The Necromancer Trilogy: Prop...

By Tess-Di-Inchiostro

Since the Dark Ages, the world of magic has been carefully concealed from mortal eyes. Yet that careful world... More

Prologue
Chapter One - Face At The Window
Chapter Two - The Day Started Out Normal...
Chapter Three - Celia Karn
Chapter Four - The Great Library, The Night Princess, and Chrysanthemum Bone
Chapter Five - Are You Arrogant, Angry or Afraid?
Chapter Six - Of Bicycles and Death Sentences
Chapter Seven - Your First Prison Break?
Chapter Eight - Bastard Cruel
Chapter Nine - The Invisible Tala Swallow
Chapter Ten - A Boy Named Bluebird
Chapter Eleven - When It All Began To Go Wrong...
Chapter Twelve - Escaping....Mostly
Chapter Thirteen - Life Is An Inferior Prologue
Chapter Fourteen - Torture and Milkshake
Chapter Fifteen - Insane Plans and Insane People
Chapter Sixteen - Painful Memories
Chapter Seventeen - Blood-Bound
Chapter Eighteen - Shadows
Chapter Nineteen - Celia Sends Her Regards
Chapter Twenty-One - "I Cannot Have Been This Unlucky"
Chapter Twenty-Two - Zombies
Chapter Twenty-Three - The Traveller Is Afraid
Chapter Twenty-Four - Black Magic Screams and the Kiss of Death
Chapter Twenty-Five - The Council of Elders and Holiday Doughnuts
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty - The Voice In The Shadows

489 34 6
By Tess-Di-Inchiostro

“My lord,” Emblem Blacktouch bowed. “My lord.”

“My…servant,” the voice from the shadows was full of amusement. “The time is ripe to make our move. The Night Princess has failed them. She betrayed their trust.”

“The High Priest,” Blacktouch gulped. “The High Priest suffered death to help her escape.”

“Ah, yes,” the voice chuckled softly. “Dear, honourable Leander. So powerful and yet so…pedantic, irritating. He thought that the words of the oath changed the meaning, that I would not be clever enough to work round that.”

“He favoured her,” Blacktouch said, carefully. “His opinion means a lot.”

“So does his power,” the voice snapped. “And he is dead. People are gullible, Blacktouch, even Necromancers. You know what they’ll think? They’ll think, the Princess killed our great priest. She murdered him who defended her.”

Blacktouch smiled slowly. “You are right, of course, my lord.”

“Yes. I am. Now…what more news?”

Blacktouch’s smile vanished. “The Karn girl escaped.”

“She is no major threat.”

“Forgive me, my lord, but I believe that….”

“You believe many things, Blacktouch. You always did. But sweet Miss Karn is far more predictable than you suppose, and far easier to manipulate.”

“Very well,” Blacktouch conceded. “Your judgement is, as always, my law.”

“However….this means that your little one failed you.”

“My lord!” Blacktouch cried, “I beg you! There were…unforeseen complications!”

“She lives?”

“She lives.”

“Then she shall serve until she dies. She failed me once. Let her know for sure that she may not do it again.”

“Most merciful lord,” Blacktouch grovelled.

“So…” the voice-in-the-shadows continued. “Our little Princess travels with the sweet Miss Karn. Who else protects her? Not the Society fools, but who else makes up their little rebel band?”

Blacktouch blustered. “No one of great importance. There is a young girl, strange face, elemental…”

“The dear Miss Swallow,” shadow-voice agreed. “She is no great threat. Powerful, but young and inexperienced. Who else?”

“Some boy with gelled hair, a Traveller. Bluebird Last, I think.”

“How intriguing,” the voice mused. “Such unusual companions for a princess. A reckless traveller boy, an inexperienced and flighty elemental, a rebellious outlaw now reformed….and, of course, the delightful Miss Bone.”

“Yes,” Blacktouch agreed. “Miss Bone is a threat, even if the rest are not.”

Shadow-voice laughed. “Miss Bone has a long and complicated history. There are many parts of it she would not wish to be placed in the spotlight. She will not be hard for me to blackmail.”

“There are two more, my lord,” Blacktouch frowned. “One is a young man. He is….Society, I think. Maria says….”

“Maria says many things and little of them are of any use,” shadow-voice snapped. “However…if he is Society, he can be dealt with.”

“We don’t know what kind of magic he has,” Blacktouch warned. “He may be capable of anything.”

“I doubt it very much. Yet if he is Society…what is he doing in the company of our darling Princess? It’s rather vexing…”

“If I may venture an opinion?” Blacktouch hesitated.

“Do share your views,” shadow-voice said, generously.

“I believe it has something to do with Karn.”

“Many things do,” the shadow-voice had a smile to it. “But nonetheless, he will have Society ways. A Society mind is easily turned.”

Blacktouch bobbed a little bow. “And another….a young girl…about the same age as the Swallow creature. She’s strange, for sure, and very….familiar.”

“Do not waffle, Blacktouch,” shadow-voice growled. “Say what you are hinting at.”

“I believe she is Eleanor, your lordship,” Blacktouch ducked his head, cowering, awaiting a bolt of rage.

“Eleanor, you say?”

The voice was full of curiosity and contemplation rather than anger.

“Y-yes, my lord.”

“Eleanor…well, well, well. Fancy her reappearing on the scene. Well, indeed. Oh, yes.”

The voice sounded quite pleased with itself, as if its dog had just done an unexpected but very good trick.

“Is that all?” it added.

“Yes, my lord,” Blacktouch bowed. “That is all.”

“Very well,” shadow-voice growled. “Send me Phocas and Gain. Then return to your watch. I have plans.”

“Should we not attack?”

“No,” the voice smiled. “No, let us wait.”

“They have the book, my lord,” Blacktouch protested.

“I do not need the book to know the prophecy. I learnt it long ago, as was my right! And let the little Princess try to decipher the clues of the book while fending off enemies. No, let her read the prophecy. Let her fear.”

Blacktouch smiled smugly. “My lord, I take my leave.”

“Yes. Oh, Blacktouch, my faithful servant? Send your darling daughter to me. She must learn the price of failure.”

“My Lord Legion!” Blacktouch cried. “You….she is just…”

“Go! Or you, too, shall feel the pain!”

Blacktouch fled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
266K 10.3K 32
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚
28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
283K 13.7K 61
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...