Pirate; The Seavey Pendant

By OtiliaR

Cinnia lives in the small pirate port of Dur'reth with her shameful mother. At age nineteen, it seems as if... More

Foreword
1. The Night Marauder
2. Captain's Son
3. Given a Task
4. An Unpleasant Surprise
5. Doc
6. Mysterious Figures and Dishonourable Women
7. Madam Charbonneau
8. Seavey's Pendent
9. On the Doorstep
10. Derek Bequel
11. Awkward Seduction
12. Hiding
13. Caught by a Stranger
14. A Helping Thief
15. Finally Back
16. Love and War
17. A Suspect
19. Liberty is Short
20. Marine-Blue
21. A Final Battle

18. Derane's Untold Plans

204 8 2
By OtiliaR

Cinnia stared without watching as Doc locked the rusted padlock to her cell.  Her mind was still in shock, absentmindedly replaying the previous moments in her mind.  Doc stared at her sympathetically, appearing as though he wished she hadn't done it; hadn't murdered Gambara.  But she hadn't.  Cinnia wished she had seen this coming.  How could she possibly prove she hadn't done it?  Derane obviously wouldn't leave a single piece of evidence lying around that would suggest he had been the murderer of the Captain.  Another dreadful thought occurred to Cinnia: would Kieran believe me?

Cinnia didn't know what Derane had in store for the future, but if his goal was to turn her crew mates against her, he had succeeded.  But Cinnia knew that Derane's ultimate goal was revenge on her father, and framing Cinnia for a murder wasn't accomplishing that.  Whatever he's planning, this was definitely a part of it, she thought to herself.

She reached into her shirt to pull out the pendant.  Despite the fact that it had played a part in Derane discovering what family line she belonged to--bringing her nothing but trouble--she couldn't help feeling such a heartfelt connection to it.  It was after all, proof that she had more family than just her mother.  And powerful, admirable family at that.  She squinted through the poor light--a single oil lamp that hung on the wooden wall across from her cell--and looked at the half-pendant.  Where was the other half?  What was the other half?  A pearl?  But what curse did that pearl carry around?

She shook her head at all the questions.  At this point, she thought she would never live long enough to find out.  She let the pendant fall back into position underneath her shirt and listened instead to the angry shouts she heard from the deck above.  Cinnia truly did fear for her life now.  If Derane didn't get to her first, one of the other pirates might.  After a few minutes, the commotion died down, and Cinnia wondered how Doc had managed to silence the angry pirates.  The door at the top of the stairwell opened, allowing the moon light to shine in, and causing the person's shadow to be cast along the floor.  Cinnia stood up and walked over to the bars, pressing her face to the bars to see whoever it was.  She hoped it was either Doc or Kieran--a Kieran that would believe her side of the story.  Instead, Adorno walked into view, looking somber.

     Adorno looked at her with sad eyes and shook his head, "You didn't kill him, did you?"

     Cinnia frowned.  The two of them had never gotten along in the past, and he wasn't one of the people she thought would believe in her, "No, I didn't.  You believe me?"

     "How couldn't I?  I was with you the entire time in Raelith.  I would have known if you had gone off to buy some of that wolfsbane or whatever-it's-called poison.  I just don't understand why you would be framed for it."  He said, sliding down the wall across from her cell into a sitting position.

     Cinnia mirrored his action and with a sigh, she leaned her forehead against the cool, metal bars.  She decided to trust in Adorno, because in all honesty, there were few people left who she could trust in who would believe her.  "Derane framed me."

     Adorno raised an eyebrow, "That's a pretty dangerous assumption."

     "It's not an assumption," Cinnia sent him a long, hard glare.

     Adorno shrugged, "But why would he want to frame you?"

     "It's a long story.  You do know where he came from?  Who his previous Captain was?" Cinnia asked, preparing to explain everything.

     Adorno thought for a while, "That infamous Captain Seavey from the north, right?"

     Cinnia nodded.  "Yeah, that's right.  The thing is, after he was kicked out of the crew, he developed a grudge against him.  He wanted revenge."

     "I can imagine that.  And where do you come in?" Adorno asked, confused.

     Cinnia fished out the pendant once again and slipped her hand through the bars to show Adorno, who leaned forward to see it better.  "This belonged to Captain Seavey; I'm his daughter."

     Adorno's eyes widened, "No . . . That's unbelievable!  I've heard crazy stories about him!  But what's he planning then?  Or did he just lock you in here because he hates you?"

