A Pawn For Time (Daughter of...

By emelinagreco

*EDITING* "Sometimes you gotta bleed to know that you're alive and have a soul." ~•~ From the moment that she... More

(1) The Beginning
(2) Decisions
(3) Our Little Girl
(4) Meeting
(5) Family is Forever
(6) Tragedy
(7) This is Me
(8) Things are Getting Weird
(9) Camp Jupiter
(10) Praetors
(11) A Quest
(12) Starting (And Leaving) Camp
(13) Wait What?
(14) My Parents
(15) Waking up...Sort Of
(16) Breakfast
Author's Note
(17) I Can Explain
(18) Remembering
(19) Fine?
(20) Like I'm Scared of a God
(21) Meeting My Siblings
(22) I Attack the Ground
(23) Overprotective, Much?
(24) Truth Be Told
(25) Getting to Know an... Ally?
(26) Talks of Fate
(27) Piecing it Together
(28) I'm Coming Home
(29) Torn
(30) Who Will it Be?
(31) Mistress?
(32) The Threads of Power
(33) We Visit Fate
(34) Dreams and Illusions
(35) Death Wishes
(36) Interrogation
(37) When Reality Hits...
(38) Revelations
(40) When in Rome Do As the Romans
(41) Stalking Isn't Very Nice
(42) I'm About To Die? Typical.
(43) Know Your Frenemies
(44) For Whom the Bell Tolls
(45) Hello and Goodbye
Epilogue
Sequel
Author Note
Q&A

(39) Is Normal Too Much to Ask For?

1.7K 72 14
By emelinagreco

•Katherine's Point of View•

I was let out of the infirmary three days ago. Currently, I'm laying on a bench in Demeter's garden, staring at the sky. I'm left with only my thoughts these days, so I always try my best to recap the latest events.

Ever since I've left the infirmary, my parents have been acting slightly strange. But what's new?

I can tell that they are planning something. They aren't the best at covering things up. I'd walk in on them talking and ask what's up. They would stutter and avoid me for the rest of the day.

But that was the case for only some of them. Unlike Athena, Hera, Zeus, and Hades, they could never lie to my face. I'm not too worried about their behavior, though.

Lately, I have been focusing on me. Ever since I began acting like I rejoined my parents side, I've had nightmares about my death, and my killer. Also, I've seen memories of fallen demigods during battle. I didn't understand why. It's not like there's actually anyone coming to kill me.... right?

I've been working on my attitude as well. Thanks to all those months in isolation as Mistress, I've grown darker on the inside. It's as if my heart is frozen solid. I have a great difficulty feeling happy emotions. It was as if I had nothing inside. Just emptiness, coldness, and lack of anything substantial.

I thought back to my times as Mistress. Sure, everyone treated me well, but I was bitter. I shut everyone down; refused to show emotion. I was cruel. I knew that behind my back everyone called me the ice queen.

I sighed. There's no point in dwelling on the past. I moved my head in boredom. Did I mention that I'm under house arrest? I'm not allowed to leave Olympus or communicate with anyone outside of Olympus.

I sighed. Olympus can be really boring if you don't have temples or shrines to check up on. It sucks even more considering I'm supposed to keep up this act for awhile.

Swarms of unease have been circling my gut for days now. I forgot that when I'm around Olympus, I remember all of the good things about it. I keep finding it harder to act like I want to be here. Secretly, in the back of my mind, I think I do. Why does everything have to be so complicated?

I sat up and attempted to smooth down my mane of curly hair. My fingers got stuck as I ran them through my hair. I puffed and gave up.

"Katherine?" I heard someone call. Demeter rounded the corner of the wall of bushes surrounding the fountain and bench.

"Mmh? What's up?" I asked. I said it as sweetly as I could, which wasn't really that sweet at all. Thank you for the deep commanding voice, Kronos. I really appreciate it.

"The council wishes to speak to you," She said. Her voice shook, letting me know that she was nervous. I stood and followed her quietly.

We reached the throne room. Demeter grew to her normal 20-foot-tall self and sat on her throne. They took away my throne after I left, and they never put it back, so I awkwardly stood in front of the U-shaped thrones.

I folded my arms. Zeus moved his gaze to me.

"Katherine, there's something we need to ask you," Zeus said. He shifted in his seat.

"In honor of your return, we were thinking that we should celebrate," He said slowly, waiting for my reaction. I scrunched my eyebrows together.

"You mean throw a party?" I asked. Zeus nodded. I bit my lip. It was one thing to pretend around my parents. It was another to do it around others.

"We were thinking that a party with the other gods and goddesses could really help you be less," Hera paused, "Anti-social."

I tilted my head in agreement. "When are you planning to have the party?"

"Tonight." I stepped back.

"Tonight?" I echoed, "And you're just telling me this?"

"Yeah," Aphrodite said eagerly, "We thought that if you knew ahead of time, you wouldn't want to go."

"You guys know me too well," I muttered, making it appear like I believed that. Poseidon smiled.

"The party will commence at 8," Hera said, "Meaning you have about 7 hours to get ready."

