Talon the Black (Dragonwall S...

By addicted2dragons

When a wounded dragon falls from the sky, Claire Evans runs into a cornfield to rescue it. This isn't just an... More

Title Page
MAP OF DRAGONWALL
Chapter 1 - The Falling Dragon
Chapter 2 - Shadowkeep
Chapter 3 - Gold for Silence
Chapter 4 - The Chamber Pot
Chapter 5: A Familiar Face
Chapter 6 - The Price of Victory
Chapter 7 - Placing Bets
Chapter 8 - A New Protector
Chapter 9 - The King's Prophetess
Chapter 10 - A Welcome Distraction
Chapter 11 - Choosing Heroism
Chapter 12 - The Fight
Chapter 13 - An Heir
Chapter 14 - Too Late
Chapter 15 - Dragon Flight
Chapter 16 - Leave None Alive
Chapter 17 - Smoke on the Horizon
Chapter 18 - Fraught with Uncertainty
Chapter 19 - A Possible Culprit
Chapter 20 - A Fool's Errand
Chapter 21 - The Marble Dragon
Chapter 22 - An Unexpected Attack
Chapter 23 - Contending With Poison
Chapter 24 - Inside The Keep
Chapter 25 - Into the Mountains
Chapter 26 - The Gable Forest
Chapter 27 - Queen Jade of Esterpine
Chapter 28 - Esterpine
Chapter 29 - The Flying Pig
Chapter 30 - Kane's Nasks
Chapter 31 - Fort Squall
Chapter 32 - History
Chapter 33 - The Capital
Chapter 34 - A Daring Plan
Chapter 35 - The Dungeons
Chapter 36 - An Unexpected Request
Chapter 37 - The Color Black
Chapter 38 - The Trial
Chapter 39 - Responsibilities
Chapter 40 - Taming the Beast
Chapter 41 - Fulfilling a Promise
Chapter 42 - A New Position
Chapter 43 - Adjusting
Chapter 44 - Rumors in the North
Chapter 45 - Avoiding Discovery
Chapter 46 - A Bond Unveiled
Chapter 47 - The Verekblot
Chapter 48 - Bats and Blood Spiders
Chapter 50 - Queen Isabella's Price
Chapter 51 - Council Meetings
Chapter 52 - Sharing A Secret
Chapter 53 - The Impossible
Chapter 54 - Magic
Chapter 55 - The Gift
Chapter 56 - A Curious Past
Chapter 57 - Blocking the Voices
Chapter 58 - A New Promise
Chapter 59 - The Execution
Chapter 60 - Beautiful Enchantress
Preview
A Bargain
Authors Note
Dragonwall Appendix

Chapter 49 - Redcote the Fox

79K 5K 335
By addicted2dragons

Northern Barrier Range

Mikkin heard Jamie's surprised cry before his eyes opened. When the lad shook him awake with whispered curses, his own eyes widened and his breath caught in his chest. Shadows passed overhead, blotting out the sun in spurts. He jumped to his feet, pulling Jamie to the nearest tree. The forest offered some camouflage, but dragons would surely have keen eyesight and keener sense of smell. He couldn't risk discovery.

"Don't breathe, lad," he whispered, holding Jamie by the collar of his tunic. He too held his breath but was soon forced to abandon the advice.

When the last of them passed over, he sank to the ground, allowing his rapid gasps to burst from his chest. "We're safe. For now."

"I never wanted to believe you." Jamie's voice trembled. "Now that I've seen them..." For the lad, this sighting made their mission very real. Jamie wanted an adventure and now realized he had gotten more than he bargained for.

"Mikkin, where...where are they going?" The fear in Jamie's question was palpable. He looked up, tracing his gaze along the traveled path. The dragons passed them heading in the direction he and Jamie had come, a route that would take them out of the mountains and into Dragonwall's northern territories.

"Hunting, most likely. Nothin' to worry yourself over." His lie was unconvincing. The apprehension showed in his posture, in his scowl, and in his shaking hands, as he recalled the flames hot enough to melt metal. Anguished cries still echoed in his ears. His heart withered with failure and wept for his family. Vengeance was all he had left. It was powerful, driving him onward, lending him strength. Any weaker and he would have already found a way to depart this world.

