Chasing Stars - A Midnight Ma...

By ObsceneIrrationality

Completed Book two of the Midnight Mafia Trilogy Katherine Santoro has done the unthinkable. She's fallen in... More

Preview Chasing Stars
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
BONUS CHAPTER
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
BONUS CHAPTER
BONUS CHAPTER
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter TwentyFour
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
BONUS CHAPTER
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thiry-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty Five
BONUS CHAPTER
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Authors note
Bonus Chapter
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
The End

Forty-Eight

155K 7.6K 1.2K
By ObsceneIrrationality

-----Important author's note at bottom!-----

                "What the fȕck was that all about?" Nash demanded as we drove off.

"You haven't been entirely honest with me." I shot back.

"What?"

I didn't answer. We were both quiet for a few long minutes before he leaned forward in his seat.

"You aren't going to the police station are you?" He said sharply.

"No."

"Damn it Kate!" He smacked his hands off the dash. I glanced down to the center console we had closed to ensure both of our safety.

"How many guns do you have?"

"How many men were there?" He shot back and I frowned. After a few moments he sighed. "They aren't loaded. Remember you had me unload them? I only reloaded the one."

I believed him. "But you had two."

"The one I took from Rob was already loaded. I didn't have time to load the rest before you got back in the car."

I believed him again.

"What is this about Kate? I thought-"

"I don't care what you thought. I thought you were the good guy. I thought we were friends. But it turns out my first assumption was right." I turned to glare at him. "Wolf in sheep's clothing."

"Oh not this again. Kate. I'm not a wolf. I'm not the bad guy!"

I slammed on the brakes and he jerked forward. I wasn't even surprised that he wasn't wearing his seat belt. Some cop he was. "I have something for you." I said while glaring at him.

He glanced out the window and noted we were in a more desert area. "Is it a hand grenade? If so I've one of those for you as well." He reminded me.

"In the back seat. The manila folder." I tried to keep perfectly calm as I sat in my chair but my heart was thudding. How would Nash explain this one? I started driving again, tapping my finger on the steering wheel impatiently.

He glanced back, to me again, and then to the back. Assessing the situation. Finally he leaned over the center console and into the back to grab the folder. He resituated himself in the seat and glanced back to me one last time before opening the folder.

He was silent as he glanced through the photos. He hardly seemed concerned. He closed the folder after a few seconds and looked relieved. "That's what this is about?"

"Who do you really work for? Is Nash even your real name?"

"Of course it is. I work for the NYPD, I've already told you that."

"Then what the fȕck is this!" I yelled and motioned towards the folder. "Are you with the Bonnano or the bloody Gambino?"

"Get out of the car." He sighed.

"What?!" On instinct I pulled a hand away from the wheel and reached for the center console.

He put his hand on top of mine to prevent me from opening it. "I'd be damn surprised if your car wasn't bugged. Get out of the car."

I bit my lip. He was probably right. Alessio had bought me the Lexus. I knew it had a GPS in it, that much I didn't mind because it came equipped with it for the navigation system, but I had no clue if it was actually bugged or not. God I hoped not. "If it is we're both dead already." I said trying to remain firm. He was the one who had another two guns and a hand grenade stashed on him after all.

I turned into an alley. When Nash got out of the car and stalked down the alley I reluctantly did follow. Leaving the three guns in the center console untouched. Why I was still putting any bit of trust in Nash I had no clue.

He strolled over to a building and leaned against it. It was starting to drizzle. "The Bonanno asked me to work the Gambino." I stared at him blankly. "You think they're only after Alessio and his Genovese? No. The Genovese and the Gambino combined forces in a very heavy attack against the Bonanno. Do you really think they'd just let that sort of thing go? It took months for them to make up for all the men and funds lost. They're still down in sales because the turf the Gambino and Bonanno were fighting over is now in the Gambino's possession. Not only do they want that area back, but they want some of the Gambino's land as well. Even more importantly than that they want revenge. They considered the attack a great insult, naturally, and they believe being defeated made them look weak."

I put my hand to my head.

"I work for the NYPD Kate. They know I'm doing this too. The Bonanno have me working the Gambino as well."

"This is unbelievable."

"It is..." He agreed and glanced down. "Kate, you can't tell this to Alessio."

I dropped my hand to give him my best bewildered stare. "Are you crazy?"

