Invade My Heart

By zabellerain

(Second book to “Marked by the Alpha”. It is highly recommended that you read MBTA prior to IMH.) I, Daniella... More

Blurb
Chapter 1 ✓
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Author's Note

Chapter 4

454K 18.4K 4.8K
By zabellerain

NOT EDITED. 

ENJOY (:

------

“First off, please welcome back Danny,” Weston said to the crowd of people in front of him, motioning a hand towards me. “Also, please welcome her cousin Beau Wrode.”

The crowd clapped with bright smiles on each of their faces. It was rare to see a pack meeting with this much people. It must be because the Crescent and the Stone pack decided to have today’s meeting together.

It was also rare to see that the two packs got along well. They sat together, making small conversation. The men shook each other’s hands while the women hugged each other.

All one hundred and seventy of us were cramped up in the meeting room in the Pack House. Everyone shared chairs, kids sat in their parent’s laps, the men stood to the side of the room. The representatives of the pack – such as Jarred, Weston, Eli, Jet, Jade, Abigail, Stacey, Charles, Dustin, Alex, Beau, and I – stood at the front. The only people missing were Darren and my mother.

The thought caused an ache in my chest, but I quickly shook it off. I couldn’t wait to see them after the meeting. It wouldn’t surprise me if I bolted out of the room before anyone else did once the meeting was adjourned.

“As you all know, I’m Alpha Weston Marshall of the Crescent Pack,” my mate said, smiling a warm smile towards the werewolves. My wolf soared with pride at the mention of her mate’s high title. He patted Eli’s back. “This is Beta Elliot Cooper.”

“I’m Alpha Jarred Hunter of the Stone Pack,” my best friend said and flashed a perfect smile. He motioned towards Charles. “This is Beta Charles Porter.”

Charles, Alex, and Dustin welcomed me home this morning. Although they didn’t really spend much time around the Crescent pack because they couldn’t really stand it, they were still great friends of mine.

I shot a warning look at Eli who looked like he was going to tear Charles into shreds. Charles rolled his eyes, still standing next to Abigail. “You better stay the fuck away from her, pup,” Eli whispered only so we could hear. Alex and Dustin growled at Eli, protecting their Beta as an instinct.

“Look, Cooper, Abigail and I are just friends,” Charles snapped. “I respect her decision to be with her soul mate. You have her now, so I don’t know why you’re getting your panties in a twist.”

To refresh your memories, Charles and Abigail were in a relationship and were still in a relationship fourteen months ago. A month after I left, Abigail broke up with Charles, telling her she felt that it was wrong to date somebody else when she was blessed enough to have found her mate. Charles let her go. Two months after that, Eli and Abigail started their relationship.

The Alphas shot a warning look towards their Betas, obviously telling them through the mind link that they needed to quit being immature.

After I left, I put a block up to hide what I was feeling and all my thoughts from Westin and the Crescent Pack. They didn’t need to hear my true feelings or my exact reason for leaving.

“It’s good to see all of you here,” Jarred continued. “We are extremely proud to be the Alphas of such a dedicated pack. I’m pretty sure you are aware of why we called a meeting.” There were a few slow nods, a blanket of fear and concern covering the people in front of us. “So, Alpha Weston will explain further.”

Weston cleared his throat, before saying, “A few days ago, we were attacked by hunters in the forest with weapons laced with wolfs bane. From our discovery, they were customized guns, spears, and arrows to take down werewolves.”

There were a few gasps, including my own. The pit of my stomach began to hurt from all the tension and the fear that started to build.

“No worries, there are no signs of hunters so far. They do not know where we live or where we walk. They just caught us while we were taking the special training that the representatives receive.

“Luckily, nobody was killed in this attack. We managed to take down the hunters. However, two people were severely injured. Please give a round of applause for the bravery of Jarred Hunter who took a knife for his mate, Jade Marshall,” Weston said with gratitude. I clapped with the crowd, proud that Jarred had done that to protect Jade. “And to Ella Wrode, who unfortunately couldn’t make it today because of her condition. She took the bullet for her son, Darren Saunders. We are completely lucky to have not lost such a brave woman.”

I felt the tears build up in my eyes, but I didn’t dare let it fall. I smiled with the relief that my mother had made it and clapped proudly with the crowd.

“Are you okay?” Beau said through the mind link. With Healers, it was impossible to block out each other. Healers were supposed to work together and it was forbidden to deny each other.

Yes, cous. I’m just happy that my mom is okay.”

“She’s a Wrode!” Beau said, causing me to smile even bigger. “That’s my Aunt Ella!”

“However, we are still in danger,” Weston continued, bluntly. It was an Alpha’s duty not to lie to their pack. “We got a lead on Rogues helping these hunters take down both our packs. It is true. Rogues and hunters have teamed up.”

My mouth dropped open and there were loud gasps. The whole room started talking hysterically. Before it could get any crazier, Jarred and Weston said, “Quiet down!”

