Stitch By Stitch || Haikyuu!!

By himitsumints

"And maybe this is proof that even if you think you'll be stuck in the dark forever, there will always be som... More

Stitch by Stitch
1
2
3
4
4.5
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
"25"
end note.
just a little update ;^^

13

5.3K 260 668
By himitsumints

Third Person

Cosette quickly tied back her bangs and made for the door, about to go to the cafeteria for breakfast, when her phone buzzed.

Surprised to recieve a text so early in the morning, she quickly checked who had sent it.

Ah, it's Kenma...

She slid the lock screen.

From: Kenma
Subject: Good-morning

Good-morning, Konimi-san. How are you?

Cosette felt a small smile stretch across her face. He had been sending her frequent how are you messages lately, and she couldn't help but smile whenever she got them.

"He cares about you too, you know? Even if he doesn't show it often."

At this point, Cosette knew for sure that what Yaku had said was true. Except this time, he seems to be showing it a little more.

It had been a long time since she had felt this much support from anyone, and she had to admit that she missed the feeling.

Reply to: Kenma

Good-morning, Kenma. I'm alright, thank you for asking. How about you?

It was her usual reply, their usual morning conversation, yet, she never got tired of it.

"I'm great, too," came a soft voice in front of her, and Cosette looked up from her phone in surprise.

"Oh, you're here," she said with a small smile.

"Yeah... I guessed you might be coming downstairs..."

"Thank you, Kenma, for being concerned."

"...n-no problem."

He observed her for a minute, picking up her distant manner, and he sighed to himself, aware that she wasn't being completely honest with him at the moment. But he didn't push anything. He could sense that whatever was bothering her was really not something she would want to mention.

Cosette looked up at him almost apologetically, knowing that he knew she wasn't all that fine.

And it was true, she wasn't, not really. She had been having nightmares again lately. She never awoke in the middle of the night, but when she did wake up, she was always in a sweating mess, and she could remember the dream perfectly.

She shivered the slightest, the scene from the dream forming in her head again.

She didn't understand why, despite being surrounded by all the warmth and support she couldn't stop thinking of her parents, the night they died, the night everything changed for her. She couldn't bring herself to get over them, no matter how hard she tried.

She hadn't even spoken to Yaku about her nightmares, she hadn't told anyone. Even if she desperately wanted to open up about it... she was still... scared.

"I don't like seeing you like this, you know," Kenma muttered, his voice barely audible. But it was enough to snap her out of her thoughts.

"E-eh...?"

"You seem... really distant... are you sure you're okay...?"

There was a pause, and Cosette avoided eye-contact.

"Konimi."

"...I'll be okay, Kenma."

The second-year bit his lip, not knowing what to do or say.

I want to help her, but I really can't...

"...Okay," he said finally, glancing sideways at her. "But... promise me something?"

"Huh?"

"If I'm not an option, tell Yaku-san, okay? Or anyone. I've heard that... bottling up everything... never helps."

Kenma looked away, hiding his blush, as he gently took her hand.

"I've heard that holding hands... kind of helps a little too.... that's the least I could do."

Cosette's expression softened, and she held his hand a little tighter.

Yeah... mother used to do this to me.

"I promise," she said quietly. "I'll tell someone."

A ghost of a smile formed on Kenma's face, and he began to pull away his hand.

"...please don't..."

"E-eh...?"

Cosette looked away, embarrassed. "Sorry. Just... um... can you hold my hand.. a little longer?"

It's comfortable...

"...yeah. Okay."

◈◈◈

"Kenma," Kuroo frowned, snatching the PSP out of his childhood friend's hands.

He could only do that at the time, because, for one thing, Kenma was not even playing. His game was on pause; he was looking somewhere else.

"You're not acting yourself lately."

Kenma turned his head towards Kuroo, his face devoid of any emotion. "What makes you say that?"

The third-year waved the PSP in front of his face.

"For one thing, you're not playing this, even if you're holding it. For another, you're distracted."

