Crossing Worlds (Avatar: A Fa...

By BonnieTheHuman

"I raise my head slowly to look at the person talking to me. A bald kid with blue tattoos in the shape of arr... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: The Accident
Chapter 2: Reflections and Hallucinations
Chapter 3: Of Introductions and Unintroductions
Chapter 4: Making New Old Friends
Chapter 5 (Part 1): Spilling The Beans
Chapter 5 (Part 2): Truth Revealed
Chapter 6: The Fortune-teller's Predictions
Chapter 7: Questions and Answers
Chpt 8: Missing Memories and More Trouble
Chapter 9: Angry Boy and First Impressions
Chapter 10: Trouble in Paradise
Chapter 11: The Deal
Chapter 12 - Part 1: It Wasn't Much of a Search
Chapter 12 - Part 2: It Was More of a Rescue
Chapter 13: A Reunion of All Sorts
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 14: In Which I Die
Chapter 15: A History Lesson
Chapter 17: Bonding Sessions and A Long Lost Family
Chapter 18: Back To Life
AUTHOR'S NOTE
It's Official

Chapter 16: And I Come Alive Again

2.5K 114 21
By BonnieTheHuman

Shocked by the sudden opening of the door, I tug my hand back quickly and move to stand aside with the stranger. I don't want to miss anything that's going to happen.

The door slowly shifts open, and in comes the soul we're looking for. Silvery, light and glowing, our soul seems to have grown a pair of arm and legs, although the form is still blurry. It floats into the room, twist around curiously to look at everything, then move to sit in the chair opposite the large table in the middle of the office.

"Welcome to the Afterlife, please take a seat," a bodiless voice greets without emotion. To my surprise, the previously vacant seat behind the desk is suddenly occupied by a woman in grey suit. She looks pretty normal, though. Unlike the silver light of soul, she looks human.

The soul nods its head, and that's when I realise it has one. The silvery mess we saw at the hospital has taken the shape of the man standing quietly beside me. However, there isn't any details or features on his face, so he just looks like a faceless ghost. It reminds me of Slenderman.

"You are briefed through the basics when you stepped through into the Afterlife, am I right?" The woman asks in a bored tone. Then without waiting for an answer, she takes out a few colourful brochures from the drawers of her desk. "Here are the dimensions and worlds you can choose to be reborn in, according to what you did and who you were in the past life. Please make your decision and get back to me as soon as you do."

The soul nods again. I scrutinise it carefully, noticing that here and there, little lines are popping out to form its features. It is slowly transforming into a human body.

The woman seems unfazed by this happening, because she continues in the same, bored tone. "Any enquiries, please refer to the information counter at the front of the building. Thank you, and have a nice afterlife."

The silvery double of the man floats up and tries to pick the papers up, having the need to do it a few times before his hand is solid enough to actually manage the motion. Finally, he does and turns away to exit the room on his newly grown feet.

As I watch the soul leave, the woman in the office drops her bored demeanour and looks around sneakily before farting. Then she slowly fades away from the seat, leaving the room empty of souls, except for ours.

Nice.

I turn to watch the man standing beside me. He gives me a small smile and waits patiently for my response.

"So...That's what you wanted to show me?" The guy nods. "That was you? Then you transformed until the way you are now?" I guess. He nods again, twice.

"Was the woman in suit an afterlife employee?"

He nods again.

"There are other dimensions of universe?" A nod. "That means all the theories of other universes are spot-on? There are other beings out there?"

Nod, nod.

"Woah," I say after a long pause.

I shake my head slowly, trying to find words to describe what I'm feeling. Which is pretty much undescribable. "I – just – damn. All the time people have been wondering what happens after they die, and now the answer is – it's handed to me on a silver platter."

The man nods with a beam. "You are rather lucky."

"But... Why did you show me all this? Isn't the Afterlife supposed to be kept a secret?" I gasp conspiratorially. "Aren't you afraid that I'll tell the world about this? Is the living even supposed to know about this? Don't tell me you'll have to kill me so I won't blab!"

He chuckles, then shakes his head. "Sorry Luna, but I don't think anyone would actually believe you if you say you know what's after death. That's why there's no need for me to kill you."

I frown a little. "You're right. People would think I'm crazy."

"You probably are."

I punch his arm lightly.

"So anyway, that means you chose to be reborn on Earth, as me? After you died?" I ask. There are other dimensions? Other worlds we can choose to live in? I have to repeat these facts to myself to remind me that they are true.

