The Usual... A Max Schneider...

Autorstwa theundisclosedgirl

Symphony Andrews leads a relatively quiet life... She co-owns a small yet popular coffee shop with her dad, w... Więcej

Chapter One: Star Gazing
Chapter Two: Rolling Thunder
Chapter Three: Opportunity
Chapter Four: Late at Night
Chapter Five: Figuring it Out
Chapter Six: Gentleman
Chapter Seven: Cliche but Not
Chapter Eight: Lukewarm
Chapter Nine: Stay
Chapter Ten: Fearful
Chapter Eleven: Rebellion
Chapter Twelve: Without
Chapter Thirteen: Right of Passage
Chapter Fourteen: The Answer
Chapter Fifteen: His Own Drawer
Chapter Sixteen: For His Sake
Chapter Seventeen: How'd that Happen?
Chapter Eighteen: Spoiled
Chapter Nineteen: Cards
Chapter Twenty: Ready
Chapter Twenty-One: Beautiful Mess
Chapter Twenty-Two: Gifting
Chapter Twenty-Three: Keeping Promises
Chapter Twenty-Four: Keeping Time
Chapter Twenty-Five: Wait Up
Chapter Twenty-Six: Lifted
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Right Person
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Relax
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Yours
Chapter Thirty: Trivial
Chapter Thirty-One: Cracked Plaster
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Three: Terminal
Chapter Thirty-Four: Coming to Terms
Chapter Thirty-Five: Wandering
Chapter Thirty-Six: Slipping
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Desperate
Chapter Thirty-Eight: It Matters
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Outage
Chapter Forty: Trying
Chapter Forty-One: New Life
Chapter Forty-Two: Loving
Chapter Forty-Three: Nervous
Chapter Forty-Four: Right Now
Chapter Forty-Five: Hitched
Chapter Forty-Six: Reason
Epilogue: Happy Little Family
Bonus: Alternate Plot Chapter

Prologue: The First Time in a Long Time

6.5K 68 20
Autorstwa theundisclosedgirl

~ Lost and insecure... You found me ~

Prologue: The First Time in a Long Time

I looked up from my book, hearing the gentle tinkling of the bells that hung above the entrance to the coffee house. Two older women with soft, white hair came in and sat at the booth in the very back by the window, talking and chatting and laughing like they'd known each other for years. I smiled at them as they passed, taking out my pad and pen and walking over to them.

"Hi, Simmy," one of them said, watching me approach. I smiled gently.

"Hello, Anne," I said. "Hi, Sally. Would you like your usuals?"

They both nodded. "What did you bake to have in the counter today?" Anne asked.

I chuckled. "Banana nut bread, brownies, and some fruit tarts."

Sally's eyes lit up. "Ooh, I'll take a brownie."

Anne nodded. "Make that two, dear."

I nodded and wrote it down, returning to behind the counter to fix their orders. I began on the coffee, their usual, listening to the hum of idle chatter in the shop and the piano music that played in the background.

The bells tinkled again, announcing the arrival of another customer. I smiled at the sound, turning and looking over my shoulder to see if they were another of my regulars. I furrowed my eyebrows at the sight my eyes met though, my hands stopping where they'd rested on the two mugs of coffee for the women.

A young guy, about my age, stood by the door, slowly tugging his coat off and hanging it on the rack beside the front mat. He pulled his grey beanie off, exposing short, dark brown curls that sat tousled on his head. He was short, maybe five foot four, with black combat boots strapped tightly to his feet, a pair of maroon skinny jeans on his legs and a white t-shirt underneath a thin grey zip-up hoodie. It was his eyes that made me stop though; his bright brown eyes that screamed hurt.

He was a regular alright; but not the regular I was used too, and one I hadn't seen in six months.

The man looked so lost it almost hurt, taking tentative steps towards the bar, where he'd always sat, pulling himself onto one of the comfortable barstools and looking down at his hands. Upon seeing him closer, I saw it must've been snowing outside in the cold Chicago air, since his hair was flecked with snowflakes that were slowly melting away in the comfortable warm of the shop, and his cheeks were flushed a gentle pink. I slowly turned back to the order for Anne and Sally, putting their drinks and brownies on a tray.