"I'm not distracted," Kenma snapped, taking his PSP back.

"Oh really? And what was I saying before I called your attention?"

He had been talking about the upcoming Spring Tournament, but he had noticed that Kenma wasn't listening for once.

And sure enough, the setter made no reply. He cast his eyes downward, lips sealed shut.

"Is something bothering you? Because if that's the case, then spill. You're not you when you're distracted."

"I'm fine, Kuro, nevermind."

"You're not."

"Are too."

"Not."

"Are."

"Kenma."

And Kenma looked up, sighing defeatedly. "Alright, fine, I have thoughts, I'm preoccupied."

"Which is unlike you."

"Kuro, you don't have to---"

"Yes, I do, because I'm concerned about you."

"....what do you want to know?"

"What it is that's getting you distracted. You haven't been playing your best at the latest matches either, Kenma, I can tell it's getting in the way of your performance. But unlike shrimp-chan's mistakes, yours are not helping you grow."

"Why bring Shoyo into this?"

"He's not playing his best either, but he's learning. You're just plain distracted."

"...you won't let me live this down."

Kuroo peered at his friend carefully, noting the barely visible tinge of red on his cheeks.

No way... could it really be...

"Is this about Konimi-chan?"

Kenma looked away silently.

"Do you... possibly...?"

All Kuroo needed to do was look into his eyes, and he immediately knew the answer.

"Oh."

"Yeah, it's... unusual," Kenma muttered. "But I... can't really help it. Not that it matters; I barely have a chance compare to Yaku-san---"

"Jealous, now, are we~?"

"...shut up."

Kuroo chuckled. "It's not like I don't know what you're feeling, but... don't stress over it too much. It's supposed to be a nice feeling, liking someone. Enjoy the ride, yeah?"

"How do you live?"

"What is that supposed to mean?!"

"...nevermind."

"Listen, Kenma... if you want to win her over, get close to her. I can't help you, since she so obviously hates my guts, but---"

"No, I not going to do that," Kenma interrupted, his voice quiet.

"What?"

"I would never do that."

"Well, if you want---"

"I'll just go with whatever makes her happy."

And Kuroo knew by the look in his eyes that he was completely serious.

"Even if that means she'll choose Yaku-san, I'll... support that."

Kuroo shook his head, sighing, but he was mildly amused. "You're in deep, Kenma, you're in deep."

Silence.

"Hey, that's impressive, considering you've only known her for, say, a few weeks?"

"Close to a month," Kenma mumbled.

"I'm guessing you'll refuse if I tell you to confess tonight."

"...of course I would."

"Knew it."

"Why would you choose tonight?"

"Haven't you heard? It's the meteor shower."

"Oh..."

No, I can't, Kenma shook his head. I won't.

"You're finally in love, huh, Kenma..." Kuroo sighed.

"...shut up, it's not love."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say."

Kenma discreetly rolled his eyes, though Kuroo noticed anyway, and he let out a laugh.

"Why don't we go and visit her recording? It's our break."

"I'm pretty sure she'll be talking to Yaku-san... or something..."

Kuroo playfully shoved his friend. "You're an idiot sometimes, you know?"

"...like you aren't."

"Hey!"

"Sorry." The corners of Kenma's lips turned up ever so slightly--- he wasn't sorry at all.

"Well, I'm not going, it'll ruin her mood. You go."

"Eh? I never said I was---"

"Kenma-san, Kuroo-san!"

The two boys looked up at the feminine voice; Naomi looked like she had been running a mile.

"We're recording the last scene, and we need as many people as we can get. Teachers, students, everyone possible! You guys are on break right now, right?"

"Yeah, we don't have anyth---"

"Tell the rest to meet at the theatre! And please make sure to bring Mori-kun!"

"Alright, Suzuki-chan~"

"Thank you so much!" the raven-haired second-year raced off to find production members who were not working behind the scenes at the moment, or any student or teacher willing to participate.

By the time she had gotten back to the theatre, it was already half-full.

Score! We have enough people.

