Chasing the Moon (A Stiles St...

By _hogwartian_

Emma Brisbane has been an outcast at Beacon Hills High ever since the accident that took her mother and siste... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Growing Suspicion
Chapter 2 - The First Full Moon
Chapter 3 - Not Worth the Risk
Chapter 5 - Trust Me
Chapter 6 - You Again
Chapter 7 - Who You Think You Are
Chapter 8 - Hiding the Broken
Chapter 9 - Truth and Bullets Hurt
Chapter 10 - Sleepwalking
Chapter 11 - Control
Chapter 12 - An Anchor
Chapter 13 - Night School (part 1)
Chapter 14 - Night School (part 2)
Chapter 15 - Time to Tell
Chapter 16 - Heels Up
Chapter 17 - Breaking Chains
Chapter 18 - Between the Moon and the Stars
Chapter 19 - Caught in the Middle
Chapter 20 - Brother Wolf
Chapter 21 - Completely Normal
Chapter 22 - The Dance
Chapter 23 - The Final Truth
Chapter 24 - The New Alpha

Chapter 4 - Cover Up

37.5K 888 725
By _hogwartian_

A/N: Reminder that you can always find Emma's outfit by clicking the external link. :)

"Remind me again why we have to cook for her?" I whined.

I'd been chopping vegetables for the past fifteen minutes. My father had informed me at lunch that Melanie would be over for dinner and I was to help him prepare a meal. Well, I would have to prepare something. The only thing my father knows how to cook is toast.

"Because I'm the gentleman," he said. He wiped his hands on the 'Kiss the Chef' apron he decided to wear. "Now, uh, pass me that powdery stuff that makes your breath smell all bad."

I snickered. "You mean the garlic?" I asked, holding up the spice. I waved it in my hand, raising my eyebrows. 

"Yeah whatever it's called," he shrugged. I tossed him the bottle and he caught it with ease. He held a tablespoon over the mixing bowl and tried pouring the garlic onto it. I rolled my eyes and strolled over to him.

"Here," I took the garlic and the spoon from him. I scooped the measuring tool into the bottle, getting the perfect amount, and dumped it into the mix. "It's easier that way."

"Thanks," he said as I walked back to my cutting board. He stirred the contents of the bowl. "You have your mother's gift in the kitchen."

I stopped slicing the peppers and took in my father's words. The subject of my mother has been an avoided one in our house so it was strange that he brought it up. I was glad, though. At least he wasn't forgetting her.

"I know," I said, my voice nearly a whisper. I noticed him glance over to me, but I kept my eyes focused on the cutting board. He turned and grabbed the chicken from the microwave, where it had been thawing. I went back to cutting, but my thoughts where distracted by Dad's comment. "Ow, shit..."

I had sliced through the skin on my left hand between my thumb and index finger. My father turned back to see my deep gash, which was now leaking blood all over the counter. "Emma," He rushed to grab my hand but I threw a towel over it. I couldn't let him see what would actually happen. "We have to get you to the hospital."

"No, Dad, I'm fine really. It's just a little cut!" I exclaimed. The towel had collected a small amount of my blood by now. It hardly even stung. But he had already turned off the oven and grabbed his car keys.

"You're going to need stitches. I'm not going to let you go on with out getting that looked at." he stated. I know he's only trying to do what's best for me, but I don't need it. If only he knew that. 

I sighed and followed him to the car, where he opened my door for me. I kept the towel wrapped tightly around my hand. Dad thought I was stopping the blood flow. But, in reality, I'm hiding something.

"I better call Melanie," said Dad. He pulled his phone from his pocket and was already on the line with her by the time we pulled out of the driveway. "Hey, hun, yeah bad news. Emma cut her hand making dinner so I'm taking her in to get it looked at...Yeah, I know...Uh-huh...Look I'll call you when we get it figured out...Yep...Love you too."

While Dad was on the phone with her, I peaked under the towel. My cut was already looking better to the point where you'd think it had only been a scratch. How I'm going to explain that to my father and the doctor...I have no idea. 

"How are you doing?" he asked, glancing down to my hand. I quickly pressed the towel back down. I hoped he didn't see anything.

"I told you, I'm fine. We really don't need to go to the hospital. Besides, Melanie seemed a bit disappointed about dinner." I said, trying everything to get him to turn around.

"Melanie will be fine. I just want to get it looked at."

I huffed and pouted back into my seat. Should I tell him? Should I tell him what really happened that night? Why I'm even alive to be in this situation? I just don't know if he could handle the truth, or if he's even believe it. I could hardly accept it myself at first, but now it feels like casual conversation.

I chose to keep quiet, at least for now.

