Subject #013 | ✓

By kmorgannn18

"I'm only going to ask you one more time." I say firmly. "Who are you and what do you want with me?" He fro... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 28

231 17 10
By kmorgannn18

Hey! Just a heads up that this is a FLASHBACK CHAPTER, meaning that it will be from a previous point in time in this book.

Long story short: It's from Alix's POV.

Just wanted to let y'all know so you're not confused lol.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Man, do I love parties. I've been to few, but I've been to enough to know that they're unique in their own special ways. For instance, where else are you going to be able to pretend like you're someone else? When in your life are you going to get the chance to dance with strangers? There are so many different characteristics of a party, and I've always loved every single one of them.

And here I am, in the middle of a crowd of civilians... at a party. To be quite honest, I'm not used to being a Lucas. I've been so many people because of my "occupation" as a thief. I've been a Ferdinand, a Gerard, an Otis... heck, I've even been an Adolf. My thievery has brought me to all sorts of different places, all under different circumstances. All of my other code names have rolled right off the tongue, yet something about my most recent name....

Lucas.

I don't know what it is about it, but I don't feel like a different person. I feel like the same Alix Black I always was, but with borrowed clothes and dyed hair. Sometimes that's the fun of it; being in new skin and acting the part. But this time, it just seems bland and repetitive. Like some songs on the radio these days.

Also, ever since the makeover at Big Hairy Harrison's place, Jess hasn't been looking at me the same way. I've always been good at reading faces... and I only got better as my career as a thief increased, and Jess is usually an open book. It's obvious when she's upset, because there will be lines under her eyes and her shoulders will slump. It's evident when she's excited, because she'll practically be vibrating in place, and she won't be able to stop smiling. I've only known her for about five days, and so far I've been reading her pretty well, but lately... well, she's been a blank slate. I'll be looking around, or squinting at something, and a look will come over her face. It disappears as soon as it arrives, but the flicker of something passes over her when I'm acting especially nerdy. I haven't figured it out yet, but the answer is on the tip of my tongue.

I've had so much experience reading others, but I can't read one simple girl. Just goes to show how confusing the female race is.

Someone bumps into me from behind, resulting in a domino effect. The person in front of me swears colorfully, causing some dirty glances to be thrown their way. This is a party, dude. Relax a little.

It takes me ages to maneuver around everyone, and when I finally do, I find that I'm not where I expect to be. Several bar stools sit in front of me, all of them occupied except for one. How coincidental. It's like it's calling my name.

As if reading my mind, a young man, who looks to be about my age, walks up to the counter and meets my eyes from the several feet between me and the stool. I remember what Jess said to me before dispersing. We're not here to go crazy, Lucas, we're here for answers. It doesn't matter though. I've never really been one to drink.

The bartender gestures for me to come up to the bar, and I discover, to my surprise, that I obey. It's like he's magic, and he's using a persuasion spell to lure me over there. Nothing good comes out of persuasion, I've realized.

Nothing.

But sooner than I think, I'm sliding onto the cushioned stool and leaning against the counter.

"Ah, new blood. This your first time in Durango?" The bartender asks me, leaning an elbow against the counter.

"Yes, how did you know?" I respond.

"I know everyone in this town. Everyone shows up here sooner or later."

That strikes me as strangely odd, but I say nothing.

"Where do you come from?" The guy asks.

"Denver." I don't miss a beat. I've had my fair share of learning how to lie to others. I've become quite good at it, though I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing in the long run.

"I see. Do you want a drink?"

For a moment, I ponder it. But Jess's words from earlier ring clearly through my head. We're not here to go crazy...

"No, thanks." I respond, smiling weakly at him.

"No hard feelings, bro." He says. "My name's Xavier. You are...?"

"Lucas." I nod once at him. "It's nice to meet you."

