Weaving a Song

Venari द्वारा

"Your child will be gifted. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. Be warned, she may not... अधिक

Weaving a Song
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 112

921 41 3
Venari द्वारा

April 3019 TA

The wailing had ceased, and Thranduil and Legolas had returned to find six broken Elves all sitting inside the tent. "How?" Tawarthion asked, voice cracking when Thranduil entered. Thranduil sighed, tracing the line of Almiel's cheek.

"I will tell you, but it is a long tale, and begins before her birth." The Elves looked at him in utter surprise. Thranduil sat on the cot, and the Elves slowly gathered kneeling or sitting around him while Legolas stood by the entrance. "It began with a prophecy..." Thranduil started and told them the entire tale, from start to its end there in that tent. He left out the fact that Haldir and Almiel had indeed fallen in love, not wanting to burden the Elves with more. One of the Guards knew, he had been in the throne room when Haldir had proposed, but he was either so shocked or so grieved or simply wise enough to not say anything.

When he finished Tawarthion, who had drawn his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around them while they listened, glanced up at the king. "All this time, you knew."

"Not for sure," it was Legolas who answered. "We knew only that it may happen, and there was hope that Haldir could keep it from happening. For whatever reason, it did happen, though she told me herself that she did not think anything would stop it from happening." Taenron looked beyond shocked. His face was drawn in, his eyes red-rimmed and puffy, and he stared as if lost at the ground, eyes empty because he had come to the point that was beyond emotion.

Tawarthion seemed to accept the answer and remained quiet. Thranduil had not moved since he had finished speaking and he only now glanced at Legolas. Where is the Marchwarden?

I do not know, he disappeared before they came to give them space.

That was almost fourteen hours ago. Thranduil said. He has never left her side for that long.

Legolas' eyes widened in fear first. I will find him. He said and rushed out of the tent. Thranduil sighed inwardly, hoping Legolas would find him.

"Come," he finally said to all the Elves. "We cannot all stay in here, and there is a tent that was set up for all of you next door." The Elves nodded quite silently, all following orders because it was all they knew to do at the time. "Rest," he said once they got there, "You will feel better if you do."

This time Tawarthion looked at him. "Really? Have you?"

Thranduil cocked his head. "Actually, I did- once. I felt better afterword too. Maybe I shall do so again." He said and walked back to Almiel's tent. Tawarthion watched him in concern, but then joined the others in their tent. None of them slept much, but a passerby would have said they were as trancelike as they were. They were simply beyond sorrow, and they stared at the tent ceiling in silence, an occasional tear lining their cheeks.

Ada? Legolas asked. Thranduil looked toward where his voice was coming from.

Yes?

I have found him. He is not hurt. I think.

But?

Well I think he must have finally exhausted himself, and he has collapsed on the ground asleep. I would rather not wake him, but I am not sure I have the heart to leave him like this.

Then do not. Stay with him. I shall be fine.

He felt Legolas' agreement. He felt his son settle comfortable against a tree, wrapping his cloak around him. And Legolas? You should try to sleep as well.

I will try, no promises. Legolas answered. Thranduil laid down himself, but never truly slept. His mind was on other things, things it seemed there were no answers too.

*

Haldir's body groaned from misuse as he slowly came back to the world of consciousness. He blinked, unsure as to how he got where he was. All he remembered was the Elves from Mirk- Eryn Lasgalen coming. Ah, there it was. He had come out here and finally collapsed. The memories flooded back with a vengeance, but at the same time, he realized he was hungry. It was much like an afterthought, something that is concerning but that you never pay much attention too. In this case it dawned on him that he had not eaten since he had first woken up, and that he was potentially unhealthy from such abuse. Then it passed out of his mind, leaving only vague traces that he should probably eat.

He also noted that there was some sort of cloak beneath his face that he had most definitely not put there.

"Good morning." A voice said to his right. He blinked again, before pushing himself up. When he realized it was Legolas he only nodded, stretching his stiff muscles from the night before and realizing it must have been Legolas who put the cloak there. Legolas sighed as he watched him. "You know, if you want to collapse, I would prefer you do it on an actual bed so that I do not have to debate whether to move you or not."

"I see which option you picked." Haldir said dryly.