The ride to the hospital was short, thankfully. I followed my father inside to the Emergency room. It wasn't busy. I suppose people mostly stick to themselves in this town. 

"Hi, my daughter cut her hand open a few minutes ago and I think she needs stitches," Dad told to the nurse at the reception desk. She clicked a few times on her computer.

"Her name?"

"Emma Brisbane."

"Alright, we'll have someone with you shortly."

My father nodded at her and we found a pair of seats. He asked to see it. "I thought you didn't like blood," I said.

He rolled his eyes. "I was a boxer for 25 years, I can handle blood."

"Right," 

He motioned towards my hand but I held it closer to my chest. He sent me a look, but something else had already caught my attention. Two very suspicious boys appeared to be sneaking around the halls. I stood up.

"I'll be right back," I said to Dad.

"What? No, you're staying here!"

"Dad, look," I removed the towel from my hand and showed him my completely healed skin. "I'm fine, see? Now, just go home. I'll see you there."

"Emma,"

But I had already darted off. I felt bad, ditching him like that without as much as an explanation. But I had to see what these two idiots were doing here. I could just feel the fact that they were up to something. Something about werewolves.

 I crept around the corner in time to see them enter the elevator. "Hold the door!" I called, running towards them. They both looked up at me in confusion. The doors began to close, but Stiles pushed against them so I could enter. "Thanks," I said, out of breath.

"Um, not to be offensive or anything but...uh, what are you doing here?" asked Stiles. 

"I was just about to ask you the same thing." I said, folding my arms across my chest and cocking a brow. The two boys glanced at each other uncomfortably. "Now spill."

"We...uh...we're here to...to see Jackson!" said Stiles. I rolled my eyes.

"You have about three seconds to tell me why you're really here before I start screaming at the top of my lungs." I threatened. "One...two...thr - "

"We're here to see the body they found in the woods!" Scott admitted, glaring. "I smelled something on Derek's property and I want to see if it matches the body."

I smiled. "That wasn't so hard, now was it?"

"I thought you were the shy, quiet type..." muttered Stiles.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I prefer the term reserved."

"Right,"

What Scott had said finally settled with me. I was also appalled at how sassy I had been with Stiles. I almost felt...good. In some strange sense, of course.

"And why were you at Derek's?" I asked Scott.

That same moment the elevator doors opened and Scott was the first to exit. Once Stiles and I were off as well he turned to me. "Just don't worry about it, okay?"

I swallowed hard. Even though I was beyond suspicious, I agreed. I really didn't need to be pushing Scott's buttons at the moment. I need him just as much as he needs me. We have to work together if we're going to figure this out.

"Scott," said Stiles. He pointed to a sign on the wall that read Morgue

"You two stay here and keep watch, I'll be right back." said Scott. He peered around the abandoned hallway before sneaking into the room. Personally I was glad he was going in alone. Dead bodies give me the creeps. 

I joined Stiles on the bench against the wall. "So, why are you here?" he asked me.

I'd almost completely forgotten about my hand. It didn't hurt anymore. "Oh right, I cut myself making dinner so my dad brought me in. But I'm fine."

Stiles was analyzing my hands. "You have blood on your shirt, but not even a scratch,"

Oh no. This definitely did not look good on my part. I couldn't have anyone figuring out my little secret. Mostly because I don't even understand it yet myself. I know one thing and one thing only; it all leads back to that night.

I was about to stutter out a lie when I overheard a conversation. The two people then made themselves visible to Stiles and me. I was never happier to see Jackson and Lydia.

"Do you want to be a little high school amateur? Or do you want to go...pro?" asked Lydia, pulling him in for a seductive kiss.

Lydia stomped away from her boyfriend. "Hey, Lydia," said Stiles awkwardly as she walked by. She completely ignored his feeble attempts at conversation. She takes way too much for granted in my opinion. One day she will fall from her graces and have nothing left to show for her years in the light. She will be alone and struggling. And only one person will understand enough to actually care. Because I know what it's like to fall and have no one there to catch you.

Jackson shot Stiles and me a glare before stalking off after Lydia. I think Jackson is more alone than he realizes. I mean, he has friends and everything but that's all a show. He doesn't have anyone he can really talk to, that he can tell the truth to. I would feel bad for him but I'm in the same boat. Only difference is I don't even have a show to mask my loneliness. 

I snickered when I realized what the pamphlet was that Stiles was reading. If he really wanted to know about menstruation he could've just asked. 

Suddenly it was ripped from his hands as Scott appeared in front of us, causing Stiles to jump. "It's the same. The scent matches."

"Are you sure?" asked Stiles.

