Blanca Like Snow

By BelWatson

As someone who's been so pampered to the point of oblivion, I never noticed the similarities with the fairy-t... More

Before reading!
Prologue - Unexpected Fairy-tale
Chapter 1 - Businesspeople
Chapter 2 - Nora Park
Chapter 3 - Laura
Chapter 4 - Charades
Chapter 5 - Nameless
Chapter 6 - Memories
Chapter 7 - Discreet
Chapter 8 - Coverup
Chapter 9 - The Dream House
Chapter 10 - Surprise!
Chapter 11 - Monster
Chapter 12 - Hater
Chapter 13 - Trauma
Chapter 15 - Scores
Chapter 16 - Languages
Chapter 17 - Weirdo
Chapter 18 - Similar
Bonus content: Talking to goats
Bonus Scene: Laura
Chapter 19 - Legally Dead
Chapter 20 - Frustrating
Bonus Content: Fragile
Chapter 21 - Wrong Tale
Chapter 22 - Mud War
ANOUNCEMENT!
Chapter 23 - Irony
Chapter 24 - Closer
Bonus Content: Cute
Chapter 25 - Hide & Seek
Chapter 26 - Penalty
Bonus Content: Crushing So Hard
Chapter 27 - Acceptance
Chapter 28 - Worst
Chapter 29 - Humiliation
Chapter 30 - Passion
Chapter 31 - Eco-friendly
Chapter 32 - First Kiss
Chapter 33 - New Year's
Chapter 34 - Future Marriage
Chapter 35 - Nature
Chapter 36 - Darkness
Chapter 37 - Desperation
Chapter 38 - Regret
Chapter 39 - Statements
Bonus content: Shattering
Chapter 40 - Failure
Chapter 41 - Getting back on your feet
Chapter 42 - Goodbyes
Chapter 43 - First Round
Chapter 44 - Statement
Chapter 45 - My Fight
Chapter 46 - Busy, so Busy
Chapter 47 - New Ally
Chapter 48 - Trial
Chapter 49 ~ Unfair Trade
Chapter 50 - Hiatus
Epilogue - Ongoing Happy Ending

Chapter 14 - Recovery

10.2K 849 158
By BelWatson

      I go alone when I'm called into the doctor's consultation, however Nora helps me to the door so I don't make such effort to move around. Doctor Kendrick, the same doctor that explained to me what happened and to Louise and has been around since I got in this hospital, smiles brightly when I get in and even helps me to sit down.

"How are you doing? Much trouble with the casts?"

"Getting used to them," I reply easily with a smile.

I was told that these appointments are mostly routine, just to make sure I'm doing okay and no one has hurt me as well. To check everything is in order, the stitches are healing well and I don't have any complication after the surgery for the internal bleeding.

"That's good. I hope you're taking things slowly. You know you can't move much." I nod my head because I am aware of that. I know I'm healing and if I want to do it fast, I have to be careful. "Good, then let's take a look to make sure everything is okay."

I nod my head and then follow her to lay down so she can see the stitches from the surgery and make sure everything is healing properly. It's the usual routine, the same basic scan she did the first time I came last week and the same she'll do for the following four.

At some point her hands are on my ribs, doing careful pressure but I immediately hiss in pain. She stops moving and makes this sound with her tong, clearly indicating something is wrong or unusual.

"Hm," she hums. "This isn't healing how it should be. Are you sure you're taking things slowly? You didn't go running or did some unnecessary effort?" she questions me and I shake my head because I've been careful, Nora has been even more careful.

"Everything how you said." But then I remember what happened last night with Will. I didn't give it much thought, aside from an almost accident. "Oh," I mumble. "I almost tripped last night and someone caught me. My cast got caught between us and it hurt, because he had to wrap his arm around me so he squeezed my ribs... but I didn't think much of it."

"Hm," she mumbles again, carefully examining my ribs. I try not to flinch when she presses them, but it's hard. "It's not terrible but it did some damage. With your fractured ribs, something like that can throw back a week's healing at least. I'm assuming he had to use strength to hold you, but the damage would probably be worse if he didn't do that." She helps me sit down again and looks me in the eyes. "They are just a bit bruised, to put it simply, so be extra careful that it doesn't happen again."

"Will do," I promise.

