The Billionare's Challenge

By sugarpuppies

Kate was a decent and lovely girl until she had harsh experience during college. After graduating, she decide... More

Prologue
Graduation
The CEO
New York
First Day
Hangover
Happy Monday
The Challenge
First Move
Chit Chat
Preparations
Fashion Show
Friends? Or Not?
The Plan
Childhood Friend
Post Birthday
The Collins
The Ex
The Dinner
The Past
Horses and Chickens
Business Trip
Help Me, My Friend
Benefit Ball
The Wedding
Ferris Wheel
Mmmm.
Leaving and Coming Back
The Test
Hello, Kate
Knight In Shining Armour
Dinner Date
Tainted Memory
The Aftermath
Epilogue
A/N

Birthday

17.1K 524 47
By sugarpuppies

I woke up to my alarm. It's my birthday. I'm already 25. Oh my gosh. I'm already 25. I checked my clock and it's just 7am and I remembered Marc's going to meet me before 9am. I took a shower and changed into my favorite black V-neck shirt and shorts. I looked at the mirror and looked at myself. I look pale. God, I really look pale. I added powder to my face. I combed my hair and put on perfume.

As expected, the doorbell rang. I opened to see Marc wearing his signature outfit. White shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

"Happy birthday, Kate." Oh so he knew. I blushed.

"Thanks. Come in."

"Uh..no thanks. Come with me." I looked at him with confusion.

"Hey!" He grabbed my hand and dragge led me to his car.

"Where are we going?" I asked and tried to escape from his grip.

"Get in." He ordered.

"No!" I shouted.

"Get in or I will deposit you." He said arrogantly.

"No! I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"One..."

"No!"

"Two..." Ugghh...I have no choice but to get in the car.

I looked out the window the whole drive. I looked at my watch and it's nearly 9am. I decided to call Jason and cancel our reunion.

"Kate, are you ready? I'm gonna pick you up now."

"Uh...Jason I'm sorry but I have to cancel it. I know it's last minute but there's somewhere I need to go." And then I saw Marc grinned. That bastard.

"Oh..it's ok. I understand. There's still a next time. Well see yah around then. Oh and happy birthday Lollipop." He remembers!

"Thanks!"

I ended the call and looked at Marc. He looked annoyed.

"Lollipop...huh." He said. Oh so that's why.

"It's none of your business. Where are we going anyway?" I asked irritatedly.

"It's a surprise." He grinned.

After several minutes, the car stopped. I got out and looked around.

"Woah...where are we?" The place is beautiful. The trees, the view is wonderful.

"Surprise! This is Central Park."

"What are we doing here?"

"Well, I'm giving you a tour around New York. I guessed you haven't been around, huh?" I was speechless. I wasn't really able to go around New York since I started working.

I walked around and admired the view. I felt Marc beside me and it made me feel weird. I felt like there was a magnetic force pulling us together.

"Kate, I want to show you something. Come." He didn't wait for my response and gently grabbed my hand.

We walked to a large lake. It's very beautiful. There were swans and water lilies. Oh and fishes too.

"Wow...it's beautiful, Marc." I told him, still admiring the view. He said nothing and handed me flowers. Specifically magnolias. I really love them. They have a sweet smell.

"Thank you. How did you know I like magnolias?" I asked while smelling them.

"I don't know..but I also like them. I like white ones. Mother usually buys pink ones. She buys them and puts them at home."

"Oh...I like white ones too. Thank you, Marc." I smiled and blushed.

"Come on, I know you haven't eaten." I was about to reply but my stomach growled. I blushed in embarrassment.

Marc chuckled and said,"Looks like you're hungry. Let's go get something to eat."

We ate burgers and fries. It was so delicious. Damn! Marc has to see me eat like a monster. I was so hungry and the food was so delicious that my manners disappeared. Marc chuckled before taking a bite.

"You really are hungry. I like to see you eat like that." He chuckled again.

"Fuck you." I snapped before eating again.

As soon as we're done, Marc dragged me to another place again. This time it was an art museum. I didn't know he was a fan of classic arts. We spent an hour admiring paintings and sculptures.

"So...ready to go on an adventure?" Marc asked.

"Sure..." I felt happy the whole time. I didn't know Marc has a sweet side. He actually made my day.

We stopped by a steak house before heading to Brooklyn Bridge. It was already late afternoon when we got there. I loved the view. The bridge was long and we could see the river. We stayed there for a while to wait for the sunset.

"Kate..." I turned around to see Marc holding a food bag. He probably bought it while I was admiring the view.

"What's this?" I slowly opened the bag and took out what's inside.

"Hotdog." He finally said.

"Seriously?" I said while opening the plastic.

"Yeah..you should taste New York's hotdog. Come on, eat it." He said.

I did what I was told. Damn..it's so good. Marc's right. Man...I want another one.

"Here." He said while handing me another hotdog. "I know you want another. Your eyes and mouth tell."

