Peace by Piece-Rucas

By taylorcochran93

Riley Matthews is a divorcee, single mother and all around man hater. Can Riley get over her man hating ways... More

Peace by Blind Date?
Peace by Hope.
Peace by Lust.
Peace by Patience.
Peace by Persistence
Peace by Reliability.
Peace by Love.
Piece by Piece.
Peace by Introduction
Peace by Play.
Peace by Fun.
Peace by Truth.
Peace by Past.
Peace by Fight.
Peace by Silliness.
Peace by Vulnerability
Peace by Nerves.
Peace by Confidence.
Peace by Confrontation.
Peace by Damage Control.
Peace by Forgiveness.
Peace by Love Part 2.
Peace by Rant.
Peace by Getaway.
Peace by Dream.
Peace by Stubbornness.
Peace by Permission.
Peace by Unforgiving.
Peace by Passion.
Peace by Proposal.
Epilogue.
A/N: GMW CHOICE AWARDS
Peace by Piece One Shot. Happy Birthday Lucas!
Peace by Piece One Shot. I Cried.<3
Peace by Piece One Shot. The Answer Is No.<3

Peace by Friendship.

2.6K 83 45
By taylorcochran93

Chapter 6

Riley was running on the treadmill with a blank expression across her face. What'd you do Riles? It had been a few days since she had that anxiety attack and she still couldn't believe what she did. They listened to that song at day care all the time, it was a beautiful song, and she didn't realize it would be a trigger. That song made her green with envy, you just want that for your daughter. You want that for Emily. "Lucas."

"I want to be with you, I want to meet Emily. I want to eventually be a husband to you and a stepfather to her."

A small smile approached her lips, she had an anxiety attack and he was still there. She had a child and he was still there. "Could he stay?" No everyone leaves. "Am I seriously arguing with myself right now?" Her hand slammed on the red STOP button and slowly cooled down. It was 6:40, he probably wouldn't be up, but she didn't care. The brunette could seriously have screwed up if he wasn't so persistent, thank God he was. Why did it take her so long to realize that?

Good morning beautiful.

Hi. Did I wake you?

Yes, but I don't mind. Waking up to your voice is pretty fantastic.

About the other day-

Don't worry about it sweetheart.

What?

Don't worry about that. I will always be here for you, I will always be there to ease your anxiety. I will hold you for as long as you allow, and you can claw the back of my neck as much as you need. I will always be here even when you try to break up with me.

Her eyes welled up with tears, she cleared her throat quickly and composed herself.

That's um, that's probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me.

I'm not going anywhere Riley. You have no idea how much I care about you.

I guess I don't.

I'm going to prove it to you. Saturday at noon, I've arranged for a baby sitter in case Charlie bails again. Pack for an overnighter, you're coming to my ranch.

Really?

Really, really. But since today is Thursday I'd expect a surprise visit sometime today or tomorrow.

Can I at least say I'm sorry?

Yes, but there's nothing to apologize for. You were upset.

I feel like I owe you an explanation.

Maybe, but when you're ready. Who knows, maybe Saturday, but for now it is 7 so you have to start cooking breakfast before Em wakes up at 7:30.

You know my schedule?

Yep, I'm hoping I can help you with it one day.

You're amazing.

Thank you sweetheart. I'll see you soon okay?

Of course. Sweet dreams.

"Well that was easier than I thought it was going to be?" God he's amazing. How'd I get so lucky? He wants to be my husband? The words he spoke so passionately about the other night were finally soaking in. He wants to be Emily's step father? Oh my God. The butterflies in her stomach erupted, goosebumps made their way onto her skin. There was no way he could love her. She's Riley, single mother and divorcee. She tousled her long brown curls, and closed her eyes. The brunette pictured him holding her the other night, and their kiss they shared. Oh God that kiss was incredible, her body tingled just thinking about it. His eyes always gazing into hers, those muscles and abs, man that smile. "Shit." She whispered, "Maybe I love him."

"Mommy." That one word completely took her aback and out of her thoughts.

"What's the matter sweetheart?"

"I'm hungry." She revealed a gorgeous smile and kissed her daughters head.

"Alright baby, take a seat. Did you have sweet dreams?"

GMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMW

Riley didn't make the same mistake she did last week, the brunette picked her daughter up from school and brought her home. Charlie texted her and said he was coming to pick her up in a few minutes. While Emily ate a small snack she went to pack a bag, adding in several of her horse stuffed animals and toothbrush, any little thing because Lord knows her father doesn't have anything for her. She was just happy she'd get to see her father, she was a little uneasy how her daughter would react. When the doorbell rang it was obvious Riley was jumpy. "Hi Charlie." Her ex-husband had dark hair and blue eyes, almost as bright as their daughters. Really Emily looked most like his mother, but it was a running joke that she cheated on Charlie.

"Hey gorgeous." Her brown eyes rolled as he bit his lip, "long time no see."

"Emily." Riley shouted, "Come here baby."

"Daddy?" Emily stood behind Riley's toned leg and watched as her father kneeled down.

"Hi sweetheart. You want to come with me for the weekend?" Her blue eyes glanced up at her mom.

"Go on Em, you'll have fun." She whispered. "I have your bag packed." The little blonde girl jumped out the door to hug her father. Within minutes Emily was strapped down in her father's truck. "Hey Charlie I need to talk to you about something." She moved for his wrist and took a few steps away from the truck.

"If you are looking for a reason to touch me, just say so."

Riley rolled her eyes yet again and released his wrist. "I'm not kidding Charlie, I just wanted to let you know that I'm seeing someone and it's getting serious. So he'll be meeting Emily pretty quick." Charlie's jaw clenched, "I felt like as her father you had a right to know."

"So much for me asking you on a date."

"I'm sure you were planning on that." She spat with sarcasm, "anyways I hope you have a lot of fun this weekend and I'll see you on Sunday?"

"Yep." The brunette watched them pull out of the driveway and with a smirk she waved.

GMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMW

You're ridiculous Maya.

No I'm not. He's just getting jealous because someone's going to swoop in, treat you better than he did and be more of a father than he is.
HI BABY!

Riley giggled hearing Lucas in the background.

Has he heard our entire conversation?

Yeah he knows.
YOU'RE MINE RILEY!

Seriously you have to quit putting me on speaker.
She giggled.
What are y'all doing anyways?
She stood up off the couch hearing her doorbell ring.

Oh just hanging out.

"PEACHES! ZAY! LUCAS!" The brunette jumped into Maya's arms. "What are y'all doing here?"

"Grilling out beautiful." Lucas pulled her off of her best friend, "I don't think I've ever gotten that kind of reaction." He joked, their friends sauntered inside, leaving them both on the porch.

"Because you get this kind of reaction." Her arms snaked around his neck as their soft kiss slowly turned into a passionate one. Deepening with every movement, Riley felt her back press against the entryway wall, his hands moved to cup her face. The brunette tingled everywhere and she couldn't stop herself, their lips moved in sync with one another.

He pulled away and leaned against her forehead. "I can't wait for tomorrow."

She bit her lip and kissed him one more time, "me neither."

"Okay gross." Maya joked, Lucas turned to his left and started laughing, but the look on Zay's face was a little, different? "Come on boys, go grill some food I'm starved! Riley and I will make dessert!"

The brunette rolled her eyes, "meaning I will make dessert and she'll take credit for it." Maya looped her arm through her best friends.

"How'd you know peaches?"

"Because, sweetheart you've done that ever since I graduated culinary school." The girls sauntered into the kitchen and Zay quietly pulled out the chicken and steak they had prepared and seasoned. His emerald eyes kept glancing to his right, noticing that his friend wasn't acting normally. In silence they sauntered outside and turned the gas on the grill and flipped on the stereo.

"I'm going to get a pan and tongs from inside, you need anything Zay?"

"No thanks man, I got a beer." He took a swig and the vet nodded while stepping inside. He saw Riley standing in the kitchen with her hair up in a messy bun, like she always did while cooking. She finished mixing some batter and just like he expected she dusted off her hands and rubbed the back of her shorts. How did he know her so well? It had only been 3 weeks, he knew every move she'd make before she made it. Just like when he asks her for the tongs and pan she'll not even notice him and say 'huh'. "Hey beautiful, can I get a pan and some tongs please?"

"Huh?" His lips curved upwards.

"Tongs and a pan please."

"Oh sure. Peaches, feet up!" The blonde giggled as her legs tucked into her chest. "Thank you, and here you go handsome." She planted a kiss on his lips and watched him leave. "Alright Maya, homemade brownies congratulations, you get what you want." The brunette giggled and greased the pan with butter before slowly pouring the batter evenly.