"Yes," answered Scott, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"So he did bury the other half of the body on his property," Stiles added with a sigh.

"Which means we have proof he killed the girl!"

Scott was almost too enthused about this revelation. It made me second guess his intentions. Derek had ordered him not to play tomorrow, but if Derek isn't in the picture Scott is free to do what he wants without threat. 

"I say we use it," said Stiles, standing up and beginning to walk off. I quickly followed.

"How?" Scott and I chorused. We glanced at each other for a moment before I looked to my feet.

"Tell me something first," said Stiles, pointing a finger. "Are you doing this to stop Derek or because he won't let you play in the game?"

Huh, turns out Stiles and I had the same suspicions. I guess it was somewhat obvious. Scott has been non-stop ranting about not being able to play. 

"There were bite marks on the body, Stiles." said Scott, grinding his own teeth. "Bite marks."

"Alrighty then, we're going to need a shovel."

"A shovel - ?"

But Stiles had ushered Scott and I out of the hospital without answering any of our questions. If his idea is at all relative to whatever we're actually going to do, it should make for an interesting night. Good or bad I do not know, but it should be interesting.

**

I found myself cramped in the back of Stiles's jeep. My long legs were not made for backseats and it should be law that no one above the height of 5'8" should have to sit there. It's like torture for my limbs, and I know that's illegal. 

Plus there were two shovels in the seat with me. Two shovels that would be used to dig up a dead body tonight. Well, half a dead body to be exact.

Of course I was opposed to this plan, but I didn't have much of a choice. Besides, Derek has to have been the one to kill the girl. He is a werewolf, after all. Then we would be putting him where he belongs. We'd be doing the 'right' thing. Yeah, that idea should be able to help me sleep tonight.

We'd been waiting amongst the trees for nearly an hour. "I thought you said he'd be leaving soon." I hissed at the boys in the front seat.

"Just be patient," said Scott, waving a hand. 

"Tell that to my chiropractor when he has to snap my legs back into a normal position." I muttered. At least they can feel below the waist. Wow, me with the sass tonight. It must have been the idea of dinner with Melanie that put me in such a cross mood.

I sat myself back into the seat and folded my arms. I spent the next few minutes staring at the back of Stiles' head, so many thoughts coursing through my mind. Lydia Martin already has everything, she doesn't need Stiles. And, more importantly, he doesn't need her. It's just not fair and it makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about it. But Lydia was also the only girl who always got higher marks than me in class. 

"Hey guys," said Stiles, smacking Scott's arm.

We both sat up and looked at where Stiles was pointing. Derek Hale was finally leaving. It was dark, so I could hardly see his face, but I still recognized him. I haven't seen him since the fire that took his family six years ago.

He got into his black Camaro - which is far sexier than even Stiles's jeep, I have to admit - and drove off. Once he was out of sight, Stiles pulled up closer to the house. I stopped breathing for a moment when I saw it. The last time I was here it was to have dinner with the Hale family since they were close with my mother. Now I stand before its charred remains to search for a dead body. 

Scott's nostrils flexed when he got a whiff of the air around him. He furrowed his eyebrows and paced the dirt. "Something's different,"

"Different how?" I asked, shining the light around the property. I volunteered myself for flashlight duty. There was no way in hell I was helping dig up that body. 

Scott let his new found sense of smell lead him to the scent. "I don't know," he said. He dug his shovel into the ground with force. "But let's get this over with."

My mother always used to tell me that the two hardest tests in life are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage to not be disappointed with what we encounter. I credit my mother for teaching me that patience is a virtue and all that. I just find it a hard concept to follow. 

Like now, for example. I've been shining a flashlight on a growing pile of dirt for over the past half hour while two idiot boys dig a hole into the ground. My 'patience' began to thin about 25 minutes ago. I let out a heavy sigh as another scoop of dirt was placed in front of me. Such an ideal Friday night.

"Are you getting any closer?" I whined. 

"She's right, dude," panted Scott, hefting up yet another scoop of the ground. "This is taking way too long. Derek's probably coming back soon."

"Just keep going," grunted Stiles. A bead of sweat trickled down his forehead. He probably wasn't used to this much physical activity considering he only sits the bench at lacrosse. Okay, that was harsh...it's the impatience talking.

"And what if he does come back?" I asked, trying not to scowl.

"I have a plan for that." he stated, continuing his journey deeper and deeper into the earth of the private property we were trespassing on.

"Which is?" asked Scott.

Stiles finally stilled his shovel and looked at the both of us. "You run one way, and Emma and I run another. Whoever he catches first, too bad."

"That sounds like the worst plan of escape ever." I said. Scott nodded in agreement, adding more dirt to the pile.

