Hidden Hearts

By 52Mila52

*This is a fan fiction based off of C. L. Stone's Ghost Bird series. Sang Sorenson is a very perceptive girl... More

Chapter 1. The beginning
Chapter 2. She who sees everything
Chapter 3. She who says it all
Chapter 4. She who hears everything
Chapter 5. Mr. Blackbourne
AN: Just a quick explanation...
Chapter 6. Gabriel
Chapter 7. Victor
Chapter 8. Kota
Chapter 9. And so it begins... or not?
Chapter 10. She who disappeared like a ghost
Chapter 11. Back to the beginning
Chapter 12. The half-naked girlfriend
Chapter 13. Dead meat
Chapter 14. Group hug!
Chapter 16. Storm
Chapter 17. Nathan
Chapter 18. Dogs and bitches
Chapter 19. Grumpy bear
Chapter 20. Dreams and wishes
Chapter 21. First day
Chapter 22. First day part II
Chapter 23. What one does for family
Chapter 24. Sleepover
Chapter 25. First kiss
Chapter 26. Dominatrix?
Chapter 27. Missions and Retribution
Chapter 28. Moving
Chapter 29. Toasts
Author's Note
Chapter 30. The Academy - Aware
Chapter 31. Academy - Present
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33. Fire
Chapter 34. Family
Chapter 35. Bonding
Chapter 36. Academy - Request
Chapter 37. Academy - Inside
Chapter 38. Stalker
Chapter 39. Laying down the law
Chapter 40. When truths come to light
Chapter 41. Shortie!!
Chapter 42. Girls
Chapter 43. Boot camp
Chapter 44. The end

Chapter 15. Silas

10K 413 97
By 52Mila52

"My poem was about hidden hearts being everywhere in the world, and a little girl who was the only one who could see them. Her parents thought she was crazy, and they locked her up in an asylum. She was released only when she promised never to talk about hidden hearts again."

......

Sitting at the table, enjoying her delicious lunch, Sang began to contemplate how her life was different now that she was free.

The most striking difference being that instead of being surrounded by girls, as she was in hell, here she was surrounded by boys.

And the sense of security it brought her was incredible.

Even the huge, dark, and gruff North Taylor made her feel safer.

Her thoughts were brought to a halt when Owen's quiet but commanding voice attracted her attention.

"Darling, I know that you've been through a lot but I'd like to know if you are still interested in joining the academy." He asked, having already finished his lunch. Looking around the table I see that all the guys have finished with their food already. Pushing my own plate away since I wasn't hungry anymore I turned my attention to him preparing my answer, but before I could answer, however, a very panicked looking Luke starts to protest. "What? She can't! We can't lose her now!"

Snapping my head in his direction I ask. "Lose me? What do you mean by lose me?"

Before Luke could answer Owen steals my attention again by saying. "You are a ghost Sang. There is no register of your existence at all. That makes you very valuable for the Academy. They would want you to join a team of their choosing."

I take a moment to think about process this. When I look back at the boys I see different emotions on their faces.

Luke looks scared and when he catches my eye he sends me a pleading glance, as if asking me not to leave him. North is scowling but his eyes show confusion and worry. Sean is smiling at me with a hopeful expression; his eyes shine in my direction promising happiness and caring.

Owen is the hardest one to read, his face completely expressionless, but she could see the emotions swirling in his steel grey eyes. He felt unsure. About what she didn't know, but something was bothering him.

"I've known for a long time that I was a ghost. It is something that I have used to my advantage before and I can see why the academy would be interested in recruiting a ghost member. What I don't understand is why they would want me to join a team that they choose. Family is a choice, one that I must do."

Not looking surprised at my revelation that I was aware of my ghost status Owen said, "It's true, family is a choice and the academy will not choose for you. But they will try to convince you by whatever means they can find. They will send their chosen members to befriend you, they will offer favors as bribes, and they will do whatever they can to have you join the academy under their terms."

Thinking about this for a moment I tell him. "No. I am done living my life by other people's terms. I am tired of having to adapt myself to the wishes of those who were supposed to protect me. If the academy wants a ghost in their ranks they better understand that I am joining in my terms."