The epilogue of Les Miserables was full of people; this was barely enough. They were already lucky that Shinzen's theatre was huge.

Known for their production and performing arts numbers, Shinzen High School took pride in their theatre; which took up a quarter of their entire campus. It was complete; a removeable stage set, and everything you could possibly need for a recording.

"I've never been here before, but wow," Kuroo let out a low whistle.

"This place is amazing!" Hinata cried, bouncing all over the place and trailing Bokuto.

"Idiot, you'll mess things up," Kageyama called out.

Akiyama-sensei and Kaito-sensei smiled at each other, then silenced the crowd with a shout over the megaphone.

"Thank you all for coming as extras! Please remain silent as we direct your positions. The main roles of Cosette, Eponine, Fantine, Marius, and Valjean please come over here!"

"Looks like we're recording again, Cosette," Yaku smiled when he reached her. "I haven't seen you since that last recording."

"It's... a little busy over here," Cosette couldn't resist a smile.

"Yeah," Yaku chuckled, "I can see that pretty clearly."

The positions were dictated, the instructions were provided, and soon enough, Yume pressed record.

(A/N: a little side note, they're recording the epilogue here. If you haven't read the book, watched the musical, or watched the movie, here's a short clip. If you don't want to know how it ends, though, you don't have to watch it.)

◈◈◈

"Why aren't you eating?" Yaku peered at her curiously. "You've been recording for the whole day. Shouldn't you be hungry?"

"Yeah! Be healthy, Konimi-san!" Nishinoya piped up as he passed, giving the blonde a thumbs-up.

"Good evening, Nishinoya-kun, Tanaka-kun, Yamamoto-kun!" Ayame waved at them, causing the three second-years to blush.

"...it's nothing," Cosette sighed.

"Do you not like fish or something?" Naomi tilted her head to the side.

The blonde winced as she caught Seira whisper something in Kuroo's ear. The two of them had gotten a lot closer during the week, and they were practically a dangerous combination with all of their schemes.

A smirk stretched across Kuroo's face. "Of course, you're right, Onishi-chan! Could it be, Konimi-chan can't pick the bones off fish?"

"E-eh? Who told you that?" Cosette glared at him.

"Really?!" Yaku's eyes widened, completely ignoring her comment. "Why didn't you just say so?"

"...I'm fi---"

"Why don't you help her with it, Yakkun?" Seira said sweetly.

"Wh--- I-I can do that for her---" Naomi began.

"Really, guys, it's alright---"

"Why aren't you eating, then?" Ayame raised her eyebrows, smiling playfully.

"You should eat, Konimi..." there was a ghost of a smile on Kenma's face.

"Y-you too, Kenma...?" Cosette sighed.

"Just admit it," Yaku shook his head as he moved closer to her, despite her protests. "I'll help you."

Cosette shot an apologetic look at Naomi, who gave a little shrug, as if to say,

It's not your fault... can't be helped.

But Cosette could feel the tiniest bit of envy in her expression.

"Feed her while you're at it, why don't you, Yaku~~?" Kuroo sang out, smiling mischievously.

The half-Japanese narrowed her eyes, an intimidating aura forming around her.

"Too far, Kuro," Kenma mumbled, shaking his head.

"...sorry." The third-year shrank back a little, not liking the look on Cosette's face, and Seira stifled a giggle.

"But, let me help you, alright?" Yaku raised his eyebrows. "You have to eat, you know?"

"Morisuke, I'm fine, I can---"

"Ohohoho~!"

Cosette sighed in annoyance.

"First-name basis, now, are we~?"

He can't help it, Seira and Naomi sweatdropped as Ayame laughed.

"Kuroo?" Cosette's voice dripped with honey as she sent him a sickeningly sweet smile. "Would you do me a favor and shut up?"

The middle-blocker closed his mouth as Cosette turned back to Yaku.

Why is it always me? He thought.

"I'm okay, really, you don't have to---"

Yaku put a finger to her lips, his eyes narrowing slightly. "Don't try that with me."

