Dragon At Heart

By latelydifferent

This story belongs to Identical Gemini on fanfiction.net Id like to continue the story where the author stopp... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 16

79 5 2
By latelydifferent

16. Blame Game

Zuko, where are you?

Iroh was standing at the rail of the ship. It was still anchored at the same harbor where he and Zuko had left it when they'd gone out 'on a scouting trip for the Avatar'. As much as Iroh would rather have been out somewhere looking for his nephew, he knew that this was where Zuko would come looking for him.

Although there was little left to be done as far as preparations for their next journey were concerned, most of the crew was busy doing something, whether it be going through inventory or polishing the ship. Oddly enough, the discipline appeared to be no less strict in his nephew's absence. Iroh could understand why.

Even if Zuko hadn't exactly made an effort to befriend his crew, after having spent three years on the same ship, they had grown into a rather tight team. Now the men worried, and not just for the lecture they would get if Prince Zuko came back and found his ship in less than adequate condition.

Doing anything was better than sitting around wondering when or if Prince Zuko would come back at all.

Iroh was sure that if Zuko had left by his own free will, he would eventually return. When he's ready sorting out whatever it is that he needs to sort out.

To be honest, Iroh genuinely wished Zuko wasn't trying come to grips with all his problems at once. He had no doubt that, in the end, his nephew would find his way and grow into the handsome prince he was always meant to be. He just wasn't there yet.

Zuko still carries heavy burdens in his heart. If he is trying to figure out everything at once, this could be a long wait.

The truly nagging thing was that Iroh couldn't be absolutely sure Zuko had left voluntarily. If that was the case...

The morning had been misty, but the last of the moist hanging over the sea had cleared away hours ago. Now it was in every aspect a beautiful day. Perfect for firebending practice.

Iroh sighed quietly.

Please come home soon.

"Sir", Lieutenant Jee bowed before moving on to the actual point, "There's someone here to see you."

Although the lieutenant had a perfectly admirable poker face adequate to the needs of a military officer, Iroh had tuned reading people into a form of art. Thus Jee's body language and tone of voice told him more than just the man's words.

It's no one I'd want to see, but someone powerful enough that saying 'no' is off the table. Certainly not Zuko finally returning from his adventure.

Iroh nodded. He had a strong feeling he knew exactly who had finally decided to honor them with a personal visit.

Iroh had enough time to wipe any traces of disappointment from his face before Commander Zhao came into his view. The old man wasn't surprised to see that the commander hadn't waited for an invitation to come on board.

On the contrary. He walks in here like he owns the place.

In a matter of fact, Zhao didn't in any ways own the ship. The crew was a different topic, one which Iroh suspected Zhao was aware of but one that neither was likely to bring up in this conversation.

"General Iroh", Zhao greeted. Apparently the man had chosen to ignore Uncle's earlier request to be considered a retired general. Probably not so much out of respect but rather because calling the Fire Lord's brother just Iroh would've sounded oddly... friendly.

"Commander Zhao", Iroh greeted as coldly as he could, "What do I owe the pleasure?"

Zhao looked ever-so-casually around himself before answering: "As much as I enjoy your company, I didn't come here for tea. I'm here to see your nephew."

Of course you're here for my nephew. Maybe the world really is out to get him.

Iroh had no intentions of giving Zhao any information on Zuko's whereabouts or doings. That, however, wasn't the same as wanting to get rid of the commander as soon as possible. On the contrary.

If you could prove me or my nephew were involved in anything illegal, you would've brought more men with you. No, this visit is purely social in nature. You're here to spy on us. Well, two can play that game.

"I'm sorry to inform you that Prince Zuko isn't here right now."

"Is that so? May I inquire where he's gone?"

Iroh had known this question was coming. He had his answer ready, but the real gist of selling a lie was making it sound like you were lying, but in a way that made people guess wrong what you wre lying about. If he wanted Zhao to believe Zuko was out looking for the Avatar that was the last thing he should say.

"Uh, well, I'm not entirely sure. You know what kids that age are like. Coming and going whenever they feel like, not telling their old Uncle anything", Iroh said, scratched the back of his head and smiled like a man hiding something, "He could be back any minute. Tea while you're waiting?"

ooo

Zuko knew what he had to do. His life was usually full of shades of gray, but this situation was appreciatively black and white.

Toph saved the day and casualties were avoided but that doesn't mean the people responsible should get away with what they've done. Who's to say they won't try again?

