A Second Chance **Watty Award...

Per CARLI123

What would you do if you were given the opportunity to live your life all over again? What if you take this o... Més

A Second Chance: Description
A Second Chance: Chapter 1
A Second Chance: Chapter 3

A Second Chance: Chapter 2

422 21 12
Per CARLI123

Authors Note:

Wow guys, I honestly can't believe how many comments the first chapter got - IN TWO DAYS OF UPLOADING!! All I can say is thank you so much, and I can't believe how many supporters I have! You guys all rock, and I am doing a shout out to each and every one of you!

Here's the second chapter of the book! Please vote, comment, and even fan! 

Also, I entered into a competition!! Please check out my other story & vote for it; It'd mean alot.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Chapter 2:

The next morning I woke up with a  big smile on my face. I knew that today was the first day towards changing my entire career completely. I decided to wear my blue striped blazer, with a silky white blouse underneath. I added a blue high wasted skirt with it and paired with my favourite white heel shoes. My heart fluttered with excitement when I imagined that I earned that promotion today.

I grabbed my purse, and headed outside my apartment to go to work. I stood anxiously outside the elevator as it was being counted down from floor 13. I was on the sixth floor, yes it wasn't that high up from the ground, but still I didn't feel like running down six floors just to go to work today - especially in heels.

As the elevator door approached my floor the door opened and a young blonde man stood there. 

He was gazing at his newspaper that he must of picked up this morning, and wore a professional suit which had golden hem lines all around it. His brief case was a oak wood with a gold rim. It stood perfectly right beside him. He looked like one of those business advertisements you would see of a high class job employee. 

As I entered the elevator, he didn't even bother to acknowledge my presence. I shook my head, he was definitely a snob.

I stood there in awkwardness, as I gave him the occasional glance just admiring his looks. I had never seen this man before, he could have just moved in recently but living in this apartment for almost eight years, I managed to get well acquainted with my neighbours.

 I wanted to turn to face him, and introduce myself to him. He looked as if he was in his mid thirties, and off to a very important business meeting. He was very good looking for a man close to my age, and I felt a rush of excitement just wanting to get to know him, and even a potential romance.

I gathered up my confidence, and struck out my hand while I turned to face him. "Hi I'm Paulin -" 

The elevator door swung open and we were on the main floor. He looked straight up from his newspaper and walked out, still not acknowledging the fact that I was in there with him.

Was I invisible completely to the attractive male species? 

I walked out of the elevator and continued my short walk to the car. As I glanced outside the clear glass windows on the main floor, I let out a loud sigh.

"You have got to be kidding me!" I shouted, as I stared outside into the horrible rain, as it pounded hardly against the glass.

I saw a thin woman walk outside for two seconds with her umbrella, as he umbrella flew down the street from the strong winds and she walked back inside drenched in water. I slapped my forehead and stomped my feet against the ground. I knew I looked really childish at the moment, but this day had to just keep getting worse.

I pulled out my cellphone and dialled Mr. Willox's number, I was going to confirm with the boss if today was canceled. The phone rang for a few seconds, and lead straight to voice mail. I grunted in anger and walked towards the flat screen at the end of the main floor.

"And today, weather reports suggest that all citizens stay within their homes today due to the serve weather conditions, as they could be vital, or even deadly. Three have been reported dead from a car crash, which went sliding off the highway. Yes, it slid off the highway into a nearby ditch, Police reports that the car was not speeding but the highlands blew it towards the side and now for breaking news with Taylor McCall stay tuned…"

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" I shouted so loud that people turned to stare at me as if I was mental.

Maybe this was God's test to see if I was worthy enough of having this position? Or maybe it was Mr. Willox's test, to see who would put their work over everything, regardless of some stupid weather report.

 I gathered up my pride once more, and headed to the main desk in my apartment. 

"Do you guys have any umbrellas that I can borrow? I have an important business meeting and I don't feel like running upstairs."

The girl stared at me with her mouth wide open as she chewed her gum disgustingly.

"Well… *chew* I might *chew* have some *chew* here *chew* ok?" She looked at me with questioning eyes, I didn't understand a word in her sentence…

"Um, can you just hand me an umbrella?" I spoke impatiently.

She rolled her eyes and placed a spare umbrella on the desk. I grabbed it and headed right into the rain, I wouldn't give up the day for my promotion in the world.

 *****

 As I entered the office building I saw David standing casually at my desk going through some of my drawers. 

Was he trying to get background information on me or something?

I began quietly walking so he wouldn't hear me to see what he was doing, but my heel got twisted over some computer wire as I tripped and fell flat out on my face.

I remained in that position for a few movements, maybe he would think something fell…

He came rushing to where he heard the sound and started laughing.

 "Oh Paulina, your a clumsy one huh?" He offered his hand to help me up but I slapped it away.

"The power cord shouldn't be in the middle of the hallway. It's dangerous." I commented while laying on the ground hurt from the fall.

"Well that's where all the computers connect to the outlet... so I'm pretty sure you weren't suppose to walk there anyways..." He said laughing his head off.

I tried to change the subject, to hide my embarrassment.

