The Obsidian Arrow

By CraigAPrice

After a great victory in the elven city of Sudegam, Searon finds himself at peace where he can finally rest... More

The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 1
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 2
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 3
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 4
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 5
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 6
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 7
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 9
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 10
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 11
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 12
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 13
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 14
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 15
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 16
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 17
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 18
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 19
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 20
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 21
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 22
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 23
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 24
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 25
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 26
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 27
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 28
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 29
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 30
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 31
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 32
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 33
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 34
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 35
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 36
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 37
The Obsidian Arrow: Epilogue
The Obsidian Arrow: Author's Note
The Obsidian Arrow: Editing
The Crimson Claymore: Free for Christmas!
Reviews

The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 8

11.6K 309 21
By CraigAPrice

Chapter 8:

[Arria POV]

            Arria looked down towards the ground at the two unconscious beings before her. One was elf and the other human. Pathetic. That was the only word she could use to describe them. By herself she overcame both of them in a battle of swords. She figured the human to be weak, but even the elf was useless. She had always known Anaela to be the archer, but she was too predictable to dodge arrows from.    

            Loosening her grip she shelved her sword back in its scabbard. They weren’t worth the effort because her mission was too important. With her two stalkers out of her way she was now free to continue with her plans.  A twisted grin scraped at her face as she continued running towards the heart of Sudegam.

            The wind surrounded her face and slightly tickled her, triggering a memory of her sister and her running through the forest together.  Life was so simple back then when they were both carefree before mother got sick. Starlyn was weak and couldn’t see it as Arria could. Arria had saved mother but Starlyn just wouldn’t let it happen. She pictured her own pale skin and black hair running through the forest chasing after a much younger blond Starlyn.

The memories came back from time to time as her life as an elf. She had to admit that she did have fun as an elf, yet she was glad to be freed of such regulations. The one thing that never left her during her transition was her love for her sister. Even when it was her sister who caused her death, but the magic was too deep and it took over and changed her. For the better. She was stronger now, and one day she would find her sister and convince her of the same.

She shook the memory of her sister and her playing in the blurry forest laughing and pushing each other around. It was such a happy memory, one that Arria could only hope for again… if Starlyn could see the way.

Arria came to an abrupt stop as she rounded a corner of the trees to an unpleasant smell filling her nostrils. Humans. The mere thought of them brought the taste of stale bread to her mouth and she nearly gagged. Turning around the corner of the oak tree she saw them, four, and they were talking amongst themselves. Two of them seemed to be of importance as they wore heavier armor and broader swords.

It would take too much time to claim the four lives of the humans, especially two of them being captains she dared not judge their sword skill. Pulling a dark powder from a pouch she silently blew her cold breath onto it and it swirled to life in purple and black glitter.

Standing before her was a life sized skeleton with a bone sword and shield. Its white bones seemed frail but its looks were deceiving. The skeleton looked up to its master and she smiled pointing to the four humans. Glowing purple exited its eyes at the skull and it turned laughing abruptly heading for the humans.

“What is that!?” Shrieked a human pointing toward the skeleton.

Arria watched for a moment as the humans scattered trying to get their weapons loose in horror as the skeleton came rushing at them. She smiled before turning to slip past them closer to her designation.

She neared the heart of Sudegam now and knew it was covered with many preparing warriors and elf guards throughout. Peaking around a bush she saw the several patrols around the city. There was no way she would be able to walk into the town unnoticed.

The old worn paths encircling the city were of light brown dirt and scattered chips of rocks. On every side of the path there were bushes with flowers and exotic leaves. The smell of the fresh plants soothed the air and still brought relaxation to Arria’s nostrils. It was one of the things that the elves were best at, growing plants.

She looked into the city through the cover of a thick bush trying to find an opening. The day was too clear and the sun too bright for her to find passage this way. Instead she looked above to the trees and came to a conclusion. Making sure her chain mail gloves were secured she began climbing up the nearest tree.

Most of the branches were close enough to the next tree where she was able to easily leap from one to the next. Still, she used caution as she continued looking at the ground for anybody scouting the trees. Luck was on her side today as they were too worried discussing battle tactics and defenses that they forgot all aerial assaults.

However in the fortune of her success she became clumsy and nearly collided with a lone elf. A spell caster. The elf was tall, pale, and redheaded with freckles. She was a rare sight indeed. A war hammer was unattached from her waist and slashed into Arria’s side. A cry of pain echoed through the trees and she mentally cursed herself at her clumsiness.

Drawing her sword from its scabbard, she neared closer to the elf, both nearly losing their balance on the thick branch. They both had to parry at each other with one foot in front of the other as one step to one’s side would prove a fatal drop. The strikes were obnoxious and Arria knew she had to end it quickly before the sudden noise from the trees would bring the elves below aware.

The elf in front of her wore only leather armor, no doubt to control her balance guarding the trees. An evil smile twisted at Arria’s lips as she pulled a throwing star from her pouch and threw it with impressive accuracy into the redhead’s right breast. Caught aback the elf slipped on the branch almost losing control while Arria ran at her full force dropping her sword back in its scabbard. Arria leaped into the air and landed behind the redhead who barely had time to realize her fate.

Pulling a dagger from sash Arria grabbed the soft red hair with her right hand as she covered the elf’s mouth with her left. She could feel hot air on her hand in an attempt of a scream that was unheard. Letting go of her hair Arria now angled her dagger in front of the redhead who saw it with another attempt to scream before it slit through her throat. Arria caught the limp body in her arms and gently pulled her to rest against the trunk of the tree.

