Forgetting Love

By Gabs604

**Sequel to Stolen Love** It's been nearly a year since I was kidnapped. Life is finally starting to get b... More

Forgetting Love
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
Epilogue
Author's Note

2

14.1K 247 29
By Gabs604

*3 months later*

"You have got to be kidding me," I mutter hitting my head against the steering wheel. I turn the key again but my car just won't start.

Of course this happens. First, my professors pounded me with loads of of homework, and now when I have to go to work, my car won't start.

I glance at the time and groan. If I start running now, I might make it in time. Only a slight chance, but it's better than nothing.

I step out of the car in to the cool October air. Normally I would stop to admire the colorful trees, but I don't have time to.

I bend down and take my black flats off my feet, keeping them in my hands. Running barefoot is better than wearing these stupid shoes. This is going to hurt so much. Before I can tell myself how bad of an idea this is, I burst in to a sprint. I hop from foot to foot until I can get in to the grass, it feels a little better, only a little.

I mutter small obscenities every time a rock digs in to my foot, which is about every step. This must be a sight, a girl running around the University of Michigan bare foot wearing a white blouse and a black skirt. At least my hair is in a bun, that saves me some dignity.

Caleb, my youngest brother, would get a kick out of this. He enjoys watching me make a fool out of myself, especially while being hurt in the process.

Everyone I pass stops what they're doing and stares at me. Usually I'd freak out and get all nervous, but I have nothing to lose. Most people that see me recognize me anyways, so at least they have a real reason to be staring at me.

My skirt starts to ride up my waist revealing my upper thigh, so I have to keep pushing it down. A blue mustang convertible full of guys I know from my classes drives along side me. They honk the horn and whistle, this is so degrading. "Want a ride?" One of them calls.

I roll my eyes, these are the type of guys that only do things for pretty, defenseless girls that are having a bad day. Reason they do it, so they can get her number and eventually get laid. It's a pretty blunt way to say it, but it's true.

Normally, I'd laugh at the girls who fell for it. I mean, how could you be so dumb and look that pitiful. My blood begins to boil, how dare these guys think I'm that type of girl.

First off, I'm not defenseless. I used to scare the crap out of some guys at my high school. Maybe not scare, but intimidate them, make them nervous. So here comes these guys thinking I'm easy prey. I'm not used to this type of thing happening. It's really frustrating.

Secondly, this is actually a pretty normal day for me. Things never go my way. My life isn't this bad, is it? I mean it's not the best, but this is just mocking me.

Lastly, probably the biggest reason, why the heck would I get in a car with a bunch of strangers? Especially after being kidnapped for 5 months straight.

"Just keep driving," I say to them putting on the sweetest smile I can. "Jerks," I mutter to myself.

The driver looks like the biggest jerk out of all of them. His short brown hair is spiked with gel and a diamond earring is in his left ear. He looks surprised by my answer and says, "Maybe some other time." Even his smile looks fake. He whistles one more time at me before he and his buddies drive away.

There are so many words I can think of to describe those guys, but I'm to nice to say them.

Even though I missed most of my senior year, I was able to work it out with my teachers and graduated. I took most of my high school credits my freshman, sophomore and junior years. It didn't take long to convince the school I could graduate.

My parents would have preferred that I went to a college closer to home. However, they knew that it's always been a dream of mine to be a Michigan Wolverine. It took about three weeks of begging for my Mom to let me go, and an additional one when I didn't want to stay in a dorm.

I didn't want to have to share a room with someone. I was forced to share a bed with a guy for five months, I've been wanting alone time forever. She doesn't want me to be alone though, she'll probably never treat me the same way again.

I'm still Morgan. It's just that I've grown faster than she wanted me to, and now it's time for me to go. Also because she was robbed of a half year with me, but that's not our faults.

We reached an agreement that I could stay in an apartment if it's near campus, I called every Sunday, and Ryan lived in the same complex.

I was ok with the first two, but the part about Ryan was awkward. We still agreed to do it though, anything for me.

I tried dating Ryan on the request of someone very close to me, but it didn't work out.

Especially when I found that special someone, Matt, outside a cafe after months of him hiding from me. Things went down hill from there and within the week, Ryan and I were finished.

Things haven't been the same between us. I feel bad, Ryan's always trying to figure out what went wrong. Whenever he asks, I just tell him it didn't feel right, we were to close of friends. It spared him some heartbreak, he doesn't know my heart belongs to someone else.

No one does. Not even Matt, and he's the one that owns it. Matt and I started dating a few days after Ryan and I broke up. I said yes as soon as the words left his mouth.