"He would probably tell the Gambino and then I would be dead. I'd be beyond dead."

"You think you won't be when all of this is over? You come out with all this incriminating information you think they won't find out who you are? Come back and make sure you're beyond dead? My God Nash!"

"It won't get to that."

"And where the hell do you think it's going to get to? Are you an idiot?"

"Maybe." He shrugged with a weak smile.

I paced back and forth the alley with my hands holding my head. I was so confused. "So let me just try to make sense of this."

"Of course."

"You work for the NYPD?"

"Correct."

"The NYPD put you into the Bonanno to gather evidence to take down their leader and as many men as possible?"

"Right."

"And the Bonanno put you into the Gambino?"

"Yep."

"Then what the hell is going on with the Colombo?"

His expression changed, lips pursed and brows creased. "I don't know how involved you really need to be getting in all of this."

"Seems to me I'm pretty well involved." I said crossing my arms over my chest. He gave me a questioning look and in my worst possible Nash impression repeated his "joke" that Alessio had shared with me. "Maybe if she has two legs to stand on and a pụssy to pound into we'll send her your way when we're done with her."

"Where did you hear that?" He demanded suddenly in a harsh tone.

"Your move Mr. Cooper."

He sighed and crossed his arms over his chest. "The Bonnano will use you to hurt Alessio."

"I don't give a damn about the Bonnano and what they want to do, but I do give a damn what you do!" He looked too stunned for words. "Why? Why would you want to hand me off to Paulo? Or not hand me off, God! I don't even know!" I put my hands to my head again and pressed on it to keep it from bursting.

"Kate, Katie-pie, I can assure you that I'm not handing you off to anyone. I have a hard enough time letting you go back home to Alessio every damn day, you honestly think I'd let you get mixed up with all that other shit?"

"I don't know what to think! That's the problem!" I threw my hands up in the air. Nash stepped forward with his hands open to me and when he was too close I shoved him. "You're the one who said that!"

"What?!"

"Alessio said that Paulo-"

"Oh there's a real fȕcking surprise!" Nash scoffed loudly and turned around shaking his head.

"Don't even go blaming this on Alessio! Don't you dare blame it on him!"

He whirled back around to face me furiously. "Gee Kate, I wonder who would want to lie about me to make you hate me, it couldn't possibly be the same guy who shot me and tried to kill me because he was jealous! That would make no sense at all!"

"He shot you because you want to...to...to I don't even know what you plan on doing to me! It's apparently too vulgar and horrifying for Alessio to even tell me. He shot you to protect me!"

"From me? He shot you to protect you from me? What the hell have I been doing every time these guys catch up with you? I've saved your life before, I've gone out of my way to help you, and you think you need protection from me?"

"He told me what you said!"

"I didn't say that, I would never say that. Fȕcking Rob said it you moron!"

"Who the hell is Rob?" I groaned and threw my head back.

"The lug head I just shot back there! You know, the one who was about ready to get a head start on pounding that pụssy?" He motioned down on me and I gasped.

"You inappropriate little shit!" I screamed.

"They weren't my words damn it. He said it! He is, well, was, sort of like my partner if you will. He was the one who said that, and yes I was there when he said it but you should know I would never-"

"I don't know anything." I said sharply and backed away from him. "Absolutely nothing about you."

"Kate."

"I can't, I can't be here."

"You don't believe me?"

"I don't know what to believe. Everything is a lie." I started back to the car holding my head again. "This is, I don't even."

Nash ran to beat me to the car and put his hand on the door before I could open it.

"Move!" I demanded.

"Listen to me!" He yelled. I pressed my back again the slick car door and glared at him. It was cold and wet against the part of my back the dress didn't cover.

"Then tell me. Now. What are you doing with the Colombo?"

He sighed. "Giovanni asked Rob and I to approach the Colombo with an offer. We ask for their support in an up and coming war."

"Okay." I breathed.

"We asked that he and his men fight with us against the Genovese and the Gambino. He refused the Genovese, I guess he and Alessio look out for each other. I don't know, we knew better than to ask. But after some haggling he agreed to help in a surprise attack again the Gambino. An attack that I, along with several other undercovers, will lead the Gambino into which is why I'm undercover for the Bonanno in the Gambino." He sighed. "The Gambino will believe Paulo and his men are coming for an exchange, Paulo doesn't deal with drugs or gambling, he traffics women. So the Gambino will believe he is bringing women for them to choose and really they will be opening the doors to the Colombo and Bonanno. I'm going to lead all three into this fight and we'll bust them all at once, or at least we'll try anyway. I'll wear a GPS and a wire and let the good ole NYPD do the job from there."