For a moment all Zuko could see was red. It felt like the blood in his veins was on fire. His whole body shook in waves of rage he was attempting to rein in.

How dared someone attempt to murder his people? The villagers were clearly civilians! Anyone could see that this place had no military significance.

Zuko would make them pay. But first he'd have to calm himself down, or he might end up doing something he'd later regret.

Right now Zuko couldn't really think of a punishment so severe he'd later regret having given it, but perhaps later he would. So he needed to calm down first. It was what Uncle would have made him do if the old man was here.

Gradually, steadying himself breath by breath, Zuko got hold of his anger. He focused his mind, and his surroundings cleared out. Toph was still standing next to him. She was calmly waiting, clearly letting him have a moment. Surprisingly clever behavior considering how little the girl had actually seen the world. Figuratively speaking.

Only now Zuko realized the mental link to Toph he'd earlier formed to assist her in stopping the tidal wave was still on. Quickly Zuko composed himself, making sure no data was being transmitted to either direction. From experience Zuko knew that whenever he was taken over by strong emotions his control over the Power of Dragons weakened, making it hard for him to read or emit anything other than emotions.

Zuko had not actively attempted to convey his feelings to Toph, but as he had not been actively focusing onnot emitting his feelings, Toph had probably more or less felt his little moment of inner turmoil back there. Zuko hated how vulnerable and exposed that made him feel. However, Toph didn't appear scared or judgmental.

Instead she nodded and said: "Lead the way."

Zuko nodded back. He'd have time to worry over his carelessness later. Now it was time for action.

But first, he had to let Toph know the full extent of the situation.

The village... Fire Nation. Problem? He cautiously asked. Zuko thought Toph most likely hadn't had time to analyze the village she'd saved long enough to determine it's country of origin (or even if such a thing could be determined by using your feet).

Zuko had wanted to show the village and the wave to her, but he hadn't. Toph seemed to have had a clears enough understanding of the situation, and adding images to that would have most likely been more a distraction than an asset.

The previous time's Zuko had shown her mental pictures it had blown the young earthbender away, causing her to loose focus. Thus, Zuko hadn't shown Toph the village or its flaming red colors. She probably still had no ides what type of mess she was really getting herself into.

Toph nodded. For a moment she was quiet; probably thinking it through, and Zuko didn't interrupt her. Faster than Zuko had anticipated, she continued: "So? Last I checked nationality was no excuse for a massacre."

That hadn't stopped the Fire Nation from wiping out the Air Nomads... Zuko would have liked to tell himself it wasn't the same thing.

Toph braced herself, looking confident, even cocky: "Which way did the arrow come from?"

Zuko let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. It apparently didn't bother Toph that she was assisting enemies. Were all female earthbenders this... unusual? Not only had Toph miraculously saved the day, she also didn't appear as, well, anti-Fire Nation as one might expect.

The arrow came from a tree. Jump on board. I'll hunt him.

"More flying? Great", Toph rolled her eyes, "Fine, but I was just thinking: can't you show me what you see, you know, like you did the day we met, so that I don't have to go into a battle blind?"

Zuko shook his head. He had considered that possibility earlier, too, but had decided against it.

Need to focus on flying, Zuko responded.

It was at least partially the truth. Zuko had not been a dragon for very long and flying was surprisingly tricky to master. Part of it came naturally, like he'd been flying all his life, but not all of it. Especially when carrying a passenger Zuko had to make a conscious effort to fly straight and not drop anyone.

On the other hand, showing what you were seeing right now wasn't incredibly difficult, so Zuko might have been able to achieve that and flying simultaneously. But he chose not to. Showing images was but a heartbeat away from showing thoughts, and Zuko wasn't sure he could keep those the two separate when he wasn't fully focused on keeping his mental link in check.

Toph trusted him enough to let him take her to places she couldn't see. Zuko knew it wasn't fair of him not to meet Toph's trust halfway and grant her the ability to see. Still, he couldn't do it.

Whenever Zuko trusted, whenever he opened up, he ended up getting hurt. Every time. So he didn't.

Toph grimaced, but nodded. Zuko bent his front legs to allow Toph to clime back on his back. She positioned herself at the foot of his wings, holding on to his neck for support.

Zuko flew up as steadily as he knew how. He scanned the canopy of the near-by stretch of forest. That was where the arrow had come from.