The man shakes his head, his eyes lighting up. "Mmm...not really. You see, I chose to be reborn in some other place, a place where the world is divided into four nations, and where people can bend the elements."

I freeze. He...we can choose to be reborn in...that means he chose-

"The Avatar World?" I whisper.

"Yup." He grins.

"Oh." I stand up straight, suddenly feeling breathless. "Oh, my lord. And to think... Wow. And people on Earth made a story about the Avatar World, thinking its all fiction, when in fact it is all real...my God."

The man nods seriously. "Everything was in the brochures. Every kind of World. Only those I deserved, of course."

There's something about his answer that tickles my mind...a question I need the answer to...

"Who were you?" I blurt. "Who are you?" Only now does it occur to me that I have no idea who this person I've been hanging out with is.

He chuckles mysteriously. "In this current form, my name's Robert. I was a single man on Earth. I was rather rich, because of the economy bloom during the time I was born. Actually," Robert continues, scratching his chin. "I can't even remember when I was born...doesn't matter. Anyway, when my time was up, I decided to be reborn into the Avatar world. And I was born as aghijbumfl!"

"Excuse me?"

Robert looks to be in physical discomfort as he tries to unfurl his tongue. When he finally does, he gasps, "Sorry, I- I can't tell!"

"But what do you mean, 'you can't tell'?" I stare at him incredulously.

Robert scratches his head and shrugs. He seems to be recovering from the initial shock. "This must be the work of Fate," he mutters.

I lean in closer to hear what he's talking about. Fate? Did I hear him right? Robert sees me staring. "What?"

"Work of Fate? Are you kidding me?"

"Fate is a real, sentient being, Luna. no," he says when I raise my eyebrow, "I'm not lying. I've seen her in passing, once. From what I've heard, she's rather...eccentric."

"You mean she's weird."

"I did not say that."

"It's alright, I won't tell her," I pat his arm sympathetically.

"What makes you think you will see her? Or even get the chance to talk to her?" Robert challenges, his cheeks lightly pink.

"Gut feeling," I reply, patting said gut.

Robert laughs. "Fine. But don't be disappointed if you don't get to see her. I mean, she has billions of billions of lives to control, after all. To say she's a busy being would be an understatement of an understatement."

"Then I must be really special for her to send specifically me back into the Avatar world. Because I really love it."

Robert shrugs. "Ah, the workings of her Almighty's mind. One can never know."

I rock on the balls of my feet slightly, trying to wrap my mind around the fact that we're having a conversation about a being named Fate and that we're having a conversation about it.

"So...which reincarnation of you am I? I mean, am I like, your immediate reincarnation? Or there are a few hundreds of me before me?"

"Good question," Robert remarks in surprise. I preen a little, liking the feeling of being complimented. "I believe you're the second."

I nod. "Then, well, why did you come to me? There must be other past lives of ours to show me around. Why you?"

Robert pauses to think, then answers carefully. "I think it's because I'm the, er, immediate predecessor of the current life in the Avatar World, in which you're visiting. And also because you're not spiritually connected enough to the Spirits of our past."

It takes me a minute to decipher what he means. When I do, the urge to know my immediate predecessor, the one in the Avatar World now, becomes stronger. But according to Robert: "Fate doesn't allow it."

"But... Why? Why did Fate send me back to my past life, in my present form?" I pace around the empty office, trying to think. But due to all the mind bombs, my brain has decided to desert me. I'm drawing blanks as to why Fate would send me into the Avatar World. "I remember what Aunt Wu said, though. At her palm-reading session. She said something like...the fate of the world rests on my shoulders? Oh!" I clasp my hand over my mouth, realising something important. "And she said that I've 'been here before'! So she was right! I was there; just in my past life!"

Robert frowns. "Hmm... I wasn't keeping tabs on you at that point, but I'll take your word for it. I don't know what Aunt Wu meant, because what she said can only happen in the future. Your past, my future," he corrects hastily. "So unless you ask Fate herself, no-one can tell you why you're back in the past."

I sigh in disappointment.

"But," Robert adds. "My guess is that your immediate past life is in trouble and needs your help."

I sigh again. That doesn't really clear things up. "Are there any clues as to who my past life is? Is there, I dunno, maybe a link or something that connects one lifetime to another?"