"Well, I decided it was not worth the risk of you waking up." Legolas said. Haldir sighed in resignation before sitting down on an actual rock to brush himself off. Legolas, in feeling pity, walked over to him and sat across from him.

"You know, you do not have to hide from everyone. You told Almiel herself that sometimes you have to grieve together." Legolas said gently, but forcefully as well. Haldir looked away. Legolas watched him carefully, but he seemed to be controlling himself now.

"I know," Haldir finally said.

"So was that advice for someone else to follow?" Legolas asked. Haldir's eyes flashed as he looked back at Legolas.

"No," he said, "I had to do much the same when I lost my mother." Legolas felt a little guilty, forgetting that Haldir had lost his mother first. "This time-. Perhaps you should ask your father." Haldir said, his voice suddenly weary.

"My father?" Legolas asked.

Haldir looked at him, his entire being no longer proud, but sad. "Yes, you may not completely understand, because you have never truly been in love. I know you liked an elleth once, but you have never actually had a deep bond with one you loved."

Legolas frowned. "You did not marry, you cannot have either."

Haldir's eyes changed then, to hold slight exasperation. "Do you really think that matters when my bond with her has been deeper than most bond mate's are even after they marry?" Haldir asked. Legolas blinked a few times. He opened his mouth, but Haldir's sigh stopped him. "No, Legolas, by all rights I should have died, and your father knows it."

"My father continued on." Legolas said.

"Mine did not." Haldir said, eyes staring into the distance. "I thought he was such a coward at the time, leaving three children behind. Now I find that I am no different. I suppose things might be different if we actually had children, but now I cannot say they would have been." He sighed. He let out a short laugh, filled with irony. "My father thought I was brave too. I guess I am proving him wrong. Proving everyone wrong actually. Almiel thought I would know what to do. I am as lost as I ever was." Legolas' eyes filled with sympathy.

"I do not think you can call yourself a coward." Legolas said. Haldir looked at him. "My father is one of the few that has survived his wife dying this long. You did ask my father for her hand as well, a feat not easily done much less achieved. No one else conquered that mountain, and that would never be achieved by a coward."

"I guess I proved you wrong as well." Haldir muttered.

Legolas' eyes flashed. "Haldir! Calling yourself such will do you no good! My sister certainly did not think you were a coward, and perhaps if you stopped wallowing in calling yourself that you could do what she wanted you to do!" He got up and stormed off, leaving Haldir alone once more, thinking.

When Haldir did return, Legolas was not there. Thranduil told him he was with the other Elves. Haldir hesitated, and then went after Legolas. Thranduil only watched him go, one eyebrow raised in curiosity. He remained still, however, and stayed in the tent, wondering what he should tell the rest of Eryn Lasgalen when he returned. Nor did he know how much longer he could wait before bearing her body home.

In the end, he chose to wait just a little longer. Time could only tell.

*

Haldir found where Legolas and the other Elves were, but he chose to stay in the shadows and wait. None of the others need know. Legolas obviously felt his presence though, for he glanced up from where he was sitting. Unfortunately, Taenron saw him as well. Legolas supposed, that if the Captain were able to smile, he would have for he remembered Haldir when he was young and had traveled with him before. Instead, Taenron managed a weak greeting, inviting Haldir to join them.

Legolas watched, hesitantly, before Haldir moved slowly to join them. He sat across from the Prince, so that when he raised his eyes Legolas was staring at him. I am sorry. Haldir said, while the others also weakly greeted him.

Legolas' eyes dropped, half in shame himself. I should be apologizing, I stormed off.

Maybe, but I should not have been so, well...

Idiotic? Legolas provided.

I was going to say stubborn, but I suppose that works just as well. Haldir said dryly.

You were stubborn. Legolas helpfully added.

Sometimes I feel a strong desire to punch you. Haldir said, the closest thing he had gotten to humor in weeks.

I take that as a compliment. Legolas said, sending him a mental grin. Haldir sighed.

You never change.

"I did not know you were here." Tawarthion was saying to him. Haldir looked at him.

"I was out yesterday, but I have been with this company since Helm's Deep." He said softly.

The Guard who knew what Haldir could have been was eyeing him carefully. Haldir tried to ignore his gaze, but it was piercing him. Legolas glanced at him, sensing his discomfort and eyed the Guard who this time quickly looked away. "You and the Prince, together again. No wonder Mordor fell." Tawarthion said dryly. Haldir nodded, which was the closest he was going to be toward smiling. Legolas smiled, thinly, but it was a smile.

