Healing Haven - Book 2 in Hav...

By FallonDeMornay

Book Two - Haven Series ALYSSA SLOANE, after facing down breast cancer, the death of her mother and being... More

Author's Note
Synopsis
1 | - Give It To Me
2| Day Job
3| - Reunited
4| - Blurred lines
5| - First Impressions
6| - Second Impressions
7|- The Gallery
8| Family
9| Traditions
10| Promotion
11| Who are you?
12| Wing Woman
13| Got any cuffs?
14| Be Fearless
15| Sisters
16| Busting a Lannister
17| Who runs the world? Girls!
18| Check and Mate ***Adult Content***
19| Stay... ***Adult Content***
20| Honesty is the best policy
21| Taking Initiative
22| Patron
22 (b)| Two sides to the law
23| Here...
23| A rose by any other name...
24| Battle Scars
25| I'm there with you... **Adult Content**
26| Blaze of Glory
27| Later
28| Setting the scene **Adult Content**
29| Magic in the spring
30| May the odds be ever in your favour
31| Karma
32| Goodbye is never easy
33| Cry wolf
34| Alyssa vs. Goliath
35| Revenge is best served cold
36| Closure
Author's Note - The End
New Project Announcement - STILETTO SISTERHOOD
Life doesn't come with a happy ending

24| Out Of Focus

10.2K 601 29
By FallonDeMornay

Alyssa stood before the mirror in her bedroom, angling left than right. She'd picked out a new dress yesterday while shopping on a whim. A stunning one of a kind strapless number that started in deepest black at the top and shimmered out into dazzling silver at the hem. Crystals and metallic detailing created shape and movement and made her think of stardust in a night sky.

Her hair had grown over the last couple of weeks, now grazing the tops of her shoulders and Alyssa decided she liked the growth, running a curling iron and finger combing for a sexy, tousled beach wave. She kept her makeup minimal, opting for a dramatic sweep of liner to accentuate her almond shaped eyes, and a deep plum for her lips.

Simple but full of impact.

And wondered what Ethan was going to think when he got a look at the final result. And why did merely thinking about that gleam in his eyes make her belly flutter, she wondered, pressing a hand to stomach. Tonight they were going as a couple. Stepping out for the first time together, in front of everyone. And that, coupled with the sound of the shower running, the wisps of steam escaping the crack in the door and the low rumble of his voice as he sang along to Cold Play...all did something to her. Something both thrilling and terrifying.

He'd come over a little later than expected but in the end that had probably worked best, letting Alyssa have a comfortable window to enjoy the female ritual of getting ready without interruption of pressure.

Alyssa brushed her hands over his suit she'd laid out on the bed. A deep navy with a hint of silver in the thread. In her mind she could imagine how his body would fill out the seams—broad shoulders narrow waist, the thick strong muscles of his legs...and if she kept that up, they'd never make it to the party. The shirt was white and she'd paired it with a grey tie she'd purchased while in the same boutique as her dress.

Another touch that felt oddly intimate. Personal.

She hadn't thought so at the time but now, standing there, with Ethan in her shower and his suit on her bed, it all rang of a couple falling into a comfortable rhythm. Tucking her nerves aside and thoughts aside, Alyssa left the bedroom and went to her laptop to put a few finishing touches on her speech for tonight. She'd only hit print when Ethan stepped out, dark hair gleaming and suit immaculate. The silver tie draped around his neck.

"Do you mind?" he asked, stroking the ends. "I've never been any good at this."

"Sure," she said and stood up to move to him when something flashed across his face, stopping her cold. "What?"

Spellbound, there was no other word for it, Ethan thought as he stood there dazzled. Mesmerized. He probably should be annoyed, or worried, that every time he saw her she had this breathtaking impact—where his heart swelled and squeezed tight between his lungs, making it hard to think. To breathe. But right now, in this moment, he couldn't process anything beyond her.

"You're so beautiful," he whispered, and watched as a flush of colour rose to her cheeks, as it always did when he complimented her.

"You're not looking too bad yourself, Sheriff." She came to him, a slow winding kind of prowl that made his blood hum. "Here." Her hands brushed his aside and carefully, wound and twisted and knotted the fabric into a perfect Windsor knot.

