The Claiming

Av Beautiful_Dreamer

The kingdom of Bayfell requires that every male and female must marry after he or she turns sixteen. Of cours... Mer

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Nineteen

32.3K 1.2K 247
Av Beautiful_Dreamer

I light every candle I can find (which is three). I place one on either side of the queen-sized bed in a little niche that acts as a shelf and headboard. The third I place on the dresser directly across from the bed.

As Alec unpacks his backpack, I wipe off the dusty old mirror above the dresser and stare at myself. I already have the makings of dark circles under my eyes. My cheeks are beginning to hollow from the lack of food. I've never been hungrier than I am now that I'm starting to think about it. I wonder if Alec has anything... I don't want to bother him anymore, though.

"I brought you some clothes to change into," Alec says suddenly. I jump at his voice piercing the silent air.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I had forgotten until I unpacked. Here." He hands me a royal blue sweater and grey jeans. Of course, I don't want to sleep in this.

"Thanks," I say, staring down at the clothes. I really don't want to make Alec upset again by being petty.

Alec sees it on my face, though. "I also brought you some sweatpants.

I feel my face light up at the sight of the comfortable clothing I can actually wear to sleep. "How did you fit all this in there?"

Alec grins a little. "I just rolled all the clothes and blankets and mushed everything else in there as tightly as possible. The rope is gone now, so that's a little weight off my back."

"Maybe we could find me one so we can collect more supplies and carry more," I suggest hesitantly.

Alec nods. "That's not a bad idea. Okay, go change while I make the bed. This has got to be nasty."

Once I've taken off the dress and discarded it under the sink, I pull on the black sweatpants and slide the sweater on over my head. Of course, the dress is beautiful, but now that I see it off my body, I don't ever want it back on.

When I walk out of the bathroom and see Alec lining the surface of the bed with a plush blanket decorated with flowers. His mom must have given that to him for our journey. I can't wait to see the sweet lady again.

"The bed isn't too bad, but just to be on the safe side, we're not touching it. I took the pillow cases off the pillows and found folded ones in the closets. Those seem in O.K. condition. I really wonder how none of this is eaten up by bugs yet. There must not be many cracks in the walls yet."

"Maybe this hotel was run a little after the wars... Maybe well into Bayfell times," I say.

Alec sits on the edge of the bed and then collapses to his back in exhaustion. "We did a lot today, Belle."

I sit next to him and lean over on my knees, covering my face in the palms of my hands. I don't know what to think now. My whole life has been pretty dull and strict. Now... I don't even know what's going on.

Hours ago I was almost raped by a prince. That was a little craziness God decided to throw into my life.

"Belle?" Alec says gently. He sits up and rests his hand on my back. He moves it in slow circles as he tilts my chin towards him with his other hand. "You okay? Well, of course you're not okay... This is overwhelming you beyond belief. And I—I've been such a jerk to you, snapping at you right and left."

I blink at him tiredly.

Alec plants a soft kiss on my lips. "I'm sorry," he whispers. "You've been through so much and I'm just throwing everything at you right and left, and then on top of that expecting you to be at your best when obviously you haven't eaten in days. Am I right?"

I look down at my shaking hands. I nod.

Alec pulls his backpack over to his side and digs inside one of the outside pockets. He fishes out a granola bar. "I don't have a lot, but this should help a little bit."

I just stare at it. The hunger is gone, and all I feel now is queasiness in my stomach. "I'm fine," I say.

"No, take it. You need it. I want you back to your curvy self," he says with a chuckle.

Have I really lost that much weight over three days? I highly doubt it. I sigh and let Alec drop the granola bar into my hand. After the first couple bites, however, I scarf it down with the realization of how hungry I am.

Next thing I know, I'm running to the bathroom to throw up.

What the heck is wrong with me?

Alec holds my hair back the entire time I'm leaning over the toilet. After I know I'm empty once more, I sit back and cry.

I hate this.

I hate all these issues I have to deal with now.

I wish we could go home.