The look of respect in guys faces made me feel like I was in the cloud nine.

"Wait, does it mean that, with her ghost status, she would be required to take on illegal and possibly dangerous missions?" North asks while glaring at Mr. Blackbourne.

"Not all of the missions will have the potential to be dangerous Mr. Taylor Jr. and we will never let her go alone. At least not if she is in our team."

"The academy would never allow for her to endanger herself, all her missions will be well planned and she will have full backing. They wouldn't risk losing their most important asset." Sean added.

"She is not an asset." Luke barked.

"You are an asset, every one of you. And like it or not, right now she's worth ten of you." Owen told them quite seriously while I blushed.

"So, you are planning on joining the academy?" North asked, turning to me.

Looking at him I answered sincerely. "I think I would like that. It was what I wanted as a child. But I am not sure that I can do that right now, these past six years... they were rough... I need some time to rest and recharge my batteries." I told them, hesitantly. It was all the truth, but not the whole one. Another reason for my hesitancy in joining was that once upon a time a wanted to join their team, and maybe I still wanted that. But the question is, do they all still want me? And now there is North too, apparently.

Looking back at Owen I see him studying me, with a calculating look in his eyes.

"How about if we do it like this: take all the time you need to decide. Settle your personal life first. You can join our team sometimes, in few of our missions, so that you can get a feel for what we usually do, and then you can make your decision." He said.

I thought about it. I would be working with them, like a team. Maybe if they liked the way I worked they'd let me stay with them. Luke seemed to want me to stay already, I just had to convince the others.

Giving Owen my best smile I told him "I am willing and I will obey, Mr. Blackbourne."

He gave me his millimeter smile and stood up to leave, dragging Sean along who was protesting quite vehemently that he wanted to spend more time with "his Pookie". Soon it was just me, Luke and North in the house.

"Well, what now Cupcake?" Luke asked me but before I could tell him something North butted in.

"I'm going over to Silas'." He said, putting his hands in his pockets. "You guys want to come too?" he asked

Cocking my head to the side in confusion I asked "Who is Silas?"

The two boys smirked at me.

"My friend. You will see." Said North before turning around and walking out of the house.

I looked at Luke asking if we should follow with my eyes. He looked at me and shrugged, as if saying he didn't care one way or another, but I could see a hopeful glint in his eyes. Whoever this Silas guy was, he wanted me to meet him.

I turned and walked out the door with him following behind.

Outside I could see a motorcycle parked on the front drive along with another car I had seen Luke driving early in the day. I had never been on one of those before.

"Is that yours" I asked North.

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and hummed a simple "Uh huh."

"Take her for a ride, North." Luke said. "I will take the car."

Snapping my eyes in North's direction I asked him hopefully "You'd let me?"

He looked uncomfortable, with his hand behind his neck, rubbing, but he nodded and said, "If you want..."

Of course I want! After six years I am finally able to live and enjoy life. I wanted to experience all life could offer and that included riding on a bike.

I didn't tell them that, thought. I didn't want them to pity me or feel like they had to entertain me. I just nodded and gave them my best smile.

North smiled then, just a little. It was so slight but it softened his whole face. The sight of his lips like that almost made my heart stop. This boy was actually very handsome when you weren't paying attention at how intimidating he also was.

Luke suddenly turned back to the house and said, "I will lock up and be right behind you guys." leaving me alone with North.

Suddenly feeling nervous I walked over to where he was now standing by his bike. When I reached him I saw he was eyeing me from head to toe. It was then that I remembered that I had been wearing the same clothes I had on yesterday when I left Doc's house. This meant she was standing in front of this hunk of a boy with black pajama pants that looked like leggings and a black shirt really tight to my body. Way to embarrass yourself, Sang. Walk around in pajamas...

"...your hair."

Snapping back to attention I blushed and said "What? Sorry, I didn't hear you."

He raised his eyebrow at me again. "You must be spending too much time with my brother if you are already daydreaming like him." He said with a slight smirk.