     Cinnia shrugged and leaned her forehead against the bars again, "That's what I want to know.  I'm sure he hates me.  But framing me for Captain Gambara's murder won't do anything to Seavey."   Cinnia realized she could be calling Seavey dad or father, but it seemed much too strange to refer to him as such.  She pictures Seavey as a tall, dark haired man with a twisted, scarred face and cruel eyes.  It wasn't exactly the splitting image of a fatherly figure.  She desperately hoped the real Seavey looked far different from the one Cinnia's imagination conjured.

     "But what are you going to do?  Everyone thinks you're guilty!" Adorno said.

     "There's not much I can do from in here.  I have to wait it out and see what he's planning before I can do something." Cinnia said, sounding as hopeless as she felt.  "By the way, what does Kieran think of all this?"

     Adorno shrugged, "I really don't know.  I came down here as quickly as I could.  Doc let me, right after I convinced him I wouldn't try to kill you.  Doc doesn't seem to trust you, but he doesn't want you to be harmed--" Adorno was interrupted by the sounds of someone struggling with the door.

     Cinnia could hear Doc say, "I think it best ye do not go in there,"

     Kieran's muffled voice followed, "I have to see her, Doc.  I won't hurt her, I know she's innocent.  Hell, I was with her for half the time she was in Raelith and never saw her buy that pouch of poison.  I'm sure Adorno can vouch for her for the other half; now let me in."

Doc must have given in, for the heavy door slid open, allowing the moon light to once again highlight the details of Cinnia's prison.  Kieran hurried down the stairs and worriedly peered into the cell.  Cinnia could see, even with the limited light, that Kieran was unusually worn out.  His hair was tousled, his shirt more wrinkled than normal, and a shadow of sadness crossed his features.  "Are you alright?"

     "I'm locked in a cell, framed for the murder of a man I respected.  Of course I'm alright," Cinnia said darkly.  She was happy to see Kieran though.  A burden seemed lifted off her shoulders: Kieran believed her.

     Kieran sat down, leaning his shoulder against the cell and slid a hand through the metal bars to hold Cinnia's.  Had she not been in such a stressful situation, she would have blushed.  "There must be something I can do.  I don't want you to die too.  The only reason this place hasn't been stormed with angry pirates is because Doc convinced them you would be given a just punishment.  He's so intent on keeping you safe that I think he's considering hand-making your food in the future, only so that the chef doesn't poison you."

      Cinnia thought there was something different in Kieran.  His gaze was harder and his voice sharper.  Something from him had been lost, and though Cinnia couldn't pinpoint what it was, she missed it.  But Kieran wasn't crying; it was as if he had decided to put his father's death behind him in the sake of dealing with Cinnia's potential enemy.  She doubted it was healthy for him, to simply put something so serious in the back of his mind.  She had always been told it was dangerous to try to supress one's own emotions.

     "But I promise you, I will do whatever I can in order to prove you didn't do it, and that Derane did." Kieran said as he held Cinnia's gaze.

     "As long as you do so without voicing your thoughts to the other pirates," Adorno warned, "The proof Derane used to frame Cinnia with was believable enough to land her here without any second thoughts.  If you're going to reveal Derane, you have to do so silently, without alerting someone of it.  If you don't, people would think you'd have gone crazy from Gambara's death.  Or worse, they'll think you will have been in on the murder, only so that you could take his position and gain power from it." He said without doubt in his voice--Cinnia thought that this had been something Adorno had mulled over in his mind for a while now.

     Kieran nodded and stared at his and Cinnia's clasped hands, deep in thought.  They sat in silence for a while longer until the door leading to the deck opened for a third time.  The three turned their heads towards the stairs and watched as Doc trudged down the stairs, his expression as somber as it had been a couple of hours earlier.  He stopped at the base of the stairs, his eyes flickering between the three.  "Ye two, head up.  We'll be discussing who will take over the role o' Capt'n." He said, directing his order to Adorno and Kieran.

     Adorno stood up with a sigh and Kieran gave Cinnia's hand a heartfelt squeeze before doing the same.  Together, they reluctantly made their way up the stairs and through the door.  Doc waited until they disappeared behind the closed door before he turned to Cinnia.  "The others are expecting a fair punishment."

     Cinnia protested, "Doc, I didn't do it.  What motive would I have for killing Captain Gambara?"

     Doc straightened the glasses that sat on his nose and shook his head in hopelessness.  "I don't know what t' believe, Cinnia.  Have ye ever tried t' negotiate with a pack of angry pirates, whose blind rage is fueled by the desire o' revenge?  Even if ye aren't guilty, they will want some sort o' justice done; they want someone or something t' be punished in order t' avenge our Captain's death."