"When you say hunting,"—Jamie dropped his voice to a whisper even though the threat had passed—"do you mean hunting game or hunting humans?"

"Let's hope the former." He shut his eyes, trying to see the backs of his lids. Instead, flames danced. He could feel the heat of them; he could feel their destruction.

"We must warn them! My mother...my father..." Jamie sank to his knees. "I should have never come. Gods! What have I done?"

He gazed at the lad for several moments before speaking. "If the dragons target your village, Landow is finished. You're safer with me." He thought of Belnesse, of the bell that never tolled, of his friend Renard, fighting to reach it and sound the alarm before being swallowed up whole.

"Your words make me sick," Jamie hissed, turning to retch what little his stomach had to give.

"Tynen is smart. He will protect your mother."

"Can we not warn them, Mikkin? Is there no way?" The lad wiped his mouth on his sleeve, crinkling his nose in disgust.

"Dragons have wings. So, no."

"Don't remind me of what they have." Jamie scooted away from his mess and put his head in his hands.

Nothing he could say would help. He leaned his head against the pine's trunk, closing his eyes to think. One thing was certain. He was going in the correct direction.

When Jamie next spoke, he sounded a little more like himself. "What do we do now?"

"When you're ready, pack our things. We will continue north-west in the direction from whence they came."

They walked for several hours until the sun was high in the sky. He used his bow to shoot some fowl from the trees, which he tied to his pack for later. It was a strenuous trek working their way towards higher ground. He wanted a good view of the mountain peaks, and perhaps a better view of the dragons' return.

When he located a rocky outcrop in the distance, they stopped for their midday meal before tackling it. Because they skipped breakfast, they were ravenous. The birds offered a delicious feast. Jamie's mood was understandable, though he wished he could cheer the lad somehow.

Continuing their journey, he chatted about the forest, offering beneficial tips, talking of ways to track game and find water. Anything to keep him distracted from his fear and from thinking about what the dragons might do to Landow. The advice he gave was the same he had hoped to give to his own sons. Now he would never get the chance. His heart constricted as he thought of his sons, thought of the adventures they might have shared trekking through the forests, hunting by day and gathering around the campfire in the evenings. They loved hearing stories at night, and he would have told them many during these times.

He fondly remembered their favorite, a sad smile coming to his lips. "Tell me, lad. Have you heard the story of Redcote the Fox?"

They made their way around a cluster of boulders. Talking while hiking was hard work. His words left him huffing more than usual.

"I know it," Jamie answered. "It was a favorite growing up. My father used to tell it."

He wiped the sweat beading his brow. So much for that idea....

Jamie looked at him. "You can tell it now, if you like."

"You are not too old for children's stories?" he asked. Jamie shook his head. "Good. There are always lessons to be learned even in the most childish of tales." They began a downward descent that would soon continue upward at the base of their vantage point. It was a long slope with sharp rocks and few trees. At the top, clusters of boulders were scattered to offer hiding places. Yes, it would do nicely for a look-out.

He launched into his story, eager to tell it the way he did with his sons. "There was once a just and fair king named King Noble. He presided over all the animals of the forest, for he was a lion. Every year, King Noble held an assembly for the forest animals—great and small—to discuss matters of importance. Here, they would bring forth grievances and deal justice should such a thing be necessary." He side-stepped a sharp rock, pausing momentarily to regain his footing.

"On one particular occasion during these yearly gatherings, all the animals of the forest were present. All except—"

"Redcote the Fox," Jamie said, keeping his gaze focused ahead.

"Aye." He nodded. "When it came time to report grievances, the absence of the fox was noted, for many brought accusations against him. In fact, nearly every beast in attendance testified to some crime or dark deed for which the fox was responsible—everyone except Grímnir the Badger, who was ever steadfast towards the poorly accused fox.