Zuko floated high above the scenery, looking intently for the archer that had set off the explosives. He was already beginning to think the culprit had escaped, but then Zuko saw him. Someone jumping down from a tree. Someone with a quiver.

Ha!

In a flash Zuko swooped down, crashed through the canopy and landed atop the archer, pinning the boy in place with his front paws. And a boy he truly was: much yonger than Zuko had anticipated.

Zuko growled and flashed his white teeth. The boy looked too shocked to know how to react.

"Next time: you're going to give me the heads upbefore doing that!" Toph sounded upset, but she still moved quickly and decisively. She jumped down, oriented herself and turned to looked at Zuko's prey with her milky eyes.

"No other people around. Well, none touching the ground, anyways. Can't voach for all the trees though", Toph informed Zuko.

She turned to the archer: "You're the idiot that just tried to massacre a village? If you are, you better come clean now. I don't think my friend here has patience for lies."

Toph nodded her head towards Zuko when saying the word "friend", causing the silent archer's eyes widen in surprise. It seemed the boy couldn't still quite believe he'd been attacked by a dragon and a blind midget.

Although normally Zuko, too, preferred to give suspects a change to defence themselves orally before checking the truth from their minds, he, indeed, had no patience right now. So he focused, took a breath and created a mental link.

The boy, Longshot, was a 'freedomfighter'. His leader, Jet, had orchestrated the destruction of the dam with the intent of making any Fire Nation citicens living in the village pay for the actions of their countrymen. But Jet couldn't have done it alone. Not without help from... the Avatar.

Zuko felt numb.

The Avatar had almost killed a town full of people. Of course that hadn't been the Air Nomad's intent: Jet had fooled him into it. Still, that would have made no difference to the dead.

This was Jet's fault, and he would pay for his crimes. But the fault wasn't Jet's alone: it was also the Avatar's, and Zuko's.

No one who had met Prince Zuko could deny he really wanted to capture the Avatar. However, now it was due time Zuko looked more closely at his motivations for wanting to do so.

I have to... I want to capture him because he's a danger to the people of my nation. Also, it's the only way I can prove my worth and go home. Those are my two main motivators, though not in that order of importance. That's all going to have to change.

I'm not sure what exactly would happen if I succeeded in capturing the Avatar anymore. I do know that even if I were allowed to go home, it would by no means win me my Father's unconditional love and acceptance.

Which is why I stopped trying. After almost three years of fruitless search I gave up. Not because capturing the Avatar is impossible, like so many have told me over the years. I gave up because I took my mission with such urgency solely because I wanted to go home, when the reason should've been keeping Fire Nation safe.

I allowed a very slim change of a life in which I didn't have to constantly prove myself get me completely distracted from my mission, and when that turned out to be a dead end, I quit.

I gave up.

The Avatar was a danger to the safety of the citicen's of his nation, and those citicen's relied on their prince to keep them safe. A mission Zuko had failed at.

All these years Zuko had pictured the Avatar to be a bitter old airbending master. Aang hadn't matched that image at all, and Zuko had let that lead him into presuming the boy was more or less harmless.

The young Avatar wasn't spitefull by nature, but he was a fool. This made him only a little less dangerous than what he would have been like had he been out to destroy the Fire Nation.

As far as Zuko knew, the boy didn't want to hurt people. Still, he also clearly didn't put much thought into whether his actions hurt people or not.

Aang didn't hate the Fire Nation, but he didn't care for them either. And with people like Jet and Katara influencing him, he presented a great risk.

It was Zuko's task to capture the Avatar, but he had not even tried his hardest. Not even close. Why? Because he felt sorry for the boy for having to carry such a burden and responsibility at such a young age?

Zuko had had it all wrong. Aang wasn't to be pitied for his lack of experience. He was to be feared for it.

The Avatar's power was great, and anyone not taking that power and its consequences seriously was dangerous.

Zuko had to stop the boy. Not because he wanted to go home; truth be told, Zuko had no idea if that was what he wanted any more. He had to capture the Avatar so that the boy couldn't hurt anyone else ever again.

Where's the Avatar? Zuko pushed through Longshot's hazy memories. The archer didn't know.

Zuko broke the connection.

"Flicker?" Toph asked, breaking Zuko's inner tirade. "Mind filling me in on the latest buzz?"

She deserved to know the truth. Zuko extended a whisker to touch Toph's forehead and briefly explained to her what he'd just found out himself: the orphan gang of 'freedomfighters' and Jet's diabolic plan that included the Avatar as an unwitting accomplish. All of this from Longshot's point of view.