It's been tricky though. Matt and I still keep it a secret. No one else knows I'm dating anyone. If I'm asked about it, I always say, "I'm just ready for a relationship right now." I've said it so many times, that I actually believe it.

Well at least until I get a text from Matt.

The last couple months have been the hardest. Matt has to be extra sneaky when he visits, especially since Ryan is right down the hall. If Ryan ever saw Matt, he'd know something is up. He wouldn't forget the man who helped save me.

It probably break the fragile friendship we share now. I just want my best friend back.

Before I know it, I'm standing outside my work. I work as a waitress at a small family owned restaurant. It has a nice atmosphere and the owners are great people.

I quickly put my black flats on and fix my blouse and skirt. Just before I walk in the door, I get a text from Matt, it says, "Have a nice day at work." I can almost hear him say it and it makes me feel all warm inside. I hope I have a good day, but right now it's far from it.

I arrived a few minutes late, but my manager understood. Lauren is the eldest daughter of the owners. She's a couple years older than me, so she understands most of my problems. Her hair is a straight chestnut brown and her eyes are a shade of amber.

I put my black apron on and prepare myself for these next few hours of work, and later homework. I just love college so much.

I walk out of the kitchen to my first customer of the day. The restaurant is decorated like most others. It's got a cozy feel to it and you feel welcomed.

The guy at the table has the menu up to his face, "May I get you something to drink, sir?" I ask with a sweet smile.

He lowers the menu, and I frown. It's the driver of the blue mustang. He wears a smirk of triumph on his face when he sees me. "Can't stay away from me, huh?" He asks.

I refrain from screaming. I can barely contain myself, life hates me so much. I look at him expectantly, "I'll take a water please," he says finally. He looks up at me and winks. "I'm Ashton, by the way."

The more I listen and look at this guy, the more he looks like a jerk. This is going to be a fun day at work.

By the time 10 rolls around, my feet are aching and I have a splitting headache. Usually working here is tolerable, enjoyable even, but not today.

It was miserable. About 10 babies were brought in today and all of them loved to cry, a lady's patience with me was about as thick as a piece of twine, and I had people, who recognized me, asking me what being kidnapped for five months was liked was like.

And to top it all off, Ashton thought it'd be fun to stay the whole time. He's been hitting on me and trying to get my number the whole time. He just won't take no for an answer!

The restaurant is empty except for him and me. Lauren left a few minutes ago, and since Ashton is the last customer and he's my responsibility, I have to wait until he leaves to lock up.

The most annoying part of all of this is that he is just sitting there. He finished his cheeseburger hours ago. I have wait to go home and do my assignments because a guy has a crush on me.

I really don't need this. The obsessiveness reminds me to much of Chris, and it scares me. I won't let it show, but I'm terrified. Why can't he leave me alone?

Maybe this is some sick prank because he knows what happened to me. It wouldn't surprise me, I've already had immature kids try to do things like phone calls saying, "I'll be back," and stupid crap like that.

Ashton doesn't seem like that type of guy though. He wouldn't waste his time on a game. I think he's being serious about all of this.

He probably doesn't know who I am. The only reason he knows my name is because of my name tag. I won't even talk to him unless it's work related.

Most guys run away as soon as they realize that I was the girl kidnapped for five months. I don't know why, they just do. It kind of bothers me, but sometimes it's a relief.

I look at the time, it's 10:20. I should be home by now. I'll never get there if I don't talk to him.

Finally, I leave the kitchen and walk to the booth Ashton is sitting at. His soft green eyes meet mine, but before he can say anything, I say, "Okay, so I should be home right now. I think it's time for you to leave so I can finish my assignments." I don't sugar coat it or anything. I'm not afraid to let my frustration show.

I prepare myself for a snarky comeback, but he surprises me by saying, "Fine."

I raise an eyebrow, I was expecting a huge battle. Something is finally going good for me today. Still, there is something about his smile that is unsettling. "Ok, good," I say warily.

He gets up, and walks out the door. I sigh in relief, finally.

I do one finally check around before I shut the lights off. My feet scream with each step, I'm really regretting that run from earlier.

As soon as I open the door, cool air envelopes me. The street seems unusually silent and darkness swallows up most light. Gosh, I hate night.

I lock the door behind me. It's ok, I say to myself, once you get in your car-

It's like a slap to my face. How am I supposed to get home? I'm not walking. Walking alone scares me enough, but at night, that's out of the question.

I could always go back inside and call Ryan for a ride, but I'd feel bad taking him away from his studies. It wouldn't be fair to him.

"Need a ride?" A voice calls out from the darkness. I let out a small yelp.