Because she was here and close and because he really wanted another taste of her, Ethan bent his head and pressed his lips to hers. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it." 

"Nervous?"

Her smile fluttered, but otherwise didn't fall. "Me? No way. I was born ready."

He smirked at that. "We should get going. I promised Jenelle I'd have you there for seven. She'll castrate me if we're a minute late."

"Well, we can't have that." Alyssa winked. And Ethan had almost been tempted to chance it and haul her into the bedroom for a passionate quickie. But, knowing Jenelle wasn't one for idle threats, he managed to keep himself in check. 

Barely.

They took his car, deciding that if anything should arise and he had to leave, she could always catch a ride home with Eva instead of having to drop him off. Not that Ethan anticipated any issues. He had a full team on deck at the precinct, with the exceptions of Sheryl and Carlos, as well as his predecessor, Tom Creedy, all of whom Alyssa had insisted on inviting. In part, he was sure, for him. So there would be familiar faces in a sea of unfamiliar. And her thoughtful consideration touched him.

Out of Focus was almost obscured by the dense crowd filling the streets. A heavy line of cars running down and around towards Main. Photographers wedged on the curb, bright lights and cameras, reports with microphones—Jesus, he'd never seen anything like it on Haven. Following Alyssa's directions, Ethan parked around the back of the gallery where Jenelle had cordoned off the small lot from the public so close friends and family had a way in and out without upset.

Valets waited patiently, running through the guest list then collecting his keys to handle the tedium of parking. Taking hold of Alyssa's hand, Ethan led her through the back doors and was immediately swept away by the transformation.

He'd only been inside of the gallery a handful of times, but now—it was unlike anything he'd expected or steeled himself for. The walls had been pushed out, leaving a wide, open showroom floor. Poured concrete floors and white walls. The ceiling raised and exposed venting and pipe work lent to a modern, industrial feel.

The floor was filling up with people and circling caterers carrying trays of appetizers or flutes of champagne. Eva and Jenelle stood together and for a second Ethan had almost overlooked his sister-in-law until she'd turned around he got a good, clear look at her face.

Eva, to his shock and awe, cleaned up well.

She wore a fitted pantsuit in unpretentious black, but buttoned high and without a shirt. Blood red lips and short hair in a messy kind of style that was all high-fashion runway. His sister contrasted Eva in an ice white sheath that glittered like crushed diamonds under the gallery lights, her red hair up in an intricate knot that left her face—all cheekbones and pouting lips—on full display. And as Alyssa rushed to join them, Ethan couldn't help but think, as they stood together, a picture of power, brains and beauty--that they had the potential to take on the world. Conquer it.

"Ladies," Ethan said, stopped to hug his sister and Eva. "You three are stunning."

"We know." Jenelle winked. "But since you complimented us so nicely, I'll forgive you for being twenty seconds late."

Ethan cocked his wrist. "Not by my watch."

"Mine's the only one that matters."

"There's so many people," Eva said, interrupting any further sibling banter. "We have all the signed media releases, right?"

"Every last one," Alyssa assured. "And we have the best security team out front, carefully screening all attendants. No one is getting in who wasn't expressly invited."

Ethan watched as the stiffness eased out of Eva's shoulders, more so, he imagined, because Alyssa was here, holding her hand. Having six siblings, he understood the deep and fierce bond of family and blood. As the eldest, he'd made it his priority to be that source of comfort and security for each of his brothers and sisters.

He couldn't imagine the kind of hell she had endured for the five years of separation and now, seeing them together, so connected, he wondered how she was going to feel being so far away from her sister's side? Since the healing of their rift, they'd been joined at the hip—so much so that he doubted even Alyssa realized how tight those threads of family had cinched around her.

People flowed in from the front doors, and his eyes were dragged away to a tall, gold dusted beauty, her skin almost the same hue as her dress, with liquid brown eyes and a curtain of hair that fell to her waist. She snuck up behind Alyssa, gave her butt a pinch and Alyssa spun with a squeal, flinging her arms around the woman's neck for a fierce, fast embrace.

"You're here!" Alyssa cried, peeling away as if disbelieving her own eyes. "When? How?"

"Oh, I bought my ticket ages ago," the woman answered. "No way in hell was I going to miss this. Especially not after being bumped from Orvana Holdings account."