     "Then how can I prove to you and them that I didn't do it?" Cinnia asked, desperate.

     "I don't know Cinnia, I really don't.  I'll be back later this evening with yer dinner." Doc smiled sympathetically at her before hurrying up the stairs.

     Cinnia stared at the spot where Doc had disappeared, her mind fuddled with confusion.  Doc couldn't have believed that she had done it; otherwise, he wouldn't be treating her in such a kind manner.  Cinnia burrowed her face in her arms and gave in to the tears, all while listening to Doc's attempt at silencing a still-frustrated crowd.

     *     *     *

After a couple of hours, the wooden door creaked open once again.  Cinnia's hazy mind regained its clarity and she leaned forward on her palms, peering through the metal bars.  The sun at this point had began to set once again, so any possibility to see the figure in the doorway had resorted to being nearly impossible.  The man's footsteps were heavier than that of Doc, Kieran and Adorno.  Cinnia's heart began to pound in anticipation.

Suddenly, Cinnia found herself staring up into Derane's cold eyes.  They glared at her.  Cinnia jumped up from her position and glared back threateningly.  In his hands he carried a tray of hard bread, a slice of dried meat and water.  Derane broke their eye contact momentarily to glance up to the closed door, but turned his eyes back on Cinnia shortly after.  He bent over to slide the tray through the little hole near the floor that would allow it.  He used the movement as an excuse to get closer , "Who would have thought ye would end up like this again?" His eyes twinkled with cruel amusement.

     "Who would have thought a supposed loyal Quartermaster would murder his own captain?" Cinnia spat sarcastically.

     "I did no such thing.  Ye did, if ye recall.  And how would ye be able to prove this t' anyone?  Who would believe ye over their new Captain?" The corners of Derane's lips twitched.

     "That role was rightfully Kieran's." Cinnia said.

     "If ye were truly a pirate, ye would know how a new Captain is determined.  But ye're just like both Kieran and yer father, aren't ye?  Neither o' them have the qualities of a real pirate.  Both are pathetic and useless, and simply pretend t' be something more than their limited abilities will allow." When Derane finished speaking, his thin lips had fully curved into a smile.

In a sudden burst of rage, Cinnia lunged towards Derane, allowing her arms to slip through the bars far enough for her chest to slam into the metal.  Derane managed to jump back just before her nails reached his throat.  His smug smile was shortly replaced with shock, but he wouldn't allow her to see such a moment of weakness, and his expression once again changed to one of satisfaction.

Cinnia ignored the pain that bloomed in her chest, and focused instead more intently on rage.  If only she could have been a millisecond quicker; if only she had gotten a hold of that man's pink throat . . .

     "Oh, ye foolish little girl.  I should throw ye to the crew, t' allow them t' have their way with ye.  But I'm still planning to use ye."

     "For what?" Cinnia asked through gritted teeth, her hands still reaching for the unreachable.

     "If I told ye, it would ruin the element of surprise." And with that, Derane turned around and without a last glance behind him, walked up the stairs.

     "What is it you want from me?!" Cinnia shouted to him, but received no response.

     She suddenly felt too tired to stand, and slid down to the wooden floor beside the tray of food.  She eyed the tray with distaste; the bread in particular.  She knew attempting to chew the hard bread would threaten to unhinge her jaw.  Her stomach protested her distaste however, and Cinnia reluctantly stuck the dried meat in her mouth while she dipped part of the bread in the water in order to soften it up.  It occurred to her that Derane could be using the food to poison her, but decided he valued her too much--and she was too hungry to resist even dried meat and hard bread.

Once done, she pushed the tray back into the narrow hallway.  Tiredly, she dragged herself across the wooden floor to the thin mattress laid out against the wall in the corner and curled up with her back to the wall.  She pulled a thin piece of cloth over her and exhaustion took her almost immediately.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

184 0 44
Seraphina Tellar was guaranteed a quiet existence in the Emerald Kingdom. She would live with her mother and father in Bluebell Cottage. She would ma...
8.1K 905 26
Summer is a thief with morals and an outcast in her town. She finds a pendant floating in the creek one evening and pawns it off for money to help he...
147K 5.8K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
45 0 8
ISBN - 978 - 1 - 78132 - 519 - 3 First Three Chapters and Map... For years, the kingdoms of Duka and Eceriden have maintained a delicate peac...