"E-eh...?"

"Cosette, whether you want me to or not---"

"Ano, excuse me..."

Everyone turned towards the cool, feminine voice.

"Kiyoko!" Naomi smiled.

"I was just wondering if you had seen Hitoka anywhere."

"Oh! She went inside; I think to get drinks or something. I'm not sure," Seira said.

"Ah, I see... thank you," Kiyoko bowed politely, leaving everyone in silence as she walked away.

"Seriously, she's so pretty," Ayame sighed.

"Da yo ne?" Naomi shook her head.

"Cosette---"

"Y-you really don't have to---"

"Get it over with, you two," Seira rolled her eyes playfully.

And eventually, after a few more protests, Cosette gave in, much to Kuroo's and Seira's delight.

"Aaah~! I can't believe it's the last night!" Ayame sighed.. "I think we did a pretty good job with the production, yeah?"

"Do we get to see it?" Kuroo asked.

"Well, um... I think we're having a premier later tonight," Seira said thoughtfully. "The production team is pretty fast at editing and all that."

"That fast?" Yaku raised an eyebrow. "We just finished recording the last scene today!"

"It's, either tonight, or we're only premiering for Nekoma and Shinzen around next week..." Naomi's voice trailed off.

"I don't think they'll finish editing so quickly," Cosette spoke up. "We're probably having another premier here, with our school invited."

"Can we bring plus-ones, do you think?" Ayame tilted her head.

"Unlikely," Naomi said. "It'll already be packed with just two schools."

They spoke for a while longer, although Cosette and Kenma never really said much.

Kuroo held back a smirk when he saw his childhood friend sneaking several glances at the half-Japanese, whose eyes were usually focused on the table, lost in her thoughts.

"Hey, everybody, listen up!" Bokuto shouted, interrupting everyone's conversations and cupping his hands as he stood on top of a table.

Several heads turned his way.

"It's our last night at camp today! How many of you stay tuned with the news?"

A few hands went up.

"Do you know what tonight is?"

Silence.

"It's the night of a meteor shower! A once-in-a-lifetime meteor shower!"

A ripple of murmurs went through the crowd.

"Hontou?" Hinata cried out. "That's really cool!"

"So, it's almost evening--- let's take a seat on the hill! It's stargazing time!"

"Yeah!"

Ah... the meteor shower... Kenma thought, glancing at Cosette. No, I can't.

"Do you know what meteor showers mean in Japan?" Kuroo said with a slight smirk. "People say that if you confess your love to someone while watching a meteor shower, your love will last forever."

Kenma gave him a look, and his smirk widened.

I knew it, he was directing that at me...

"Oh yeah!" Yaku nodded. "I've heard that somewhere."

"That must be just a superstition..." Seira mumbled, looking away as Ayame coughed loudly.

"Probably, but, it's nice to know," Kuroo laughed, teasingly putting his arm around the redhead.

Cosette subconsciously glanced at Naomi, who had averted her gaze to her food, as if suddenly finding it interesting.

I wonder... if she's going to do it...

Cosette shook her head.

I shouldn't be too concerned... why does it bother me?

"Well, come on, let's go find a place before all the good spots get taken," Yaku cleared his throat.

"There's a lot of people already here," Naomi sighed as they reached the top of the hill.

"The air is cool tonight," Cosette noted.

"Yeah! It's great weather for stargazing, don'tcha think?" Ayame grinned. She turned to Seira-tan, lowering her voice to a whisper. "Are you confessing?"

"Wh-what?!"

"Just answer!"

"...no, I don't think so. Are you?"

"Probably not. But I did get his number, so~"

Seira rolled her eyes.

"Hey, look. Kuroo-san is waving us over."

The redhead turned.

I have a plan, he seemed to be mouthing.

◈◈◈

The two second-years had walked on ahead in search of a spot to stargaze, and when they finally did and turned around, expecting the others to be following them, they stopped.

"Where...?" Cosette's voice trailed off.

