The REBELZ: "The Beginning" (...

By TessaMxdori95

{{A/N: ROUGH DRAFT! Still under development!!}} "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be ma... More

The REBELZ Series (©️ 2013-present) + Characters
PROLOGUE
~ | Part ONE | ~
ONE
TWO
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY

THREE

88 5 0
By TessaMxdori95

[**WARNING: Contains Gory Details in this chapter!! Read at your own risk**]
ALSO***play the video as you read; it adds to the sadness and the theme of the chapter :')

**Special Author's Note**

This chapter is dedicated to one of my fellow classmates, Auston McLellan (17), who recently died in a single vehicle collision with a utility pole while drag racing on a street near BOTH of our houses. He was on his way home from a football celebration event with all of his teammates and coaches.

He will be forever missed & remembered :')

#14Strong

Auston TAYLOR McLellan
December 13, 1995

August 18, 2013

(**Another Picture in the MEDIA above!! Along with a Lyric video**)

~Tessa(:

_________________________________

~ | **-**-**-- | R | --**-**-** | ~

Chapter THREE

I focused on nothing else except getting to the blast zone as quickly as my feet could carry me. I had to know if Kyle was okay. He had to be!

Please be alright... Please–please–please!

I skidded to a stop when I reached the edge of the smoldering remains of the demolished suburb, the stench of sulfur invading my senses. I heard the others run up behind but I kept my eyes forward, searching around for the source of the blast.

Unfortunately, it didn't take very long.

"GUYS! Over here!" Jackie's far off voice called from somewhere among the smoldering rubble. I was the first to reach her, and my heart instantly dropped to the pit of my stomach. What I saw would haunt me for the rest of my puny life...

What I'm about to describe here is definitely NOT for the faint of heart—I've learned to stomach these kinds of things over the years when other people were most likely to puke their guts up...

What Jackie had discovered was the remains of our beloved friend and mentor, Kyle.

He had been blown to smithereens by what I could only guess was a mine or grenade. Chunks of him were lying everywhere... The entire scene was bloody and so horrific that I almost gagged from the putrid smell and the horrifying sight right before my eyes.

Jackie, however, did throw up. I heard gasps from some of the others–probably Jane and Elaina. El turned away, unable to look at Kyle's gory remains any longer. I just stood there for some time, stunned, staring at the bloody mess everywhere, a horrified expression on my face. I couldn't find it in me to move or react... I could barely think. All I could do was stand there and stare. I registered Jane's heart-wrenching sob nearby and a few sniffles.

What a flipping terrible way to go.

"I-is that...?" I heard El trail off, afraid to say his name aloud for fear it would become true. A soft whimper escaped her lips as she tried to hold back the tears behind her eyelids.

Sometime during all of this, Sal had arrived. He walked up to stand beside me and rested a hand on my shoulder. I was completely out of it that the comforting gesture didn't even faze me.

"It is," he declared solemnly, and thus, our fears were confirmed.

I rarely ever cried. I'd like to think I was tough enough that I wouldn't break down so easily—as if my tears had dried up a long time ago when my parents died in the Great War to End the World.

My eyes did burn as I continued to stead at the grisly remains before me. Rendered completely numb, I was paralyzed; Kyle was dead and he was never coming back.

"I'm greatly sorry, Roxanne. This was my fault. I should never have sent him on his own. God, I am so sorry..." Sal's voice broke, then he walked away, and Trina followed after him. I could do nothing but stand there, paralyzed by the truth. It wasn't his fault, I didn't blame him at all—it was an accident. It was just the way life was nowadays—cruel and unfair.

Absorbed in my thoughts, I hadn't noticed Blake had been examining the accident where it had happened until he spoke his findings aloud to the rest of us. "He must have tripped on a mine. Looks like it was hidden under some rubble." Blake was saying. He was crouched before this shallow, blackened hole in the ground near an upturned slab of cement.

I heard soft footsteps coming up to me. It was Jackie and she curled an arm around mine to comfort me. "Come on, Roxy. You shouldn't see this." When I didn't move, she started tugging on me. Eventually, she had to practically drag me away, and then I finally found that my legs could move again.

