Hidden Hearts

By 52Mila52

*This is a fan fiction based off of C. L. Stone's Ghost Bird series. Sang Sorenson is a very perceptive girl... More

Chapter 1. The beginning
Chapter 2. She who sees everything
Chapter 3. She who says it all
Chapter 5. Mr. Blackbourne
AN: Just a quick explanation...
Chapter 6. Gabriel
Chapter 7. Victor
Chapter 8. Kota
Chapter 9. And so it begins... or not?
Chapter 10. She who disappeared like a ghost
Chapter 11. Back to the beginning
Chapter 12. The half-naked girlfriend
Chapter 13. Dead meat
Chapter 14. Group hug!
Chapter 15. Silas
Chapter 16. Storm
Chapter 17. Nathan
Chapter 18. Dogs and bitches
Chapter 19. Grumpy bear
Chapter 20. Dreams and wishes
Chapter 21. First day
Chapter 22. First day part II
Chapter 23. What one does for family
Chapter 24. Sleepover
Chapter 25. First kiss
Chapter 26. Dominatrix?
Chapter 27. Missions and Retribution
Chapter 28. Moving
Chapter 29. Toasts
Author's Note
Chapter 30. The Academy - Aware
Chapter 31. Academy - Present
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33. Fire
Chapter 34. Family
Chapter 35. Bonding
Chapter 36. Academy - Request
Chapter 37. Academy - Inside
Chapter 38. Stalker
Chapter 39. Laying down the law
Chapter 40. When truths come to light
Chapter 41. Shortie!!
Chapter 42. Girls
Chapter 43. Boot camp
Chapter 44. The end

Chapter 4. She who hears everything

11.2K 405 68
By 52Mila52

The next morning Sang finish preparing her lunch, says goodbye to her dad and heads, along with her sister to the front of the house, where they wait for the bus. The two girls stand on the sidewalk without speaking or looking at each other. As if they were strangers. In looks they are nothing alike. In personality much less. Complete opposites.

When the bus arrives, having already collected the other children from their street, they both go inside. Marie sits in one of the seats in the front with her friend Danielle. Sang heads straight to the end of the bus and sits in front of two familiar young boys.

The sounds of children talking and occasionally screaming along with the noise from the bus was very loud, but Sang could still hear a little of what was being said behind her.

"Did they manage... the bottles?"

"Yeah... He don't get drunk this time..."

"Gabe is safe then?"

"Maybe... for now."

Sang knew exactly who Gabe was. He and his other four friends attracted a lot of attention among the girls in their class.

He was a small boy, with brown hair and sad blue eyes that called to her very strongly. Sometimes she found herself daydreaming, much the same way that the other boy, Luke, sometimes did during class, about hugging Gabe tight to her, kissing his brow to make him smile and tell him that "everything is going to be ok".

Except nothing was ok. Not in her house. Probably not in his either.

Arriving at school, Sang awaits for the crowd to descend before coming down from the bus herself. The two boys still behind her continued talking about their private affairs as if she were deaf. Silly boys...

"Your dad is home?"

"No, thank God."

"Good, that's settled then."

They kept on talking and she kept on listening. Information can be very useful, she'd learned that from her older sister, though she had no intention of ill using it like Marie.

Blackmail was bad. She wouldn't resort to it unless she was desperate.

Class went on as usual. Teachers passed a lot of homework, the kids complained and the school bullies were targeted by the five musketeers, again.

Five musketeers is what she'd decided to call the group of five boys her age that went around the school correction the wrongs and exacting revenge discretely. She didn't think anyone else had taken notice of them, for they kept to themselves most of the time. But she saw what they did, she heard them, and she did her best to shield them when possible. They were like her, she knew, children from broken homes trying to fix the lives of others since they couldn't fix their own.

Leaving her class momentarily with the excuse of going to the bathroom she went for a little walk. Meeting Sean and Owen had changed her plans of staying alone throughout her school years. She needed time and space to think and weigh the pros and cons of letting them in.

Passing in front of the school infirmary she hears a couple of familiar voices.

"Well then boys, how is going your mission?" Came the voice of Dr. Roberts, temporary substitute for Nurse Kat.

"Slowly, we still have no clue about who is responsible for the pranks and other strange happenings going on in this school. Thought a pattern is obviously starting to form."

"What do you mean, Sean?"

"It looks like someone is punishing the school bullies and correcting injustices that occur throughout the school."

"And you boys have no idea about who is doing these things?"

