Possessed - Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I sat on the sofa sipping a glass of white wine. My head was swimming. What the hell was going on? None of it made sense and I couldn’t seem to let it go. I was going to go crazy if I didn’t, though. There was no point in discussing it with Dante either, he thought I was insane already.

Chewing my lip, I reconsidered the possibility that I was just tired and looking too far into a few strange coincidences. I groaned in frustration loudly. How many times was I going to go over this and second-guess myself? The thing was, I wanted there to be a logical explanation, but there just wasn’t one.

“Honey, I’m home,” Dante called, and slammed the front door shut with his foot. “Uh-oh. On the booze already. What happened?”

Like I could tell him without being teased. “Nothing. Long day.”

He frowned. “Already?”

“Not in a bad way. I’m just tired and wanted to relax.”

He nodded and then smiled. “Risotto for dinner?”

“Sounds perfect,” I replied, kicking my feet up on the coffee table. With Dante home, I had a distraction. A very welcomed distraction. “Good day perving on your colleagues?”

He flopped down beside me. “Oh yes. I’m not sure if being extremely fucking fit is part of the job description or not, but there’s not one dog there.”

“Dante!” I scolded. “Looks don’t matter.”

“Looks shouldn’t matter, but they do.” Okay he had a point there. “Don’t worry, Girl, you’re the most beautiful in all the land.”

“Thanks,” I replied sarcastically.

“I’m being serious. If you weren’t my best friend we’d never leave the bedroom.”

I rolled my eyes. Why did the good-looking guys think they could get whoever they wanted? It was unattractive and a complete turn-off. “Can you send big headed Dante away please, he’s an arse.”

“You love his arse?” I want to live with a girl! Dante chuckled. “Alright, alright. I’m starting dinner now anyway, and you’re slowly drowning your sorrows in alcohol.”

“I’m not drowning anything,” I called after him. Was I? Not really. I took a quick sweep of the flat, nothing was odd or out of place, but I had thought that once before. Should I just move and save my sanity? I frowned. No. I loved this place, it was perfect for us. There was no way I could give up just like that.

While Dante was busy making dinner, and since I had been banned from the kitchen, I went to my room to do a search on Katherine Jones. Opening a Google page, I hovered my fingers above the keyboard. Part of me was desperate to find something and the other part was scared to.

I typed the name and hit enter. I held my breath as the page loaded. Scrolling down the page, I saw nothing of interest. It was mostly social networking sites and a couple of businesses that popped up. Nothing strange at all. Even the internet was telling me I was mad.

Deciding to go with a different direction, I typed in Paranormal Events, deciding to avoid the word activity and be swamped with pages about the movies. After a few sites about haunted experience nights and weekends, I stumbled upon a newspaper article reporting a record number of paranormal events in the UK.

Gulping, I clicked on the page and started to read the events. The mysterious rattling of chains, a women spotted peering out of an empty room window, and The Pleasure Beach ghost train ghost was supposedly spotted again last summer. I shuddered. People didn’t make this up; they wouldn’t get anything from it.