It's funny how as a thief, I've become extremely good at small things, like becoming light on my feet, or, in this case, lying. Yet I still have problems with remembering. Before my life turned upside down—when I still went to school like a normal kid—I would forget what I had for breakfast. It's something that I've never given much thought to... until I have to remember something, of course.

Oh, yeah. I'm supposed to ask if anyone's seen a black car drive straight out of the forest.

"Um, are you talking to me?" Xavier asks. I snap out of my daze, recognizing that I've been staring right at him with a strange look on my face for the last thirty seconds. And of course, I had to have accidentally spoken out loud.

"Sorry." I apologize, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hands. "I guess I'm more tired than I thought. But I do have a few questions for you. Is it alright if I ask them?"

"Shoot." Xavier agrees and shrugs.

"You haven't by chance heard of a black car that randomly drove out of the forest a few days ago, have you?"

Xavier thinks for a moment before shaking his head. "Nope. It's not ringing a bell."

Figures. Right when I need information, I can't have it.

"You don't know anything?" I press.

"Nope. Sorry, dude."

I just shrug. A stretch of silence falls between us and I absentmindedly trace the lines in the counter with my finger. When I eventually glance up again, I'm surprised to see that Xavier hasn't moved, but his expression has changed. His eyes are wide with question, and his face is dangerously pale.

"Are you okay?" I inquire. "You look like you've just seen a ghost."

Xavier slowly pulls himself out of whatever trance he's in, before meeting my eyes. "My apologies. This probably makes me sound like a stalker, but is there a chance you know that girl with the blue hair over there? She's dancing with the blond guy. Austin, I think his name is."

Girl with the blue hair.

Jess.

"Yeah, actually, I do." I say slowly, drawing out my words with careful dignity. "Why?"

Xavier's brows furrow, and for a moment, a flicker of anger passes across his face, though it's gone almost as soon as it appears.

"She's bad news. If she's close to you, I recommend getting the hell away."

"Um...why?" My heart is thumping rhythmically in my chest to the beat of the loud music playing. I can hear the blood pounding in my ears. What could she have done to make this random bartender afraid of her? What could she have done to make him angry?

"That girl is trouble." Xavier says finally. "And when she goes for the kill, don't say I didn't warn you."

My head starts to throb with the beginning signs of a headache. What does he mean she's trouble? She's one of the most harmless people I've ever met in my life!

I'm supposed to be having fun, I realize, not stressing myself out over something that is probably not even remotely true.

But I can't get it out of my head. She has been avoiding me lately. Is there something she's hiding from me? Is she lying to me? It's kind of amusing how I find it easy to lie to other people, but when other people lie to me, it suddenly become horrendous.

The spot between my eyes starts to hurt, and I rub my forehead anxiously. What am I going to do about this? Or better yet, what can I do?

Nothing. Nothing yet.

Yet.

I'm so overwhelmed at the moment. All I want to do is find a bed and hide under the covers. But would that provide as much cover as I need at the moment?

Reaching across the counter, I tap Xavier's arm. He turns. My voice is rough like I just woke up, but I pay it no mind as I say something I know I'm probably going to regret later.

"I'll take you up on that offer. Gimme a drink."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sooo... what do y'all think about my first Alix POV chapter? Yay? Nay? Do you have more questions than answers?

Comment thoughts and feels below! Vote if you loved it ;)

~trebleclef18

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 3.4K 22
As I leave, the cold British wind greets me. I zip up my sweater, and start walking home. Thanks to my parents, I don't have a car. "You're too irr...
4.7K 259 36
"Who's there," I can't breath. I'm always looking over my shoulder ever since- I can't think about the now. I have to run but where, back to Jake? No...
173K 2.9K 100
!Book one out of four! There is a part two to this book you don't have to read it but if you would like to it's called "My princess to the Black Wido...
97.5K 2.3K 34
SEQUEL TO "HIS OBSESSION" It's been two years since Jax let the love of his life slip out of his hands. Jax is a changed person but not for the bette...