I smiled at him. Luke was a professional daydreamer.

"Come here and turn your back to me." He commanded.

I did as he said with curiosity. Like a shock to my system I felt his fingers in my hair, combing it back from my face to the back of my head. He gathered all my hair with his fingers, combing, and then I felt him doing what could only be a braid. He was braiding my hair...

"Are you braiding it? Why?" I asked him curiously. I didn't mind him messing with it. The sensation of his hands on my hair was actually pretty good, and somehow it felt caring too.

"The helmet and the wind will probably mess up all of your hair. I know how you girls are about your hair." He told me. I didn't really care about it but I enjoyed that he'd gone to the trouble of doing something just because he thought I would be bothered. Like I said, caring... this scary, handsome boy is a true teddy bear...

When he finished braiding it he tied the end with a rubber band he had around his wrist. Turning around to face him I smiled big and said a thank you. He just smiled at me and got on the bike, offering me his hand which I took as I slid into the seat behind him. I put on the helmet.

"Wrap your arms around my waist."

I did and blushed a little at the close contact, the feel of his hips between my legs, my front pressed to his back, and now my hands touching his abdomen. It was a very intimate position in my opinion, but it could be just because I wasn't used to physical contact. At least not of the good sort.

"Hang on." He said as he started the bike and turned in the lot. The vibration of the motor made my bones rattle but the feel of him so big, in front of me, gave me a sensation of security.

We drove for about half an hour before we pulled off the interstate and made a short drive into an apartment complex.

My heart was pounding as he parked and shut off the bike. I swung my leg around to get off, holding on to his arm as support. He got off the bike, putting the stand into place.

Turning to me he put his hands on his pockets and asked quietly. "You okay?"

"My legs are tingly." I told him.

He smirked, making my heart stop once more and then speed up. "Mine are too."

I smiled at him. The thought of this big, scary and handsome boy with tingly legs almost sent me into a fit of giggles.

Luke arrived and parked his car beside the bike.

"Well, let's go then people, the building won't stand there forever." He said, leading the way inside the building.

Rolling his eyes North started to follow him with me right behind.

When we got on the second floor Luke tugged me by the arm until I was standing in front of the door. He buzzed the doorbell and stepped back pulling North, who surprisingly obeyed without a word, with him against the wall.

When the door opened I was faced with a giant. He had deep, black hair and dark brown eyes, his jeans and Red Sox t-shirt showing his prominent muscles. This guy was raw power. I was frozen in place. He wasn't as scary as North, but he was bigger, and I didn't know him.

Looking confused, he asked "Do you have the wrong place?" his voice was deep and with a strange accent.

I was about to open my mouth to say something, anything really when a shower of confetti flew over our heads. "The Greek talks! Applaud people!" Luke exclaimed only to receive a slap in the back of his head along with a "What the hell, fucker?!" from his brother.

Turning back to Silas, who looked as confused as I felt I heard him ask "Is this an American thing?"

......

Opening the door to my apartment I expect to see my best friend' scowling face on the other side, but instead I am met with the face of an angel, she had a few scratches on her cheek but looked fine otherwise. She was tiny with a deliciously curvy body; her blonde hair was tied in a messy braid, her green eyes showing the signs of a hard and sad life. I instantly wanted to give her a big and comforting hug, but her slightly scared face stopped me. She doesn't know you yet Silas and you are a big guy, no reason to feel bad...

"Do you have the wrong place?" I asked, I was pretty sure she didn't live around here. I would remember her otherwise. Suddenly a shower of confetti flew over us and I heard Luke's voice exclaiming "The Greek talks! Applaud people!" followed by the sound of a slap and North's booming voice telling his brother off.

North... talking with his brother... Are pigs flying?

The shock almost froze me in place but then I saw the little angel shifting uncomfortably in front of me and decided to break the tension. "Is this an American thing?" I asked her.

She smiled up at me, her smile making the shadows in her eyes diminish. "I hope not, otherwise I am not sure what is supposed to be normal anymore." She told me.

