Hold On Forever

By thezookeeper2013

Mara Martin was 12 years old. She had 5 older brothers and lived in a small town. She had a best friend named... More

The Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 4

10K 240 3
By thezookeeper2013

The next day Shawn went to his friends office. An Oncologist 

"Hey" asked his friend John (Dr. Carter). "We still on for drinks tonight?" 

"Ya, ya" replied Shawn.

"What's wrong?"

"Its Mara" 

"Ya I heard about the broken ribs"

"Ya. But she has other bruises too. One giant one on her arm. That wasn't there after the soccer incident. And the other night I was there and saw bloody tissues in the trash can like from a nose bleed. Not to mention my mom said she was been extra tired lately. Then there is Ben..."

"Woah, slow down" said John "Lets not get ahead of ourselves. What are her symptoms or supposed symptoms?" said John getting up from his desk

"Bruising, tiredness and bloody noses" 

"The bruising though expected from soccer. The bloody noses are unsure"

"Yes. But Ben was on the internet and was looking up stuff"

"The internet? Since when do we as doctors listen to the internet for medical advice?"

"Never" 

"Exactly"

"Before we get all worked up. Lets do some blood work?"

"Okay, yes let me just talk to my parents" 

"Alright you do that. Than call me. But for now don't freak out"

Shawn nodded. John gave him a hug and then Shawn left. Shawn though didn't know how he was going to talk to his parents about this. He decided it would be best to talk to his father first. And that's exactly what he did after work. Shawn walked into his house.

"Mara Grace!" yelled Jessica walking into the living room just as Shawn walked in. 

Mara knew what her mother was about to yell at her for. She sunk down into the couch. Shawn decided to walk past them trying to avoid them seeing him and go find dad. He walked into the kitchen. Ethan and Jack were there.

"What did she do?" asked Shawn.

"I guess she fell asleep in class and this isn't first time"

Shawn didn't respond, but asked "Where is dad?"

"Outback in the shed" 

Shawn left the kitchen to the backyard. Meanwhile in the living.

"I understand that you might still be not feeling well, but you can't fall asleep in class and apparently this isn't the first time. Your teacher understands that you are still healing but considering it wasn't the first time..."

"Mom I know, I'm sorry. I'm just adjusting back to school" 

"Okay, he is willing to let it go again, but don't let it happen again. Now I'm going to get you some ice for your ribs. Turn that TV off and pull out some homework"

"Danny is coming over to help me with Math"

"That's fine. But I expect work to be done" said Jessica leaving to get ice.

"I thought she was going to get in more trouble then that. That's lame" said Jack

"Don't you two have homework to do?" asked Jessica to Ethan and Jack.

"Done" said Ethan.

"Well I suggest you find something better to do than to sit here and listen to me scold your sister" 

And with that Ethan and Jack left. 

Meanwhile outside.

"Hey son" 

"Hey dad"

"What's up?"

"I need to talk to you about something"

"What is it?"

"Its Mara"

"What about her?"

"I know she has been really tired lately, not just because of the broken ribs and the bruises. Everything that has been happening has concerned me. I mean I don't see how someone could hit someone else so hard that their ribs break and you get such big bruises like that"

"What are you saying?"

"It's not only that. The other night when I came to check on Mara I saw bloody tissues in her trash can."

"Like from a nose bleed?"

"Yes. Its just not adding up dad"

"Shawn just tell me please"

"I want Mara to get blood work done. I talked to my friend today. He is an Oncologist"

"As in cancer doctor?"

"Yes, but I don't want anyone to worry. I just want to make sure."

"If you say we should do it we will. You know your brother Ben has been pestering me about something being wrong too"

"I know he has been. I was just shoving it off and thinking he was overreacting, but the more I thought about it the more concerned I got"

"Yes I keep saying Mara looks skinnier too. Like she lost weight. But your mother doesn't seem to notice it"

"I haven't noticed that but I wasn't looking for that"

"Well let's just get the blood work done and see what happens after that. No reason to scare the rest of the family. Including Mara right now"

"Okay good. I'll call my friend"  Shawn went to leave.

"Not a word to the rest of the family right now. Not even Ben"

"Yes Sir" he said leaving out the shed. 

Shawn walked through the kitchen his mother was there.

"Shawn I didn't even see you come in"

"Ya I just needed to talk to dad"

"Is everything okay?"

"Yep everything is fine"

"Okay" his mother said skeptically, "Need dinner?"

"No I'm fine I'm just going to check on Mara and head home"

"Alright" 

Shawn left to the living where Mara was with Danny.

"Hi Shawn" said Danny happily.

"Hey Bud"

"Come to check on me again Doctor?"

"Every day Mara" he said with a Smile.

Mara rolled up her shirt for Shawn to see. He sat on the couch next to her to look at it. "Lay down" he said. 

Mara laid down on the couch so Shawn could get a better look. He touched and she winced in pain.

"Hey"

"Sorry"

"Does it look any better?"

"It should be healing more at this point"

"Is that bad?"

Shawn realized he probably had a concerned tone of voice and immediately changed it.

"Nah" he said "Some people are slower healers than others"

"Oh great and I'm one of them"

"I guess so" he said rolling back down her shirt and letting her sit up.  He kissed her forehead "See you tomorrow."

Shawn left out the door. Danny ran after him.

"Shawn wait" he said following him down the sidewalk.

"What's up?" 

"Is Mara okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"She is different. She is so tired lately and the all the other bruises..."

"What other bruises?"

"There's one on her foot. She banged it of the desk accidently. Don't tell her I told you though she'll be mad"

"I won't. What else?"

"She seems skinnier. But I would never say that she'd kill me"

Shawn chuckled.

"She's fine Danny, don't worry" he said patting him on the back. "Now get back in there before she gets suspicious"

Danny smiled and ran back inside the house. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 23.8K 73
8 year old Alessia never had the best life. From being taken away from her family at a very young age to being diagnosed with cancer while dealing w...
1.6K 96 32
A girl. A football team. Some ice cream. The occasional hospital. Some emotions. Loud people. Crazy family. Raw, unconditional love.
168 76 22
A girl named Catherine Brooks lost her beloved brother who had a brain cancer. He was the only brother that Catherine had. Her brother has a good fri...
21.8K 310 42
Charlotte was only ten years old when her life changed beneath her. Her body had seemed to just fall apart and before she knew it, she was diagnosed...