Desperation

By Wings_of_Fate

Desperation is a state of despair, one that results in rash and extreme behaviour. It is what we resort to i... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
Epilogue

6

12.6K 399 184
By Wings_of_Fate

Chapter six: Gala

10.23.1944

"Curls or no curls" Lois questioned as she took a bunch of Hermione's hair in her hand.

"Curls. But. I look-"

"Amazing so shut up and let me finish." Lois scolded.

Hermione sighed and let the girl fix her hair, after she put a diamond necklace around her neck as the finishing touch. She really didn't want to go to the Gala but she didn't want to disappoint Philip either, especially since he's been such a great friend to her.

"There you look amazing." Lois commented.

Hermione and Lois met up with
Philip in the common room, and they were about to leave when Harold called to them. He came rushing out of the boys dorm and smiled at them.

"Where's your date?" Lois questioned Harold. He blushed scarlet before answering.

"She's meeting me down at the dungeon."

Philip laughed at Harold who rolled his eyes. "Come on Hermione" Philip said softly taking her hand.

They left Gryffindor tower and headed towards the dungeons.

"You look lovely by the way," he told her as they entered Slughorn's private quarters too see the usual slug club members. She noticed that a few professors were standing around like Dumbledore, Merrythought and Dippet.

"Ah, Miss Granger and Mr. Lovegood as well," Dumbledore called as he walked up to them.

"Hello professor" Hermione greeted back.

He began to talk to Lovegood to which Hermione tuned him out. She looked around the room again too see there were a plenty of Slytherins a few Ravenclaws and a few Gryffindors. Her gaze then travelled to a man wearing complete black clothing and a very pale complexion talking to Slughorn. She then realised that he was a vampire.

Her eyes traveled farther in the room and that's when she spotted him. Tom Riddle stood brooding in the corner, with a silver goblet in hand. What shocked her was that he was utterly alone. Their eye met from the distance and she received an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach.

"Go to him." Philip said gently looking down at her with a small sad smile.

"No-I don't want to l-"

"It's fine I'll go find Harold," Philip said before giving her one last smile before leaving.

Hermione stood there for a few seconds feeling completely rude for just leaving Philip to go to Tom. She reluctantly turned around and made her way through the crowd of people. Hermione finally made it over to Tom, approaching him slowly. His eyes locked on hers as she finally stood in front of him.

"You look well." Tom admitted his eyes still focused intently on her own. Hermione was stunned by his compliment.

"Uh-thank you Ri-"

"Back to last names I see." He said raising a brow.

"Why are you over here all by yourself?" she questioned softly ignoring his previous comment.

"I prefer the isolation, not many can hold my interest too long." He replied taking a drink from his goblet.

Hermione started to feel uneasy at the way he was looking at her. She wondered if he was even the slightest bit suspicious about her or if he knew that she's been trying to figure out a way to stop him from creating another Horcrux. She suddenly felt a presence within her mind and knew immediately that it was Tom's, it was the first time he tried Legilimens on her. A brief flash of frustration flitted his features before his always passive mask took over.

She had put up her barriers with ease before he entered, even though she wasn't skilled occulumens, she still had the basic skills to block anyone from seeing certain memories.

They stared each other down for a moment before Hermione sighed and took his arm, pulling his hand out of his pocket and then taking his goblet, setting it down. He didn't even protest as she led him through the crowd and into the middle of the room. A slow song was playing, she carefully laid his hand on her hip and held his other while he watched her with amused eyes.

They began slowly dancing, Hermione could feel Tom's eyes on her as she glanced around the room. She timidly looked up and locked eyes with him, multiple emotions swirled in his dark eyes but she couldn't decipher any.

They were a mere breath away when they heard a arrogant voice sound from behind them.

"How sweet, your dancing with the pathetic Gryffindor." Abraxas drawled arrogantly.

"Hold your tongue" Tom suddenly snarled, much to Hermione's surprise. "Or you'll lose it." He whispered.

Abraxas seemed very surprised at the dark lords sudden foul snap and quickly bowed his head. Hermione shivered when she glanced up to see Alecto and Amycus Carrow glaring heatedly at her. Tom's grip on her hip unconsciously tightened.

Hermione was disgusted by the fact she was a mere breathe away from kissing the dark lord.

"I apologise for that." Tom said unexpectedly as his death eaters scurried away. "Malfoy always seems to like to try my patience."

Hermione gaped at him. He'd hadn't apologised ever to her.

"It's f-fine" she replied.

Tom simply looked at her with a blank expression. "I believe it's getting late if you'd excuse me, I'll be retiring to my dorm." Tom said before nodding curtly at Hermione and walking towards the exit. Hermione sighed at his sudden behaviour and decided to enjoy the rest of the Gala with Philip and her friends.

•••

Hermione sat on her bed with a book curled up against her. She had left the Gala an hour early, her friends were still down in the dungeons.

She sat up and quickly walked over to her chest, to draw out a piece of paper and a quill, she started to write slowly.

Dear, Tom

           Thank you for the dance tonight, it was very fun. I was wondering since we are to be partner's for our potion project, that we should get to know each other a bit better. Thank you by the way for the roses, that was very kind of you also thank you for saving me, if you weren't there I would've been...well you know. Any ways please write back as soon as you can.

                    -Hermione

Hermione smiled down at the note and put it carefully in an envelope before calling for Derby, Lois's black spotted owl. She quickly tied the note to its leg and gave the owl its direction. She watched it fly out the window before fading away.

Not soon after did she receive a reply back. A large dark brown owl tapped at her window, she opened it and fed it a morsel before taking the note off its leg.

Dear Granger,

         Do you know what time it is? It's bloody midnight! I find this quite ridiculous, if you want you really want to 'get to know each other' , meet me in the library tomorrow . 

                    TR

Hermione rolled her eyes and took out another fresh parchment and began to write.

Dear Tom,

          I fully am aware that it's midnight, your going to need so much more beauty sleep so I'll cut it short. I will meet you at the library tomorrow at 10 sharp, I'd like to start our potions research. Anyways Goodnight Tom.

                     Hermione

She sent the letter off and laid down back on her bed. A few minutes later Lois burst into the room.

"Oh hey, you still up?" She questioned.

Suddenly there was a tap on the window, Hermione shot up and took the note from the familiar large dark owl.

"Was that Riddle's owl?" Lois inquired her face lighting up. "Oh my god! Your having a midnight chat with him aren't you!!" She squealed.

"Hush Lois you'll wake up everyone." Hermione scolded, Lois closed her mouth but was still beaming.

Dear Insufferable Hermione,

            Very clever of you Granger. I'll meet you in the library . Good night.

                 TR

Lois squealed loudly from behind Hermione's shoulder. She rolled her eyes at the girls antics before getting ready for bed.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

176K 4.8K 11
Harry Potter is dead. For real. And only Hermione can save him... It's her job to go back in time to when Tom Riddle was 16 and stop him killing Harr...
3.1K 92 5
Hermione Granger x Tom Riddle Time travel fix-it Everyone knows what happens to Tom Riddle who grew up unloved and lonely. He split his soul in chase...
49.1K 429 64
Synopsis Lord Voldemort taken Hermione Granger has his prisoner by distancing and in hope to create a love relationship. As the years tick backwa...
54K 1.1K 16
TOMIONE/DRAMIONE FANFICTION (EDITING) __________ The world has gotten darker ever since Lord Voldemort's return was confirmed, and Harry Potter must...