A Love Unveiled

By inkzerospace

To many he is known as Fallon 'The Fury' for he is relentless and formidable, known for his prowess in battle... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty

84.5K 3.3K 355
By inkzerospace

            Alana felt as if she had been doused in cold water. Every exhilarating emotion that had flowed through her body a moment ago had all but dissolved like mist.

            She stared questionably at Fallon whose body was as rigid as stone. He appeared angry and avoided her all together. He mumbled something to the man on the other side and than slowly closed the door.

            Feeling quite the fool, Alana turned away the moment their eyes would have connected. How should she feel? She wondered confusingly. Should she be angry or relieved? She realized she had no right to be angry. She would have given herself freely to this Norman if not for the sudden circumstances. She decided that it was in her best interest. She had vowed that she would not submit to his advances and just like that, she had nearly crumbled under her defenses. Was she that naïve to his desires?

             She felt his eyes upon her but what was there to say?

            “Alana-“

            Despite her best efforts to forget the passions sparked between them, she couldn’t help but feel slightly hurt. She turned around and met those amber eyes. Lifting her chin, she asked with an unfeeling tone, “Is there ought I to can do for you, milord?”

            Her impassive manner did not go unaware and his demeanor quickly hardened. He sensed the change in her and was displeased but Alana no longer cared. She had forgotten her most essential priority; escaping Linden, and now that Fallon had a distraction, escape would seem achievable.

            “Nay.” He replied darkly, studying her intensely with his gold eyes.

            She nodded curtly and left the room.

            Fallon stalked angrily to the great hall, his mood black as he stormed through the corridors. The image of Alana in his arms stilled burned heavily in his mind as well as her blank expression when she had left the chamber.

            He had struggled to lower what defenses he had and in a split second, her barriers were replaced, blocking him entry.

            He was in a foul mood and had little intention of making his betroth comfortable. The woman had no right showing up unintended without his knowledge. He could wring the McLeod’s neck with his hands for this interference!

            When he reached the great hall, he shoved the doors wide enough to crash loudly against the opposing walls, startling the woman standing amidst the dais. Seeing the McLeod woman standing so formally within his hall irked his nerves and she was not alone.

            His anger growing, Fallon surveyed the number of men aligned along the wall, taking note that all were armed and equipped in battle armor.

            Raising a golden brow, he cast a dark glare on his betroth. “Is there a reason these men have come armed, milady?”

            The small woman stepped forward, her dark eyes doing a slow leisure of his frame as she came to stand before him. “These are my father’s men.” She spoke gently, her voice strong and feminine. “They accompanied me to Linden to ensure my safety since my future husband had not returned for me.”

            His eyes narrowed shrewdly. “You should not have come without my knowledge.” He growled, “I would have sent word when the time was at hand for your arrival. You coming unaware have displeased me.”

            “Forgive me, milord, ‘twas not my decision but my father’s. He believed I would have been far safer in your hands.”

            Fallon groaned inwardly. McLeod merely wanted to ensure the safety of his lands and was attempting to hurry their union along. “Well than you may send word to your father that I have every reason to see you safely back home.” He turned around but a strong male voice stopped his flight.

            “That cannot happen, Macaulay.”

            Fallon paused and slowly turned to the guttural voice that had spoken. The man standing at his betrothed’s side resembled her in striking resemblance. He was exceptionally tall, built in lean muscle with hair as black as coal. He had the same unusual sloe eyes but a far more demanding presence than his betroth.

            Fallon stepped toward the man in sudden pique. “Who are you to dispute my word in my hall?”

            The man appeared undaunted as his chin jutted upward in open defiance. “I am Alec McLeod, brother to your betrothed.”

            Fallon smirked, “Brother? Your father had not mentioned a son. What did he think to gain by sending you here, lad?”

            The man, who clearly was not a youth, narrowed his eyes sharply on Fallon. “My father has reason to believe that you intend to break your oath-“

            “You question my loyalty to my King!” Fallon snapped, moving forward in several angry strides.

            His betrothed winced beneath his unveiled rage and edged closer to her brother. Alec however remained unaffected, sizing Fallon as if considering drawing his sword.

            “Understand this, Saxon-“ Fallon growled, “-William is foremost my King. I gave him my word and I intend to keep it.”