I slapped Nash. "You idiot!"

He seemed too stunned for words as he put his hand to his cheek. As if reading our very emotions the rain picked up and thunder boomed across the sky.

"You're going to get yourself killed and then who the hell is going to raise Ellie? Huh? How you could possibly think this is a good fȕcking idea I have no clue. You're going to get shot along with everyone else when the police raid and if God willing you don't die then you'll what? Go to jail? Testify in court against three mafia's? You're going to get killed, in fact no, they're going to do way worse things than just kill you. Oh my God!" I shoved him away from my car and he caught my wrists and pulled me into him. "Let me go you díckhead!"

"I have to do this Kate. Trust me, I've thought about everything already but we've got it all figured out. I'm going to be fine."

"How can you even say that? If you testify they will destroy you." I screamed at him furiously and tried to pull away

"When I'm through with them they won't have the power to."

"Then you're an even bigger idiot than I thought. Of course they have the power!"

"Kate, Matteo is going to die. We'll fake my death and I can ditch the disguise and move where ever Ellie wants us to go and leave all of this behind, trust me. It's likely I won't even have to so many of those guys will be facing life they'll talk just to get a lower sentence. I've thought of everything."

I pulled away from him and nearly stumbled, he reached out to me and I smacked his hand away. It was raining hard now, pink water ran out of my dress, I was glaring at Nash and he was watching me with cautious intensity. "The Bonnano have you undercover?"

He nodded slowly. "And Kate...they've got someone under in the Genovese as well."

------------------------------------

Now I really hate to just come out and SAY things like this, but when I wrote this I had envisioned you guys would actually believe Nash, and seeing as so many of you hate him and don't trust him I have to just kinda come out and say it which I hate doing. But Nash is telling the TRUTH. Nash is not a villain.  (That's the important author's note, from here is just kinda jabber and not necessary towards the story.)

Okay guys. Being you're waiting for updates my leave you to forget something things from time to time, remember some chapters ago there was a bonus chapter, started with Alessio watching footage of someone coming in for business. The business man was Paulo Colombo, leader of the Colombo mafia. He is the one who Alessio gets all of his men from, and while they proclaim to hate each other, they also look out for one another. Paulo said "boy have I a story for you" and the story he shared was Matteo and his partner (who Nash just shot to save Kate) saying some inappropriate things about Kate, which is what Kate was throwing in Nash's face. Also, there were all of those pictures of Nash working with three different families. This is why. He met with Paulo and his men to ask for their assistance in the coming war and has been working the Gambino for some time. The Gambino if you remember allllllll the way back to book one is who Alessio worked with to attack the Bonnano who wanted to kill Kate because she presented a video of them doing business.

For a reminder of the Nash images and such see chapter 34 of this book, and for the scene with Paulo and Alessio it would be a bonus chapter before 34.

How do you feel now that I am TELLING YOU Nash is a good guy? Happy Alessio didn't manage to kill him? Angry at him for all the confusion and hoopla? Still hate him? Still love him for those of you who did? Does this make you reconsider anything? Like anger at Kate for wanting to help him in beginning when he really WAS trying to do it for the greater good? Etc, etc? 

Don't forget to vote and comment.

OH! AND ONE MORE THING! If you head over to my facebook page and take a look at the cover photo there is a little surprise (; Don't forget to like and follow my facebook page while you're there (;

https://www.facebook.com/RA-Franco-975473935857741/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

687K 17.3K 40
Ally Carson has it all; a loving family, supportive boyfriend, and an impressive degree in the industry of her dreams. But when she uproots her perfe...
388K 13K 30
Nya is a seventeen years old girl who just moved at his mother and his step father's house. She will be living with her best friend Shane and Emma wh...
3.1M 129K 59
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...
5M 118K 23
SEQUEL TO HIS POSSESSION IN DISCRETION READ BOOK #1 BEFORE ENTERING BOOK #2 Delilah Newman-Russel. Recently turning 19, she's been learning the ropes...