Robert's eyes twinkle as he snaps his finger in delight. "That, was a good question! And in time, too." Robert gestures at the office. I look around, about to ask what he meant by 'in time', when I almost have my forty-seventh heart attack in the time I've spent in the Spirit World.

"When did we even leave the office?!" I gasp in shock. We have suddenly arrive back at the forest, right where we started.

Robert chuckles at my reaction. Tapping his temple, he says, "Mind over matter, Luna. Remember that." I roll my eyeballs, teenage-style. "We came back because you're wanted back in the Avatar World. This is the place you entered, this is the place you exit," he explains. "Anyway, to answer your question, I'll give you a hint."

"Wait, what? I'm supposed to leave? That fast?" I ask with a small frown, distracted by the fact I have to go soon. "But I don't want to!" I whine.

Who would, after visiting this place? It is a solace, a place of bliss,  where there are always suffering no matter who or where or what you are.

But you know what they say about bliss.

Robert seems to read my mind, and pats my back. "Luna, don't worry so much about the future. You can choose to look at it the negative way - where there are always pain and death; or you can look at it the positive way - where there are love, hope, family and friends. Believe me, it's always the latter that makes things easier."

That reminds me.

"Robert," I ask awkwardly, not used to using his name. "When will I meet my family again? Will I... leave here for good if I do, or is there a way to come back?" Even as I ask, I dreaded the answer. I want to go home to my beloved family, and yet... I already have one here in the Avatar World.

Robert gives me a small smile. "You will reunite with your old family, that's for sure. Even Fate cannot change time. However," his tone softens, and my heart drops to my stomach, "about coming back...I'm not sure if you can."

My heart continues its descent to my feet. "You're – you're not sure? That means there'll be a slight, slight chance that I'll get to come back, right?"

The man smiles sadly, choosing to stay silent. "It's okay," I say – to him or to myself, I'm not sure. "I'll find a way to come back."

"I hope you do," Robert says, blinking. "I know you can."

Giving him a bleak smile, I change the subject. "Thank you for guiding me through this mess." I put my hand out to shake Robert's. "I appreciate everything that you did for me."

Robert looks at my outstretched hand in amusement, then ignores it and pulls me in for a hug.

"Now you'll be the only person who has ever hugged herself with another body," he says with a warm laugh. "You're welcome, by the way."

I chuckle lightly and we both break apart at the same time. There's a lead in my heart at the thought of leaving, but when I think of everyone I love that are waiting for me, the heaviness subsides.

"Will we ever meet again?" I ask Robert, who looks equally sad at having to say goodbye.

"As long as you're in the Avatar World," Robert promises. "There aren't any portals to the Spirit World on Earth."

I smile. That's better than nothing. Then I yawn widely. My head grows heavy as sleepiness suddenly overcome me. "That's wee-we-ird," I yawn again. "I feel so tired all of a sudden."

Robert raises his eyebrows. "That is your calling," he says. "This is goodbye then... Well, for now, anyway."

"Am I supposed to fall asleep standing?" I ask sleepily, rubbing my eyes, trying to fight the sleepiness.

"I don't think that'll matter," Robert answers in a faraway voice. My eyes are shutting off at their own accord. His voice sounds echoey. "Wait!" He suddenly cries. "I haven't given you your hint!"

"Oh, that's right. My hint for figuring out how wee-we're-" yawn, "-connected."

Suddenly, I widen my eyes when I notice that I'm actually being carried away into blackness. Robert and the forest of the Spirit World are shrinking slowly from my view. But a few seconds after the shock, a huge yawn racks my body again, and I can no longer care less if my body is floating straight into the mouth of a huge monster ready to tear me into pieces. Really, I am that sleepy.

I hear Robert's distant chuckle. "The hint is this: all our lifetimes, we've always been in some kind of sports that has a certain theme to it. I was a waterpolo player. You're a swimmer. You can use this clue to find out who your immediate past life is, if you really want to know."

I nod, half-hearing what he said. "Swimming..." I mutter, desperately trying to file it safely into my mind before sleep takes over. When I'm sure the clue is safely stored, I finally allow my body to relax, letting myself drown completely in the black ink of nothingness.

*

Rustle, rustle. A whisper. Someone poking my right arm.

"Wow, that's a great job you did, Katara," a familiar voice says beside my ear. "The wound is almost completely healed."