"Why were you snooping around my desk?" I asked curiously, scanning his face to see if he was going to make up an excuse.

"Snooping? Ha, no silly! Last night we had an office party, you missed it. It was quite the big hit! Someone spilt their drink all over your desk, I had to clean it up."

He smiled and offered his hand once again, "Are you going to lay on the floor and talk to me or would you like to stand up?" He let out a soft chuckle and I grabbed his hand pulling myself up.

"I had better things to do last night, you know uh, things popped up!" I said quickly, trying to think of an excuse.

"Yeah, I'm sure they did Paulina…" David mumbled, but I could hear it.

"Why'd you even come into work anyways?" I asked.

"Had a feeling you were going to come in today, and we were going to be alone… and I wanted to tell you my business proposition."

 Business proposition? What?

He walked around and sat down at my desk glaring at me to come over there. I walked over there slowly and sat down right beside him, he began smiling devilishly into my eyes.

I got a little bit creeped out, and I knew where I kept my envelope knife if he tried to do something. I glared at the drawer, knowing my distance if I needed to get a quick grab at it.

"You won't need to kill me Paulina, relax." He put his feet on my desk and stretched out lazily.

"Though you may be a little mad, but hey you'll get over it right." He yawned and turned to face me, with his feet still piled onto my desk.

 "What are you trying to say David…" 

"Trying to say that I got the position, you know, Vice President? Yeah. Mr. Willox agreed that I was best suited for it." He searched my eyes seeing that I was about to reach for the drawer. He stamped his foot down, making sure I couldn't touch it and looked at me sheepishly. "But on the bright side now that I'm in a great position, I could always make you my assistant? You could get my coffees in the morning, set up my meetings…" He relaxed for a minute just imagining the possible ways to make my life hell.

 "You have got to be kidding me." I responded dryly. I clenched my fists so hard, I could feel my nails digging into my skin. Everything in my body wanted to reach over and punch this guy out, hopefully make him unconscious so that maybe I could get that position. Or better yet… how did he even get the position? I was suppose to be VP, not David!

My life was already hell once, and I didn't feel like reliving hell all over again.

Not this time.

 "How the hell did you get that position anyways?" I glared at him with a deadly look.

"Well, a few shots of vodka in his drink and hey, that man will go on for hours talking about everything." He rushed his fingers through his hair, "You see, I am the type of person that goes for power. Honestly, it has nothing to do with you Paulina, you're simply lovely but you could always help me…" He pouted his lips, trying to use a smouldering look. 

I shook my head and laughed. 

"You disgust me you know that? You are a pig, and not only that you manipulate people so they can do whatever you want." I stood up and grabbed him by his collar, "And you know what it doesn't work on me. I'm not some pet you can control. Get your act together." 

I let go of his collar and began storming my way out, letting my emotions get the best of me.

 Everything inside be began to break down, I worked so hard for so many years and some jackass comes along and decides to take my position, over a few shots of vodka? If that's the way the workplace was, just like high school… I clearly knew nothing. I mean, I was the smartest girl in class - when I did make appearances to class. I tried so hard every day to pretend I was sick. I used a blow dryer against my forehead to enhance my temperature, I even ate something that was old so I could get food poisoning!

That was definitely the stupidest thing… but hey I stayed out of the way of Natasha for a few days, which was far more better.

 I  began to feel tears weld up in my eyes, as everything I worked so hard for fell apart right in front of me. I quickly rushed into the girls washroom, I had nowhere to go at this moment, and I didn't feel like taking my emotions out or even embarrassing myself to the public, or Mr. Willox for that matter.I sat down against the stall, just crying.

 Suddenly everything around me became so real, and another horrendous flash back came.

It was sophomore year and my friend Annie and I were sitting just three tables down from the popular kids, just eating our lunch.

"Annie do you ever imagine yourself with them?" I sighed, while gazing at their table as they were all talking.

"With who the popular kids?" She cocked an eyebrow and snorted, "Never Paulina! They are a bunch of snobs who will go nowhere in life. Plus they always throw stupid shit at us, like really? Throwing hotdogs are getting kinda lame!" She shouted the last part, hoping that they would hear. 

 She tapped her pen on her notebook and began writing again.

"Yeah but if we were apart of that group, or I mean even on the cheer squad then they couldn't tease or torment us as much… think of it as joining alliances." I smiled brightly, trying to look for the positive spin on this.

Ever since I met Natasha she always had found some way to tease and torment me. 

But now we're sophomores, and her popular crowd just keeps getting bigger. They're all attractive, there's no doubt about it. But they throw food at us occasionally and shout stupid things in the hall.

Not to mention on Facebook and twitter they talk about us. 

 I wanted to put an end to this, I really did. I knew what I had to do, and that was to join the cheer leading squad.

"Annie, I'm going to join the cheerleadng squad. It may be a long run, but I think it will change everything." I slammed my fist to the table, eagerly wanting to go to that try out.

Annie began hysterically laughing. "You have go to be kidding me!" She shouted through her tears of laughter. "You really think that they are going to let you?" 