She makes me take deep breathes as she presses the stethoscope to hear my lungs to know if there's some fluid that needs to be drained, and then makes sure to hear other parts of my body. I have no idea how they must sound, but she doesn't look like there's something wrong going on.

"That's good, no more harm than to your ribs seem to have happened," she reassures me. "So keep being careful and if you have the slightest discomfort, if it's hard breathing of you feel dizzy, contact me immediately." I nod my head. "Aside from that, all going well. Next week we'll run some X-rays to see how the healing process of your broken bones is going."

"Got it," I confirm and then she smiles brightly, helping me out of the stretcher and back to the chair.

She makes more questions, whether I'm hurting or if I have trouble sleeping. I normally don't, having Nora next to me helps, and any pain is bearable, yet she gives me a new prescription just in case I cannot manage the discomfort. With my ribs after Will's catch, she told me to take some medication for the pain just so I can move more easily and without flinching. I have to admit it's been hard today, but I thought it was because the lack of sleep and the nightmare in the van.

After some more minor details, I am free to go and meet with Nora, Sammy and Will that have been waiting for me.

"How did it go?" Nora immediately asks.

"All is well, except for my ribs that are a bit sore." I don't want to make Will feel like this is his doing, I know he didn't do it on purpose. After I've cooled my head, I know he was just trying to help. "When Will saved me from falling, the catch bruised them up a bit as they are more fragile now that they are healing."

I tried not to make it sound like it was his fault, but I can see his eyes widening when he realises the consequences of our argument. It wasn't just emotional pain, that also lead to worsening my ribs current condition.

"But she said it could've been worse if he didn't catch me," I hurry to say, which is completely true. "It isn't that terrible and she gave me prescriptions for the pain and to speed up the healing. That aside, everything seems to be going well. No need to drain any fluids from my lungs, so it wasn't that bad."

"If someone hugs you too tightly they can hurt you?" Sammy asks, tilting her head to the left, looking like she's thinking about this very deeply.

"If the arms are wrapped around my ribs, yes. But if it's around my shoulders, then it wouldn't be that bad. But if you hug me really tight, even when I'm fine it'd hurt, so control that strength, okay?" I smile brightly at her so she doesn't feel like I'm scolding her.

"Yes, sir!" she replies enthusiastically, making me chuckle. "I mean, ma'am."

"That's better," I pat her head lightly, ruffling her hair before I turn to focus on Nora. "Let's pick the prescription and go home? I didn't sleep properly last night and I'm tired."

Nora nods and we move to pick the prescription and then finally head to the Dream House. Will doesn't say anything in the whole ride and I guess that's fine, we don't really need to have a conversation. I don't fall asleep during the ride, fearful to have the nightmare again, so Sammy makes conversation to keep me awake until we're back home.

It's funny how the Dream House already feels like home, and I'm pretty sure it isn't just because Nora is with me.

A few minutes before we arrive, Nora receives a call so when Will parks, she can't really help me get out. Sammy has the crutch and she wants to, but Will is faster and stronger, so he's the one helping me. I don't hesitate too much to accept his hands in this occasion, after having apologised I'm doing my best not to hold a grudge and just keep the normal and proper distance between two people that can't stand each other.

Once I have my crutch and Sammy next to me, I head back inside the big house.

"Blanca," he calls when I'm like four steps away. I turn to look at him over my shoulders, my eyebrows raised in a questioning manner.

He looks at Sammy, as if asking for some privacy and she nods without asking anything, turning on her heels and running, not back inside the house but to the barns, probably to see the animals.

"I'm sorry," he mumbles then, taking two steps towards me.

"You already said that," I remind him, turning to face him properly. It hurts less to stand properly that twist my body like that. "No need to repeat yourself."

"I mean for your ribs. I didn't mean to hurt you and I should've been more careful. I didn't know you... well, that your ribs were fractured."

"You wouldn't have even remembered when you saw me about to fall. You know the doctor said it could've been worse if you hadn't caught me, so don't get worked up about that. It isn't that serious."

"Still, I'm sorry. You've had trouble walking today because of it."

"I have trouble walking since the accident. It's not your fault so stop apologising. I thank you for catching me and stopping me from maybe breaking yet another bone."