The whole room fell silent in a second. Beau and I were shocked, having to hear this for the first time. The other representatives kept a straight face, but I could tell they were as scared as everyone in this room was.

“Why?” I blurted out before thinking twice, causing everyone to look at us. I was genuinely curious. I held my head high, looking Weston square in the eyes. “What are their intentions?”

It took a couple of seconds for Weston to answer. He looked me straight in the eyes and then back at everyone in front of him. “We have something that the Hunters are after, but never in a million years will I give it to them.”

In a second, the room was in complete chaos.

“What?” A guy with graying hair yelled.

“This is just ridiculous,” a woman cried, clutching her three-year-old son to her.

“You would put your packs in danger because you refuse to give something up?” Another woman yelled.

“Enough,” Jarred’s voice roared through out the crowd. It shook the windows, causing a silence to fall upon the room. Everyone looked down, ashamed and scared. I, too, shrunk back a bit from the authority in his voice. “It is too valuable to be given up.”

“What could it possibly be?” Beau said beside me, shock written across his features.

“I’m afraid that is confidential,” Weston replied. “This meeting is adjourned. Please leave without drawing attention towards our pack house.”

In an hour and a half, the conference room was emptied out and everyone had left. Alex, Charles, and Dustin had left. We all slumped down in the couches in the living area, deep in thought.

“What do the hunters want?” I brought myself to ask my friends.

“I have no idea,” Jet replied. “Only the Alphas know.”

At that moment, Jarred and Weston came out of the conference room. They looked exhausted and stressed. Jade shot up from her seat, hugging Jarred to calm him down. Weston walked towards the hallway that led to the front door. He was probably going for a run to let off some steam.

“Beau, are you ready to go?” I asked, getting up from my seat. I really wanted to see my family.

Beau nodded, following me to the front door. “That was intense,” Beau said.

“Tell me about it.”

“Are you ready to see your mom?”

“I can’t wait to see her. I missed her so much.”

“I can’t wait to hear her compliments. I know what she’s going to say already. She’s going to thank me for being the doting cousin and she’s going to say I’m immensely handsome,” Beau joked. I elbowed him in the ribs and laughed.

“You better watch out. Once she found out what you said, she won’t be complimenting you anymore,” I said.

“I’m kidding,” Beau said, throwing his arm around my shoulder. “I miss Aunt Ella and I really want to see her after the – uh – “

“The attack,” I said bluntly. “Just say it, Beau. Avoiding it wouldn’t change the truth.”

“I’m sor – “

He went silent when we saw the scene in front of us. I froze, feeling the familiar ache in my chest. Only this time, it was ten times worst.

I’ve always felt it when he kissed another girl or the one time he made love to another girl. It was different when you saw it. It confirmed that whatever you were feeling was true.

Weston’s back was faced towards us and Hayley was on the other side of the door. She smiled, before reaching up on her tiptoes to peck Weston on his lips. Although it was only a millisecond, my heart shattered and it felt like a cobra wrapped itself around my chest. I bit my lip, refusing to let the growl that threatened to escape. My wolf was angry.

Beau looked angry as he pulled me closer to his chest and pushed towards the door. “Excuse me,” He said, rudely shoving passed Weston.

He put me in the passenger seat of my Land Rover and he climbed into the driver’s seat. He drove out of there as fast as possible. However, I didn’t miss the hurt look that crossed Weston’s features when he looked at me.

After a couple of Beau’s concerned glances, I said, “I’m fine, Beau.”

“I don’t believe you! You’re so honest with everything else except yourself!”

I flinched, looking at him. I could tell he was angry by the way he clutched the steering wheel tightly, causing his knuckles to turn white. “He’s an asshole,” He continued.

“Forget it, Beau,” I said, trying to change the subject.

“No, Danny! Why are you trying to run away from your problems with Weston?” He cried stubbornly.

“I’m not running away, Beau,” I snapped. “If I were running away, I wouldn’t have come here in the first place which brings me back to why we came here in the first place! I came here for my mom, not Weston!”

We arrived at my house in no time, the mini mansion looming over us. Beau and I sat there for a couple of second. Looking at me, he said, “You’re right. I’m sorry.”

“Beau, you’re just being a good cousin,” I smiled. “So thank you for looking after me.”

“Always, Danny,” Beau said. “Now let’s get inside so Aunt Ella could compliment me.”

I rolled my eyes, getting out of the car. Before I could open the door, it slammed open. Brown eyes stared at me, his brown hair swaying in the harsh winds. His smile graced his handsome face, before he engulfed me in his muscular arms.

“Darren,” I screamed, hugging him tighter. I felt a few tears of happiness escape. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“Little sister,” He said, pulling back from me to look at me. “You’ve got some toned arms. Did this guy,” Darren stopped to slap Beau’s head. “work you too hard?”

“She was a weakling,” Beau said, putting Darren in a headlock once Darren let go of me. “She couldn’t even life a hollow block.”