"It's worth a shot…" I said positively, it was definitely worth a shot, and I had to see my chances. I stood up and walked over to the popular table, gaining every ounce of confidence I had and confronted Natasha.

 Her long brunette hair swung over her eyes. She had bright hazel eyes that complimented her olive skin tone with her hair. Her smile was white as pearls, and her make up was well put. It gave her eyes a drastic look, and even her lips. Her lips were full, and remarkably beautiful also. She looked like a Victoria Secret model, and I looked like a piece of scum under someones shoe compared to her. Not even that, that would be considered a compliment.

 "Natasha, I'm trying out for the cheer leading squad." I confidently said, while I interrupted her story.

She flipped her hair and faced me smiling, "Are you now? Well, we would totally be excited to have you try out!" She said sarcastically. Her words definitely sounded like poison.

"When's the try out?" I said, still remaining my confidence. I tucked my brown frizzy hair behind my ear, and smiled my bracy metal mouth at her.

"Meet us in the gym, 3pm. Don't be late." She wavered me off as if I was some servant and I came back to my table triumphantly.

"So… you embarrass yourself enough or you just about finished?" Annie stared at me awaiting my reply.

"I'm going to that try out Annie. With your support or not." I stood up grabbed my books and left for my next period.

******

I stood in the gym at 2:55 pm, I decided to be early rather than loose my only chance of making peace with Natasha finally. I glared around waiting for Natasha. The entire gym was dark,

and I couldn't see a thing. I slipped twice even trying to walk to the centre of the gym. 

"Stupid janitor," I mumbled to myself. 

I heard the gymnasium doors open, and Natasha turned on the lights and carefully made her way to the bleachers, as she knew the floor was slippery.

"I can tell you slipped already!" She shouted through the gym, as it made a large echo. "It's all over your clothes. And the first rule is you need a cheer leading attire. So go change into these clothes and come back."

She threw me a pair of lulu lemon short shorts, and a sports bra. 

 My eyes widened. I was suppose to expose that much skin? I bit my lip and began walking carefully to the girls change room. I slipped on the short shorts, and sports bra and mentally slapped myself!

I had forgotten to shave my legs, and they looked like a grizzly bear fur! Even my arm pits weren't shaved.

 Should I say no? Avoid embarrassment?

Nah.

I thought to myself, it was only Natasha in the gym.

 I walked out and two more girls were sitting beside her wearing their cheer leading uniform, I walked out trying to avoid raising my arms and trying to cover my legs best as possible.

"Eww that's gross, you're not even shaved?!" Natasha shouted while laughing and whispering to her friends while they all laughed. 

"If I knew today was the try out I would have!" I shouted, still trying to remain every ounce of confidence I had left.

"Whatever. Do fifty jumping jacks." She yawned.

 I did fifty jumping jacks slowly, trying to remain my balance on the slippery floor, exposing my hairy arm pits to them. They began dying of laughter, and I blushed in red from embarrassment.

"Alright now, do some cart wheels and give us a cheer." 

 Easy. I thought.

 I did a cartwheel and landed flat out on my face from the slippery floor, her friends began laughing hysterically. I got up, and smiled and tried again, but fell on the slippery floor once more.

"My goodness!" She shouted, getting angry that I was trying to be an embarrassment for cheer leading, and wasting her time.

One of the girls whispered something to her ear, and she nodded while smiling devilishly. 

 We went on for the past hour going through drills, and the last thing she asked was how I was feeling.

"Well, I am sweaty, and I feel gross." I said, she smiled and told me that she will tell me the results tonight, and to go on Facebook as she will chat me.

I smiled, and said my thank you, and got dressed.

 "You can keep that outfit by the way, it's yours" She smiled and walked out of the change room.

 I went home that night and sat patiently on Facebook, waiting for Natasha to message me. Suddenly on my news feed, Natasha uploaded some video of "Cheer leading gone wrong. Fucking L-O-S-E-R!"

I felt my heart clench as I watched the video. They zoomed in on my hairy legs, and hairy arm pits. They cut out everything that I did right, and kept all my falls, and tumbles. 

Even my struggles! I couldn't help but keep my hand to my face while I cried, and felt my heart break.

 The ending of the video was of me, "I am gross and I am sweaty. Not only that I am so hairy, I could be related to Big Foot himself. Boys call me up." Then there was a picture of me smelling my hairy arm pit -

I was trying to put deodorant on! I cried helplessly as I sat in front of the computer watching comments pop up from everyone,

"Ew that's fucking gross!"

 "What a freak!" 

"Who is this chick LOL.."

 "What the fuck… that's fucked!"

"Yo baby I can shave you for free! Please clean up that mess"

"Did she actually think she could cheer lead? Cheer leading gone wrong for sure!"

 And more hateful comments. I cried too hard to even read the rest. I couldn't show my face at school, I thought. I never wanted to go back, and I never wanted to try and make peace with Natasha ever again.

I awoke from that flashback, shaking and still crying, but even harder this time. Every memory felt so surreal, and I wanted it all to end.

"Please, go away." I shouted through tears.

Continua llegint