He presses his lips tightly and looks away for a second. Even if I'm trying to reassure him it's okay and that he has no reason to apologise, my voice is so cold and detached that he probably doesn't feel reassured or at ease. But I can't use the same tone I use with anyone else when I'm talking to him. We did apologise and all, but there's a tangible animosity between us that won't disappear because we said sorry.

"Anyhow, know I didn't mean to harm you and I'm sorry. And Nora probably told you, but I'm going to sign that confidentiality agreement and keep quiet. I won't tell anyone who you are or that you're here. I'll even play along to your amnesia coverup."

I just raise my eyebrows. I know Nora convinced him so I don't really know why he's telling me this.

"She said that if I care so much about the world and helping others, then I should also protect you. You're a person and don't deserve to be threatened. Just staying quiet will do, and that's not hard."

For a second I want to remark how it must be hard for him to see me as a person when I'm clearly a monster for him, but I don't want to bring that back. I think it's still too fresh not to hold a grudge, but I manage to hold myself back.

"You can rest assure, you'll be safe here."

I nod my head, a small gesture to show my appreciation for his cooperation. "Thank you."

He seems uncomfortable, looking everywhere, almost as if he were desperate to find an excuse but nothing shows, so I click my tongue to get his attention.

"I'll try to stay out of your way so we can have a peaceful coexistence here. Now I'll go inside, I'm really tired."

He just nods his head and I turn around to head back inside. Nora comes running then to catch up with me.

"Did you fight with Will again?" she asks me and I shake my head as we walk together.

"He was apologising and saying he'll stay quiet. Civilised conversation."

"That's good," she comments. "He's not a bad guy once he's not screaming or insulting you, and the kids really love him. He's awfully nice to them." I click my tongue at that, because even if I saw him with Sammy today, it's hard to conceive that mental picture in my head when I have seen his worst side. "As long as you don't go fighting, everything will be fine."

"Yeah," I agree absentmindedly. "Who called you, by the way?" I ask to change the topic. It doesn't taste well to keep talking about Will.

"Oh, it was Mum to check on us and to tell me she sent the confidentiality agreement for Will, so I need to print it and get him to sign it."

"Good. How's everything going on there?"

"Same old. As your case hasn't been closed, having two teams working in parallel is not useful and she's having trouble keeping the one helping us investigating. She's considering to hire private investigators."

"As long as Laura doesn't find out I'm here and alive, then I guess we're safe."

We arrive to the house and Nora opens the door so we can walk in. "Mum says one of the shareholders came to see Laura today, and she fears she'll start talking to them to arrange things in case you show up, or in the favourable case for them that you don't."

"Until when do I have to stay here?" I question out loud, trying to know a definite period of time. I'm starting to want to go there and confront them all, tell them I'm alive and won't let them take what's rightfully mine.

"Until your birthday is the safest. There's a few months until then and it will let us know what they are planning exactly to prepare better." I hum my agreement. "It'll be all right."

"Yes," I agree. "It'll be all right, I can do this." Nora turns to look at me and when our eyes meet she smiles brightly.

"Of course, they just can't get rid of Blanca Escobar."

I smile back, knowing there's still a long wait before I can come back, but I need to recover first and fully understand what's going on, discover who's behind my attack and how to fight them back. All that needs time and I'm safe here. First things first, I need to heal and have a full recovery. Then I can take care of the rest, my health is first now.

❅ ❅ ❅

Hi there! I'm sorry I didn't update yesterday. Friday went by too fast and I didn't have time to open my laptop.

Dedication to AREEJ9497 for the love and support to this story. Thank you for your comments.

Bel, xx

~updates every Monday and Friday~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

924K 27.4K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...
1.1M 83.1K 48
Let's get the facts straight. I am no heroine and I will never bring pride to my family. I am what you could call a failure. My grades? Average. My s...
147K 3.9K 29
"ʏᴏᴜ ᴍᴀʏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴍʏ ꜱᴛᴏʀʏ, ʙᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴍᴇ. ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴍᴇ ᴀꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱɪꜱᴛᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ꜱɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜɪᴛᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴍᴀʀʀɪᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇʀ ʜᴜꜱʙᴀɴᴅ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ɴ...
5.8K 315 45
Emma Carter was a woman with a plan - a plan to weave her way up the ladder of success in the fashion world, to create a life that was as seamless as...