catgirl ! broken (nightwing)

By lucyluhvs

book 1 out of 3 in my main catgirl series ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── summary: Ca... More

«intro»
«playlist»
«prologue»
«chapter one: a dangerous game»
«chapter two: an old enemy»
«chapter three: unexpected run-ins»
«chapter four: brotherly bonding»
«chapter five: new sparring partners»
«chapter six: missing information»
«chapter seven: aye-aye captain»
«chapter eight: making it work»
«chapter nine: two cats in one place»
«chapter ten: the calm before the storm»
«chapter eleven: rogue»
«chapter twelve: returning nightmares»
«chapter thirteen: representing»
«chapter fifteen: an old friend»
«chapter sixteen: dancing with a stranger»
«chapter seventeen: surprising connection»
«chapter eighteen: coming clean»
«chapter nineteen: there was some doubt»
«chapter twenty: a new ally»
«chapter twenty-one: alfred saves the day»
«chapter twenty-two: husband and wife»
«chapter twenty-three: walking a thin line»
«chapter twenty-four: joining the circus»
«chapter twenty-five: a necessary risk»
«chapter twenty-six: the truth comes out»
«chapter twenty-seven: a cold bus ride»
«chapter twenty-eight: rogue returns»
«chapter twenty-nine: Broken»
«chapter thirty: nightmares and late-night talks»
«chapter thirty-one: where it all started»
«chapter thirty-two: an unexpected visitor»
«chapter thirty-three: facing the demon»
«chapter thirty-four: rescuing the team»
«chapter thirty-five: pushing people's buttons»
«chapter thirty-six: finding out the truth»
«chapter thirty-seven: a complicated situation»
«chapter thirty-eight: holding a grudge»
«chapter thirty-nine: wally's plan»
«chapter forty: a dance battle»
«epilogue»
SEQUEL IS OUT
QUESTION AND ANSWER
Please read even if you havent read all
I did enter the Wattys
*Important*
SURPRISE

«chapter fourteen: therapy»

9.8K 348 107
By lucyluhvs

___________________

_________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  My hands grip the tough and worn fabric of my jeans. In some deep psychological way, I could be described the same way; tough because I have been continually faced with obstacles that have worn me down over time.

  Then again, I am only good at reading people, not myself.

  But I know for a fact that being at the site of the crime can not be could for my mental health. At least that's what I am telling myself as I sit very tense and uncomfortably in the exact same room where, just a few days ago, an old wound was ripped open; emotionally and physically. Now I feel like a mental one is starting to also open as I glance up at Black Canary who is writing something down in a notebook. What, I have no idea, because I have said a word sense we started the session over an hour ago.

  And if things couldn't be any worse than being trapped in the same stupid room where Rogue threatened the team a few days ago, I am also being forced to wear civilian clothes, which makes me feel practically naked among the others who are all suited up and ready to go.

  Flicking one of my French braids over my hair, my eyes study Black Canary behind my shaded glasses.

  And what landed me here? Nightwing and Aqualad thinking I am actually unstable.

I'll show them unstable.

  Deep breaths. I close my eyes for a few moments.

  If being insane is wanting to protect people who don't trust me then sure, call me insane.

  When I open them again, I meet Black Canary's gaze again, her sitting across from me with her hands resting comfortably on her knees.

  Glad someone is having a good time, I think bitterly.

  "So, Catgirl, why did you attack Rogue?" She asks for the tenth time in the last hour.

  I don't think they planned on me being this stubborn, because every single time she asks, I just stare blankly. In fact, I'm actually surprised she hasn't lost her temper and started yelling yet.

  She lets a few more moments go before, "Wow, I think you're more stubborn than Superboy." She laughs dryly. She waits to see if I plan on replying, spoiler alert: I don't, before continuing, "Since you clearly aren't going to tell me today, how about we start with the basics." She sticks out her hand for me to shake," Hi, I am Dinah Lance."

  What the heck? My eyes widen in shock. Did she just tell me her name? Her secret identity?

  She must have seen my face because she laughs, for real this time, and says," Why are you so shocked?"

  I speak for the first time since I got here, "You trust me?"

  "Yes, why would you ask that?" She says seemingly confused, but I know she is working an angle. I just don't know what.

  "No one trusts me, that's why I am here," I state, trying to recover from my initial shock.

  She looks at me, her eyes calculating as she says, "I trust you."

  "You're the first," I comment before looking down at my hands.

  Mine, in fists, ready to fight while hers are relaxed and open, still waiting for me to shake hers.

  "Nothing leaves this room." She reminds me as the minutes go by.

  I sigh and take her hand, slowly shaking it," Brooklyn."

  She waits a few moments for my middle and last name, but I don't say them and when she realizes I don't plan on sharing them just yet, she forces a smile.

  "Nice to finally meet you, Brooklyn... I think that's enough for today. I have to get to the Watchtower, I have watched." She tells me and I know it's because she is trying to establish some sort of foundation for us to build trust on.

  My lips form a tight smile as I stand with her and together we walk out of the room.

  Nightwing and Aqualad, being the team leaders, wait for a report from Canary, and for a moment, my muscles go tense, before her words echo in my mind; nothing leaves this room.

  Is that true? I glance at her from the side of my eye, her expression completely relaxed as we meet the two leaders.

  "How was it?" Aqualad questions, looking between the two of us, though I know he only expects her to respond with the actual answer and me with a sarcastic one.

"Ok," Canary replies carefully.

  "Did you make progress?" Nightwing asks, his eyebrow-raising at us.

  "Yes, I now know her name." Canary looks at me, and I can't help but feel a shred of thankfulness that she is staying true to her word and that anything I tell her will be confidential. "Well, her first name. We will work on the middle and last tomorrow, yes?"

