Trust Falls

By Autumnlily36

What would you do if the neighbor's son, all grown up and just as frustrating, came back for the summer and w... More

Dedication
The Arrival
Thank You
Worth Something
We All Meet Over Food
A Friend In Need
Don't Forget Me
Once
The Rhino's Beeswax
Popsicles and the Meaning of Chocolate Fudge
Keep The Window Closed
Loser, Take A Snowball
All the World's A Blur
Meet Me At The Bleachers
I Don't Believe In Superstition
Don't Say It If You Don't Mean It
If I Had Known
This One Is Gonna Hurt
All the Silent Things: Zamian (NOT AN UPDATE)
Hate And Humiliation Begin With the Same Letter
A Story Of Betrayal
Save the Queen...And Maybe Me Too
The One I Hate
Two Sides to Every Story
When the Curtain Falls, Rise
*****
A/N: And I'll leave you with this...

Nothing Revolutionary

131 17 90
By Autumnlily36

"Aw poo!" I shot up and looked around. I was in bed, my covers tangled around my legs. Guess I actually did come home...

"Iqra?" Adam waddled his way into my room, peeking at me from behind the door. "You're awake?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Mummy wants you to come and help her fold the clothes."

I groaned. "Fine. I'm coming."

Adam grinned at me and walked away. I sighed as I pushed aside the covers and got up off the bed. My leg got tangled in my pajamas and I fell down. Ugh. Why my life. I sat there for a while, thinking about my cramps. They were gone, at least. For now. I rolled over. When did I become like this. A lazy bum.

I stood up and threw my blankets to the side before going to see what mom wanted.

***********

"Mom."

"Mom."

"Mom?"

"Hmm?"

"Mum?"

"Mommy?"

"Mummy!"

"What, Iqra?"

I pushed aside the clothes I was folding and rested my head on the bed.

"Mum...did you know time travels faster in space than on Earth?"

Mom stared at me.

"Did you know there's a company going to send people to Mars?"

I stretched and rolled over on the floor. Mom stopped what she was doing and sighed. "Why are you asking me this now, Iqra?"

"Because..." I blinked. "I wanna go to Mars."

"I'm sure you'll go to Mars when you're older, honey."

My eyes widened. "Eh? Mom, you're not listening. I don't wanna go later. I wanna go now. I wanna be the first person to step foot on there, like...like...'This is the first step for mankind!'"

She chuckled. "You have the quote wrong, honey. And you're not going to Mars. You won't come back. And I'm not going to lose my children on a different planet." She raised an eyebrow at me. "Go to your room, if you really want to go to a different planet. That place is a mess."

I pouted. "Mummy. I feel bad."
"Why?"

"Because." My face smooshed against the floor. "I hash crampsh toshay."

"Iqra, get up. That's not good for you."

The doorbell rang. I dragged myself up. "I'mma go get it."

"Thank you."

I walked across the living room and opened the door.

Zeenath waved at me. "Yo. Assalam Alaikum."

I made a face. "Walaikum Assalam. You really shouldn't say yo. It's weird."

She shrugged as she walked inside, flipping her straight, black hair. I stared at it with mild envy. Luckie Duckie."I'm just unique. Don't hate." She stuck her tongue out at me.

"I ain't hatin'... Why are you here?"

I followed her inside to the couch, yelling up the stairs to my mom that Zeenath was here.

She set a plate on the table and plopped down on the couch. I followed suit.

"I'm just here because my mother sent food over." She turned to me. "What're you up to?"

I waved my legs. "Not much..." I turned to the food. "What's innit?" I grinned.

"Find out later. When you eat dinner. It's dessert."

"What kind of dessert?"

"Does it matter? It's dessert."

I thought about it. "Nah. Not really. It's sweet either way, right?"

Zeenath grinned. "We're related for a reason."

I laughed.

      My mom came downstairs along with everyone else, who said their hellos before going back to what they were doing. I fidgeted as I stood beside Zeenath, waiting to grab her away. She was talking to Fatima and my mom about the weather. Good lord. People these days. I slipped my hand in hers, tugging lightly. She glanced at me before turning back to my mom. I tugged again and she gave it a little squeeze.