Bayfell wasn't that bad.

But it was.

Alec wraps me up in his arms as we sit on the bathroom floor together. Words can't describe how stupid I felt. My stomach seems to writhe in pain as hunger sets in once more. I have a horrible taste in my mouth, and poor Alec has to deal with it all.

"I'm so sorry," Alec whispers to me.

I shake my head and say in a blubbering voice, "No, I'm sorry. This is all my fault. All of it."

"No, it's not. Come on, stand up."

He lifts me to my feet and then continues to help me wash the taste out of my mouth half a water bottle he's stashed in his backpack along with toothpaste and a brush. Alec then lifts my puke-stained sweater over my head and starts to wash it in the sink with the rest of the bottle. I stand against the bathroom wall watching him, biting my nails to keep from bursting again.

"You just need some sleep," Alec says once he finishes. He steps out of the bathroom and hangs my sweater on a hanger in the closet to dry overnight. "I'm sure you haven't had a single good night's sleep."

I shrug.

He takes my hand and walks me over to the bed. I lie down on the floral blanket with a fantastic amount of relief as my back and stomach start to settle. I roll over onto my side and face the wall. Alec sits next to me on the other side and covers us both with another blanket. Once he lies down, he takes me around the waist and pulls my bare back to his chest. "You were amazing today," he says quietly into my ear. "I saw you fighting the prince with all you had—you were so brave to do that."

"I was scared out of my mind," I say, gripping his arms.

"Being brave doesn't mean you aren't scared. It means you are but are willing to do whatever it takes. And Belle, you're the bravest person I know. You were raised in the Facility, a place that shows no sympathy for orphans. You stood up on that stage at the Claiming and looked each man in the eyes before you chose me. You chose me in front of all those people without blinking an eye. You were willing to break those other guys' hearts just to get where you are today. And then when the prince took you away, you did what your gut told you to do and you gave in—but eventually you fought back and won. We won, Belle."

I close my eyes and let out a long sigh.

"You were the one who really saved me. Without you, the prince probably would have killed me after raping me."

"But because you fought back, that gave me time to come in and whack him upside the head! We're a team, Belle. We always will be."

I shift over and face him, my hand on his chest. "We need to get married again. Right now, we're divorced."

Alec glances down at the ring on my finger. "Then this time, we'll have a proper wedding. My parents will be there, and you'll wear a white dress."

"Where are we going to get that?" I ask with a laugh.

He shrugs. "Wherever we can find a home. We'll get there."

"Do you want the ring back?"

He kisses the tip of my nose. "Consider it an engagement ring."

I smile. "Is this your way of re-proposing to me?"

"Not good enough?"

I giggle. "I don't even care at this point."

Alec uses his thumb to trace the dark circles under my eyes. "Sometimes I look back and wonder what my younger self would think if someone had told him that he would end up with Isabella Reyes—his best friend."

"I wonder the same thing," I whisper.

"Go to sleep. Tomorrow will be a much easier day. Less creepy dudes, that's for sure."

I laugh and then kiss him on the lips. He holds me tighter and presses the kiss longer and longer. When we part, I give him one last peck before turning back around and curling up into Alec's arms.

The cold settles around us much stronger now that we're lying still. Wind outside whistles against the windowpane and through the cracks in the glass. It won't be long before the window gives way and glass flies in, creating a new habitat for the outside world to invade.

For now, though, it is still ours.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

490 27 21
"I can disappear too. You shouldn't have to deal with all this. I...I shouldn't be here. Who are we kidding? You are one of the most powerful people...
20.3K 1.5K 26
Mave leads a kingdom that is on the brink of destruction, with threats from both outside and within. And she's doing it all on her own while Eli is a...
1.3K 65 26
(This novel is under revision as of 2-5-19 up until I feel the true motivation to scrub through most of my older work. Also this summary is something...
56 0 7
A princess. A chosen one. A marriage to the cruel king of the enemy kingdom. If this were a fairytale, it could be the premise of a perfect love stor...