Peace by Friendship.

Chapter 6

Riley was running on the treadmill with a blank expression across her face. What'd you do Riles? It had been a few days since she had that anxiety attack and she still couldn't believe what she did. They listened to that song at day care all the time, it was a beautiful song, and she didn't realize it would be a trigger. That song made her green with envy, you just want that for your daughter. You want that for Emily. "Lucas."

"I want to be with you, I want to meet Emily. I want to eventually be a husband to you and a stepfather to her."

A small smile approached her lips, she had an anxiety attack and he was still there. She had a child and he was still there. "Could he stay?" No everyone leaves. "Am I seriously arguing with myself right now?" Her hand slammed on the red STOP button and slowly cooled down. It was 6:40, he probably wouldn't be up, but she didn't care. The brunette could seriously have screwed up if he wasn't so persistent, thank God he was. Why did it take her so long to realize that?

Good morning beautiful.

Hi. Did I wake you?

Yes, but I don't mind. Waking up to your voice is pretty fantastic.

About the other day-

Don't worry about it sweetheart.

What?

Don't worry about that. I will always be here for you, I will always be there to ease your anxiety. I will hold you for as long as you allow, and you can claw the back of my neck as much as you need. I will always be here even when you try to break up with me.

Her eyes welled up with tears, she cleared her throat quickly and composed herself.

That's um, that's probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me.

I'm not going anywhere Riley. You have no idea how much I care about you.

I guess I don't.

I'm going to prove it to you. Saturday at noon, I've arranged for a baby sitter in case Charlie bails again. Pack for an overnighter, you're coming to my ranch.

Really?

Really, really. But since today is Thursday I'd expect a surprise visit sometime today or tomorrow.

Can I at least say I'm sorry?

Yes, but there's nothing to apologize for. You were upset.

I feel like I owe you an explanation.

Maybe, but when you're ready. Who knows, maybe Saturday, but for now it is 7 so you have to start cooking breakfast before Em wakes up at 7:30.

You know my schedule?

Yep, I'm hoping I can help you with it one day.

You're amazing.

Thank you sweetheart. I'll see you soon okay?

Of course. Sweet dreams.

"Well that was easier than I thought it was going to be?" God he's amazing. How'd I get so lucky? He wants to be my husband? The words he spoke so passionately about the other night were finally soaking in. He wants to be Emily's step father? Oh my God. The butterflies in her stomach erupted, goosebumps made their way onto her skin. There was no way he could love her. She's Riley, single mother and divorcee. She tousled her long brown curls, and closed her eyes. The brunette pictured him holding her the other night, and their kiss they shared. Oh God that kiss was incredible, her body tingled just thinking about it. His eyes always gazing into hers, those muscles and abs, man that smile. "Shit." She whispered, "Maybe I love him."