I sighed and waited.

"Mom, can she stay for dinner?"

Mom looked at Zeenath. "That's right. Stay, Zeenath. We haven't seen you in so long."

I gave myself a mental highfive before waiting for Zeenath to eventually agree.

It took a few minutes, but no one goes against my mother's wishes.

Or mine.

"Okay, dinner'll be ready in half an hour." Mom turned around and I jumped, grabbing Zeenath's hand.

"Okay. Let's go!"

I dragged her up the stairs to my room as she yelped and tried to keep up.

I shut the door and let go of her hand, flopping on my bed as I kicked the covers aside to make room for her. She looked around, eyes wide.

"Holy...Iqra, this place is a mess!"
I nodded. "Yep. It's great."

She bit her lip, smiling as she reached down to pick my clothes up.

"Aye! Don't do that!" I shot up and tried to stop her.

"Fine. You pick them up then."

"Fine, meanie." I sighed and got to work as she sat on my bed. "Only you could come here and tell me to clean up."

She grinned. "I know."

"Friggin'...whatever, Zeenath."

I cleaned up, shoving my clothes back into my closet and doing a full sweep of my dresser, dropping everything into the drawers and shutting them. With difficulty.

Finally, I turned to her. "Better?"

She jerked her head towards the bed.

I frowned. "It's almost night time now anyways. I'll be going to sleep. I don't have to make my bed."

Zeenath raised an eyebrow.

I crossed my arms.

She sighed. "Fine. Don't do the sheets." She turned over and laid down on the bed.

"So. What's up?"

"Mmm." I sighed. "Not much. After the graduation fiasco...I..uh..haven't done anything." I frowned. "Nothing revolutionary, at least."

Zeenath giggled. "Are you sure? How're you spending your summer holidays?"

I shrugged. "Eh...I'm helping out at the community center, I guess."

"Doing what?"

"Helping with the play going on there." I shot up. I didn't remember much from today, but I remembered one thing. "Hey, do you happen to know anyone who can paint a set for us? We need set builders and...and..." I thought about it. "painters, was it? I dunno, but we need people." I turned to her. "...Can you come, Zeenath?" I covered my face and peeked out at her from under my blankets. "Please?"

She smiled and rolled over towards me. It's funny how I forget she's almost twenty-three. But it's always been easier to be myself around her.

"I suck at drawing, you know that."

I pouted. "Please? Just come anyway. Keep me company."

"You'll be busy with your own friends."

"I don't have any friends." I pouted again. "Fine. I have a few. But please! Zeenath, come to the community center..." I rested my head against her shoulder under the covers and she yelped, falling off the bed.

I laughed. "Sorry."

She rubbed her head as she sat up, looking at me from the floor. "Fine. I know some people who can draw..." She smiled slightly and continued. "I'm sure I can talk them into coming over."

"Is it your boyfr--"

She jumped back on the bed and smacked my shoulder. "Shut up, Iqra. Or I'm not helping."

"No no, fine. I'll shut up. If you come."

She nodded. "Yeah, I'll come."

I grinned. "Great."

********************************************

Happy Tuesday! :) See you Friday! I hope you enjoyed the chapter. It's crazy when you write a scene between two lead characters from two different books...

I'd love to know what you think! Please consider voting or commenting to let me know what you think! I'd love to hear it! 

~October

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Pendulum By kainat

Teen Fiction

7K 967 24
Hayat Amanullah was always the pampered child in her household. With loving, hardworking parents and two older brothers who were more like best frien...
12.6K 681 33
Story of a 14 year old Noor who gets married to the son of a rich family named Saad Shah who is also 14 Their journey begins as Noor has to adjust...
38.2K 1.5K 37
The Ahmed Trilogy Book One Can be read as a stand-alone .•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•. Zayn feels lost, devoid of his...
159 7 7
"I never imagined that I would find myself entangled in a web of emotions with a man whom I had vowed to misguide and tempt with the allure of my bod...