"You must be Indira," Jenelle said, holding out her hand. "Lovely to meet you, at long last." And with the name, the pieces clicked into place. Indy. Alyssa's best friend. She'd spoken of her often enough that there was no mistaking the name.

"You know each other?"

"We've been in touch." Jenelle winked. "Indy insisted on surprising you."

"I flew out shortly after our phone call," Indy said. "I've decided, to hell with it, you were right. I needed to get away. I hope you don't mind, but I missed you."

"I'm so happy you're here." Alyssa hastily brushed her fingers across her cheeks. Dashing away tears. 

"While I hate to break this up," Jenelle winced, "we really need to get you to the front. Speeches start in ten."

"Alright." Alyssa shifted her gaze from Indira to Ethan, a silent question passing between them.

"I'll be here," he said, brushing his lips across her cheek. "Watching you." Her hand tightened in his for a second before releasing to whisper something to Indira. Those warm eyes slid over him, assessing and knowing.

"Go, darling. Dazzle us with your brilliance." They kissed quickly, a press of lips that was all sisterly and loving.

"Come," Jenelle said, looping her hand through Indy's arm. "There's seating up front here."

Ethan watched as they veered off into the crowd, towards the podium under spotlights and the array of seating quickly filling up with journalists and reporters, eager to get up close and personal with the Sloane twins.

"There's my boy." At the booming voice of Tom Creedy, Ethan turned as his predecessor muscled his way over, his linebacker's shoulders wedged into a charcoal suit that Ethan would bet hadn't seen the light of day in at least ten years. "I heard all about the Kim matter. You did good, son. Real good."

"It was a team effort," Ethan said, shaking Tom's waiting hand. "But I'm glad we got the result we were hoping for."

The speakers crackled and Jenelle's voice slid out, announcing the start of the opening speech and Tom stood with him, shoulder to shoulder as Alyssa took to the podium to address the crowd of press.

Alyssa took control, from the smooth and easy way she delivered her speech to the confident way she handled the questions. If there was a hint of nerves and anxiety, it didn't show in her face or voice. And she wasn't afraid to step in or steer the points away from personal and murky waters.

Journalists were journalists, he supposed, and were always going to push the boundaries. For more. He'd seen his brother do much of the same, though back then he'd dealt with the unsavoury aspects of the news world, from terrorists to sleazy politicians.

"Have you given any more thought to my offer?" Tom asked, lowering his voice as the space was hushed for the tail end of the questions. "Retirement announcement is set for the end of next month and I need to know, son. Are you going to stand up there with me?" 

Ethan drew in a breath, expecting the cool shock of anixeity, but instead felt steady. Calm. His answer was absolute. "Yes."

A punch of relief scored across Tom's features quickly followed by a rush of pure joy. Proud as a father as his son's championship game as his gaze skimmed to follow Ethan's line of sight. 

"Ah," Tom said, a crinkle of knowing in his eyes. "The love of a good woman'll do that to a man. Put it all into perspective."

"It's what I keep telling him, sir, but the bastard never listens to me," Carlos said, having slipped around the periphery of the crowd to join them at the far corner. Sheryl was with him, her face severe despite the hint of makeup she wore. Come to think of it, Ethan realized, he'd never seen her in much of anything aside from a cop's uniform since they'd both graduated from the academy almost ten years ago. And here she stood, wearing a dress and pashmina wrapped around her shoulders. 

"You make it sound like I was a miserable pain in the ass."

"You were a miserable pain in the ass.

Tom barked a laugh at that, clapping a hand on Carlos' shoulder. "Indeed, son. Indeed. Well, now, if you'll excuse me—I see the governor general with my Miriam. And I should really get a word in about that new policy." Ethan glanced across the room to see Tom's wife was a stout Korean at barely five feet tall with a wide smile and made the best bulgogi he'd ever had, smiled up at her husband with such love it clutched at his heart. Made him yearn... 

"She looks good up there," Carlos nodded over to the podium where Alyssa stood, surrounded by photographers, smiling for the cameras.

"She does," he agreed. Taking in a sweep of the space, of the people and ambience, a swell of pride filled Ethan, so bright and fast he wasn't sure what to do with it all. He was so fucking proud of her. What she'd help accomplish.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, but that goddess in the gold dress has stolen my heart," Carlos said, adjusting his blazer with a wink. "So if you need me, I'll be arresting her for theft, or buying her drink at the bar." And took off, straight for Indy.