"Thanks." That was the last word before I shoved the hotdog in my mouth.

We watched the sunset by the bridge. It was beautiful. I never imagined I would be watching the sunset with Mr. Arrogant. He didn't try to make me angry. I was actually glad. I haven't felt like this for a long time. I felt Marc's hand touching mine after a few seconds. I didn't hesitate. I was the one who held his hand. I was grateful to have him by my side today. It was my special day and no one except my brother celebrates it with me but I'm kinda sad he wasn't here.

"Kate.." I heard Marc whisper.

"Hmm?" It was the only word I said. I was so happy that it made me speechless.

"Did you enjoy today?" He asked nervously. Wait nervously? Woah..Mr. Arrogant's nervous? Well that's a first.

"Yes, I did. Thank you." I said truthfully. And then I heard him sigh with relief so I giggled.

"I'm glad you did. Come. Let's eat dinner." He held my hand tightly and led me to his car. We arrived at Per Se around 6:50. I didn't know Marc already made a reservation here.

"Mr. Collins, right this way, please." A woman older than me said. She led us to a table that's only good for two and it was very quiet. Like there's nobody that could interrupt us. Marc pulled out my chair and made me sit. After that he did the same for himself.

"So...what would you like?" He asked, looking at the menu.

"Anything that would satisfy my stomach." He smirked and chuckled at my reply.

"We'll have Libert Farms Pekin Duck Rillettes." He said. I don't know what that is but it sure sounds good.

"What would you like to drink?" The woman asked while she flashes her eyelashes at Marc. He just smirked and looked at me. I think he's asking what I want. I just shrugged.

"Red wine, please." He waited for the woman to go away and said, "Kate, I'm sorry I made you cancel your appointment today with Jason. I'm sorry I'm such an asshole. I'm sorry I annoyed you. I'm sor-" I've had enough of this.

"Quit with the sorry, Marc. Enough." I said irritatedly.

"Sorry..." He whispered.

"Ok..what is your point?"

"Well, I took you out because I want to make it up to you. And this might help me get to know you better. You know, like friends do." He said, smiling sincerely at me.

"Oh...well looks like you made it up to me already. I had fun today." I smiled and recalled what we did today but then it was replaced by a frown.

"Hey..why the sad face?" He asked, touching my hand.

"It's just that I've never celebrated my birthday like this. I usually celebrate it with my brother, my best friend and my ex. They just tried to cheer me up." He actually looked annoyed when I said 'ex'.

"Why? Aren't you happy?"

"I am happy but there's always something missing. My parents." My eyes were starting to get teary. Marc rubbed my hand and said,"Hey..it's alright. I'm here. It's ok if you don't want to tell me. I know something's bothering you from the past. Don't worry, I'm always here to help you."

"Thanks Marc." That's the last thing I said before I wiped my eyes and before our food and wine came.

We ate and talked about ourselves. I learned that Marc's afraid of spiders. I even told him I'm scared of insects. Seriously. I hated them.

"Ok, can I ask you something?" He asked shyly and unsurely.

"What is it?"

"The guy you were hugging with at the fashion show, was that your ex?"

"No! No! He's not! He's my older brother! Oh my gosh...I won't even let him touch me or get near me."

"Oh..."

"Wait..are you jealous?" I asked, laughing.

"No. I'm not." He said.

"You're lying." I said grinning at him.

"No, I'm not jealous. Ok? Drop it."

"Ok..." I stuttered in the middle of my laugh. "Ok..who was your first love?"

"None." He said straightly. Woah...how is that even possible?

"What?" I asked.

"None. I don't do love."

"Seriously?!?! None?!? Well, that explains why you break girls' hearts." He just smirked at me.

"My turn." He smiled evilly at me. "Same question." I stared at him. I was shocked he asked that. I never wanted to go back to the past. I don't want to talk about him.

"I..uh...I don't want to talk about it now. I'm not really in the mood to talk about it." I looked down and said.

He just nodded and asked me to dance with him.

"I don't know how." I lied.

"Come on, I'll guide you. Empty your head. Just look at my eyes."

He holds my hand and grabs my waist. I gasped in shock and he chuckled. He started swaying me. Gosh. He's a good dancer. We danced until our faces were only inches apart. I could smell his minty breath already. Ohmygosh...his facial features are perfect. His jawline, his cheekbones, his lips, man, his eyes. His eyes were gray. Then it turned dark violet? His eyes were beautiful. How is that even possible?

He leaned in and kissed me. This is the second time he has kissed me. Damn he's a good kisser. His hand caressed my cheek while his other hand was wrapped around my waist tight. Not thinking properly, I wrapped my arms around his neck. My heart was beating so fast. I bet Marc could hear it.

We pulled away to catch our breaths. I was about to laugh when the waitress came. I pursed my lips, not wanting to laugh. We waited for the waitress to leave before laughing out loud.