"I'll be with you in a moment, sir," I told him as I passed. He almost jumped at my voice, before slowly nodding and looking back at his hands.

"Take your time..." he told me quietly, his voice softer than I remembered it. I thought long and hard about all the times he'd come in here before, when he'd smiled and laughed bigger than the anyone I'd ever known. He always came in here with a pretty young girl, his girlfriend, I could only assume by the way they held hands and exchanged kisses. They'd come in here four or five times a week, order the same thing most of the time, talk for a while, and they'd leave, smiling and laughing like nothing in the world could go wrong. Incidentally though, I'd never managed to catch either of their names.

I slowly made my way back to the counter after I'd dropped off Anne and Sally's order, standing in front of him and smiling gently. "Your usual?" I asked him, trying to be soft. His brown eyes met mine, his eyebrows furrowing with confusion.

"I haven't been here in six months," he said. "How do you remember my usual?" he asked. I laughed gently, smiling warmly at him.

"You came in here regularly for about a year," I reminded him. "It's hard to forget an order like that when you make it so often."

The guy gave a tiny smile. "Yeah..." he said. "The usual would be great."

I smiled, turning and beginning to work on his coffee, humming gently to the soft piano melody. I looked over to the unoccupied piano in the corner, thinking that if no new customers came in, I could walk over there and play it for a few minutes.

I finished the coffee, not even giving it a second thought as I stooped to get the man two slices of the freshly baked banana nut bread from the counter, putting them on a plate and walking over to him. I set them down, seeing his look of confusion as I turned to leave.

"I didn't order any banana nut bread..." he told me, his voice still soft. I just chuckled, shaking my head slightly.

"It's on me..." I told him. He quickly shook his head trying his best to smile at me.

"You don't have to do that," he said, watching me. I shook my head again, shrugging.

"I remember it was your favorite thing to get here, besides your coffee," I explained. "You look like you need something anyway."

The guy slowly smiled, genuinely. "I appreciate that," he told me. I laughed, brushing my hair back behind my shoulder.

"Of course," I told him, moving to wipe down the counter. I felt him watching me, but didn't say anything, my mind absently wondering about what could've changed to make him so drastically different. I slowly thought that maybe since he was alone, it might've had something to do with the girl.

I finished wiping down the counter, my eyes quickly scanning the place to make sure no one needed anything, before slowly walking to the back to turn off the music. I returned to the front and moved to the piano, sitting down in front of it and finding my fingers moving before I even thought about it. They played chords and pressed keys that formed gentle, quiet melodies, movements practiced and learned for long years, since I was very young. I closed my eyes, smiling to myself as I played, feeling at home.

It must've been a good fifteen minutes I played, before finally deciding I needed to get up and actually work. I sighed, slowly making my way back over to the counter.

"You're pretty good," I jumped at the man's voice, looking over to where he still sat, taking his last few sips of coffee and getting up, walking over to the register. I smiled a little, quietly thanking him for the compliment. "Can I ask your name?" he said, watching me as I rang up his coffee.

"Symphony," I told him. "Symphony Andrews. Most people just call me Simmy."

The guy smiled. "I'm Max," he said. "Max Schneider," he told me, sticking his hand out for me to shake. "I think it's weird I came here for a whole year and never knew your name."

I laughed. "Maybe a little," I said, watching him pull a five dollar bill from his wallet. "Usually by about the third week I know my regulars by name."

Max smiled. "It was nice meeting you," he said, watching me hand him his change. He took it and another five from his wallet, putting it all in the tip jar beside the register.

"You too," I told him. "Will you be coming around more often?"

Max chuckled. "I think so," he told me.

I smiled. "Well I guess I'll see you then, huh?"

I watched as he chuckled, taking his receipt from me and nodding. "I guess so."