Leaving him alone with Sheryl who all but giving him frostbite, though he'd be damned if he knew why. They'd never had issues before and Ethan couldn't recall saying or doing anything out of line. In fact, they'd always maintained a kind of sibling sort of teasing between them. Bearing that in mind, he decided to approach her as he would his own sister.

"So," Ethan said, reaching for a tray to pluck a couple flutes of champagne and handed one to Sheryl, because she had the look of a woman who could use a drink. "You look nice."

"Thanks," she muttered, dry with sarcasm. Tipping the flute to her lips.

A chill wracked down his spine as the temperature in the room dropped another ten degrees. "Where's your date?"

"I came alone."

Okay, he thought. Definitely something wrong here, and resisted the urge to scrape his hand through his hair. "Sheryl...are we good? Is there something we need to talk about?" 

She slid a cool gaze up at him. And for a moment he feared she might heave the rest of her champagne in his face.

"You and that Sloane chick are getting pretty serious," she said after a long, pensive pause.

Not sure where this was going, Ethan shrugged. "We've made no secret that we're...can we cut the bullshit and get to the point, Sheryl? Are you mad about those traffic reports I heaped on your desk? Because I can push them back on Carlos or Devon if you're feeling swamped."

"You really are a clueless idiot." She rolled her eyes with a mutter, drained her glass. "I'm pissed, Ethan, because I've been sitting around patiently waiting for you to open yourself up ever since things went bust with that bitch, Nicole. I've liked you since high school and never got my chance and after she messed you up I wasn't going to make the mistake of blowing it all on a hot night."

Stunned, Ethan blew out a staggered breath. "Shit, Sheryl."

"I'm not a damn kid, Ethan," she snapped. "I can handle the fact that you're in a relationship, it's just...well..." Her shoulders curved and a bit of her mad gave way to disappointment. "I've always thought that whenever you did finally get your cute head out of your adorable ass that you'd see I've been standing right here in front of you all this fucking time. But, apparently slow and steady wasn't going to win this race. My own stupid fault. You snooze you lose."

Unsure of what to say or do, Ethan stood there. Stock still and silent. This was his friend. A dear friend and colleague. In the seven years they'd worked together, she'd never hinted or implied there was any interest on her part, and he'd certainly never entertained any on his end. Sure he'd noticed she was an attractive, single woman of a certain age—and yes, he'd acknowledged they had certain compatible attributes, but he'd always drawn a hard line on getting tangled up with someone so connected to his life and work.

His thoughts were so busy spinning he hadn't realized she'd asked him a question until her fingers snapped before his eyes.

"What?"

"I said," she sighed, "have you really thought this through?"

"Thought what through? The promotion?"

Annoyed, Sheryl's hand swatted his arm. "Christ, is all the sex killing your brain cells? Alyssa. I'm talking about Alyssa. Have you thought it through? Doesn't she leave in a few weeks?"

"Yes, so? What's your point?"

"My point is what's going to happen when she does? Are you telling me she'll give up the city and move up to your gorgeous house by the cove? Or is she going to drag you away from Haven? From everything you know and love along with that promotion you just told Tom you're going to accept?"

Ethan's gripped tightened on his flute. "It's too soon to ask those kinds of questions."

"Maybe you should, Ethan," she said, brushing past him. "Before you get hurt."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 102 13
I thought this was gonna be a normal teenage story, high school drama and a mysterious bad boy boyfriend. Unfortunately for me, I have been engaged t...
16.8K 580 6
"_𝑖𝑛 𝑎𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑙𝑖𝑓𝑒 𝑖'𝑙𝑙 𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑦 𝑦𝑜𝑢.....𝑦/𝑛" ➪𝐴 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 𝑜𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑘𝑜𝑘𝑜𝑛𝑜𝑖 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑓𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑠 �...
54.2K 4.7K 41
Progressive Properties is aggressively taking over where small neighborhoods once flourished. Now Angelique's Shelter, St. Gabriel's, is under attack...
2.8M 92.4K 43
Josie Kirkland loves music. She loves her family. And she loves her new job... Travis Fischer loves music. He loves his band. And he loves his so...