UNSHEATHED

By rsimkin

Exiled from her homeland, Elena found purpose in her work as the Captain of the Guard to the Queen of Kalad... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven

Chapter Nineteen

2.3K 224 7
By rsimkin

When Liran and Adina arrived at the cottage, they found the Captain and Ergin seated by the fireplace, enjoying a glass of wine. Liran scanned the Captain's face. She smiled pleasantly, but somehow the expression seemed false. Something was indeed troubling her. He would have to contrive a way to talk to her alone, but there was more pressing business.

He sat down to join them. Adina brought him a drink and took a place across from him.

"By now you have heard all about Rainna and her band. We're still looking for her, but there have been a number of threats, some of which have been directed at me personally and some directed at Castillon."

Ergin sipped his wine and nodded. "We have heard quite a bit, but I think we have news that may not have reached you yet," he said.

Liran leaned forward with interest.

"A group from our village just returned from Kalad. They took their wares to market there and returned with a story that has me quite concerned."

"Oh?" Liran felt his shoulders rise and his brows furrow. He was more anxious that he would like to admit.

"There is word from the Empire that Lord Argentia has swayed a large portion of the Legion to join him. I fear the Empire is disintegrating."

Liran noticed the Captain nearly drop her glass. Ergin solicitously touched her hand. Her features were set in a serious expression.

"Then Lord Argentia is our problem. I am also certain he isn't who he appears to be."

Adina and Ergin exchanged glances. Elena put her glass down and stood. She paced for a moment.

"I fought with him ten years ago. I tried to gain access to his court to learn what he was doing, but he discovered me. He was old in appearance then, but his strength was...unnatural." She hesitated as if something bothered her. "I went to investigate stories of people being plagued with troubling dreams. In them, they would feel compelled to follow some action, something subversive. Their stories always described someone who looked a lot like Lord Argentia appearing in their dreams. It can't be a coincidence."

Liran looked at Adina, who returned his stare. She turned to her husband and Elena.

"That sounds just like my patient's dreams."

Liran looked at each of his companions in turn. He shook his head.

"That is most disturbing. It all seems to be pointing to Lord Argentia planning to annex territory, possibly even as far as here."

"My Lord, are we at risk here in our quiet land of Castillon?" asked Adina.

Liran wasn't sure, but he couldn't deny the possibility. It played in his favour, in any case, to help make his case for an army for his land.

"All indications are that Lord Argentia, whoever he really is, has an interest in Castillon. Now it seems he has at least part of an army at his disposal as well. I came to ask for your help in raising an army to defend Castillon. Now it seems you have provided me with a most compelling reason why it must be done."

Liran stood and wandered over to the wall that was covered in paintings. He lingered in front of his parents' images. He turned to face the painter.

"Ergamin Lotreah, for all that my parents have helped build here in Castillon, will you help me to convince our people to fight to protect it?"

Ergin rose from his seat and placed a hand on his heart. "My Lord, you know I have no talent for fighting. But I will do whatever I can to defend this land. I will find you soldiers, if that's what you need." Liran released a breath and drank to the bottom of his glass.

#

When Liran woke in the morning with blue starlight dancing across his face, he stretched out his long legs and arms, splashed his face, dressed, and headed outside for a short walk. Riding always made him stiff. He needed to move.

He went out the back door, closing it carefully. It was still early. As he turned to head out on the path, he expected to see one of his guards stationed there who might follow him, but instead, he noticed the Captain, still dressed as she had been the night before. He wondered what was on her mind.

"Good morning Captain. Have you slept at all this past night, or are you standing on guard?"

She was leaning on a fence railing, looking far away. It took her a moment to focus on him.

"I dismissed the guard. I wasn't tired, and I figured one of us should get a decent night sleep." She caressed the weather-worn wood of the railing.

Liran, gauging her mood, figured it was time for that other talk.

"Won't you walk with me, then?" He held out his arm to indicate the way. The Captain dusted off her jacket and joined him.

Liran had to adjust his long stride to match hers. He nearly always had to, being so tall, but he noted he slowed only slightly.

"Ergin and Adina are very different people. When I come to visit, they always end up shaking out my way of thinking."

The Captain let a laugh bubble forth.

"I've been contemplating all night on the subject. It didn't take me long to realize they were married once they were together, but Ergin was a little too friendly yesterday when we were alone."

Liran shook his head. His friend always managed to stir up trouble. "I didn't think that Ergin would proposition you, Captain, or I wouldn't have sent you on alone. I told you they are unusual people, but I didn't explain in what way. I wasn't sure how you would receive them, to be honest."

The Captain halted and turned to him. "Did you think that because I'm Estallese, I'm too prim and proper and would be terribly offended?" She repressed a grin.

Liran couldn't help but smile back. The Estallese were known for their genteel attitudes, but she was a strong woman. It was silly of him to think she needed his protection in this matter.

The Captain began to walk again. The route went through the village, most of which was still shrouded in darkness and quiet.

"I've lived and worked most of my life among men. I'm used to handling their advances, desired or not."

In one sentence she managed to tell him what kind of woman she was. He hadn't asked, and didn't really want to know, but the Captain was honest and forthright. She wouldn't want to pretend either.

He sighed. It was hard to bring forth the right words. Relationships were not his strength. Had he not made a complete mess of his own marriage?