* * * * *

I sighed, shutting my apartment door behind me as I walked through the door that night. I kicked out of my work shoes and dropped my back by the welcome mat, sighing slightly as I hung my jacked up on the hook on the wall. I heard a soft mewing sound coming from further inside, making me smile as I rubbed my eyes, walking into the small living room and chuckling a little.

"C'mere, Storm..." I called softly, smiling lovingly as I watched the dainty grey cat come padding over to me. "Hi baby..." I murmured, stooping over and scooping him up in my arms, listening to him purr contently. "How's my man of the house?" I laughed, scratching his neck at that one spot that always made him mew softly. I chuckled, carrying him over to my couch and plopping down happily, petting my kitty.

A banging knock on the door made me jump, rolling my eyes as I sat Storm down beside me. "It's open, Lucas," I called, having recognized the secret knock we made up years ago in high school. Lucas opened my front door and strode in like he was at home, walking behind me and pressing a kiss to the top of my head as I watched his lanky figure make his way into the kitchen.

"Hey sweetie," Lucas said, reaching into the fridge for a bottle of water, flicking his long black hair out of his cobalt blue eyes. "How was work?" he asked, grabbing a glass and fixing me some tea.

Lucas had been my best friend since high school. We met because he'd seen me at the movies one night, and he'd asked me out. After a couple of dates though, we found out we worked so much better as best friends. We had always been so close, and both of us loved it that way. I couldn't ever think of him as any more than my brother.

"It was work," I laughed at my best friend, watching him come to sit beside me on the couch, his fingers cleaning the lenses of his black, thick rimmed glasses. "Remind me to call dad later. We need to have someone come fix the second freezer."

Lucas nodded. "Can do," he said. "Am I working tomorrow or you?"

I frowned. "Both of us," I said. "Speaking of, do you remember that regular that stopped coming about six months ago?"

Lucas chuckled. "That guy who always came in with the same girl. She had the most complicated order ever."

I laughed. "Yeah," said. "Them."

Lucas looked down at me. "What about them?" he asked, reaching for the tv remote. I frowned again, sitting cross-legged and turning to look into his freckled face.

"The guy came in tonight," I said. "Without the girl. I think something happened," I paused. "He isn't the same."

Lucas furrowed his eyebrows. "Symphony," he said. "What're you getting at?"

I sighed. "I feel bad for him," I admitted. "You should've seen him, Lucas..." I frowned. "He looked broken."

My best friend shook his head at me, ruffling my hair. "You're weird sometimes, you know that sweetie?"

I laughed. "I guess," I said. "Are you staying the night?"

Lucas shrugged. "Thinking about it," he told me. "How else am I supposed to get up in time to work?"

I chuckled, patting his leg. "I'm gonna go get ready for bed," I told him. "Help yourself."

Lucas nodded. "Goodnight, sweetie," he called. "I love you."

I laughed. "I love you too."

I walked down the hall, feeling Storm following closely. He padded into my bedroom, jumping onto my bed and purring contently. I laughed to myself, peeling off my clothes and reaching into my closet for an oversized t-shirt. I walked into the bathroom, smiling slightly at my reflection.

I, strangely, didn't have that many body issues. My long, bright red hair fell pin-straight down my back, nearly to my waist, and I never had to do anything to make it lay flat. I was pale, but I was okay with that, small freckles adorning my entire face. I had bright, forest green eyes that popped against my pale skin. I wasn't very tall at all, barely above five feet, but I was really okay with that. I had decent boobs, a decent butt, my stomach was flat; I loved my body. It took me a long time to love it, but I did.

I washed my face and threw my hair up in a ponytail, brushing my teeth and smiling to myself as I walked back into my bedroom. I threw the blankets back, plugging my phone up and making myself comfortable in bed. I snuggled up under the covers, watching Storm curl up on the pillow beside me.

"Goodnight, baby," I murmured, closing my eyes and allowing sweet slumber to whisk me away.