Giving her a smile I turned to my friend and asked "ποια είναι αυτή? (Who is she?)"

Looking up from his brother, who he'd been scowling fiercely at, he focused on the angel and his face softened. Well, that might explain the talking incident...

"Το όνομά της είναι (Her name is Sang.)" he told me.

"Ναί? Δεν παραπονιέμαι, αλλά γιατί είναι αυτή στην πόρτα μου; (Yes? I'm not complaining, but why is she at my door?)" I questioned him.

Tilting his chin at her he said, "Why don't you ask her that?"

Turning back to the angle in front of me I open my mouth to ask her the question when she suddenly says. "I am here because North brought me. And it is rude to talk about other people behind their back like that."

I am shocked again. She knows how to speak Greek! And judging by the annoyed expression on her face she is obviously not impressed with me. This girl is different.

......

Watching Silas reaction to Sang was fun, but finding out that she can speak Greek and isn't very impressed with us at the moment was equal times impressive and problematic.

Impressive because there are not many people here in America who would bother to learn a language as difficult as Greek. Problematic because I fucked up again... will she get mad this time? If so, well, at least I don't be the only one in the doghouse...

Looking at Silas I see him watching Sang with renewed respect and interest. Not like he didn't look interested before, but now he was serious. I didn't mind. As long as I could still be close to her I didn't care if she ended up with Silas. He was my best friend and would take good care of her. I knew I didn't deserve such a good girl like Sang. I didn't have any chance with her really, not when I was competing with the whole Blackbourne team.

Having such a strong and beautiful person in my life was something that I wanted now. I had thought that I would be okay living alone, just me, my bike and my backpack, but one look at this beauty' eyes and I knew I would have her any way I could get her.

I need to get a grip, I've know this girl for less than a day... how can she affect me like this?

I knew how, she wore her heart on her sleeve, her feelings plain to see in her face. It was clear for anyone with eyes to see the kind of person she was. She was the sort to stand tall and strong against every difficulty, the sort who and fought for others, the sort to give warmth and love freely without asking for anything in exchange.

The sort of girl you come home to.

......

Watching the little angel... Aggele mou standing in front of me, looking ready to start lecturing me and North I am suddenly saved by an unlikely source.

"Silas..." Said the heavily accented voice of my older brother from behind me.

Turning around I faced Theo, using my body to block the door and the people beyond it from his sight.

He was my brother but I didn't thrust him. In appearance he looked almost like a skinner version of me, but when you looked into his eyes there was something dark and dangerous there. "What?"

"I need a light." He told me.

I took a lighter from my pocket and lit the flame, offering the lighter to him, Theo lit his cigarette.

"θα αφήσει τους φίλους σας να έρθουν ή θα μείνουν εκεί στην όρθια πόρτα? (You will let your friends come in or will stay there in the door standing?)" He asked.

"We were just leaving." I told him, grabbing the lighter and closing the door behind me without a good-bye.

Aggele mou looked up at me with confused eyes but didn't say anything. The silence stretched for a moment or two when Luke suddenly said in a cheery voice, "Let's go eat some ice cream!" and left skipping like a child in a sugar-high.

North scowled and went after him, me and Aggele following them both. His deep voice made his lecture resound through the halls "That's not healthy, god damn it! You eat far too much sugar Luke! That thing has no nutritious benefits."

"Sugar sweetens our life, baby bro!" he sang back.

"You don't need your life to be any sweeter Lucian Taylor!" he told him.

They kept up with their argument until we reached the ground floor. Looking outside we saw that it had finally started to rain again.

The car and the bike were protected from the elements by the overhang, talking among themselves they decided to take the car together and leave the bike behind. North grumbled a little about it but not even him wanted to get wet.

Walking over to the car I sat in the passenger seat, by insistence of Aggele mou that was worried about my comfort even while she was still annoyed at me. She and Luke sat in the back and North was the one driving. We headed out into the interstate and went in the direction of the mall.

We planned to walk around for a bit to show Aggele the stores before going for something to eat. Something not sweet according to North.