            In the silence that followed, the two doors from behind opened and all eyes drew to the man that entered some even took an involuntary step backward. “Have you a need of me, milord?” Ranulf’s voice resonated sharply in the room.

            Fallon straightened, “Nay Ranulf, ‘tis naught but a misunderstanding.” He turned away, “See that my betrothed and her brother are seen to their horses.”

            “Wait!”

            Inhaling deeply through his nose, Fallon turned not to the man, but to his betrothed who had spoken out.

            The woman who was to be his wife was a comely sort but her alluring features, that would have stirred many, did naught for him. “Aye?” he asked with seldom tolerance.

            Her uneasiness of him was quite clear as she reluctantly stepped toward him but her intrigue was far greater. “The King has informed us that you were given leniency in time so that you and I may get better acquainted. How is that to be accomplished if you cast us out?”

            Fallon clenched his jaw until the muscle there began to pulse. “I am Lord here. I have the right to cast out anyone if it pleases me. You, milady, are no exception.”

            “What if I went to the King?” she challenged, “What if I went to William and said that you refused me? Do you think he would be pleased to know that you have not attempted to make an effort?”

            Fallon studied the woman in seething silence. He gritted his teeth to keep from lashing out at the woman who was to be his wife. He sensed her fear but detected her urgency and an eagerness to have a husband and wondered questionably at that.

            “Ranulf-“ he turned to his man, “Have a servant accompany my betrothed to a room and see that her men are given suitable accommodations.” With that he spun around and departed the hall, leaving his betrothed glaring crossly at his back.

            “He is an overbearing brute!” Lady Rosalind mumbled crisply to her maid who trailed meekly at her heels.

            Once secured in her guest chamber, she unclasped her cloak and handed it to Morag and did a perceptive study of her room. She was not pleased. She was a daughter of a wealthy man and was accustomed to the lavished commodities that life had to offer.

            The chamber lacked extravagance and luxury. No matter. She thought considerably. That would all change once she was mistress of Linden.

            Smiling to herself, she circled the room and imagined its potential. Her heart fluttered at the thought, and her thoughts shifted to her husband-to-be.

            He was indeed the epitome of the tales foretold and she certainly feared the man but that had not swayed her. She prided herself for her cleverness and knew this would benefit her greatly. When she first heard of her arranged marriage to the formidable warrior, she had been outraged and furious with her father, certain it was all for personal gain, but when she had set eyes on Fallon ‘The Fury’, she knew no other man would compare.

            When she had learned of William’s invasion, she feared of being cast out like all the others. She had not been raised to become a slave! Though she did not approve of her new king, she knew that marrying Fallon Macaulay would be her wisest of decisions.           

            With this union, she would maintain her position and gain the respect from those who had conquered her land. She would not have to fear them; instead, they would curtsy to her because she would be wife to the most feared and respected warrior under William’s command.

            It was an honorable match. Her father combined with the sanction of Fallon’s clan would be a force to reckon with.

            She settled comfortably onto the drab coverlet that covered the bed and peered dreamily up at the ceiling. She would bare him many children, she thought with a smile curving her lips. She imagined her children with the same untamed golden mane and eyes that brilliant shade of sun.

            Aye, she was particularly pleased with her husband-to-be. She was slightly concerned that he appeared unmoved by her beauty. Most men scrambled for her affections. It mattered not. She had yet to meet a man that was aloof to her charms and Fallon would be no exception.

            He needed time to accept their union.

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.9K 1.1K 19
❝𝗗𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵 𝖽𝗈𝖾𝗌𝗇'𝗍 𝗌𝗈𝗎𝗇𝖽 𝗌𝗈 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗿𝘆 𝗐𝗁𝖾𝗇 𝖺𝗅𝗅 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝖽𝗈 𝗂𝗌 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗂𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗺𝗶𝗿𝗿𝗼𝗿 𝗍𝗈 𝗌𝖾𝖾 𝗶�...
742 99 35
Sliabh na bhFian it is called - the Mountain of Warriors. Those who dwell in its shadow live in fear of the robber band who come raiding and burning...
70.4K 4.2K 41
Elle Fallon, a girl from a starving dystopian town, breaks the most absolute law to save her sister. The outraged, deadly king orders her to become o...
211 98 42
Lady Emilea has only ever wanted to be accomplished like her siblings. Yet, no matter how much she studies politics and trains with the bow, she is l...