  I once again give her a tight smile and nod, making sure to make a mental note to thank her tomorrow, even if I don't want to tell her anymore.

  Nightwing doesn't look too happy with the 'progress', but he nods to her.

  She puts a hand on my shoulder in a parting sort of way and despite flinching away from just about everyone, I allow her to attempt to be friendly and I don't flinch away.

  She seems to realize this, and her smile gets bigger before she walks to the zeta-tube and goes through.

'Recognize: Black Canary-A13'

  I look back to Nightwing," Have you found anything on the files we stole?"

  With everything going on, I haven't had the time to ask him, or anyone else for that matter, what happened to the files we stole from my first mission on the team.

He hesitates," No. Not yet."

  I nod slowly, getting a small sense that he doesn't have the info and that if he did then I wouldn't be the first person he would call.

  "Could you call me if you guys have a mission? I will be in the kitchen room." I tell him, not wanting to waste my energy on trying to figure him out.

  He nods, his face relaxing from behind his mask, and I suddenly remember the fact that I'm not wearing mine.

  Of course, I have the shades, but they show more of my face than the mask and I don't want to risk him mowing who I am, even if we most likely have never met.

  I bite my lip and turn away, walking to the kitchen and living room.

  M'gann is cooking something, her eyes peeking at Superboy who is watching static on the tv. I raise an eyebrow as M'gann lets put a soft giggle, making Superboy smile.

  "Somethings never change," M'gann mutters and I piece the puzzle together; he is doing it because he used to, why I'm not sure, but my bet is he wants to make her laugh.

  Something stirs in my chest as I watch the two and before I can identify why the feeling is gone.

  I walk to the fridge and feel the top, my fingers brushing along the dusty metal before landing on the hardcover of a book.

  While I wish refrigerators magically produced books, that's not the case. Early this morning I put it there in case I wanted to stick around after my not so voluntary therapy session.

  If they really wanted to dig deep into my past and help me, it's going to take more than a few months of therapy sessions and a lot of patience that I am not so sure anyone in the world has. Canary- Dinah, she might come close though.

  Despite my loathing being in a hostile environment, I have been planning on spending a lot of time here. The more I stay at the Cave, the more time I get to keep an eye on Rogue and not have it be flat-out stalking.

  My fingers graze the indenting on the front cover as I read the name of the book; Pride and Prejudice.

  One of my favorite classics that I feel I should reread again. Then again, I am pretty sure it is everyone's classic favorite. That and To Kill a Mockingbird.

  In fact, I bet Beastboy has to read these in his classes this year.

  Shaking the thought away and pretending I don't care what happens to the young boy, I open the book and start being sucked into a world not my own, and one without psychotic antagonists.

  A few hours pass and I am finishing up the last page when I hear someone clear their throat. Rude, I'm reading here.

  I bite back a remark as I look up, meeting Superboy, Robin, Cassie, and M'gann watching me.

Creepy.

  "What are you doing?" Superboy asks, he was the one who cleared their throat.

  The question seems innocent enough so I answer back with my own question attached, "Just reading, why?"

  I look at the last few paragraphs I have left and decide they can wait, my interests being occupied by the couples in front of me.

  They all hesitate at the question before Robin speaks up," Well, you don't seem like the type to read."

  I am surprised he isn't under strict orders not to even look at me let alone speak to me, so the fact he said it makes me all the more curious.

  "Well, you guys say you keep tabs on people and care about who joins the team but you guys don't know me very well," I state crossing my arms, getting a dig in about how they didn't do a very good background check on Rogue.

  "Yes, we do!" Cassie defends, her cheeks heating up. "We know stuff or you wouldn't have been let on the team."

  My eyes narrow at her statement and Robin's already pale skin pales even more; he knows she just messed up as I open my mouth. "What's my favorite color? Food? Fruit? Book? Movie?"

They all look down embarrassed.

  "That's what I thought," I mutter rolling my eyes behind my shades. Reading with them was a pain, my head lightly throbbing due to the strain my poor eyes have been under.

  "Didn't you start that today?" Superboy asks, looking at the closed book as I stand up and stretch.

  "Yes." I answer, shocking all of them by the looks on their faces, chasing me to roll my eyes yet again." I am going out." I tell them before my eyes roll out of my head from all of the stupid remarks they are making.

  I sigh, letting out a breath, knowing I'm not really mad at them, I'm mad at my situation. But them being shocked that I like reading isn't exactly helping.

  "Sorry, off day," I mutter, causing their confusion to deepen. Before they can question me or look at me as if I am an animal in the zoo, I walk back to the main room, going straight to the zeta-tubes as I realize Rogue isn't here anymore.

  Maybe she didn't even come in today. Or maybe. She is on a mission.

  The last thought causes my stomach to flip even more than usual as I disappear through the beams.

________________________________

A/N:
____
what is your favorite episode of young justice so far? 😯
_____________
thanks for reading, don't forget to vote & comment !!

xoxo, author

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

293K 7K 46
I AM WORKING ON EDITING IT!!! SO DO NOT MURDER ME FOR MISTAKES!!! ____________________________________________________________________ Serena has bee...
7.6K 189 4
What if Superboy wasn't the only clone Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad found when they snuck into Cadmus? What is the Big Blue Boy Scout wasn't the onl...
203K 6.5K 51
!!UPDATED AS OF JUNE 2022!! book 2 out of 3 in my main catgirl series ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── summary: After a rough star...
148K 3.8K 25
Just going to inform you that I am rereading this to get rid of as many grammatical errors as possible and that I'm also going through and fixing up...