"The Avatar? Wow", Toph wondered. "I'd heard rumours he was back."

Zuko didn't react, so Toph went on: "Okay, so we gotta go find this psycho called Jet and teach him a lesson. Got it. But what are we going to do with this fellow?" Toph nodded towards Longshot, who was still pinned down under Zuko's paw. Still silent.

Zuko hadn't thought about that. To him the archer was in a position equivalent to that of a soldier following orders from his superiors. Jet was the commanding officer, so the responsibility was his.

On the other hand, it wasn't like the boy didn't have a free will. There was always a possibility to choose differently, and sometimes, like in today's case, doing the right thing should have outweighed remaining loyal to your superior.

Suggestions? Zuko asked Toph.

Toph looked thoughtful before saying: "It... depends, I guess."

On?

"Whether he's sorry or not. And whether he'll do something like this again."

The Power of the Dragons could be used to convey memories and thoughts, but determening intentions was nearly impossible. Also, the Power was far from exact science. Such complicated feelings as remorse were difficult to accurately detect, and even if you sensed that a person was remorseful, you couldn't tell what they were sorry for. Anyone would be sorry for having gotten caught and been left alone to take the blame.

Not sure.

Toph turned to address Longshot: "What is it, pumpkin? Are you going to keep going around murdering people at random?"

Toph's tone of voice was nonchalant, almost sugary. Zuko was taken aback at how much she was like Azula when she demonstrated her anger through an intimidating veil of sweetness. He had to remind himself that it was just a missconception, an outer shell. On the inside, Toph was nothing like his sister.

Their prisoner looked solemn but he shook his head, indicating he was done with the killings.

"That's good enough for me. You?" Toph asked Zuko.

Zuko let out a sigh. If the flood had destroyed the village, he would've surely made this fool pay. But it hadn't.

As far as intentions went that changed nothing. Incompetence had nothing to do with accountability. And still, it changed something for Zuko.

He didn't hate the boy. He didn't even feel like he was in a position to preach. Longshot seemed like he had had a hard life and spirits knew Zuko had done his share of stupid mistakes, too. If the boy was truly sorry...

Zuko nodded.

Without a warning, Toph earthbended the archer to the ground. She said: "Well well, it's your lucky day. We're going to let you of easy. Once. But I'm telling you, and I suggest you pass the message along to your idiot buddies: do anything like this again, and there will be consequences. Me and my little dragon here will make sure of that. We will know and, take my word for it, we will find you wherever you're hiding. Got it?"

Longshot nodded.

Toph turned back to Zuko: "Where to next?"

ooo

A few moments earlier

"Impossible!" Jet shouted.

As much as Katara was now repulsed by the thought of having anything in common with the monster iced onto a tree, she had to admit that disbelief was her go-to reacion as well.

Just when all hope seemed to have been lost and the tsunami had been about to wipe out the village, the earth itself had put an end to the madness.

"Was that... earthbending?" Aang wondered. "Wow! Who do you suppose did that?"

Katara turned around and shouted at Jet: "How could you? There are women and chidren down there!"

"They're all Fire Nation. They're all evil. I thought you of all people would understand."

Katara felt disgusted. She'd trusted Jet. She'd thought he understood. How could this evil thing be the same person she'd gotten to know, gotten to admire?

"Katara", Jet sounded like he was trying to reason with an especially stubborn child, "It's like you said. This is war. We need to get rid of them. We need to make them pay. All of them."

"No!" she shouted back, "You're twisting my words! I didn't want... this!" Katara waved her hands, gesturing pointlessly. There were no words to discribe the horror of having almost taken part in drowning children.

"Katara, it's okay", Aang soothed her, "Of course you didn't want any of this to happen. None of us did. But it's alright. The village is fine."

"No!" Katara pivoted around to face Aang, tears threatening to leave her eyes, "It's not okay! He deceived us! He betrayed us! He used us! It's a miracle the village was saved but it doesn't change... it doesn't..."

Now she was outright sobbing. Aang put his arm around her shoulder. For a moment they just stood there like that.

"I should've known you were just like your traitor brother."

Katara turned back towards Jet, shock and anger pushing her tears aside: "What - have you done - to my brother?"

ooo

I do hope Katara and Aang are okay. And that Jet drowned.