Stiles simply shrugged and went back to digging. I threw my head back and held in a groan. We were definitely dead if Derek did show up. And by 'we' I mean me and Stiles. Unfortunately neither of us have supernatural werewolf abilities that allow us to outrun even the fastest of predators. And my days of junior high track only resulted in low self-esteem and about 300 eighth place ribbons, for the races with only nine people.

Not even a minute later Stiles spoke with excitement. "I think I got something!"

He and Scott got on their knees and began scooping away dirt with their hands. I peaked into the hole just as they uncovered what looked like an old ruck sack tied up in rope. I hopped in with them and held the flashlight in my mouth as I help untie knots. 

"Hurry," whispered Scott with an urgent tone. 

"I'm trying but did he have to tie it in nine-thousand knots?" complained Stiles, fiddling with the twine.

The boys struggled with the rope but it was far easier for me, considering I have the longest fingernails. I got the last knot undone and the boys immediately removed the sack along with some excess dirt. I expected to see the upper half of a young woman, but the sight before me caused all three of us to jump out of the hole, startled. 

Lying about three and a half feet below us was instead half of a wolf. 

"What the hell is that?" exclaimed Stiles.

It wasn't until I felt movement underneath my hand that I realized I had grabbed Stiles' during our fright. We caught each other's eye for a moment and looked away. I cursed the blush that had crept onto my cheeks.  I suddenly couldn't decide if his question was directed at the fact that I had gripped his hand in fear or the chopped up wolf. My blood froze in embarrassment.

"It's a wolf," said Scott, his voice hushed. He was even more confused than I.

Stiles rolled his eyes. "Yeah, we can see that. I thought you smelled blood, as in human blood?"

"I told you something was different,"

"Okay, why the hell does Derek have a wolf buried in his front yard? It doesn't make any sense," I added. I glanced back down to the wolf head, chills running up my spine.

"We should get out of here," suggested Scott. 

"Yeah," I agreed.

"Here, help me cover this up." said Stiles, reaching for the shovels. Then he froze. I finally saw what he was looking at on the other side of the hole. 

A bright purple flower was poking out of the ground. I got up and made my way over to it. I'd only seen this once before in my life, in person anyways. The Hale's had given my mother a sample for her research.

"What?" asked Scott. "What's wrong?"

I glanced over to him, my expression serious. "Scott, this is wolfsbane."

"What the hell is that?" he asked, his confusion growing. My jaw dropped.

"You're a wolf and you seriously don't know what wolfsbane is?" Stiles said, annoyed by his friend's lack of werewolf knowledge.

"Am I supposed to?"

I rolled my eyes and Stiles came over to the flower as well. He pulled it from the ground and I was just about to protest when we realized that there was a rope attached to the root of the flower. Stiles and I exchanged concerned glances before he followed the rope. It circled around the grave, eventually creating a spiral pattern. Suddenly, the grass glowed purple where the rope had been.

Even I didn't know what was going on. I'd never heard or seen anything like this before. It was almost unreal.

"Um, guys..." started Scott. He glanced from the hole to Stiles and I.

I shined the flashlight back into the grave and gasped at what I saw. There was the other half of the girl we had expected to see originally. I only had one theory for this.

"She was a werewolf," I told them. Their faces showed that they still didn't quite understand. "The wolfsbane, it can force a werewolf into it's wolf form. Derek must've used it to hide the body from the police."

"How come I'm still human then?" asked Scott.

"Don't go near it," I warned. "Now, you've got your body. Let's get out of here."

"Wait," said Stiles. "Let me call my dad, let him know what we've just busted Derek Hale for murder."

 ---------------------------

Thanks so much for reading!

Hmmm...what do you think Emma is hiding? Let me know your theories in the comments!

And this is a little off topic but has anyone else seen The High Road with Dylan O'Brien? I watched it the other day and honestly the only things I liked about it was Dylan and the sassy hooker. But you should still watch it, it's...interesting.

Thanks again and don't forget to comment, vote, and fan!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

-Alyssa

Edited 12/30/13

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

157K 4K 42
RANKINGS: #55 - star 6/10/2019 #8 - poedameron 6/10/2019 #11 - poe 6/10/2019 "I felt anchored to him. I clung to him. I needed him. I could not funct...
334K 8.9K 33
*UNDER MAJOR EDITING* #54 under Star Wars After taking a trip to Tatooine in order to find his mother, Anakin Skywalker and Jedi Master Obi-Wan Keno...
875K 40.6K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
1M 23.1K 50
❝ Come on skinny love what happened here ❞ There's only a couple of things Savannah Knight, new girl in town is sure of. One, that she came to this t...