Looking around, however, another wave of guilt crashed upon the Marchwarden, as none of them looked any better than he did. Their clothes had been well taken care of the day before, now they were ruffled and dirty. Their faces were all drawn, eyes red-rimmed, most of them still seemed to have trouble not letting tears fall down their faces. Then again, there grief was new, his was old.

It is not your fault. Legolas said to him pointedly, again correctly reading him. Haldir quickly looked down, sighing. My sister said nothing could stop it if it was truly meant to happen.

I know. Was the only answer he got.

After a long while, most of their company left. Legolas finally stood, saying that he was going to Aragorn, and Haldir stayed for a minute before deciding to go back to Almiel. He had finally eaten, with Legolas' prodding and for the first time actually felt a little more in control. On his way back, he heard his name.

"Haldir," a voice said. He looked, and with a sinking feeling, saw that it was the Guard who knew. He stopped, however, and joined the ellon. "Why are you here?" He asked Haldir.

Haldir blinked. "You should know." He said.

"I do, but why are you here?" The Guard emphasized. Haldir sighed and looked away.

"Because the time never came." He said.

The Guard genuinely looked surprised. "But I saw you, you-."

"Did nothing." Haldir said with a trace of bitterness. "She was convinced the time had not yet come, and told me to trust her."

"I am sorry." The Guard said.

Haldir swallowed once. "There is no need, I knew it could happen."

"You did?"

"One of the few who did." Haldir answered. He crossed his arms to settle himself.

"I remember the King telling us that now." The Guard said. Then he sighed. "I am sorry once more it seems." Then his eyes glanced at Haldir curiously. "Perhaps you are mistaken though, the time might come yet. Valinor is not that far away." Then he left Haldir alone, blinking at the thought.

Haldir walked in this daze back to the tent, his emotions, though rolling, were strangely building on top of him, in a way that only confused him. He pushed back the flap of the tent, stopping when he saw his beloved. Thranduil glanced up, but said nothing at first. After a few seconds, the King stood. "Did you ever find Legolas?"

Haldir nodded. "He is with Estel." Thranduil nodded in return before going after his son.

Haldir walked to Almiel's side and let his hand rest on her cheek. It was cooling. To his surprise, his touch did not make her warmer. You are running out of time, Haldir. The words of his Lady came back to him, it was a memory, just a memory, but it also fit the situation with uncanny quality. His influence on Almiel was ending, and somewhere, deep inside him, things began to click. Something, he was unsure of what it was, built up like the slow beginnings of a Tsunami.

It is time. They had all been right. He did know what to do. By some instinct, he knew that this was the only way he would ever see her again. This was why he had not faded, there were things left undone, unsaid. In the back of his mind, he felt bad he was not going to say anything to her father or brother, but by the same instinct he knew that this was something he had to do alone, that they would understand in their own time.

He leaned over the Princess, reopening her eyes. They were still blank, but it did not matter, not anymore. Not to him. He stared into them realizing that no matter what, he would be with her after this, wherever she was. He did not know why he knew that, but perhaps it was the same that had happened before when he had first touched the Princess and realized he had a bond with her. His hand lingered on her cheek, before he leaned further until his head was next to hers.

"Le melin, Almiel," he whispered. The wave that had built inside of him finally broke and washed over him, covering in a white blanket of whatever this was. It consumed the entire tent, shining white as it extended to cover both him and Almiel. The light was deafening as well as blinding, and it blocked out all memory of the outside world. Turning his head slightly, he finally let his lips descend on hers, until the light consumed him in a flood of unconsciousness.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

335K 13K 74
Book One "From the time we are born we start making choices. At the time when we are young we learned that our choices come with consequences. Some a...
165K 6.2K 52
People say that death is not the end. For Evelyn, it's not. After battling cancer for almost four years, death is something that this nineteen year o...
112K 2.6K 22
When a princess elleth unknowingly enters the realms of Mirkwood, she finds herself to be the missing piece to a promise made long ago
365K 9.8K 60
Amarië has been traveling for a long time searching for the right place to settle down. During her journey she meets new friends and faces some dange...