It was a good thing Theo had appeared after all, now he had an excuse to go out with Aggele and maybe get back in her good graces.

......

As soon as we got parked Silas jumped out of the car and opened the door for me. Blushing I thanked him.

The mall was huge, crowded, and completely overwhelming. The people were pushing each other, the scents were various and too strong to distinguish, the colors and lights from vitrines were distracting. I made a grab for the boys, I didn't want to get lost in this place. My hands ended clutching Silas' and North's hands as they were on either side of me, Luke right behind me, his palm in my back so I knew he was close by.

We walked for almost two hours, the boys shifting places for who held my hand. Once we'd checked every store on the mall we started to head back to the food court, my hand being held by Luke this time while North and Silas walked in front of us. On the way there however someone bumped hard into me, almost sending me to the floor. Luke's hand went around my waist and he pulled me back against his chest.

The guy who had bumped into me had dark hair and a goatee, he and his friends wore baggy clothes and low hanging pants. The scent of menthol cigarette smoke wafted over to me. Smelly...

"Hey!" Silas spun around, shoulders tense, his voice deeper. "Watch where you are going!" He growled at the guy. North at his side looked ready to do bodily damage but was restraining himself. Luke wasn't helping, choosing to stay quiet behind my back, looking over my shoulder at him I saw him scowling at the guy too.

Great... I rolled my eyes. I am surrounded by three overprotective bears...

But knowing that they cared and were trying to protect me was heartwarming; I could forgive their occasional rudeness and overbearing tendencies.

"Dude, she bumped into me." Smelly guy said, slurring his words.

"I saw you lean into her!" Silas barked, moving in front of me.

"Dude, fuck you. You don't know shit." Came the slurred reply.

Knowing that the situation was escalating quickly I put my hand on Silas back and told them to let it go.

The boys resisted at first but the sound of my stomach rumbling suddenly had them moving. I hadn't eaten much at the Taylor place and was feeling rather hungry.

We moved on to the food court, Silas and North walking in the back this time to keep me in their sights.

Once there we ordered our food and sat down to eat. The boys did some small talk, or rather, Luke interrogated them. It seemed that although they had known each other for a while the other two boys never spoke with Luke or the rest of the Blackbourne team. I wondered why but decided that it was a particular business and they could tell me if they wanted to.

Watching the people around me I started to take notice of what seemed to be normal behavior between friends, families and couples. The couple's part in special I was curious about.

Once we were all finished with our food Luke stood up with the excuse of going to the bathroom. His eyes held a spark of mischief thought.

North eyed his brother suspiciously and stood up to follow him, saying he was going to make sure Luke didn't make any detour to the ice cream place. Silas grabbed our trays and went in search of a place to throw trash, leaving me alone on our table.

Even among all the scents of food and people around me the reek of menthol cigarette still reached me a second before a body dropped on the chair beside me.

"Hey there, Princess." He said, making my skin crawl. Only one boy had ever called me princess and I didn't like this guy using it. "Your boyfriends left you?"

"The boys are close by and will be right back." I told him, hoping he'd get the message and go away.

Nodding he leaned into me, bringing his foul smell even closer to my poor, abused nose. "What is your name, sweetie?" he asked. Seriously, if this guy kept using the boys nicknames for her she'd have to hit him.

It was then that she looked down and saw the bulge under his shirt. The word "gun" blared in her mind, spiking fear in her veins. A bully she could handle, an armed thug was another matter altogether. Surely he wouldn't dare to pull a gun off in the middle of a crowded food court, right? Looking back at his eyes I saw that his pupils were dilated. He'd been slurring earlier, this guy was armed and high on only god knows what. He was completely unpredictable. Where were the boys?

"My name is Sang." I told him, standing up.

"Sang? That's just fucking weird. Do you sing?" he asked, standing with me.

I needed to get away from him, I needed to get him away from all these people. The two wishes seemed to war with each other but I knew what I needed to do. I started walking in the direction of the restrooms. It had been mostly empty earlier on and Luke and North were supposed to have gone that way.