"We better get going now," Aphrodite said, getting off her throne, "7 hours limits us extremely."

She grabbed my hand and led me out of the throne room. I skeptically followed, confused as to how 7 hours is a short amount of time to get ready.

I looked back with a look that said help me! They just laughed.

6 and a half hours later

7:30 P.M.

I cringed as Aphrodite applied my black eyeliner.

"Hold still! You're going to make it smudge," She said for about the thousandth time today.

In the last few hours, I've had an entire spa makeover. My face has been painted completely, making it impossible to see my freckles and (few) pimples.

Aphrodite fixed my curly hair, making it look coiffed and flowing. Using a silver hair clip, she pinned it into a half-up.

I haven't seen what I'm supposed to be wearing. I'm not too worried about it, seeing as she is the goddess of beauty. She knows what will look good on me. That's about as normal as it gets with Aphrodite.

I don't know how she's supposed to get ready in 30 minutes, but I've learned to not underestimate the power of Aphrodite.

"Done!" She gratefully said, leaning away from me. She spun the salon chair I was sitting in to face the mirror. I gasped at my appearance.

I was right to assume that every pimple and freckle wasn't visible. My scar wasn't even visible! Aphrodite evened out my skin tone, making it look less pasty.

The dark makeup she applied on my eyes made my eyes pop. My dark blue eyes now looked like a murky light blue. I smiled and for once, it reached my eyes. I knew that I actually really did appreciate my appearance.

"I love it!" I thanked her. I stood and tackled her in a hug. Aphrodite chuckled.

"You haven't seen your outfit yet! Trust me you'll love it more than your makeup," She said motioning to the closet, "I'll leave you alone to get dressed. See you at the party!" With that, she disappeared in a cloud of pink smoke.

I opened the closet door. My breath hitched. Aphrodite was right the dress was down right gorgeous.

I wondered if my dads knew what Aphrodite had transformed me to look like. I went from looking 19 to 27 in a matter of five minutes. This dress will make me look wow.

I slipped on the gown. It's soft fabric brushed my skin, leaving tingling feelings all over. I zipped it up and exhaled.

I tucked my feet into the shoes Aphrodite left for me. They were three-inch pumps that made me look at least 6'3.

Heels weren't exactly my choice of shoes, considering that I'm naturally 6'0. I look like a giant when I wear heels.

I put on the jewelry that was left for me. I adjusted the necklace to where it was in the exact center of my two collarbones.

Glancing at the mirror, I told myself that I can have a good time while doing my part for Kronos. It had been awhile since I've last had fun. It couldn't hurt to loosen up a bit.

You look ravishing, my darling, Kronos' said smoothly. I felt warmth wrap around me, as if someone just put a heating pad on my shoulders. This was Kronos' equivalent to a hug.

I hid my grin and straightened my dress. I scanned myself in the mirror. I guess I did look pretty great.

If only I could be with you, Kronos sighed. I rubbed my arms.

You will, one day. I just know it. We'll be together with no one stopping us. We can love each other freely, I thought back. The idea made me want to spin around the room like a little girl.

It means a lot to me that you feel that way, His voice almost whispered.

He was quiet for a second, then continued.

Katherine?

Yeah?

I love you.

Those three simple words almost knocked me to the moon. My heart felt like it was going to burst in my chest. I smiled wide, and blinked back the tears of joy.

I love you, too. I remarked. For a minute, I stood in his warm embrace, not wanting anything else in the world but to be with him.

I looked at the clock on the wall. 7:55 P.M. I sighed. Time to make my grand entrance.

Goodbye, Kronos. I thought.

I left Aphrodite's "salon" and made my way to the ballroom doors. Two guards stood waiting for me. They bowed to me.

"No need to do that," I said hastily, "You don't have to bow to me." They looked at me like I was an alien, then slowly nodded.

"Ladies and gentlemen, tonight we gather to honor the return of Princess Katerina," I heard the announcer boom and cheers erupted, "She has been lost for so long, but now decides to finally present herself to the kingdom! Please help me me to welcome Princess Katerina!"

The doors opened and the white light blinded me. I lifted my hand to shield the light and walked forward.

My parents were standing at the top of the stairs with me. They gave me warm smiles as they clapped. I looked forward at the dark sea of people.

I smiled, thinking of Kronos and I's little moment and stood up taller. Everyone cheered harder. I swallowed. There's never a dull moment with my family, is there?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

369K 6.4K 22
Girlfriend: broke up with me Poseidon: got in a bad fight with him Camp: got kicked out Sally and Paul: left the country Percy Jackson: gone After b...
8.6K 693 64
"The Olympians have been called many things, but forgiving is not one of them." * - * - * [adventure, dark comedy, romance - book 1] Loyalty. What d...
64.1K 1.6K 47
You are hiding a whole life from your paternal and maternal side. Your mother, Amelia Wayland, was indeed a shadow hunter, and father wait for it...
32.7K 733 17
"I would hope he has enough sympathy in his selfish body to not put another child through what I had to grow up with." _ Arya will go down in history...