"No sir."

"No sir."

"Hummm, we must be very careful with this situation. If your perception is correct Sean, then these are good kids, but some of the things that they are doing are highly illegal. We don't want them to get caught and punished for trying to do the good."

"However they are, sir, they could be good Academy material."

"Indeed Owen, our institution is always ready to accept those that are willing to work to help others."

"They might need some help themselves." Mentioned Sean.

"That will not be a problem, as you boys well know. The Academy is willing to help however needs it."

Interesting...

Going back to class with her head even fuller than before, Sang spend de rest of the morning thinking about what she had just heard and all the repercussions it could have.

The bell rang, signaling the start of recess, Sang made sure to find a place in the courtyard where her sister couldn't see her and sat down with the hopes of meeting again with her two friends.

She knew she shouldn't befriend them because when her mother found out the pain would be immense. But she couldn't resist, there was something about them that made her heart lighter.

She knew she'd need the good memories, they would be her light amid the darkness that was her life. Then maybe someday, when she was strong enough, she'd break free from her cage.

......

Seeing my little Pookie sitting alone, again, in one of the benches in the courtyard, I head over to her.

"Pookie!" I exclaim, startling her. Raising her head from her book she gives the most beautiful smile.

"Sean! Hi!" She blushes prettily.

"Hello there girly! What are you doing here, all alone again?" I question, finding it strange that a pretty girl with such a kind heart such as Sang was alone.

Looking embarrassed and uncertain she responds "Just getting some homework done, so I will have more free time later."

"And your friends didn't want to stay with you?" I asked, half irritated with the little insensitive brats, whoever they are.

She starts stuttering, "Huuummmm... well... err..." and then finishes in a rush, "Ikindadon'thaveanyfriends!" said that she hides behind her book again.

I just stand there, stunned for a few minutes still I noticed how red the tip of her ears, the only thing I could see from behind the book, were getting. She was embarrassed.

"Well Pumpkin, as far as I know you have at least two friends. One incredibly amazing one, namely Me," Giggles explode from behind the book, "though if you wish to change our status to that of "boyfriend and girlfriend" instead of "just friends" I'm perfectly ok with that." more blushing ears, "Of course we would have to be very careful when explaining to Owen, after all he does have a crush in me..."

"SEAN!"

I turn around to find none other than Owen Blackbourne standing behind me with his and on his hips and a look in his eyes that promises murder as soon as we don't find ourselves in polite company. I give him a big smile and a strong hug, raising him from the floor.

"My love! How good of you to grace us with your company!" I exclaim loudly attracting the attention of several people around us, much to Owen's discomfiture. With gritted teeth he practically growls "Put me down, now."

I lower him back to floor and step back quickly to avoid any form of retaliation, though I know he wouldn't never do anything where other people could see. It was too ingrained in him to avoid scenes in public.

Huffing in exasperation and running his hands over his polo shirt in order to appear perfectly put together once again he turns to Sang, who had been watching everything with great amusement, and sits down on the bench beside her.

"Good morning, Miss Sang. I apologize for not being here earlier, I was a little busy." He tells her, while observing the book she had been reading and just put down, with great interest.

"That's perfectly fine, Owen. I do not expect you guys to spend your time with me rather than with your friends." She answers with a small smile.

"Oh, but you should, my darling Miss Sang. The reason why I am late is because I felt the need to return to my classroom in order to retrieve something I brought today specially for you." He tells her with a perfectly straight face, but I could see de devilishness in his eyes clearly. Reaching behind his back, he retrieves a little black photo album from his back pocket. A black photo album that looks eerily familiar. Certainly he wouldn't... Bloody hell, he did!

As Sang accepts the little album from his hands with a great deal de curiosity I open my mouth wide to scream at her to "not look!" only to end up with my mouth filled with a piece of apple. Hummm, yummy. But, really Owen, this is becoming a bad habit...

And then she opens the album...

......

For a couple of minutes I just can't comprehend what I am seeing, and when I do I practically burst in laughter, falling to the side against Owen, who chuckles a bit too. I just can't help it. The photos are from my new and bubbly friend, Sean Green, in several shocking positions while practicing what I believe to be ballet. He is in tights!!

Sean, looking slightly embarrassed starts to explain "The ballet is good to have a good posture, muscle tone and especially improvement in flexibility."

After several tries I finally manage to stop laughing and apologize. "I'm so sorry Sean, that was very rude of me." I tell him sincerely. The ballet could be something important to him, I shouldn't have laughed like that.