"That was fun. You're a good kisser, Ms. Jones." I felt my cheeks heat up. Damn him! Why did I even let him kiss me?!?!?

"I wasn't myself. I drank too much wine." I huffed and walked away.

"Come on, Kate. I'm joking. Let's get you home."

He drove me to my apartment after buying me ice cream. I made him buy ice cream because it's my birthday. We arrived at my apartment a few minutes later. I got out of the car and Marc got out too.

"Kate..." He grabbed my hand gently.

"Marc, thank you for today. It's really thoughtful of you."

"I wanted to give you something." He fished out a small rectangular box from his pocket. He opened it and inside it was a bracelet. It's not just a bracelet, it's a Cartier bracelet!

"Kate, I want you to wear it every time. That symbolizes our friendship." He said while putting it around my wrist.

"Marc, you shouldn't do this. Spending the day around New York is enough. I'm happy. You didn't have to buy an expensive bracelet for me."

"I want to. Please, accept it. I want to make you happy. I don't know your past but I think it's horrible. Just please, give me a chance to make you happy. Live again." My eyes are starting to get blurry. Tears are already forming. I'm really touched by what he said. And...tears were already flowing down my cheeks.

"Hey..don't cry. I'm here. I won't let anything hurt you." He said while wiping the tears and caressing my cheek. I didn't say anything but he pulled me into a tight hug, comforting me.

We pulled away after a few seconds. "Thank you, Marc." Was all I said before entering my apartment.

Marc's POV

My heart ached when I recalled our conversations urging dinner. She was hurt when I wanted to ask the same question. Pain was written all over her face. Her first love hurt her. I can't even believe why that guy broke her heart.

Kate's bright, funny, and decent. She cares about the employees in the company. Hell, she treats Stella as her own sister. She's beautiful in her own way. Man, I envy her. She could be a man's dream girl.

I promised I won't hurt her and I won't let anything hurt her. I will make her happy every time. I'll wipe her tears away and I'll be the one who'll heal her heart.

Kate's POV

I quickly took a shower after settling down my purse. Ok not only shower. I took a really long bath after a tiring day. I didn't expect to celebrate my birthday like this. I really did enjoy my day with Marc. I seriously kept noticing him staring at me when I'm not looking. I don't know whether to be annoyed or flattered. He's really nice to me today. It felt magical.

I dried my hair and looked into the mirror. And then I touched my lips, remembering our kiss. Why didn't I pull away? Why does my heart beat so fast when I'm alone with him? It's because you like him. My conscience said.

No..no..I don't like him. I can't. I don't want to love again.

But you liked it when he kissed you. Ugh..my conscience keeps snapping at me. What's happening to me? I can't let my heart be broken again.

I decided to leave those thoughts away so I opened my laptop and checked my Facebook. Gosh lots of people greeted me. I even got a message from Josh and Zara.

Josh: Happy happy birthday lil sis!!! I'm sorry I can't be there with you but don't worry, I'll make it up to you. You're 25 and still have a long way. Thanks for being the best sister. Remember I'll always be there for you, not physically but emotionally. I love you, Kate.

I cried at his message. I always knew he would be here for me. God I missed him. I stopped crying and opened my chat with Zara.

Zara: HEY!!!!!! Happy birthday Kate!!!!!! You're 25 and still single....hahaha jk... I just want you to be happy. Enjoy your day! Hope to see you again some time. Happy birthday again!!! Love you, girl. 😘

Me: thank you Zara...really you have to say that I'm still single after college....well anyway...love you too...❤️

My eyes began to fall and I'm tired. I turned off my laptop and snuck myself into bed.

Troy's POV

Argh! Why did I even let go of Kate? Because you're an idiot. You didn't think of another way to save your family's company instead you just agreed to that idiotic deal with Isabel. My conscience snapped.

Fuck this.

I saw Kate and Marc having fun in Central Park when I passed there. Kate was so happy. She seemed to be happy with Marc. No! I can't let that happen! She's mine and I'm supposed to be the one making her happy.

I should think of a plan to be with her. I should be the one who takes her on trips like that. I should be the one she should be with and not with Marc. Heck! I'm her first love! I shall make her fall in love again with me. Make me her first love again and make her mine forever.

I will get Kate back! Nobody takes what's mine. Not even Marc. Or anybody.

Kate is mine. Only mine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 619 17
"You know it too Kitten... You want me just like I do, there is something between us that you can't resist. You can't help but close your eyes every...
589 19 9
𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐈 everyone knows who she is. Worldwide model, covered in many vogue magazines, walked catwalks, and runaway. But people don...
517K 16.7K 54
Fire and Water. That's what they were. Together they were just whispers of what could have happened and what could have been. Running from a tragic p...
614K 25.4K 49
When Kate returns home to boarding school, she must fend off her ex-boyfriend who is now dating her sister and her childhood bully desperate to learn...