I am not being fair to myself, he thought. He had done so much for Rainna, but she had drifted further and further away in spite of his efforts. The Captain deserved whatever protection she might need; after all, she had helped return his home to him and freed his son.

"You have no kinsmen in this land. I could intercede if you needed."

The Captain's eyebrows rose. It appeared she was trying to suppress a laugh.

"Do you think my honour needs defending, My Lord?" Her eyes twinkled in the dawn light.

"I believe that our host is a libertine who doesn't always think before he acts."

"I should be able to handle him without your assistance, but thank you for the offer." She walked on for a while then paused, turning to him as the first rosy fingers of light reached through the trees.

"The Estallese are known to be rather puritanical, but its fakery, you know. They're no different than the Trillas here in Castillon. I cannot speak for the behaviour of the Hilliri, but our host does not seem typical of his kind."

Liran had to agree. The Hilliri were very stiff compared to the Trillas, but Ergin was his own man and he would not allow his conduct to be dictated by society.

"I was taken by surprise, though." The Captain smiled, making Liran feel better.

"He's an artist. He meant no harm, but he does tend to challenge people to question their assumptions about life."

Liran looked at the Captain. An unusual woman. A strong and fierce protector with a keen mind for strategy and planning, and a disciplined soldier. He told her that she belonged here in Castillon because of her uniqueness. He was certain now that he was correct. If she could handle Ergin, she would fit in well.

The Captain turned to look out into the woods.

"He made me think about being alone. I have just realized that I was lonely in Kalad. I kept busy with important work, but people kept away from me. I didn't really have any friends there, and certainly no lovers."

"The Hillliri don't like the Trillas. They barely tolerate my mixed blood. I keep my visits to Kalad brief and only when neccessary."

She turned back to look up at him.

"I saw Ergin's paintings of your mother and father. It took me a moment to connect them. Of course I know your mother, but I never really thought about it...I mean...that they were your parents. Quite a legend to be born into, really."

It was always strange for him to think of it too. There were stories and songs sung about his parents in many places, but to him they were just his mother and father. He knew them as two people who had fought hard to be together when the world seemed to want to keep them apart.

"Do you think of yourself as being more Trillas or more Hilliri?" she asked.

People didn't often ask Liran this question, probably because it might seem impertinent to ask, but he knew they wondered about it. He didn't mind answering, in any case.

"It's like being an acrobat, balancing on a high rope in the wind. Sometimes I know instinctively which side I feel most connected to, but for each issue that comes up in my life, I have to decide which side I stand on. In the same way, I'm balancing the concerns of both peoples in Castillon."

The Captain nodded. They walked along.

"My father used to say that managing the Empire was a great balancing act as well. He had to consider the whole and the benefit to all, and weigh it against the needs of each part. He said it gave him a lot of headaches."

This made Liran laugh a little. That was always the job of a ruler, and in some places it was especially hard.

The Captain turned to him held his gaze with her most serious expression.

"Why do you have to decide which group you agree with on each issue? Can't you just choose a way that's all your own?" she asked.

For some strange reason, it had never occurred to Liran to think this way. He stood still working over the thought while the sun rose.

"You mean, just my way?" He smiled.

She nodded.

It sounded so simple, but he knew why it had never been his pattern. People always seemed to need to know which group he leaned toward. He was letting them know each time he made a decision. If he wanted to think differently, he would also need to show others that whatever he chose, he wasn't taking sides. He thought of the words his father had once said to him long ago. You must show your worthiness for their respect at every turn.

The Captain had accomplished remarkable things for a woman from Estallium. Even now she challenged him to do the same. 

#

They discussed their plans again and ate a noon meal. It was time to leave. Elena had packed her bags and strapped them to the saddle. The guards were already mounted. The Prince was saying a last goodbye to Adina at the gate.

Elena went back inside for a moment to check that she had all of her belongings when Ergin gathered her into his arms and swept her around.

"If you should change your mind, the offer still stands. Lovely Elena." He whispered into her ear, making her laugh. For a moment, she felt free and light, almost believing that she could indeed be as beautiful as he said. She looked into his eyes; the corners crinkled around the edges were the only signs of his enduring lifespan.

"How do you do that? You make people see life differently."

He gave her one last lingering embrace, stirring once again something long forgotten within her. He gave her another brilliant smile and released her.

For a moment, Elena felt torn again. Did she want him? She had set herself a few simple rules to live by, and one of them was to avoid relationships with married men. It was something more enduring that pulled at her. She knew it now.

"You need to find it, whatever it is. I fear if you don't, the desire will destroy you. I beg you not to let that happen."

He loosened his hold and took her hand, kissed it gently, then gave her a sad glance that took Elena completely by surprise.

____________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Unsheathed. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.5K 441 18
After Klaus leaves Stefan to keep an eye on Elena, Damon and Bonnie come up with a plan to keep everyone including Elena safe. However it requires El...
464K 16.7K 44
"Tomorrow, we don't have to speak of this again." I hardly know what I'm asking. I just know I want whatever it is. He watches me with an intensity...
63.6K 4.4K 61
*Book 2 of the Destined Series* The clock is ticking for Ryleigh. Duty calls, and she knows she has to leave her mate and new-found friends to return...
7M 255K 52
Lila had a family. And for a while they were happy. Then on her eighteenth birthday, her Parents, brother, and his mate died in a tragic car accident...