Smiling at me, with his face still a little red from embarrassment he answers "It's ok Pookie. The ballet is just something my mother insisted I tried for a little while. I don't practice anymore. You can laugh."

I smile softly at him, only then noticing that I am still leaning against Owen's shoulder. Straightening quickly while blushing like a tomato I almost drop the album on the floor when Owen grabs it and puts it back on his pocket for safekeeping.

"Well, now that we've all had a good laugh at Sean's expense how about you explain to us why is it that you don't have any friends, Miss Sang?" Owen asked me, piercing my very soul with steel grey eyes of his.

"Uh! So you heard that, did you Owen?" I commented unnecessarily, trying to stall for time so I could formulate a good lie. Who am I kidding? I couldn't lie to save my life...

Starting to fidget with tension I look down to my lap, trying to escape his eyes before he can read my mind. I've known him only for one day, but already I can tell that I never will be able to keep anything from Owen Blackbourne. Suddenly hands belonging to different boys appear in front of me and hold my own hands. Raising my eyes I see that Sean is now sitting in my other side and watching me quietly, his usual bubbliness gone.

"Please, trust us Pookie." He says, practically begging.

Looking back at Owen I start to tell them about my life.

......

Holding Miss Sang's hand I can tell how nervous she is, but hope profoundly that she will let me... us in. Yesterday, watching her walk alone by the school, keeping away from everything and everyone I thought something was wrong. Today I was sure. I just did not know how wrong yet.

I wanted to help her, but my training by the Academy taught me to collect all the facts before taking action.

This means that I need this girl to trust me and let me know what I need to fix. Preferably now. Calm down Owen... Patience is a virtue...

Seeing that Sean has convinced her I snap out of my inner pep talk and focus on what she is telling me.

"The reason why I don't have friends is my family. My mother is abusive, my sister is her main accomplice and my father is neglectful."

Well... that was easy, I had thought that she would try to hide or lie to us about her home situation, like most abused children do, never trusting anyone to help them besides themselves... it is also worse than I had expected...

"Would you be more specific Miss Sang?" I ask, trying to get the whole picture.

"Well, what exactly do you want to know?" She asks me nervously. I want to order her to tell me everything, all her pains, all her fears, her interests, I really don't like the shadows in her eyes, they remind me of the ones I still find in my own or Sean's sometimes.

"Why don't you have friends?" I choose to start there, since I feel this information is of utmost importance.

"My mom has told me that I shouldn't bother anyone with my presence, so whenever Marie sees me talking with someone at school she tells our mother and I am punished." Having said that she raises her head and looks around, obviously making sure that her sister isn't around.

"What kind of punishments does she gives you?" I question when her attention returns to me.

"Most of the time it is light stuff. Spend a few hours sitting in a stool, or kneeling in the ground." She let's go of Sean's hand and raises her finger to lips. "Sometimes she hits me, but those are rare. I am also the only one responsible for keeping the house and she sometimes uses it for my punishments by breaking thinks so there will be a lot for me to clean afterwards." She speaks quickly and then falls silent.

"Have you never thought of running away, Pookie? Have you considered seeking help? You can't let them abuse you like that!" Sean exclaims getting agitated while I try to control my own anger at her family. Be professional Owen...

Sang turned back to him and held both his hands in hers. "I did. For a while I thought about calling the police and asking for help. But after doing a lot of research I decided not take the risk. I'm afraid of ending up in a worse house than I am now. Please boys, tell no one what I just told you! I can handle my family."

Touching her shoulder with my fingertips causes her to turn her head in my direction while keeping Sean's hands in hers. Looking in her eyes I see again the shadows and innocence that caught my attention when I first met her, but now they were also filled with pleading, determination and a strength that you would never expect in a girl so tiny and young. She is only ten years old... how can she be so strong? Well... he knew how, children that suffered abuse tended either to become weaker and more withdrawn than others or stronger and mentally older. But God, she was too tiny for this life...

She must have seen the worry in my eyes somehow, even thought I was good in hiding my emotions, for she suddenly gave me a reassuring smile that did nothing to dispel the shadows in her eye or relieve my worrying.

Wanting to make her feel better I readily agreed with her demands, but promised myself that we would find a way to help her. Looking up I met Sean's eyes and saw in them the same determination that I knew showed in mine. Nodding our heads mutely we agreed to help this tiny girl who sat between us and always be there for her.