"The chief of these accounts was from Wendal the Wolf. Wendal claimed that Redcote had cruelly mistreated his children and shamed his wife. No sooner had the wolf ended his allegations than a new one was brought forth by Rakki the Dog. He pitifully described how he once found a small scrap of meat in a thicket and the fox unfeelingly purloined it. He explained that the fox had no concern at all for his poor, famished state.

"Amongst others to come forth was Thomas the Cat, Herald the Hare, and Morgan the Grazer. When all the animals finished their complaints, Grímnir stepped forward. Already King Noble was distraught, but he patiently listened to the badger's defense of Redcote. The badger had a way with words you see, such that soon the tables were turned upon the animals.

"Grímnir explained how Wendal the Wolf entered into a dishonest partnership with Redcote the Fox. This he did to obtain some fish from a traveler's merchant cart. As a ploy, Redcote pretended to be dead in the road, whereupon the traveler picked him up and tossed him into the wagon, greedy for his fur. In the back of the wain, Redcote began tossing fish out one by one. Rather than collect them, the greedy Wendal started eating each fish upon the road until there was nothing left! When the fox jumped from the wagon to claim his share, there was naught but bones to give."

Jamie chuckled at this part. "Poor Redcote! So misunderstood."

"Indeed!" He let the lad have his laugh, taking a moment for a breather before continuing. "After the story of the wolf and the fox, the badger set forth to bring accusations against each of the other animals in turn, who had claimed ill of the fox. Upon finishing he turned to look at them, happy to see their shock. Flattered by his eloquence, he then took matters further. He claimed that ever since King Noble decreed peace, the fox had taken up a holy life in penance to the gods, hoping Verek would one day bless him. Thus, the complaints were almost dismissed.

"At that very moment, Kockle the Rooster appeared, followed by his two sons. They bore the mangled remains of a poor hen. Kockle claimed that when the proclamation for peace was declared, Redcote had come forth dressed as a hermit carrying the parchment from the king himself. Redcote claimed that he wished to share the message with the hens and handed forth the parchment. Overjoyed by the news, Kockle invited his family into the open. The hens proceeded unprotected into the forest where Redcote lay in wait. The fox then proceeded to attack all but five of his brood and devour them, except for this one, which still died anyway. Kockle laid the remains of the hen's body at the feet of King Noble, as was custom in matters of death.

"The king was most disturbed. He called forth his strongest guard, Blackjack the Bear. He bid Blackjack to summon Redcote from his home and bring him forth to the forest council, where he would undergo trial for his crimes. The bear agreed and set upon his long journey. When he arrived at the fox's den, he was tired and hungry. Many times did he pound upon the door to no avail, for the fox was inside devising a plan.

"After a time, the fox leaned out of his window and shouted to the bear, apologizing for taking his time. He explained that the reason for the delay was because he was indisposed from poor digestion. You see, he had all this honey, nasty, sticky, and sweet, but it did a number on his bowels.

"The bear, a lover of honey, became very distracted by the mention of it. So when Redcote invited Blackjack in to help relieve him of the horrid stuff, the bear was happy to oblige. Redcote explained that his stores were rather low, which was most unfortunate, and that he would need Blackjack to help him obtain more. He assured the bear that he knew exactly where to find it.

"Blackjack forgot all about the summons and happily agreed. The two of them set off across the river to a peasant's yard where a half-split tree-trunk sat. Redcote explained to his companion that he need only thrust his nose into the hollow and feed his fill on the honey supply. Blackjack happily agreed and inserted not only his muzzle, but his paws too. At this point, the tricky fox cleverly removed the wedges of the trunk such that the tree snapped together, leaving the poor bear prisoner."

Again Jamie laughed, bursting into a fit. "I can see him now," he cried. "Oh how he must have felt, stuck in that tree covered in sticky honey!"

Mikkin smiled and nodded, then continued his tale. "The sound of Blackjack's howls brought the peasant and many helpers too, all in possession of various weapons to kill the bear, but Blackjack succeeded in wrenching himself free. Angered, he returned to King Noble and submitted his grievance against the fox.