As I got to the hallway that led to the restrooms I looked over my shoulder and saw him following me. I swallowed the bile that was trying to come up.

"Hey! I was talking with you! Why are you walking off?" he shouted, attracting the attention of the very few people in the long corridor.

I ignored him and kept walking, praying that something would happen, someone would stop him.

He leapt forward and closed the distance between us, his hand grabbing hold of my wrist, making me turn to face him. "When I talk with a bitch I expect her to answer me." He says, his grating voice making me shiver coldly.

"Let me go!" I exclaim loudly. There are still people around, enough to call for help, not enough for him to make a huge damage. Thought I will still feel bad if any of them gets hurt.

Suddenly a tanned arm sneaked around the guy's neck, chocking him. I didn't think twice, I reached over and pulled the gun out of his waistband before he could get to it and pulled back to watch as North dealt with the thug.

Two punches and he was out cold. North looked up from the prone figure to me, his expression going from murderous to worried in seconds. "Are you okay, Sang baby?" he asked me before he saw the gun in my hand. His eyes widened. "Where did you get that?" he asked perplexed.

"I took it from this guy when you grabbed him from behind." I told him. He paled and reached for the gun, taking it from my hands. Now that the crisis was over I had started trembling, all the adrenaline leaving my body and turning me into a puddle of shaking muss. Just then Luke and Silas came running into the hallway, the security who worked in the mall right on their heels.

Seeing my state Silas reached for me and pulled me into a big, warm, bear hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck and held on while he snaked an arm under my butt and raised me, pressing my body to his chest. I dropped my face into his shoulder, the warmth of his body enveloping mine easing my trembling. He was an amazing hugger.

......

Seeing Sang being accosted by that guy had sent North into a rage and he reacted without much thought. Thankfully she'd been smarter than him and grabbed that gun.

Now, watching her trembling in Silas' arms he had to restrain himself. It wasn't the time for shouting, it was the time to take care of her. Later he would shout and rage.

Pulling out his cellphone he called a number he'd never thought he'd call before.

He picked up on the first ring. "Mr. Taylor." Said Blackbourne's commanding voice from the other side of the line.

"Hey. Me and the guys are in the mall with Sang. There is been an incident. A guy was accosting her. He was armed but never pulled his gun out. Security is taking him in now. I thought you'd want to know immediately." I told him uncomfortably. I wasn't used to reporting to other people but Sang was clearly very important to him and he would move heaven and earth to ensure this incident wouldn't bring repercussions to her.

"Thank you for the warning Mr. Taylor. How is Miss Sang right now?" he asked, his voice completely emotionless, but North knew better.

"She will be okay. He didn't hurt her. Silas is hugging her now to see if she will calm down." I didn't need to add the last one but I felt like poking him a little.

The sound of a grunt came through the line and I smirked. Possessive much?

"Make sure she stays okay Mr. Taylor or we are going to need to talk." He hung up.

I turned back to guys. Sang was wrapped around Silas like a little koala bear and Luke was rubbing her back, cooing at her.

"Let's go." I told them.

Silas put her down and we all started walking, heading back to the car.

Going home.

AN: This update took longer to come out than I expected but I kept being interrupted by my friends from college. We are being drowned in homework and I don't have any free time! *cries*

Anyway I just wanted to say that I really love all your comments. If I could I would answer to them all, because I like to interact with you guys. But time is not something I have right now. Sorry for taking so long. Bye! :D  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 5.5K 16
**COMPLETED** Sang Sorenson is already a successful professional dancer at only 17 years old. Ever since her father died and left her alone with her...
162K 9.1K 22
Your prospects are limited when you don't exist, but Sang Sorenson has been getting by as a cashier in a grocery store after dropping out of high sch...
346K 20.8K 45
Two new obsessions have consumed the Blackbourne team: the beautiful new male student at Ashley Waters and the captivating feminine voice from the wo...
269K 14.5K 34
Sang Sorensen has not had an easy life. In her almost sixteen years on this earth, she has spent more days than not locked away in the dark. Her nigh...