“Hey,” I snapped. “Stop exaggerating!”

“Boys,” a feminine voice laughed. “They think all girls are weaklings.”

“Kelly,” I shrieked, almost tackling the petite blonde-haired woman to the ground.

Kelly and I had definitely gotten closer when Darren and her came to visit me six months ago. We went shopping, sharing similar thoughts and our sarcasm towards Darren. She was like my older sister – which she was. To be precise, she was my older sister in law. Yes, she was human and yes, she was mates with my older brother.

“Danny, you’re going to kill me,” she choked.

I let go of her slightly, before saying, “Right. You’re human.”

“Did Beau teach you to be so cocky?” Kelly gasped, casting a teasing glare at Beau.

“Why does everybody blame me?” Beau cried.

“Because you’re an idiot,” all three of us said in unison, obviously used to saying this one statement to him.

“You guys are all mean,” Beau said, crossing his arms over his chest like a five year old.

“Anyways, Kelly is making food since Aunt Fel is on a trip around the world,” Darren said. “I’ll take you to see mom.”

My heart was pounding hard with every step we took towards her room. I flinched when I heard a strangled cough. Darren threw an arm around my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

The tears spilled out all at once when Darren opened the door, causing my heart to break. My mother lay in her bed, looking at us tiredly. Every blink was longer than it was supposed to be. Her translucent skin had sheen of sweat although the room was cold. Her dry lips turned up in a smile as she looked at us.

“Danny, my baby,” she said hoarsely. “Why are you crying? Come here and give me a hug.”

I came over to her, hugging her softly. Her arms shook as she lifted them slowly to go around neck. “Mom, I’m just so happy to see you.”

Luckily, there were no wounds on her face because that would have hurt me even more. I did not dare remove the blanket around her. Because if I did, I would have seen the gauze wrapped around the area she was shot.

“I missed you, my baby,” my mom said, smiling.

“Hey Auntie,” Beau said happily, coming to give my mom a quick peck on the cheek.

“Oh, Beau, you’re so handsome,” my mom said, patting his cheek. “Thanks for taking care of Danny.”

I rolled my eyes as Beau flashed me a knowing smirk. “You’re welcome. Anything for my family.”

“Did you find yourself a mate yet?” My mom asked, knowing of Beau’s conquest to find his mate.

“No,” Beau said darkly, before joking around. “I don’t think anybody could handle this much strength and hotness.”

“Better watch it, boy,” my mom laughed tiredly. “Even if I’m weak, I could take you down.”

“Why don’t we let Danny and my mom have a little alone time right now?” Darren said, smiling at the two of us.

“So, how are you?” I asked when the it was just my mom and I.

“I’m fine, Danny.”

“Mom,” I said, fresh tears welling up in my eyes. “I’m sorry it wasn’t there. I feel like it’s my fault that you guys got attacked. I’m so sorry. You almost died because of me. I’m the reason for all this – “

“Nonsense, Danny,” my mom scolded. “Stop blaming yourself for things that you had no intentions doing.”

“It’s the truth.”

“Give me proof that it is then.” When I stayed quiet, my mom continued. “Danny, you always blame yourself. You always tire yourself. None of this is your fault. Stop it. I got shot because I was protecting my children and I would rather die than let my children die.”

“I love you, mom,” I cried, laying next to her in her queen sized bed.

“Stop crying,” My mom said. “How about you? Are you okay?

 “I’m fine,” I said, clueless. Why would she ask that question when I was clearly healthy and unwounded?

“I heard about Weston, honey,” my mom whispered.

My heart constricted and my tears started falling even harder. Here, with my mom, it was hard to pretend I was okay with it. She would read the lie.

“I don’t even know,” I blurted before I could stop myself. “I was the one who broke up with him, but I didn’t break up with him because I didn’t love him anymore! I broke up with him because I didn’t want him to get tangled up with my own problems for being a Healer. It hurts me to know he loves another girl. It hurts me to know that he’s happy without me. It hurts me to know he’s kissing and hugging somebody else. I’m pretending that I’m fine, but I’m far from it.”

It was quiet for a moment, before my mother said, “Oh, honey, I’m so sorry. Just remember one thing.”

“What is it?”

“Love is always going to find ways to kill people. That’s the test. It’s the test to see that two people will still love each other despite their challenges.” 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.5K 394 21
"You could never be a bother to me Dannielle". That was the first time I heard him say my name and hearing it come from his mouth was like heaven to...
56.5K 3.2K 54
It was the end of times. A brother betraying another and a cruel heartbreak later, I found myself wrapped around my only soulmate, Knox. That was un...
903K 25.7K 28
"Slowly, little moon-- I'm not going anywhere." ***** Marked wolves were the only wolves that could conceive an A...
157K 4.7K 34
Being the daughter of the moon goddess and an angel is stuff but being in danger all the time is stuffer, when my house is attacked both my parents a...