"And so for a second time, the fox was summoned." He looked at Jamie, catching the lad's eye. The story was working. Unlike most, he told his version a little differently, embellishing some of his own ideas, and the lad seemed to like that. They were almost to the top of the outcropping now, and a few times he had to reach down to the steep slope for balance while climbing.

Continuing his rendition—though it left him rather out of breath—he started again. "After the second summons for Redcote, it was Thomas the Cat who agreed to go forth and fetch the fox. When Thomas arrived, Redcote was gracious. He told the cat of a wondrous barn where there were mice aplenty. Distracted by the mention of mice, Thomas commanded Redcote to lead the way. Redcote showed Thomas the small hole which the cat could easily squeeze through. Redcote knew that the farmer's son had set many traps the day before to catch any trespassers. Thus, the cat was ensnared.

"When King Noble found out, he was infuriated. King Noble declared that he would give the fox one last summons before his guards were sent to kill him. Grímnir the badger agreed to go forth, for he knew the fox would not try to tempt him. After all, they were friends.

"When he arrived, he explained to Redcote the situation, and Redcote begrudgingly agreed to set forth. And so the two of them made their way to the forest to treat with the king.

"When the fox met with the king, he fell to his knees pitifully. He argued that all of his misdeeds were done because of the insurmountable fortune he discovered. He explained that he had found chests of gold, and that it had turned him wicked.

"King Noble perked up at the mention of gold, for lions are fond of riches. The lion listened to the fox's pleading. Redcote explained that he knew he was wrong, apologizing profusely. He told the king that if His Majesty could only take the gold off of his hands, his life would return to normal. He promised that if the king should do such a thing, he would never again disobey. Instead, he would make a pilgrimage in honor of the gods to the sacred temples in Kengr.

"The king was very enticed by this, so he agreed. He told the fox that if the location of the gold was given, the fox might indeed depart upon his pilgrimage. Overjoyed, the fox quickly explained the location of the treasure. He even drew the mighty king a map. Happy and elated by the hunt, the king bid the fox safe travels then dismissed him. Gathering together his household, the lion set forth in search of the treasure, but when he arrived at the destination, there was no gold to be had.

"Angered by the trickery, he made haste back to his home where he dispatched guards to search for the fox. Far and wide they looked, but they never found old Redcote. And thus the fox settled in a new kingdom far to the north, beyond the Northern Barrier Range, where he repeated his wickedness all over again, for the fox was smart. He knew that greed was a powerful ploy, and one need only play upon the greed of another to make gains. In so doing, brain would always win over brawn."

Jamie applauded just as they crested the rocky outcropping. He was covered in sweat as the sun beat down upon them. With few trees for shelter, they were exposed to its harsh rays.

"Your retelling is favorable to my father's," the lad admitted. "Though, if we ever see him again, keep that to yourself."

"I certainly will." He took deep breaths, allowing his breathing to slow.

"Shall I climb that rock there and see what I see?" Jamie offered. He too wished to look out over the mountains and the valley beyond. He agreed, and the two of them selected a particularly large boulder atop the outcropping, using the rock's uneven surface to climb their way to the top.

The view was spectacular. Already the sun was dropping to the horizon creating an orange glow on their world. He looked first to the north, studying the mountainous backdrop. Somewhere there, a dragon's lair was hiding. Then he turned and saw Jamie's face. The lad was motionless. He'd gone pale.

He looked in the same direction and saw something he never wished to. His stomach sank. Smoke, just visible on the horizon, was rising in tendrils as it snaked towards the sky. The dragons had burned today, they had killed today, and they would not stop.

"If I ever find them," Jamie whispered, fury rising in his voice. "I'll kill them."

He clenched his fists, vengeance flaring up within him. "We will kill them together."

⭐🌟 DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!🌟⭐

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 7K 92
Josh dreams of dragons. He thinks it's just a welcome escape from everyday life. Until one morning, he wakes up with scales, wings, and a tail. Josh...
348 54 18
Seventeen-year-old Raina Brandt has never fit in. A physical disability means she's bullied at school by popular kids like Hector, and only her two b...
1.2K 216 49
This is a story about having everything falling apart in a girl life , finding her true destiny to falling in love with someone unexpectedly who not...