"Thanks honey, you're a doll!" The blue eyed woman bit her lip, "can I tell you something?"

Riley scoffed like it was a ridiculous notion, because well it was. "Of course."

After double checking that no one else was around the blonde grinned, "I think Zay is going to propose to me soon!"

"What!? OH MY GOD!" Riley jumped towards her best friend and gave her a hug, "honey I'm so happy for you! Why do you think that?"

"He's just been acting differently lately, like he's keeping a secret from me and I think this may be it. We've been going out since junior year of college I mean damn, if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it."

The brunette giggled, "Preach! Alright in you go." She carefully slid the brownies into the oven. "Wow, I'm done. That was fast."

"Guess memorizing those recipes helps."

Riley shook her head quickly, "so tell me what are you gonna say when he asks you?"

"What do you think? Of course yes, ya' idiot!"

The chef placed her hand on her heart, "honey you know how much I love those pet names. Glass of wine to celebrate?"

"Nothing's happened yet!" Maya replies.

"So, it's alcohol and I don't get to drink when Em is around." The brightness in her eyes dulled, "I miss my kid."

"She's been gone for 30 minutes. Usually your dates with Lucas last longer than that."

The brunette poured 2 glasses and grinned, "Yes they do but on my dates I know I'll see her in a few hours. Right now I won't see her until Sunday. Here you go." The girls sipped on their wine as they sauntered outside.

I turned on the evening news on.
Old man being interviewed.
Turning 102 today.
Asked him what's the secret to life?
He looked up from his old pipe, laughed and said all I can say is,
"Don't blink, just like that you're 6 years old and you take a nap.
Then you wake up and you're 25 and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife."

"Hey sweetheart." Lucas set her wine glass down, "may I?" He held out his hands offering a dance.

"You may." She giggled and he spun her around before pulling her into his chest. "Thank you for coming over, I was waiting for your surprise visit." Riley grinned when she saw her 2 friends dancing together, "I'm sorry again about the other night."

"It's okay baby, we'll talk about it tomorrow when we're alone." He raised his eyebrows making her laugh, "I'm actually pretty pumped for you to see my ranch. You'll love it, my pappy Joe and grandma lived there until they passed away a few years ago. So many spots I want to show you."

"Lucas I'm sorry. I had no idea they passed."

"One day apart." He grinned, "I know that shouldn't be a smiley moment but I think it's sweet. At the time it blew but it's like my Pappy couldn't live without her."

Her bottom lip pouted, Lucas led her in a circle and grinned at Zay who shifted his eyes immediately to Maya. "You can't help but be romantic, can you?"

"Momma always says romance is a way to a woman's heart."

"I used to hate feelings." The song was about to end and she hurriedly placed her head back onto his chest. "Thanks for ruining that along with my image." His lips touched her temple.

"Anytime sweetheart."

"SHIT!" The brunette pulled away hearing her friend.

"Maya you can't dance with a drink in your hand." The brunette joked and took her hand, "come on you can borrow some clothes."

"I can't wear anything you have." The blue eyed girl mumbled.

"Shut your face." Riley gave a smirk to her boyfriend and yanked her best friend inside as soon as the door shut Lucas approached Zay.

"What's your deal?" The vet took a sip of beer and tried to read his face.

"Nothing."

"No, you've been acting weird since I got here. I've known you for an incredibly long time so don't lie." The emerald eyed man stated.

Zay clenched his jaw and shook his head. "No big deal man. I don't even know why I'm mad."

Lucas narrowed his eyes and glanced at his best friend. "Zay do you still like Riley?"

GMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMWGMW

Thanks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 332 22
Maya held back her feelings for years. She watched Riley date Lucas, then Charlie, then a series of other boyfriends. She kept quiet because she knew...
111K 2.9K 43
Riley Matthews is the daughter of Cory Matthews, owner of Matthews international. One of the biggest technology companies in the world. She lives in...
5.3K 209 33
Riley Matthews' family has moved to Texas. She meets a guy named Lucas Friar and they instantly hit it off. During her moving process she also meets...
20.4K 760 16
This is a story about Maya,Farkle,Lucas and Riley,after 10 years. They all finished College and work now. They are still friends,but will a new relat...