Sokka had tried to convince his captors, Smellerbee and Pipsquick, to put an end to this madness and stop Jet. Or at very least to let him go so that he could warn the village. But it had been to no avail. The 'freedomfighters' had tied Sokka in to a net, carried him into the forrest out of hearing range and stayed to watch over him; just as their leader had ordered.

Sokka had still been working on his great escape plan when they'd all heard the explosion. And the rumbling of tens of tons of water against ground.

I can't believe it. I'm too late.

After that Sokka had stopped trying to reason with anyone. It didn't really matter now.

Sokka was furious at Jet. And the more he tought about it, he was also angry at himself. Sokka had had a bad feeling about Jet and his 'freedomfighters' the moment they've met, and he really ought to have listened to his instincts. Now a village full of people had met their untimely demise, and Sokka couldn't shake of the the feeling that he could have prevented. If only he had been smarter or stonger. But he wasn't.

And to top it all, Sokka had no idea where Katara and Aang were or even if they were alright.

"Let go of my brother!" a furious voice echoed from above. A voice, and tone, Sokka was very familiar with.

Appa's massive body landed into the little clearing in a whoosh. Atop the bison were his sister and the Avatar. "Katara!"

Smellerbee and Pipsquick lifted their weapons, but they were no match to the power of the Avatar; or to the wrath of an angry babysister.

Katara ran over to Sokka, cut him loose with his own boomerang and caught him in her embrace.

"I'm so sorry I didn't listen to you" she sobbed.

"No, I'm the one who should be sorry. You would have listened to me if I hadn't been such a jerk earlier."

Katara looked Sokka in the eyes: "Are you alright? Jet made it sound like... like he'd tortured you or something else awful..."

"I'm fine. No damages. It's the village that took the hit", on the last words Sokka's face hardened.

"No it didn't! The village is fine!" Aang exclaimed. "A bunch of earthbenders saved it."

Both siblings blinked at Aang.

"I didn't see a bunch of earthbenders", Katara said earnestly, as Sokka said:"Really? The village is fine?"

"Yeah. It was saved by someone using earthbending", Aang explained, "And it must have been a bunch of earthbenders since I don't think any one bender could have done all that."

"Okay", Sokka slowly said, "The village is fine. That's... great news. What about Jet?"

"You were right about it him all along", Katara said seriously, "I should've listened to you."

"And you'll keep that in mind the next time we disagree on something. But back to the point: Jet?"

"Katara froze him onto a tree", Aang said, "And gave him quite the speech. Don't think he'll be blowing up dams again any time soon."

Sokka nodded, his mind working overtime trying to assess all the information he was receiving. And trying to picture Katara beating the crap out of Jet. What an oddly satisfying thought.

"So, earthbenders, you said?" Sokka couldn't quite figure out what all that ment. "Why would a bunch of earthbenders save a Fire Nation village?"

"Maybe they didn't realize it was a Fire Nation village?" Aang suggested.

"Yeah, totally. It's only on every banner", Sokka pointed out, but added more soothingly: "Though I guess you could be right. And who knows? Maybe they were a bunch of blind earthbenders."

Katara rolled her eyes at the joke and said: "It could've been just selfdefence."

"Maybe", Sokka allowed, "But one way or the other, it doesn't really sound like something the Earth Kingdom Army would do. Or the Militia, for that matter. So maybe we should go meet these earthbenders and see who they are?"

"Yeah!" Aang sounded excited, "And maybe we could ask them to teach me some earthbending!"

ooo

"This is him?" Toph asked.

Flicker growled fiercely, which Toph interpreted as a 'yes'.

The boy tied to a tree by a material Toph couldn't quite name was very quiet. Probably couldn't believe his eyes. His heartbeat was racing, though. Because of anger or fear, Toph couldn't tell for sure.

"You blew up the dam?" Toph didn't doubt Flicker's abilities of recognition. She just wanted to hear the boy admit it.

The boy straightened up. Well, as much as he could straighten up when tied to a tree.

"And what if I did?" Jet asked her back.

"Are you sorry for what you did?" Toph already disliked this freedomfighter more than the previous one, but she wanted to keep her standards equal.

The boy quickly looked over to Flicker and then back to Toph: "I'm sorry it didn't work."

Flicker growled furiously and dashed over to the boy with such ferocity Toph wouldn't have been surprised if the tree had tipped over in the process. The dragon's teeth were inches from the boys face.

"You... you get this... thing off of me!" Jet half commanded half pleaded. His tough attitude was all gone.

