A Florist's Guide to Love

By Zketchy

[Completed] In which a girl who sells flowers meets a guy who is allergic to flowers. What could possibly go... More

1st | No Flowers
2nd | Lilacs & Sunflowers
4th | Hydrangeas & Peonies
5th | Forget-me-not
6th | Carnations & Daisies
7th | Aloe & Marigold
8th | Lavenders & Daffodils
9th | Wildflowers
10th | Tulips & Roses
0th | Ground Zero

3rd | Sweet Peas & Buttercups

361 22 0
By Zketchy

To hopeless romantics, weddings are their final destination; to single people, weddings are their absolute nightmare. Me? I belonged to neither of them.

I was a florist.

"Where do you want the flower stands to be placed, Miss Dalton?" One of the workmen approached me and asked.

I raised my arm and pointed at the entrance. "Place them right next to the couple's photograph."

"What about the small plants?"

"I'll take care of them," I said as I placed the potted plants onto my trolley. "Please be careful with the petals."

"We will."

"I mean it." I turned to the worker. "They're very delicate."

"Don't worry, Miss Dalton." He gave me a reassuring smile. "We've handled a lot of intricate objects."

"But these flowers aren't like glasses." I looked at him square in the eye. "They can be squished very easily."

"We understand, Miss Dalton." He nodded sincerely. "They're quite beautifully arranged."

"Oh, you're too kind!" I leaned back and chortled. "Thank you so much!"

When I finished placing the flowers into the glass jars on the dining tables, I heard the rattling sound of high heels from behind me. Judging from the unsteady rhythm, those noises belonged to Lara Walker – bride of the day.

"Alice!" She gave me a warm embrace. "Where have you been?"

"Well, what do you think?" I drew her attention to the table ornaments. "Ta-da!"

"Oh, wow! These are so pretty." She nodded in approval. "Where are the bouquets for the bridesmaids?"

"They're in Felix's car, but he's still stuck in traffic." I cringed. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Ally. We still have three hours." Lara squeezed my shoulder. "What flowers have you picked out for me here?"

"Sweet peas and buttercups." I grinned proudly.

"Which is which, though?"

"See the golden ones? Those are buttercups." I pointed at the tiny, yellow flowers. "They imply new beginnings, joy, and friendship."

"I like them already." Lara was so excited that she nearly jumped. "So, the velvety ones are sweet peas?"

"Uh-huh. They bring bliss and prosperity."

"Look at how fluffy they are!" Lara flicked the petals with her fingers.

"Oh, be careful!" I swatted her hands away. "I spent an entire day on them."

"Aw, thank you for taking your time." She hugged me again. "I appreciate it."

"I know."

"Now, hurry up and get changed. The groomsmen will be here any second."

"But I'm tired." I sat down on a nearby sofa chair. "I just want to lie down and sleep..."

"Not happening." Lara pulled my arms forcefully.

But my eyes were closed already. "I thought we had three hours."

"No, no, no." She shook my shoulders. "There's someone I'd like you to meet."

"Who?" I opened my eyes in confusion.

"One of the groomsmen!"

"Psh! What's so special about him?"

"He is single!" She clapped her hands and squealed.

I put my palm on my forehead and sighed. "Lara, the last thing that I need from you right now is match-making."

"Come on, it's been a year since your last break-up." She pushed me on the shoulder. "Get a move on!"

"I'm very comfortable with being single." I crossed my arms. "Thank you very much."

"Ally, at least get changed for me, okay? You look terribly tired." She pouted at me. "I don't want to have an ugly Maid of Honour."

I grinned. "I know you love me."

"Yeah, yeah." She became serious again. "Now get into the dressing room!"

The second I entered the dressing room, I was engulfed in a bear hug by not one, but three people – introducing, my fellow bridesmaids.

"Ally!" They screamed in unison, which nearly induced permanent damage to my eardrum.

"Hey, guys." I struggled to breathe. "You're squeezing my lungs."