"You scared me," I say to Ashton. I didn't see him leaning against the passenger side of his car in the parking lot. Sometimes paranoia makes me blind.

He laughs lightly. "Now is another time," he says, recalling from earlier in the day when I said, 'Maybe some other time.'

This is why he wasn't reluctant to leave, he knew I would need a ride. This guy may be beyond annoying, but he is smart.

I sigh in defeat, I don't have any other choices. "Fine," I say. I can almost feel the sense of victory coming from him.

"Great," he says beaming. He opens up my door for me to get in. I force my legs to carry me there. Once I'm in, he shuts the door. Oh, what a gentleman.

The top of his convertible is up. My inner car fanatic starts to go crazy. This car is awesome. It's a 2013 Mustang GT convertible. I can't wait to here the engine roar to life.

My mouth must be hanging or something, because when Ashton gets in, he says, "Sweet ride, isn't she?"

"Yeah," I say in lala land. If there is one thing I will remember about this night, it will be riding in my dream car.

The engine is a god. 420 horsepower rages beneath the hood, waiting to be unleashed. Unfortunately, I won't get that ride. I'm going home, and will forget all about Ashton.

The ride is surprisingly quiet. I keep waiting for him to say something, but he doesn't. This guy really confuses me.

Five minutes later, we pull up in front of my apartment. He puts the car in park. A thought rushes through my mind and out my mouth, "How do you know where I live?"

He looks down at his hands, "I'm friends with Ryan," he says honestly.

"Wait, so you knew who I was the whole time?" I ask, referring mostly to my kidnapping.

"Yes. Look, I'm sorry if I freaked you out or anything like that. It's just, I thought you seemed pretty cool and I want to get to know you." He pauses, "I'm not usually like that. I guess I'm not used to being turned down."

I can't believe he thought all of that after learning what happened to me. Maybe he's not as big of a jerk as I thought.

I look down feeling slightly guilty about being so quick on judging him. "How about we get to know each other as friends," I offer, "and see how things go from there?" I know all we'll ever be is friends. I have Matt, but I know saying that will help him feel better.

He looks at me smiling again, "That'd be great."

I tell him goodbye, and then rush in to the apartment building. I walk up a flight of stairs to the second floor.

I am so exhausted, I wish I could go to sleep, but I can't. I fumble with the keys outside my door, this is going to be a long night.

As soon as I walk in the room though, my spirits lift. I run over and hug him, it's amazing how he makes my day so much better. "Hey, Matt. What are you doing here?" I ask taking in the warmth of his embrace.

"You know, I was in the neighborhood," Matt says jokingly. He's referring to Spider-Man, my favorite super hero. We pull apart, "Actually," he says, his deep brown eyes looking straight in to mine, "I just missed you."

"I missed you too," I say giving him a quick kiss.

I toss my bag on the side of the couch, "Don't you usually get back earlier?" He asks sitting down.

"A little bit. I had car trouble." I walk over to the kitchen area and grab a granola bar, "Want anything?"

"Nah, I'm good."

My apartment is similar to most others. The living room and kitchen share a room. It's a basic kitchen, with a fridge, microwave, and stove; nothing overly fancy. The tile is white and the dry wall is a cream color.

The living room, or area as I should say, has a small leather couch and a coffee table that sits in front of it. A 42" flat screen is across the room from it. Most of my school work and lap top is cluttered on top of the coffee table.

I rip the wrapper off and take a bite out of my sweet and salty almond bar. I love these so much. I slide my shoes off by the door and lounge on the couch next to Matt.

"I am so tired," I moan leaning in to Matt.

"Oh come on, it's not that bad," he jokes.

"See that?" I motion to the table, "All due tomorrow."

He shrugs and gives me a boyish grin, "I still don't see the problem."

"Says computer brain." Matt is insanely smart. It's almost like he has a computer programmed in his head. That, or he has a photographic memory. Whichever it is, he graduated at the top of his class last year. Now he works as a private investigator, not bad for a 23 year old.

"Hmm, maybe you'd have more time if you didn't procrastinate," he says before leaning in and kissing me long and slow.

"I don't know," I say when we pull apart, "I don't see a problem with procrastinating," I kiss him again, both of us grinning.

After awhile, I reluctantly get up. "I should probably shower and then start on my work, at this rate I'll never get it done." Matt leans back trying to look completely innocent, I laugh before going to the bathroom.

I take my hair out of it's bun, then brush the tangles out. A couple weeks ago I got a haircut, my hair is about shoulder length now. I'm still not used to it, but Matt thinks it's cute.

The warm water soothes my aching muscles. I take a quick shower so I don't keep Matt waiting to long, he'll have to leave soon anyways.