"A: Flicker's not my pet. I don't tell him what to do. B: Gimme one could reason why I should", Toph tried to sound uncaring, but actually she was quite worried.

As much as the guy may have deserved it, Toph didn't really want him to become dragonfood. However, she was pretty sure Flicker was a good dragon and wouldn't do that.

And if he did, Toph would stop him. Somehow.

Something must have caught Flicker's eye, because he lifted his head to look up.

"What is it?" Toph insisted to know. She hated aerial attacks.

The dragon hesitated a moment, but then left Jet's side to come communicate with her. He showed Toph what he saw. Namely, a large animal Toph guessed was the airbison they've ran into earlier flying in the sky. With passangers.

The Avatar, Flicker said, confirming what Toph had already figured out. It only now struck Toph that Flicker may have known the Avatar was around from the moment they've seen the airbison. Maybe he'd even met the Avatar before.

Flicker turned his head back at Jet, and again at the sky. Clearly torn about something.

"What do you wanna do?" Toph asked, referring both to Jet and the bison.

He (a spiteful look at Jet) isn't going anywhere, the dragon eventually decided.

"Okay", Toph had to admit he was more curious to meet the Avatar than this duchback, "But first I need to know: is there something going on between you and this Avatar fellow?"

ooo

Toph's question was simple but the answer was anything but.

How to put a hundred years of enmity from his nation, years of personal pursuit and several battles simply.

Yes.

"Care to elaborate?"

It's nothing personal.

Zuko knew it was his duty to capture the Avatar, the sooner the better. However, he couldn't very well take Toph along, and leaving her far from her home with no means of transportation would be pretty cold, too. Zuko owed Toph too much for it to even be an option to just dump her whenever her company became inconvenient.

Also, Zuko liked Toph. Too bad Toph wouldn't probably like Zuko when she found out who he really was and whose side he was on.

Toph sighed in frustation: "Fine. At least tell me if he's going to attack you on sight or something."

Zuko considered that for a while. He really didn't know. If Prince Zuko showed up out of the blue, the Avatar and his companions would surely go on the defensive, maybe even offensive. Then again they wouldn't know him like this. Only Sokka would recognize him and they had parted as... aquintances.

Only one way to find out. I'll be back soon.

"Oh no you won't..." was all Zuko had time to hear before the gushing of the air drowned out Toph's voice.

ooo

Commander Zhao was getting frustrated. It was ovbious that Zuko was somewhere following a lead on the Avatar, and the only part about the situation that still mystified Zhao was why he wasn't somewhere doing the same.

The old man is waisting my time. I wouldn't even put up with his tea and nonesense if it weren't for the fact that he was once an esteemed general and is still one of the greatest strategiests of our nation. Unlike his idiot nephew, General Iroh might still prove useful to me one day.

"Oh my, look at the sun. Time flies when you're having..." Zhao tried hard to think of something mildly insulting but relatively corteous, "Tea."

"Well, it looks like Zuko's going to be out late. Who knows, maybe he's met a nice Earth Kingdom girl and is unwilling to leave her behind, if you catch my drift", Iroh said in a conspirational tone and wincked at Zhao.

Zhao had to fight back the urge to roll his eyes. Well that's really unlikely and he knows it as well as I do.

ooo

"Well, I'm not seeing a bunch of bulky earthbenders. You?" Sokka retorted to his companions, "What about you, Momo? You seeing anything interesting."

The lemur had been grooming himself, but he looked up from his seat at the sound of his name.

"Yeah" Aang admitted, obviously disappointed. They could all see the impressive formation of earth that had saved the village, but no earthbenders were in sight. It was just too bad. Aang really would've liked to learn how to earthbend like that. "I guess we should just call it quits and continue our journey...Wait. What is it Momo? What are you pointing at?"

Momo had suddenly began squeaking and gesturing furiously at something. All the children turned to look.

It took a moment before Aang recognized the black creature slithering their way in the air.

"Wow! A dragon!" he exclaimed, "It's really rare to meet those, especially this far from the Fire Nation."

Appa bellowed a low 'humph' and sped up its pace.

"No wait", Aang pulled at the bison's reins, "Let's go take a closer look."

Appa kept flying into the opposite direction.

"Aang, are you sure its safe to go take a closer look?" Katara sounded worried.

"Hey, wait. I've already met that dragon. It was... okay. For a dragon", Sokka said thoughtfully.

Katara turned to stare at his brother: "What do you mean you've already met that dragon? When?"