* * * * *

I laughed as Lucas tried to balance seven cups of coffee and a muffin in his arms, trying to deliver them to a waiting table. I smiled as I swept away three of the coffees and the muffin, walking over with him and distributing them around the table. Lucas shot me a grateful smile, bumping my shoulder and laughing boyishly as we walked back behind the counter.

"Is that regular supposed to come in again today?" Lucas asked, wiping down the counter. I chuckled, pushing my hair back.

"He didn't really say," I told him. "He just said he'd be around more often."

Lucas grinned, nodding his head in the direction of the door. "I think he meant today."

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking over at the door and seeing Max slowly shedding his coat. Lucas sent me a look and wiggled his eyebrows, making me roll my eyes and hit him with my rag as Max came and sat at his usual spot at the counter.

"Hi, Max," I greeted, sending him a smile. He smiled back, and I made a mental note that his smiles looked more and more genuine every time he sent them my way.

"Hey baby," he said, watching me. I blushed slightly, though didn't say anything, since I knew he said it to a lot of girls.

"Your usual?" I asked, already turning and beginning to make it. I heard him laugh, though quietly, and could feel his smile as he spoke.

"That'd be wonderful," he said. I chuckled, making his coffee and speaking as I did.

"Do you want a muffin or something?" I asked. "I saved a couple of pieces of the banana nut bread from yesterday, if you like."

Max laughed. "Yes, please, Symphony," he responded. I stopped momentarily, trying to figure out why a chill ran through my back when he spoke my name.

I had his coffee done quick enough, and then got his bread, setting them down in front of him. Max smiled at me, quietly thanking me as I went back over to ring up another customer.

"Simmy?" Lucas's voice was suddenly beside me. "How much would you hate me if I asked you to cover the rest of my shift?"

I sighed. "What time is it?"

Lucas smiled sheepishly. "Nine..."

I groaned. "Lucas, that's an hour before our shifts end!"

My best friend shot me a grin. "But that girl I've been talking to just called and said she's lonely..."

I rolled my eyes, shoving his shoulder. "Just go, loser," I laughed. "Are you coming back to my apartment afterwards, or are you gonna...?"

Lucas shrugged. "I don't know yet," he said. "I've got a key though, if I need it."

I nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow then."

Lucas grinned, pecking the top of my head. "Thanks, sweetie," he told me, reaching for his jacket. "I love you!"

I laughed. "You better," I teased. My best friend stuck his bottom lip out and pouted, making me chuckle. "I love you too."

Lucas winked at me, before disappearing out the back door. I sighed, then groaned, realizing Lucas had been my ride. I frowned, not really wanting to take the subway.

"Boyfriend?" my gaze snapped up, looking down the bar at a pair of soft brown eyes. I smiled assuringly, shaking my head.

"Best friend," I elaborated. "Brother," I said. "He's actually a little bit of a man whore," I laughed.

Max chuckled, watching me gently. "Well, love is unconditional, right?"

I smiled. "It is that," I said. "Because if it wasn't, I'd probably hate Lucas," I teased.

Max laughed. "You two look like you've known each other for quite some time."

I nodded. "We endured high school together," I said, moving my stool over to sit in front of him. I couldn't exactly figure out what I felt so comfortable talking to Max, but I did. "He's the only guy I've ever told that I love, other than my dad of course."

Max watched me. "Have you ever felt that way about another guy?" he asked. "I mean, have you ever loved another guy?"

I smiled and shook my head, looking down at my hands. "I mean, I've dated other guys before, but I've never actually been in any kind of love like that."

Max rolled his eyes, playfully. "I don't get that," he said. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking up at him.

"What don't you get?" I asked, brushing my hair behind my ear. Max smiled slightly, cocking his head a little.

"How such an unrealistically beautiful girl like you, Simmy, has never gotten to experience being loved," Max whispered. I blushed, hardcore, sputtering out a soft thank you for the compliment and trying not to meet his gaze. He didn't seem to really notice my reaction to his kind words, just smiling gently at me.

