Possessed

By natashapreston

Devon Barnes and her best friend, Dante Granger, have just finished University and move into the third story... More

Possessed - Chapter One
Possessed - Chapter Two
Possessed - Chapter Three
Possessed - Chapter Four
Possessed - Chapter Five
Possessed - Chapter Six
Possessed - Chapter Seven
Possessed - Chapter Eight
Possessed - Chapter Nine
Possessed - Chapter Ten
Possessed - Chapter Eleven
Possessed - Chapter Twelve
Possessed - Chapter Thirteen
Possessed - Chapter Fourteen
Possessed - Chapter Fifteen
Possessed - Chapter Sixteen - Part Two
Possessed - Chapter Seventeen
Possessed - Chapter Eighteen
Possessed - Chapter Nineteen

Possessed - Chapter Sixteen - Part One

11.8K 639 61
By natashapreston

Chapter Sixteen – Part One

I didn’t know what to expect. I’d seen exorcisms in movies but movies exaggerated everything so I laid perfectly still, sensing Peter and Dante move around in the room. Spencer still hadn’t let go of my hand, and I didn’t want him to. I hoped Peter didn’t make him.

“Zara Jones, if you’re here please let it be known,” Peter said with authority. I gulped. I didn’t want her here.

Spencer’s hand tightened around mine.

“Zara Jones, I call you to leave Devon immediately and pass on.” I couldn’t help it, the corner of my lips pulled up. I half expected a film crew to burst through the door and tell me it was all a joke. Spencer squeezed my hand, and I didn’t know if it was because he was amused at Peter’s words too or if he was telling me to take it seriously.

The room fell deathly quiet, and I realised it was because Peter was waiting. My smile faded and heart raced. Would I even know if she took over my body? I never have before.

After what felt like hours, I flicked my eyes open. “Well?” I asked. Should something be happening? Was she already gone? Surely not after Peter asked once!

“We’re waiting, Devon. There are no guarantees but hopefully she’ll show herself soon and we can either expel her immediately or at least find out what she wants.”

I frowned. “We know what she wants; Spencer.”

“Ah but what’s her plan. What does she want long-term. Being stuck between this world and peace at the other side can’t be easy. Perhaps if we have more information we’ll be able to help her move on.”

Okay this is ridiculous. I can’t believe I’m having this conversation. “This isn’t Ghost Whisperer. I don’t care what she wants, I just want my life back,” I hissed. Why me? Why couldn’t she just leave me alone?

“Shh, Devon, calm down,” Spencer said, stroking my hair. “It’s going to be okay but you have to stay calm.”

I squeezed my eyes closed. Zara, please.

She opened her eyes and saw Dante and Spencer looking over her. She was in a room she didn’t recognise and beside her stood a man she didn’t recognise. Who the fuck was he? In one quick, swift movement she was sitting.

Dante’s eyes widened. “Zara,” he whispered.

“Zara,” the stranger said. “I call you to leave this body and –”

“No,” she screamed, the sound echoed through the small room. The men fell to their knees, holding their hands tightly over their ears. A look of pure pain spread across their faces. She felt bad that Spencer was hurting, she hurt because of it and she stopped.

The fucking priest stared at Zara with his small mouth hanging wide open. She was not going to let him or anyone destroy her. “Zara,” he said, holding both hands up. “It’s okay. I just want to speak with you. We want to help you.”

No, he wanted to get rid of her. He wanted to let Devon steal her life and she was not going to let that happen. She was owed her shot with Spencer. She knew they could be happy together if he just gave them a chance. He preferred blondes; she’d picked someone that fit his ‘type’ perfectly. This could work. This had to work because she wasn’t letting him go this time.

She wasn’t even religious, or anti-religious. The thought of a priest trying to banish her made her cackle. Throwing her head back, she let it out, laughing so deeply she didn’t recognise her own voice. Priests did nothing to her. His cross didn’t hurt and his words didn’t burn. She wasn’t a demon.

“What are you doing?” she asked as she calmed down.

“You fucking leave my friend alone,” Dante spat. Spencer punched his arm and warmth spread through her heard. He’d defended her.

She turned to Dante and blood boiled in her veins. Her lips curled and eyes narrowed. She wanted him gone. The interfering bastard just got in her way. How dare he try to come between her and Spencer? They were meant to be. Anyone could see that, even Spencer was starting to. He defended her over Dante. He wanted her and not Devon. She always knew he would but it took him so long to realise. That wouldn’t matter now, he was there, where she was and they could be happy now.