"When I was running from the Militia. I told you about that."

"No, you didn't", Aang pointed out.

"I'm pretty sure I... No. Wait. You're right. I didn't", Sokka realized. "Though I totally would've if you hadn't been so busy not talking to me."

"Here it comes", Aang said.

The dragon had reached them, but it had swooped to their left side, still keeping a respectable distance. The dragon was small, a lot smaller than Roku's dragon had been. It's long body twisted in the air, and its black scales reflected tints of sunlight.

"You heard what Sokka said, Appa. The dragon is friendly. Yep, yep", Aang reasoned, but the bison didn't react to his master's commands.

Suddenly the dragon flapped its wings quickly and dived down, passing below them and then rising back up to their level on the other side.

"Look! It wants to play!" Aang said.

"Aang, I don't like this", Katara said. She was looking at the dragon intently.

In another sudden movement the dragon approached them. For a moment Aang thought it would come close enough to touch, but then Appa turned around to face the dragon and growled at it, forcing it to dive steeply up to avoid impact.

"Wow, Appa! What are you doing?"

"Aang! What do dragons eat?" Sokka asked while holding on to Appa's saddle tighter so as not to fall when the bison had kept turning around in the air, not letting the dragon from his sight.

"Um, fish?" Aang tried.

"Do you see any fish around?" Katara asked.

"What are you saying...? Wait. It's not trying to eat Appa! It wouldn't. And Appa is way too big for it."

"What about us?" Katara sounded serious.

"No, they're not like that", Aang tried to remember what the monks had taught him about dragons, "Oh, right. Now I remember. The big ones do sometimes attack skybison. But this one is just a cub."

"And now he says it", Sokka muttered, "No wonder Appa's acting out."

"What do you mean by the big ones?" Katara asked.

"Hey, that's exactly what I said..." was all Sokka had time to say when the dragon suddenly came back for another round.

It first halted for a moment, staying behind. Then it flew closer and closer to them from behind.

Appa spiraled in the air and created a wave of air with his tail. The wind hit the dragon hard and pushed it back. The dragon span uncontrollably through the air a good distance before regaining its balance.

"Wait!" Sokka shouted. "The dragon was kind of nice to me the last time we met. It sort of saved me. And other people. I don't think it's attacking!"

"Yeah, like I've been saying from the get-go. It just wants to play." Aang wished he still had his airglider so that he could've gone to play with the dragon. Maybe even ride it!

ooo

Zuko had to admit this wasn't one of his better-thought-out plans. It may even make it in the bottom ten. Even if he somehow managed to get past the 'docile' bison and snatch the Avatar, then what? Fly back to the Fire Nation and into the Fire Palace, hand the Air Nomad over and then come back to pick up Toph as he'd promised? If there was someone more unwelcome in the Fire Nation than a banished prince, a dragon just might be it.

Yeah, definitely in the bottom ten.

His new-found determination was already lacking. He wasn't in his 'I must capture the Avatar' mode but more like in a 'I really ought to capture the Avatar' mode. The difference was tangible.

Zuko didn't often admit defeat, but this time it appeared he had no choice but to let the Avatar go.

Truth be told, a rational part of Zuko had been telling him this was pointless all along. The voice of reason had been drowned out by his more adventurous side, which he didn't usually follow when he was human.

Zuko turned back. Although he had to once again admit he'd been unable to capture the Avatar, he would've been lying if he'd said there wasn't a part of him that had thoroughly enjoyed his little attempt nonetheless.

Zuko had grown up fast, so he didn't know much about playing games (the kinds Azula played didn't count), but he could imagine this was something like that. Flying was sort of fun, but it was even better with some challenge thrown in to make things interesting. Ten tons of challenge.

A more serious, human part of Zuko was shouting out protests as he made his way back towards where he'd left Toph and Jet, but the dragon part had a stronger case. As much as it pained him to let the airbender disappear from his sight, knowing full well he'd soon have to track him down again, there was no practical way he was going to pull this off. Not today.

Zuko landed softly. Or so he attempted to do, but this was made more or less impossible by the shifting earth under his paws.

"FIY, friends don't leave friends behind and go have fun by themselves."

Okay, Toph's angry. Nothing surprising there. But how did she know where I was about to land?

ooo

Half an hour later

Flicker landed and Toph jumped down. They were back on the clearing where they'd first met.