I allowed my best friend to pull me away from the gory crime scene. I was grateful for that; I didn't want to look at it any longer. Jackie gave me one of her comforting hugs that helped melt me a little. I tried to hug her back, but I still felt numb because of shock, so it probably felt like she was hugging a stone pillar.

The rest of our friends joined, gathering me in a big group hug, offering me words of encouragement and comfort. I was eternally grateful to have these friends. Wouldn't know what I would do without them.

Afterward, when the chilly night air finally got to me and I began to shiver. Rickie gave me his blanket he still had, so I wrapped myself in it and thanked him.

We waited while Sal, Blake and a few of his buddies assessed the damage.  When Sal returned, he wore a sad expression, his hand clasped in Trina's. "We haven't found any more bodies so I believe there is nothing here. It's completely deserted."

Everyone nodded, silent. I shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot.

"Was this an accident or was the mine planted there for him?" Rickie wondered, unable to say Kyle's name aloud. It hurt too much.

"I have no idea. A further search of the place has come up with more mines, so I gather that this was purely accidental." Sal spoke softly. I could clearly tell Sal still blamed himself, but what else could you do?

It would totally suck, being the leader. With every death that happened on your watch, accidental or otherwise, you would have to blame yourself; after all, it had happened under your orders. That was a side effect to being a leader, and I definitely wasn't ready for that.

Kyle should be here... He should still be alive!

"What should we do now? We...we can't..." Jackie broke off.

We knew what she was trying to say. We didn't have a body to bury...

"We don't necessarily need his body." Sal suggested, voice quiet and pensive. "The way I see it, it was his soul who we loved and admired, that made him the person he was. Our bodies are just vessels, and he was more than his physical body. Our memories of him are all we need. Those we can carry with us and never lose."

I thought that was a nice way of thinking about it.

Clearing his throat, Blake approached me. I didn't know what to make of this, until he held something out to me. "This is all I found. I'm sure you guys could use it at his funeral or something."

Biting my lip, I slowly took the small metal wiring from his hand and silently held it limply in my own. All I could do was stare at the single mangled eye rim and temple of Kyle's wire-rimmed glasses. The glass was missing, the bridge piece was broken off and the part that went back over the ears was bent out of sorts. The whole picture resembled our heart's right now; broken beyond repair.

When we departed, I walked next to Sal. "I know you probably resent me for Kyle's death, and I'm terribly sorry. You don't know how much."

"Sal..." Trina patted his arm.

I shook my head. "I'm not, Sal. You can't blame yourself! You couldn't have known that there were mines there, or something like that would happen."

Sal looked at me. "I'm in charge of all of you. It's my job to keep you safe and I failed."

"You can't think like that, Sal. It wasn't your fault. Horrible things happen to good people; we both should know that very well by now." I told him.

"She's right, Sal. There was no way you or anyone else could have prevented this. We're only human." Trina reminded him softly. I could tell her heart was breaking for him, that she hated seeing him like this. I felt the same way. He always took full responsibility during times like these.

"It was under my orders. I'm a leader; it's only natural. I'm just glad you're not furious with me." Sal hung his head, squeezing Trina's hand, a sad but grateful smile on his lips.

I attempted a small smile as well. "Don't worry. Yeah, I'm terrified that I'm going to be taking his place, but I'm not mad. You're a great leader, Sal."

"Thank you, Rox. That means a lot." He said, and when he smiled a little, it didn't reach his eyes all the way.

Trina looked up at him with a familiar kind of smile. "I told you she didn't hate you." They shared an intimate look that made me feel like I was intruding on something special, so I looked away. Gah, all this lovey-dovey stuff was tiring to watch.

I awoke early the next morning before the sun even came up. I heard chattering close by and saw Blake and Sal talking to each other, warming themselves by the burning embers of the dying flames of the campfire.

My friends' sleeping bodies surrounded me, snoring loudly in their sleeping bags—most likely Rickie's. His snores tended to sound like a freight train. I had no chance of falling back to sleep; once I was up, I was up. Period.

Noticing me approach, the two of them turned to greet me. When Blake smiled at me, it wasn't big, but it was definitely a friendly one.