Thankfully, they released me, but Isla popped the question. "Where are the bouquets?"

"They're in Felix's car, which will arrive soon." I furrowed my eyebrows at them. "Why do you keep asking for them?"

"We just want to see your work." Nora had anticipation in her eyes.

"You make the best arrangements!" Olivia exclaimed.

"Here's your dress." Lara passed me the purple, silk material. "We figured you'd be too busy to think about your outfit, so we've organized everything for you."

"Everything?" I echoed.

Isla turned my head towards a small table. "Yeah, all of them are over there on the desk."

"Woah! Is this a strapless bra?" I walked over and picked it up. "How did you know that I don't have one?"

"See? I told you." Nora turned to Lara. "She doesn't."

Lara nodded and gave her a thumbs-up. "Good thing you packed it."

Proud of her achievement, Nora flipped her hair behind her shoulder dramatically, while I pulled the changing screen in front of me to slip on the dress.

Here's a thing: Lara hates the notion of leaving me alone.

"Hurry up, Ally! The groomsmen are ten minutes away."

"For the love of God, Lara!" I yelped. "This is your wedding, not my match-making party. Get it right!"

"I'm not getting married without getting my best friend a decent date." She retorted.

"Right, I'm in the dress." I pushed the changing screen aside. "Now what?"

"Makeup time! Here, sit down." Lara patted on the chair beside her. "Livia, you do her hair."

Olivia nearly shrieked. "Oh, I've been longing to braid your hair!"

"That came out a bit creepy." I raised an eyebrow at her and sat down.

"Sorry..." Olivia laughed awkwardly. "You never let me touch your hair."

"That's true." I nodded.

"Ally, you're a mess." Lara wiped my face. "Did you sleep with your makeup on last night?"

"Yes, thanks for noticing... Ow! Go easy on me, will you? This is my face, not the toilet seat."

Instead of apologizing, Lara just mocked me. "This should teach you a lesson for not caring about your skin."

"It will definitely be memorable," I mumbled and rubbed my skin.

"Oh, you'll thank me." She countered. "I'm going to contour your face now."

"Okay, but don't apply too much blush," I said before sucking in my cheeks.

"I know. You do look like a uakari when your face is heated..." She laughed when she powdered my face. "Now, close your eyes, Ally." And then, she started to apply eyeliner and mascara on my eyes.

When she was done with my right eye, I opened it to glare at her. "Seriously, Lara, you should stop comparing me to a red faced monkey."

"But you do look like one." Her arms shook with her laughter. "Don't worry...I only added a small tint."

All of sudden, Isla yelled. "Oh, no!"

"What?" Lara added her final touches on my lips. "Did I ruin her face?"

"No, Ally looks fantastic..."

"What then?"

"Brad just sent me a message. The groomsmen - they've arrived!"

"Already? Oh, crap!" Lara jumped. "Stand up, Ally. Go to the door!"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh my goodness! Stop being so dramatic."

"Quickly, Ally." Nora opened the door for me. Just when I could find my own balance, Lara made the best move in the world. She pushed me out of the door.

And my face slammed into a person's chest.

"Oh, perfect timing!" Lara giggled.

"Alice, meet Damian."

"Damian, meet Alice."

All I could do was strangle Lara in my mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 33 10
One flower garden. One allergy prone, whiny sixteen year-old boy. Things are bound to not go well. When Will is forced to take his grandma to the Li...
Flower Steps By K

Teen Fiction

1.2K 17 30
Something came to Gisselle, when she suddenly crashed into a car while driving, a guy was there, helping her and trying to heal her. She felt somethi...
9.6K 666 60
Two broken souls, one mutual wedding but a million heart breaks. As a result of breaking up with his longtime girlfriend, Miles Jackson has to nurse...
227K 16.6K 44
"Because every flower has a meaning." She said. "I don't believe it" "But they do, each and every flower in this shop tells us something."; She ins...