I put on a pair of fuzzy pair if pajama pants with basketballs on it, and a white t-shirt with the same print.

I walk out of the bathroom and back in to the main room, "I hope I wasn't gone to long..." I trail off because I realize I'm the only one in here. "Matt?" I ask quietly, more to myself than anyone,

Did I really shower that long? No, that was short for me, so where did Matt go?

He probably got called off to work, he's been woken up at 4 in the morning before. I slump down on the couch and put my lap top on my lap. It kind of disappoints me he left without saying good bye, that's unlike him.

I'm about to open up my first text book when there's a knock on the door. I smile and hop up, he must have forgot something in the car.

I'm about to turn the knob, when I question myself. Matt has a key, so he wouldn't knock on my door. It's times like this when I wish I had a peep hole.

My heart beat picks up a little. Ever since I've got back, I've been a nervous wreck. Someone knocking on my door would bother me even if it wasn't 11 at night.

"Come on," I say to myself, "Man up. Chris and his family are in jail, no one will hurt you."

I take a deep breath, it helps calm my nerves, only a little though. I open the door and give a small smile so I look friendly.

"Hi Morgan," Ryan says. He's holding a book and paper. I feel slightly guilty, of course it'd be Ryan, I've been helping him on some assignments for the past few weeks. His black hair looks like it hasn't been brushed all day.

Mom's right, I need to forget and move on. It'd be the best for everyone. "Hey," I say smiling. Ryan and I are still friends even though we broke up, things are awkward sometimes though.

"I was wondering if you could help me on-" he stops mid-sentence, looks of confusion and betrayal mixing on his face. His eyes aren't on me, but on something behind me in the room.

Or someone one, oh no. Please no, I really don't need this.

I slowly look behind me, my breath caught in my throat. My suspicions were correct, standing in the middle of the room is Matt, looking just as stunned as Ryan.

Crap.

I look back at Ryan, or at least where he used to be. He's storming down the hallway, I run after him, "Ryan, wait!"

Matt stays in the room, knowing this is something for us to work out. Ryan stops and turns to me, "What?" He asks, "Are you going to start telling me sorry and hope it's ok? That's not going to work this time." He starts to turn around again.

"No, stop, you don't understand-"

"Then tell me, Morgan, because I'd really like to hear what the heck is going on." His dark brown eyes are watery, tears of betrayal.

"I- you wouldn't understand," I say. Nothing I could say would make this ok.

"I thought we were best friends," he looks away from me, "I guess you've changed more than I thought." He sounds so hurt that it's like a punch to my gut.

"He saved me," I say desperately.

"His brother kidnapped you for gosh sakes! How stupid can you be?"

"He's different from his family, he helped me and you know that! Stop acting like he's a freaking villain!"

"Ok, so why'd you keep it a secret then? If you were so sure he's a great person why I am the first to find out? What would your parents think?"

"This is exactly why I didn't tell anyone! I knew you would be the first to judge him because you have a huge crush on me! " As soon as I say it, I wish I could take it back.

He looks away from me, and quietly says, "I don't know who you are anymore. Chocolate was taken a year ago, and never came back." He enters his room and slams the door shut, leaving me in the middle of the hall.

I numbly stand outside his room No matter how much I try to deny it, I know Ryan's right. I'm not the same girl I used to be. "You're right," I say through the door, "If you don't like me for who I am now, I guess this friendship is over."

The walk back to my room couldn't be longer. I'm fighting back tears the entire way, if he doesn't like me anymore because I change, we were never real friends.

We've been living a lie for most of our lives. Sad thing is, it took for so much to happen for us to realize it.

I get back in the room, "I'm so sorry. That was all my fault," Matt says.

"It was going to happen sooner or later," I say walking towards him. Not knowing what else to do or say, I hug him, because sometimes that's the biggest comfort I need.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

561 17 6
Sequel to How NOT To Kidnap a Boyfriend (but you can read this without reading it if you'd like). The girls are back! And each one has a story to tel...
Crash By London Bailey

Mystery / Thriller

7.2K 209 14
(Previously titled Kidnapped) Have you ever imagined what you would do if you were kidnapped. I think most people have, I know I did... How I imagine...
Stolen By Jay Bean

Mystery / Thriller

1M 26.8K 38
WARNING: This story was written a few years back and has MANY grammar and spelling errors so please don't read if that will bug you. You have been wa...
Forever Mine By elminey

Mystery / Thriller

53.5K 1.3K 63
Sequel to You're mine!!! Avery's life was just beginning. She was engaged, just graduated college until a note is left in her apartment with the we...