It wouldn’t be long now. She was getting closer to her final plan and that made her nervous, excited and impatient. She wasn’t going to spend the rest of eternity alone and she wasn’t going to wait for Spencer to turn old and frail.

The priest and Dante stood between her and the door. Why couldn’t they just leave her alone? She sighed sharply, feeling angry, hateful, wronged and robbed of a life she wanted, and people were still trying to stop her. She launched herself forwards, holding nothing back and pounced on the priest like a wild animal.

Her vision darkened. Blinded by rage, she squeezed her arms around the priest’s neck and growled. “Shit!” she heard Dante shout and felt two pairs of hands on her, trying to pull her off.

The priest gasped, spluttered and shoved at her with his big hands. “Zara, Zara,” Spencer chanted. His voice, singing her name, made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. She released the priest’s neck and spun around. Dante dropped to the floor as the priest fell down but Spencer stayed standing with her. Again choosing her.

He held his hands up and she tilted her head, wondering what he was going to say next. “Zara,” he repeated, and she closed her eyes. She’d wanted to hear him say her name for so long and now he was saying it over and over. “It’s okay. Everything’s going to be okay, just calm down. You don’t want to go, do you?”

She shook her head. She wanted to stay with him, to have the life that was snatched away from her.

“Alright. You don’t have to.”

“What the fuck?” Dante shouted, throwing his hands up but staying on the floor with the choking priest. “That psycho is leaving Devon today! Right now.”

She turned and tilted her head to the side again. He was still trying to get in her way. Was the man taking deep breaths and rubbing his sore neck not warning enough for him? He didn’t give up easily but neither did she.

“Zara, it’s okay,” Spencer said quickly, gaining her attention again. “Dante, I understand you’ll miss Devon but Zara has a choice too. She wants to stay, and I think we should respect that.” Spencer bowed his head so slightly she almost missed it. Dante caught it too and finally stood up.

He shook his head. “I’ll do it myself then. Get out,” he hissed. “Both of you.”

She followed Spencer out, basking in the win and the glaring match Spencer and Dante shared as they left the room. Ethel stood as they made their way through the living room. “Is it done?”

“Shut up,” Zara snapped.

Outside she took Spencer’s hand. “Where to baby?”

“My place I guess. I’m tired.” He looked tired. Tired and tense. She would get him home and look after him; she wanted to do that for him.

“I’ll run you a bath and then you can sleep.”

“Sounds perfect.” They walked towards home and she assumed they’d flag a taxi down on the way. “How are you feeling?”

“Never better. This,” she said, holding up their entwined hands, “is all I’ve ever wanted.” Spencer gulped and nodded.

Spencer took her back to his house and got her settled on the sofa and then went to make her a cup of tea. She loved how normal it was. Putting her feet on the coffee table, she sunk into the cushions and closed her eyes. This was how it was meant to be. They should have been happy, living together, chilling on Spencer’s day off of work.

She knew she couldn’t have this forever, eventually she would have to take Spencer with her so they could spend eternity together, but she decided to give herself a few days and enjoy her one and only chance at being a normal couple like everyone else. Maybe they could go out to dinner, bowling or to the cinema. They never got to do that before, not alone as a couple anyway. She mentally marked a date on the calendar – giving herself two days as a human couple. After all, she deserved it.

In two days she would take Spencer back to her old flat, into her old room where it ended before. There she would explain everything to him. She would tell him they were meant to be together for eternity. When she had finished explaining they would jump from her window and finally be together. They were going to end it together the way she ended it on her own. Spencer would jump to be with her, one way or another.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199 2 12
Dominic is finally making a life for himself. He's going to a small community college, he has a part-time job at a bakery that pays well, and he fina...
135K 2.4K 5
It’s the middle of fall semester at Commonwealth University, and Cara Oliver is the resident assistant on the ninth floor of the Hynes Hall dormitory...
38K 2.2K 27
When Nyx Forbes moves into a new home with her antique dealer parents and little brother, she hopes that the change will heal her crumbling family an...
399 15 11
Lucy has always been into the occult. She grew up on horror movies as a child and never grew out of it. When she and her best friend Mina realize the...