"Where're you from?" I asked, trying to push the conversation topic away from me. Max chuckled, leaning back slightly and running his index finger along the rim of his coffee mug.

"Manhattan," he told me. "Born and raised a New Yorker. I currently live between here and LA, but I'm here for a while for an acting job," Max smiled slightly, looking up at me. "You?"

I rested my face in my hand, leaning on the counter with my elbow. "Seattle," I told him. "I moved here fresh out of high school with my dad," I said. "I, uh..." I paused blushing slightly as I gestured around the little coffee shop. "I co-own this shop with my dad."

Max's eyes widened, a sparkle appearing in their brown color. "Really?" he asked. I nodded, smiling slightly.

"It was always my dream to just run a little shop like this," I admitted. "Just a quiet little place to be for a little while. I get to bake, and be surrounded by the smell of coffee all day," I giggled. "So my father helped make that dream come true. He bought the place, helped me fix it up, and now we run it. He takes care of the financial and technical sides of it, and I run the shop."

Max laughed. "That awesome," he told me. "That sounds like a such a quiet life."

I smiled and nodded. "It is, and I love it," I said, honestly. "I couldn't imagine myself any other way."

Max slowly bit his lip, suddenly seeming timid and almost... broken, just like he had yesterday when he walked in. He scratched the back of his neck, suddenly making it a priority not to meet my gaze. I frowned slightly, watching him carefully.

"Hey..." I spoke, softly. "Are you..." I paused. "Are you okay?" I said. "You don't seem like the same guy who came in here six months ago."

Max slowly nodded, trying his best to smile at me again. "Yeah..." he said, slowly. "I'm okay," he told me. "There's just..." Max sighed, shaking his head.

"I'm not the same guy," he spoke. "A lot has happened in the last six months."

I frowned. "I'm sorry," I said. "I really am."

Max smiled tentatively, suddenly looking up at me with such sincerity in his eyes it knocked the breath out of my body. "All I know," he told me. "Is that last night, sitting in here with you, was the first time I've genuinely smiled in all that time," he whispered.

I sat there speechless for a moment, trying to contain my raging butterflies. Max suddenly bit his lip again, looking down from my gaze. "I'm really sorry," he said. "I shouldn't have just sprung that on you, I just-"

I put my hand over his on the counter, making him flinch slightly, before relaxing. He slowly met my gaze, and I sent him an assuring smile. "That was really sweet," I said. "Thank you."

Max slowly smiled, sheepishly. "When do you, uh..." he paused, swallowing. "When do you get off?"

I cocked my head at him. "Huh?"

Max smiled, genuinely. "I thought maybe since your friend left, you might need a ride home..." he said. "Unless you'd rather take the subway."

I laughed, looking up at the clock. "I get off in about half an hour," I told Max. "A ride would be wonderful."

Max grinned. "Great."

* * * * *

"I'll see you around, Max," I said, closing the door of his car after me. "Thanks for the ride."

Max grinned. "No problem, baby," he said. "Do you work tomorrow?"

I shook my head. "Tomorrow's my day off," I told him. Max nodded, smiling slightly.

"I'll see you soon then," he told me. "Goodnight, Symphony."

I grinned, waving. "Goodnight, Max."

I slowly turned to walk up to the entrance of my apartment building, noting that Max didn't pull away until I was inside. I laughed slightly, taking the elevator up to the fourteenth floor and walking down the hallway to my apartment.

"So!" I jumped as I shut the door after myself, before rolling my eyes, shrugging out of my coat and scarf as I watched Lucas grin at me from the living room couch. "How was the rest of your evening?"

I rolled my eyes again, slipping out of my shoes and walking into my living room, reaching down and picking up a mewing Storm in my arms. "It was nice," I answered vaguely. "There were a couple of regulars to keep me company."

Lucas wigged his eyebrows, smirking as I sat down beside him. "You mean Max?"