"Morning, Roxanne." Sal greeted conversationally. It looked like he hadn't gotten much sleep; the bags under his eyes proved that. I know I probably did as well.

"Hey," I replied, sitting down and getting myself a small cup of the hot coffee they had made. "What's up?"

"Blake has asked if he could join us and I have accepted. We need someone to lead our security team and he's the perfect fit, don't you think?"

I nodded. "Yeah, of course. We need all the help we can get." I didn't have any problem with it.
Unfortunately that meant I would have to deal with Jackie's teasing. Ah, crap.

Blake nodded, relief flashing across his face. "I'm glad you agree. I know I'm a complete stranger you know nothing about but I swear you won't regret it."

Sal placed a hand on Blake's shoulder. "I trust you and I have complete faith that you will lead it well. Everyone else who has a problem with that can just deal with it or talk to me. You'll fit in just fine." he assured him with his trademark charismatic smile that was breathtaking to look at. I couldn't help thinking that Trina was one lucky girl.

Blake gave a weak smile. "Thanks. I hope so, too."

I had a feeling we'd be hearing Alec complain about it, but I could care less; he would have to deal with it.

Sal left to check on the sick and wounded, leaving me—unfortunately—alone with Blake.

Oh, great! Just my luck...

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, occasionally sipping on my steaming drink as the silence settling between us grew even more awkward by the minute. I was about to make up some excuse to leave this unfortunate situation when Blake finally spoke.

"So, what's your story?" I asked, genuinely curious. This guy was an enigma and I really wanted to know as much as I could about him without being pushy.

When he gave me a look of surprise, I coughed and tried again. "I mean, like, have you lived here your whole life? If you don't want to tell me, it's perfectly okay. I just thought..." I shrugged. "You know, how about we break this awkward silence and talk about something... Since you're a part of our group now." My smile felt so fake and dorky. I should've kept my damn mouth shut.

"No, uh... I was just surprised is all." He said, his face a little pink and his eyes trained on the ground. "I've been here and there... I've never really told anyone about my past. I don't really like to talk about it much."

"Oh uh, sorry for prying... I'm not great at small talk or anything. If I don't...uh, know what to say, I normally don't say anything at all." I gave a dry chuckle, playing with the mug in my hands.
I could understand where he was coming from. I too am always secretive about my past. It had been gruesome, and talking about my parents always tore at my lonely heart, so I kept away from the subject, keeping my feelings guarded.

Despite my bumbling, Blake remained as courteous as always, giving me his usual polite smile.
"It's alright. The important thing you need to know about me is that I'm good at fighting and defense because I used to attend this academy where they taught you things like that. I will happily pass down what I learned so that I can aid your cause. I like what you guys are trying to do, and I want to help in any way I can."

I smiled into my cup. "Good, good. I'm glad. We need it."

I didn't know what else to say after this so once again, silence fell between us. Luckily it didn't last long before he stood up, looking off into the distance.

"Looks like Sal got everyone up. I think we'll be leaving soon."

Sure enough, everyone around us was on their feet and getting ready to head out. I got to my feet. "It was nice talking to you. I hope you'll like it back at HQ. It may not be very stylish nor an ideal place to live and all, but it's definitely better than nothing." I told him, keeping up the small talk as I was wringing my hands out of nervousness. Saving me from the awkwardness of saying goodbye, I heard Jackie call my name. "See you around?" I began walking backwards slowly.

Blake nodded, giving me a small friendly smile before I walked away. "Yeah, definitely."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 1.9K 40
[# 88 in TEEN FICTION on 14/3/18.] [#5 in angerissues on 10/05/2018] COMPLETED!!! No matter where you come from, your dreams are always valid. RULE 1...
84.9K 1.9K 15
- "I truly feel like everything I say or do is always wrong." - Years pass by like nothing, the seconds are ticking away bit by bit. - "Like I'm the...
36.8K 1.9K 61
[Editors' Choice 2020] In a near-future, post-apocalyptic world, a lone girl must choose between becoming the next-in-line to head a corrupt governme...
194K 12.4K 48
Sophie's future is planned out for her. Having just outgrown her studies and Job Placement in a few months, her path is straight and clear. But when...