"They were right behind us a moment ago," Kenma's eyes narrowed a little, already assuming that Kuroo was behind this.

They planned this out. He planned it out.

"I just tried texting Seira, Ayame, and Naomi... they aren't replying."

"They won't," he muttered.

"Eh?"

Kenma shook his head, sighing. "They probably meant to ditch us."

"Why would they--"

"...nevermind. It's a long story."

He didn't even bother contacting Kuroo.

He leant against the tree, pointedly looking at the sky.

"Ano... Kenma?"

The setter turned his head towards her as she sat cross-legged beside him.

"Do you believe in that superstiton...?"

"...the meteor shower one?"

"Yeah..."

Kenma thoughtfully leant his head against the tree. "I don't know," he said plainly. "I've never tried it out."

"Oh..."

Cosette didn't know why, but she couldn't seem to be able to warm up to the fact that Naomi might be confessing tonight.

"Do you believe it?"

Cosette made the mistake of looking at him.

The fact that his eyes always seemed to see right through her, the fact that he always seemed to know exactly what she was thinking... even if he barely knew her, she felt like he could already read her like a book.

But she slowly closed her eyes, relaxing a little.

"Well... I don't know either, really... it's a new theory for me..."

"I see..."

There was a pause.

"Can I... ask you something...?"

"Hmm?"

"Is there... by any chance... anyone that you like...?"

Cosette's eyes flew open, completely surprised.

"Sorry... that's a really sudden question..."

"No, it's alright, I just... I've never really thought of it that much..."

"Really...?"

"Yeah... I... don't usually like getting attached to people..."

Kenma observed her for a bit, his expression softening. He knew that that statement was somehow connected to something that had happened in the past.

"Do you like anyone, Kenma?"

He flinched, startled.

"...yeah."

You.

"Really?" Cosette's eyes widened in surprise.

"I don't think I have a shot, though," he said quietly.

"Why not?"

"I don't know... I just... she seems hard to reach..."

"Oh... I see..."

"But she's... a great person. She just doesn't see it."

Kenma smiled shyly at her.

"Well... you should go and confess to her, then..."

But he shook his head. "It would probably ruin everything. I'm okay... with the way things are right now."

Shouts resounded all around, and the two looked at the sky.

Cosette's lips parted slightly as she witnessed millions of stars shooting across the sky.

It's so... beautiful...

She had never seen something so magnificent in her life.

Kenma smiled a little, placing his hand gently on top of hers.

"You probably won't know, but it's you I was talking about," he whispered, ever so quietly.

Cosette didn't hear him over the sounds of awe around her. She didn't even notice that he had moved his hand over hers. She couldn't take her focus off from the sky.

◈◈◈

kay so i know i know i havent updated at all last week, i was hella busy with last-minute stuff, bc spring break is finally here woo-hoo ^^

But uhhh--- i hope you liked this 3k worded chapter bc i enjoyed writing this, i seriously did xD

Youre going to kill me, youre probably going to kill me bc kenma---

I am sorry

Dedicating this to the lovely HAYASHIDA_RYUTO bc okay she's a really good writer she has this hq ff called "Secretive" anD IF YOU LOVE ME DO ME A FAVOR AND GO CHECK IT OUT :'))

Okay but i love you all despite the fact that i might get attacked after this chapter bc of your mixed feelings :3

Thank you for 2k reads, guys!

~Perichan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

246K 5.7K 21
You and Kuroo were once in love... until one day, he forgot all about you. *This is a random fanfic written on a whim. I do not own the characters no...
20.7K 934 15
Sometimes love deserves a second chance, cause time wasn't ready for the first one. Kuroo Tetsurou x Reader
24.4K 1K 63
༄ 𝖍𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖆; "I've lost many things in life; time, love, sanity- I'm about to lose my sanity. Without you here, it feels empty and seclude...
119K 5.2K 52
Y/N l/N has returned to Tokyo after a long five years. With her parents out of the picture and, your sister in your custody, it was time to finally g...