I chuckled. "Yes, Max was one of them," I responded nonchalantly, shrugging slightly. "He's a good guy," I said, conveniently leaving out the part about him giving me a ride home.

Lucas rolled his eyes. "I think he's into you."

I chocked on air.

I looked at him through my coughs, trying to regain my composure. "You're ridiculous," I sputtered. "That's crazy. We only just officially met yesterday."

Lucas watched me with an amused expression. "Say what you will, Simmy," he said. "But the guys into you. I can spot a flirt from a mile away, and let me tell you, what he was doing?" he paused. "It was a flirt."

I rolled my eyes, kissing the top of Storm's head and putting him down. "You're insane, Lucas."

My best friend shrugged, smirking slightly. "Say what you want, sweetie, but I'd bet money that before too long, he'll be asking you out," he told me, watching as I stood and moved into the kitchen. I scoffed, bending over and grabbing Storm's water bowl to fill it. I fed him, quickly, trying not to think too much about what Lucas was saying.

"Why don't you order a pizza?" I suggested. "You can stay and we can watch a movie or something."

I heard Lucas sigh. "Sure thing, Simmy," he said, reaching for his phone. I rolled my eyes as I quickly threw the dishes into the dishwasher, thinking as I did.

Lucas couldn't be right, could he? I mean, it's been forever since a guy showed any kind of interest in me. Why would one, a really, really cute one, start now? I rolled my eyes at myself, scoffing. "You're crazy, Symphony," I mumbled to myself. "Absolutely insane."

"You're not insane," I let out a small yelp at Lucas' voice, dropping the glass in my hand.

"Dammit..." I mumbled, stooping over to pick up the unharmed glass. "Don't scare me like that, Lucas," I sighed. My best friend frowned, helping me back up.

"I'm sorry, sweetie," he said, slowly wrapping me in a hug. "Why do you think you're insane, though? Why do you think it's so insane a guy would take an interest in you? I mean, I did, all those years ago."

I rolled my eyes. "I still have yet to figure out why."

Lucas rolled his eyes. "Because you're a great person?" he said. "You're beautiful? You're fun?"

I chuckled to myself. "Glad you think so," I said. "But you and I both know its been quite a while since a guy really looked my way."

Lucas grinned at me. "So don't you think you're due for one?" he laughed. "C'mon, Symphony. If he likes you, then just go with it."

I sighed. "Alright, Lucas," I said. "But I'd bet you he doesn't like me!"

Lucas rolled his eyes. "Yeah right," he said. "A guy like him doesn't just smile like that at anybody."

I chuckled, shoving him towards the front door as someone buzzed. "Go get our pizza," I told him, pointing to my wallet on the counter. "There's a twenty there."

Lucas rolled his eyes. "You paid for Chinese the other night," he said. "I'll get the pizza."

I nodded, knowing arguing wouldn't get me anywhere. I wondered somewhere in the back of my mind how I'd gotten so blessed to have such an amazing best friend.

"Hey Lucas?" I called. Lucas looked back at me, smiling as he flicked his hair out of his eyes.

"Yeah, sweetie?" he said. I chuckled.

"I love you, bestie," I told him. Lucas grinned, rolling his eyes playfully.

"You're such a sap, Simmy," he laughed. "I love you too, loser."

______________________________________

Here it is!

I'm soooo super excited to start this :-)

Please leave a comment, let me know what you think?

Expect the update within a week!

You guys are awesome :3

-Casey

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

10.1K 296 29
Do you ever get the feeling you cant take anymore? Well alex gets that feeling every time she closes her eyes she knows she'll see her demon and not...
1.1K 134 25
Emmy Lorraine is living her life exactly the way she wants to - owning and running her quaint coffee shop, The Coffee Bean, and enjoying her solitary...
1.1K 22 10
Seth is young man. He has a good paying job and a good life. He's happy, and then he runs into the love of his life while shopping for groceries. She...
572K 24K 51
"I should've been your protection." * * * It's starts with a wedding. Tyler's band is playing at the wedding of Maggie's sister. The blue haire...