A girl's voice answers from my left. "Thanks, Aang. Although it was mostly healer Yugoda's working. I just hope she doesn't feel the pain when she wakes. Perhaps I haven't put enough medicine onto it..."

I lay completely still, unable to move. I feel completely weighed down by something heavy. Medicine, perhaps. I'm wondering about the 'she' they're talking about when I realise they're talking about me. I try feeling around, but I can't feel any pain.

"When do you think she's going to wake up anyway?" Another familiar male voice asks from my left. "She's taking an awfully long time t- ow!"

"How can you say that about someone who just saved the whole world from being thrown into chaos?!" Katara scolds. "She gets to rest as long as she wants, without you judging her for it."

"Yeah, Sokka," Aang agrees.

I can hear a sniffle and the sound of someone rubbing their arm. "Okay, okay. I'm sorry, it's just that...I kinda – maybe – miss her. Y'know?" Sokka says. "And, she's been gone for almost two weeks!" He adds defensively.

"I'm sure we all do, Sokka," Katara assures him, her voice heavy. "Come on, it's time for dinner with the Chief and Yue. Can't afford to be late. It's our last dinner together. We'll visit Luna again tomorrow morning."

No! I thought in desperation, struggling to move my finger. Don't leave! I'm awake! I want to move, to reassure them - my friends, my family - that I'm okay, but there is something unnatural pressing me, holding me down. Sort of like morphine. Tears bead at my eyes at the fight to relinquish control over my body. I'm about to give up when suddenly Aang says, "Wait."

My heart soars at this single syllable, four-lettered word. The drop of liquid in the corner of my eye slowly slides down my face. I can hear the shifting of three pairs of feet as they turn towards me. "Is that... water on Luna's face?" Aang asks, sounding confused. I try to give them a sign that I'm awake, and manage a small twitch in my mouth.

"Luna?!" All three of them chorus in disbelief. Then there's the sound of a pair of feet running to my side.

"Luna! Are you awake? Can you hear me?" Katara whispers urgently, grabbing my left hand and holding it tight. She's trembling.

With the guide of her warm hand on mine, I manage to squeeze it softly. Katara heaves a huge, relieved sigh. "Luna's awake!" She cries happily. "What did I do? Why can't you move?" She frets, fingers touching my palms, my hands, my forehead. "What did I do?" She asks again, turning away from me to ask someone else.

Sokka steps in with a more controlled tone, although he sounds pretty impatient himself. "Try giving her a full body healing, maybe her system isn't used to the medicine. Can you remove the medicine from her body?"

I can almost see Katara's determined nod, Sokka's calculating look and Aang's hopeful smile, even though my eyes are sealed shut. Yes, please, I think in my head. Get me out of this state, and quick.

In no time, my body is submerged in water. Dinner seems to be a faraway dream to all three of them as they attempt to raise me from the dead.

Katara instructs the boys to do this and that, while she waterbends the water around my body. Since my ears are underwater, I can't make out a single word. But I can feel something going on in my tub of water, like the liquid in my body is following the movement of Katara's waterbending.

Suddenly, without warning, my body feels as light as a feather. I feel my chest heave as I take in a huge gulp of air. My body is free!

I sit up quickly with a gasp, provoking scared exclamations from those around me. Finally, I open my eyes to see the most welcoming sight ever - Katara, Sokka and Aang, all side-by-side, wearing expressions that can only be described as relieve. Each of them have a megawatt grin on their faces.

There's a beat of silence as we take in each other eagerly. Then Aang breaks the silence.

"Welcome back, Luna."

I return them with a thousand-watt grin. "It's good to be back."

****

A/N: *whispers* I'm sorrrryyy for being gone for so long.

What do you think? Any suggestions? :D

Vote or comment to let me know you were here! :)

Love you guys! ;*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.6K 2.4K 16
DISCONTINUED **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚🔥˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚* She was born to be a strong warrior. Not only did she possess the ability to firebend, but the blood of th...
90.7K 3.3K 48
There is an old folklore about the Children of the Forest. They were mortal spirits who were the First Benders with the ability to travel freely to t...
14.8K 555 56
welp I'm pretty sure the title says it all but I'll write a cheeky description anyway just because you're looking so cute today. It's a modern world...
88.4K 2.4K 23
Kya, Sokka's twin and Katara's older sister sets off on a journey through the Earth Kingdom with Zuko and Iroh in hopes of being able to spark a chan...