Possessed - Chapter Sixteen - Part One

Chapter Sixteen – Part One

I didn’t know what to expect. I’d seen exorcisms in movies but movies exaggerated everything so I laid perfectly still, sensing Peter and Dante move around in the room. Spencer still hadn’t let go of my hand, and I didn’t want him to. I hoped Peter didn’t make him.

“Zara Jones, if you’re here please let it be known,” Peter said with authority. I gulped. I didn’t want her here.

Spencer’s hand tightened around mine.

“Zara Jones, I call you to leave Devon immediately and pass on.” I couldn’t help it, the corner of my lips pulled up. I half expected a film crew to burst through the door and tell me it was all a joke. Spencer squeezed my hand, and I didn’t know if it was because he was amused at Peter’s words too or if he was telling me to take it seriously.

The room fell deathly quiet, and I realised it was because Peter was waiting. My smile faded and heart raced. Would I even know if she took over my body? I never have before.

After what felt like hours, I flicked my eyes open. “Well?” I asked. Should something be happening? Was she already gone? Surely not after Peter asked once!

“We’re waiting, Devon. There are no guarantees but hopefully she’ll show herself soon and we can either expel her immediately or at least find out what she wants.”

I frowned. “We know what she wants; Spencer.”

“Ah but what’s her plan. What does she want long-term. Being stuck between this world and peace at the other side can’t be easy. Perhaps if we have more information we’ll be able to help her move on.”

Okay this is ridiculous. I can’t believe I’m having this conversation. “This isn’t Ghost Whisperer. I don’t care what she wants, I just want my life back,” I hissed. Why me? Why couldn’t she just leave me alone?

“Shh, Devon, calm down,” Spencer said, stroking my hair. “It’s going to be okay but you have to stay calm.”

I squeezed my eyes closed. Zara, please.

She opened her eyes and saw Dante and Spencer looking over her. She was in a room she didn’t recognise and beside her stood a man she didn’t recognise. Who the fuck was he? In one quick, swift movement she was sitting.

Dante’s eyes widened. “Zara,” he whispered.

“Zara,” the stranger said. “I call you to leave this body and –”

“No,” she screamed, the sound echoed through the small room. The men fell to their knees, holding their hands tightly over their ears. A look of pure pain spread across their faces. She felt bad that Spencer was hurting, she hurt because of it and she stopped.

The fucking priest stared at Zara with his small mouth hanging wide open. She was not going to let him or anyone destroy her. “Zara,” he said, holding both hands up. “It’s okay. I just want to speak with you. We want to help you.”

No, he wanted to get rid of her. He wanted to let Devon steal her life and she was not going to let that happen. She was owed her shot with Spencer. She knew they could be happy together if he just gave them a chance. He preferred blondes; she’d picked someone that fit his ‘type’ perfectly. This could work. This had to work because she wasn’t letting him go this time.

She wasn’t even religious, or anti-religious. The thought of a priest trying to banish her made her cackle. Throwing her head back, she let it out, laughing so deeply she didn’t recognise her own voice. Priests did nothing to her. His cross didn’t hurt and his words didn’t burn. She wasn’t a demon.