Flying wasn't as bad now that she'd gotten a bit more used to it, but she was still a long way from enjoying it. She felt instantly better being reunited with her element.

They had barely exchanged a few words on their way back. Toph was still pretty bitter at the dragon for leaving her behind like that, but it wasn't the main reason for her silence. The real reason was that she knew he would leave soon, and Toph wasn't ready to say goodbye just yet.

"Copper coin for your thoughts", Toph said to break the silence.

Still not sure if we should've left Jet there.

Toph understood what he meant: "Yeah, I know. But if the treatment we gave him didn't turn him around, I don't know what will. What else could have we done, short from killing him?"

Hand him to the Fire Nation?

"I said short from killing him."

After Flicker had returned from his bison hunt they'd spent a few more moments letting Jet know why blowing up dams was a really bad idea. Toph wasn't sure if any of it had actually gotten through to the boy: he was really dedicated to his twisted view of the world. But even if it hadn't exactly turned him into a Fire Nation fan, it hopefully had at least taught Jet some healthy fear and respect.

The silence stretched on for a while longer. Toph didn't need to be an awesome earthbender to know Flicker was getting anxious.

Toph was earth. She was used to facing her problems head-on. Well, most of her problems, anyway.

"Before you go, would you answer a question of mine? See, I often come up with nicknames for people and address them with those rather than their real names. However usually I do know those names, or at least learn them pretty soon when people ask me to call them by their actual names. It didn't escape me that you never told me your real name. I'm sure you had your reasons, but... could you tell me anyway?

The dragon hesitated only for a short moment before communicating a single word: Zuko.

"Zuko. Cool."

I really am sorry that I left you behind back there.

"I know. Too bad not so sorry you wouldn't leave again", Toph felt childish saying out loud how much she hated the thought of loosing her only friend. She was so not going to cry. She was tougher than that.

Zuko came closer, but instead of communicating anything, he just nuzzled her with his snout. Toph hugged him back, and for a moment they just stood there like that.

Eventually Flicker said: I have to go. Uncle is waiting.

"Go", Toph said with a small smile on her face. She could do this.

Flicker had already turned his head towards the sky when he lowered it one last time, saying: I'd like to promise we'll meet again, but I can't. But if you'd like it to happen, I can promise to try.

Toph felt something choke up in her throat, so instead of speaking she simply nodded.

Then he was gone.

ooo

Iroh was standing at the rail of the ship admiring the setting sun. His tea session with the commander had been... unnerving, was perhaps the right word. Zhao hadn't exactly revealed his cards, but Iroh was now sure the man was willing to play a very dangerous game to gain more power. In fact Iroh feared there was almost no limit to what the commander was capable of.

Suddenly a shadow passed over Iroh. He looked up, and briefly saw something landing onto a rocky cliff not far from where they were. Something dark and long. If he didn't know better...

The creature moved again, disappearing behind a few trees even closer to where the ship was docked.

Iroh looked around himself to make sure no one else had noticed anything. The few crewmen on the deck appeared to be busy doing their usual chores, not paying any special attention to their surroundings.

It could be a spirit. It could be something to do with Zuko.

That was all the convincing Iroh needed to go for a brisk evening walk. Right now.

ooo

In a few minutes Iroh reached the area he thought he'd seen something land in. He looked around and listened carefully. There was a possibility he was walking into a trap.

Suddenly a black figure with wide wings landed before him. Iroh's first instinct had been right. He was facing a dragon. A real dragon even, not a spirit.

Here I thought there were only two left.

But there was more to the feeling of recognition than just knowing what species you were looking at. The dragon was familiar.

Iroh looked the dragon in the eye, only to meet a very familiar shade of gold.

"Zuko?"

Suddenly the young dragon was engulfed by flames flickering in every colour of the rainbow. For a moment it was too bright for Iroh to see what was going on, but still the flames weren't hot. Not hot enough to burn.

The fire died out as suddenly as it had ignited. Where moments ago there had been a dragon now stood his nephew. The teenager looked exactly the way he had when Iroh had last seen him. He even had the same clothes on.

Iroh was shocked. Still he immidiately hurried over to hug his nephew. And for once, Zuko didn't shake him of.

Instead the boy whispered: "I'm sorry."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 5.7K 42
❝ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. ❞ She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
171K 4.5K 39
" She is my wife, stay away from her!" " Keep trying she will remain mine. " " Show me your scars, I want to see how many times you needed...
943K 21.6K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
587K 9K 87
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...