......

Walking out of the bathroom Sang heard the sound of shouts coming from a corner of the courtyard. Most students should be in class now that recess was over, she was outside merely because she had to go to the bathroom. Deciding to investigate in case that it was the school bullies beating another kid she went down the stairs from the first floor, where her classes generally were and went outside, tiptoeing, trying to keep out of sight. She knew that if she got caught she wouldn't be of much help, as small as she was. She could only help indirectly.

Turning the corner she saw the two boys from that morning arguing back and forth.

"God dammit, Kota! You can't keep doing it, he will kill you someday!"

"Better me than mother or Jessica, Nate! It's my job to protect them!"

"Not by becoming his personal punching bag!"

"I have no choice! You know that!"

"You do! Call the police in the bastard!"

"Shut up Nate! I can't do that! Mother forbid me, afraid that they'd take me and Jessica from her."

"You know they will not Kota! For God's sake, protect your family!"

"I PROTECT MY FAMILY! YOU ARE THE ONE WHO DIDN'T PROTECT YOURS!"

Nathan saw red and punched his best friend in the face, avoiding his glasses thankfully. Once the first punch was throw the boys started to pummel each other. Seeing that they were only hurting each other Sang ran back inside the school and went straight to what she knew was the janitor closed and grabbed a bucket which she filled with water in the bathroom and ran back outside, where the two boys were now fighting in the ground rolling from side to side.

She lifted the bucket and dumped its contents on the heads of the two hotheaded boys.

Sputtering they sprung apart and turned around to face their assailant, only to come face to face with a tiny blonde in pigtails, with her hands in her hips and a scolding expression in her face that reminded they both of Erica, when she caught them being naughty.

"What do you think you're doing? Don't you know that fistfights are for enemies and not friends? Shame on you!" And grabbing each boy by the ear she ignored their protests and hauled both to the school infirmary.

Opening the door she left them to Dr. Roberts tender care and pretends to go back to class, only to stand outside of the infirmary eavesdropping.

"Now, boys, do you two want to tell me what you were doing out of class pummeling each other?"

Silence...

"You realize that you could be suspended for it and your parents notified?"

Having heard enough she turned around and went in search of one of her friends.

Finding them both in the same class she tried to grab their attention trough the little window in the door and call them outside. Almost immediately Sean was standing by her side, in the hallway.

"What is wrong, Pookie?" He asked, sounding concerned.

"I need your help Sean. I just broke a fight between two friends ant took them to the infirmary but I don't want their parents to be called." She pleaded with him, eyes wide and sad in a puppy dog expression.

"You did what, Pookie?" He asked worried, looking her up and down, searching for injury.

"I broke their fight by throwing a bucket of water at them." She answered with a little sassy smirk.

Sean looked stunned for a minute and then burst out laughing, "Un...beli...vable!!" He stuttered between laughter, "You are something else Pookie! I wish I had seen that. Now, tell me why don't you want the parents of these little brats called in." he stared at her with a unusually serious expression on his face.

"I believe they both come from abusive homes Sean, they could get in worse problem. I don't know how to help them. Can you do something?" She begged doing a prefect personification of the Puss in Boot from the film Shrek.

Giving in, so she would be happy, he sent her back to her class before heading to the infirmary, to speak with the doctor.

Arriving at his destination Sean entered the infirmary quietly, taking in the situation before him.

Dr.Roberts was frowning down at his desk, looking deeply unsettled. The two boys were sitting side by side in one of the beds, looking at each other with regret and apologies in their eyes even as they kept quiet and said nothing out loud. Sean also noticed the same shadows in theirs eyes that he hadSeems like Pookie was right, these boys need helping... The bigger question is, how did she know that and why did she ask me to help them? 

AN: This chapter was much larger than the others... I guess I got carried away a little bit... OOpsiee xD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

318K 13.7K 82
This is a Fan fiction of Ghost Bird series. I have had this in my head for a while and was going to upload it to another website and then the complic...
162K 9.1K 22
Your prospects are limited when you don't exist, but Sang Sorenson has been getting by as a cashier in a grocery store after dropping out of high sch...
61.1K 3.5K 38
Sang Sorenson is a girl going through heartbreak. Everything was going perfectly, but the moment she let her guard down, that was the moment she rem...
31.3K 2.3K 17
**COMPLETED** Sang Sorenson has finally found her pack. She has finally found a home. She is excited to be going to high school with the others but w...