She knelt down to the redheaded elf and smiled a cruel heartless smile before pushing her eyelids closed. Bringing the dagger to her lips she licked the fresh blood from the dagger before placing it back in its pouch. Standing she observed the area making sure there were no more elves around before leaping to the next tree.

Everything became a blur as she raced fast through the treetops feeling only the cold wind as it brushed across her charcoal face. Her white hair was a tangled mess as she sat on a branch looking onward. The elven capital was in front of her now and she smiled. The hardest part was to come as she observed the defenses and noticed it was only intensified.

She leaped from the last tree onto the surrounding marble wall of the castle. It was a beautiful sight to see a castle amongst the trees. Though it would be even more beautiful shattered and destroyed in ruins. Arria smiled. Yes… that would be a lovely sight.

Slipping unnoticed over the walls she hid behind a royal rose bush as the guard walked past her searching the ground for any misplacement. Once he was out of sight she dashed on cutting through alleys and climbing up walls. She wouldn’t be able to go the normal way as too many guards blocked the entrance. Luckily she spent a lot of time in the castle in her younger years. The king, Elsargast, had thought highly of her and her sister.

After several minutes of climbing she found what she was looking for, a loose stone. It was large enough for a person to slip through if it were removed. Carefully she loosened it as much as she could as she held to the wall. Once it was halfway out she dashed black powder on it chanting silent words she pulled it out and it fell to the ground, crashing, without a sound.

Taking one more glance around she hopped into the castle and dashed through the hall avoiding the passerby’s. She ran up some stairs into the golden hall and smiled. Nothing stood in her way now as she walked up to the king’s door. Her hand reached out ready to open the double doors when the clinking of metal echoed in her ears. Turning around she saw a male elf with long brown hair behind his long pointed ears. Two sabres were held in an x in front of him with gold and black hilts.

“You will not be allowed in the king’s chamber, dead elf.” He spoke.

“Vil’ek, it has been a while. Are you still a slave to the king’s will?” Arria snarled.

“I am on the side of the elves, remember, you used to be one once.” Vil’ek stated.

A mouthful of distaste showed on Arria’s face. To be considered as one of these elves once was an insult to her being. She shook the thought out of her head and looked to Vil’ek. He was attractive for a male elf and she remembered the nights and days they both shared. She licked at her lips as she remembered the sleepless nights she spent at his place. Yes… she remembered now… as an elf they were lovers.

She stepped closer licking her upper lip in a look of ecstasy letting her hips swing in a seductive motion. Vil’ek stumbled as he tried to back away from her. The sight of her having such an effect on him was pleasing especially when she hadn’t even put on her seductive charm yet. She figured she wouldn’t need it but she felt her hands grab a pinch of black powder which she blew into the air.

Vil’ek stopped trying to back from her and stepped forward now placing his two sabres in their scabbards. Arria, smiling now, walked to him and put her arms around him feeling his warmth across her chilled body. Her arms traveled finding themselves placed on his muscular arms sending chills down to her groin. A burning desire came across her as she touched him, no doubt from the times they’d shared before.

Her hands trailed up to his face where she brushed away his long brown hair that teased in front of his eyes. Most of his hair was tied behind in a ponytail but a few strands still found their way in his face. Both her hands were behind his head now and she pulled him into her feeling his lips graze across hers. The small flame inside her now ignited in desire as she climbed onto him wrapped her legs around his waist kissing him passionately.

Through all the haze she finally caught herself and let go of her grip, slowly sliding back to reality she placed her feet back on the ground. “My love, come with me and together we can rule.”

Vil’ek was still speechless and the dark magic still had him under its control. He seemed to have the urge to fight it but he could not fight it past Arria’s lips. Now that she was released from him he seemed to gather himself and looked at her. A smile overtook his face as he gently placed his hand on Arria’s cheek.

“I will always love you.” He admitted.

Arria smiled a true and heartfelt smile for the first time as an undead elf.  She grabbed his hand in hers and continued to the door when a scream echoed the air from within the castle. Vil’ek’s spell was now broken and he came to noticing his ex-lover’s hand in his. Disgusted he shook his hand free and pulled a sabre from its scabbard slashing across Arria’s face.

A scream of her own echoed through the hall as she felt her bloody cheek. She looked to Vil’ek noticing his spell now gone she knew it was too late to remove more black magic. She would make him hers one day, but the day was not today. She lost sight of her mission the moment her lips touched his and she could no longer afford the delay. Removing her sword she parried at him quickly splicing his hand causing him to drop his sabre. She then jumped at him knocking him unconscious with the hilt of her flamberge.

She took a step to his sleeping body and set him upright against the wall. Kneeling down she touched his face feeling its warmth one last time. Kissing her middle and index finger she then placed them upon his lips and smiled. One day… he would be hers again.

Finally breaking in to the double doors of the king’s chamber she shut the doors behind her. Attached to her back she removed a steel staff which she barred the doors with before turning to walk up to the king. The red carpet felt soft below her feet as she followed the trail to the throne. The white marble sparkled around the red carpet, but she hardly noticed. She was looking at the golden chair with red satin comforters on it where the king sat watching her approach.

“Hello my sire.” Arria smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 87 17
*This story is under major editing, and many events will be changed, for those who have already read this story. I will try my best to finish it as f...
52 0 1
The world’s old Gods lie dormant, imprisoned for centuries in a timeless rift. For many years they have accepted the fate of their actions, yet the...
2.5M 18.6K 59
The brave warrior Searon is haunted by the deaths of his wife and children at the hands of the savage reptilian draeyks, who are on a bloodthirsty ra...
1.1K 218 72
Volume Three of the Ontogeny series. The human world is aflame with war. Nations clash with their neighbours, while the Kelvon Empire, bulwark of th...