Bloodlines (On Hold)

De ImmortalDaydreams

It is said that blood is thicker than water. But, it can also be very slippery. In a world full of greed, po... Mais

Bloodlines 101
One ~ The Dream

Two ~ The Manhattan Manslaughters

21 1 1
De ImmortalDaydreams

She was in a lush green garden. Surrounded by flowers in full bloom and the scent of fresh, ripe, apples in the crisp, spring air. The sun shone through the branches, warming her cheeks. She sighed in content. Opening her eyes, she spotted something vibrant weaving through the bushes.

Leaping and hopping, the grass tickling her ankles, she chased the beautiful purple butterfly as it proceeded to fly in circles around her. She giggled, as she clapped her hands in delight, the little thing liked her! She reached out her hand and the beautiful butterfly rested upon her pinky.

Just as she was about to touch it, a soft, feminine voice called out to her.

She turned around, with a wide smile on her face, to show-

"Rosalind!"

My eyes flew open. Bright, yellow light assaulted my vision, causing my eyes to flicker in discomfort. As they finally focused, I noticed Serena's face looming over me with worried sea green eyes as she patted me repeatedly on the cheek.

Groaning in annoyance, I swatted her hand away and sat up.

"I'm awake, I'm awake, sheesh! No need to scream like a banshee." I protested as I rubbed my stinging cheeks.

Sighing in relief, Serena grabbed my shoulders and hugged me tight to her chest. Muttering unintelligible words under her breath for a couple of seconds.

"I thought something horrible happened to you! Do you have any idea how fucking worried I was?" She rushed in one breath as she rubbed my head.

To say I was surprised was an understatement. Serena was not a hugger. At all. Period.

The girl jumped five feet in the air if anyone touched her without warning. She was the awkward shoulder- patter when someone needed consoling and only hugged when her life absolutely depended on it and even then very awkwardly.

So yes, I was in shock from such a genuine gesture of affection. For a second or two I didn't know what to do, but then wrapped my arms around her torso and hugged her back.

Through Serena's arms, I heard Tori clear her throat.

"Oh right! Sorry about that, Rosa."

She finally released me with a sheepish grin and patted my shoulder awkwardly.

Oh, well, everything good must end. I slowly turned my head towards Tori, standing behind the sofa.

Just as I was about to tell her I was all right, I noticed her expression. With eyebrows set in a frown and lips pressed in a thin line, she had her arms crossed in front of her. I noticed she was tapping one of her feet, judging by the constant, annoying, tapping sound on the wooden floor.

She only acted like this when she was either annoyed, or when she expected a confession, which was weird because I was not guilty of anything... that I knew of. Well, if you didn't count the candy I stole from a toddler a few days ago. In my defense, the twerp was annoying me.

"What?"  I asked when she didn't quit it.

She narrowed her eyes further at me.

"You've been acting strange lately."

"Stealing candy from a baby is not strange!"

It wasn't! Especially not when the kid kept sticking his tongue out at you and making stupid faces! The little rat didn't deserve the unopened Snickers bar it held.

Her eyes widened.

"You stole candy from a baby? What-"

She threw her hands in the air and shook her head.

"You know what? No, I don't care, frankly, I'm not even surprised."

I smirked at her before she continued.

"You're appetite is gargantuan these days, more so than usual, not to mention, you've been vomiting these days. You've been moody lately for the past week or two and you're period has been over due for about the same amount of time as well."

Serena gasped as she slapped her hands over her mouth, her sea green eyes wide open in shock.

How the hell does she know my period schedule? I was more than a little freaked out.

Eyes darting around in confusion, my expression must have displayed how I was, clearly not, following Victoria.

The fight suddenly seemed to leave her as she rounded the corner and came and sat in front of me and grabbed my hands in hers.

"What's going on Rosalind?"

"Nothing is going on, Tori. I don't understand what you're trying to say."

She heaved out a heavy breath as she looked down at our hands. She was deliberately trying to avoid eye contact.

"You're not... pregnant are you?"

I leaped off the couch in utter shock, almost jumping six feet in the air.

"What? Where did that come from!" I squealed. If my jaw could drop to the floor, it would have crashed right through it.

Panicked, Tori stood up with me as she tried to calm me down again.

"I'm worried about you, Rosa! I'm sorry, but it's the only reason I can think of. You're a Witch so you can't get sick or anything, so I thought-"

"- You thought I was irresponsible enough to get knocked up." I accused.

How dare she think that? Has she forgotten already?

"What? No! I mean, what else am I suppose to think? If this isn't the case, then what is?"

"I don't know, okay? I don't! I'm as clueless as you are right now. Maybe I really am sick!"

"Witches can't get sick, you and I both know that!"

"Maybe I'm not a Witch then! I mean it's not like I have any powers that would indicate towards that. Maybe I'm human after all!" I throw my hands up in defeat.

That was not true; both of my parents were Praecantrix, it was impossible for myself not to be one.

"Why are you acting like that?" Tori asks, concerned.

"Acting like what?"

"Like this!" she gestures towards me. "So aggressive! This isn't like you, at all!"

"You're asking me if I'm pregnant when you know very well that I can't be! So, I'm sorry for getting a little angry, but this is how I always am!"

"No you're not."

This time, Serena spoke. I had forgotten she was even present. We both turn our heads to look at her getting up off the sofa and stand next to Tori.

"This isn't how you normally are. Tori's right, you're acting strange."

Suddenly a wave of anger hit me and right as I was about to blow, I stopped myself.

Since when did I start losing my temper so easily?

I had never been hot headed, I was always calm and in control of my emotions. I had made sure of that ever since...

I shook my head, not liking where my thoughts were headed. Maybe they were right. I was acting strange.

"I know I shouldn't say this, but I just thought about how you and Liam were working together so much that, I don't know, you guys got close or something."

"Close enough that I would have his baby?"

Tori's face masked over with guilt as she lowered her eyes to the ground.

"I thought... you were finally over that."

She looked up at me with eyes full of guilt.

I flinched.

How could I ever be over that?

I shook my head as struggled with my mind from taking me back three years.

I let out a sigh of relief as I succeeded in reeling my mind back to the present and focused upon a very sorry Victoria.

I cleared my throat as I struggled with keeping my voice from breaking.

"Tori, Liam is just a Vampire who happens to be working with me on a very important case, okay? Nothing more and nothing less. Now please, just drop this."

I turn around and ignore Victoria as she tried to make me listen to her.

As I walk back to my room, I wonder whether I should tell them about the dreams I had been having.

They will think nothing about them. They are just stupid nightmares caused by your job.

As annoying as it was, my inner voice was correct. My dreams did not have any effect on me. They were just dreams.

•♤•♤•♤•

Serena

Rosa turned her back on us as she stalked to her room, shaking her head along the way.

She's hiding something. I just know it!

I thought back to last night. I saw her bathroom light on when I was on my way to take care of my stupid bladder.

She was an early sleeper, unlike me, so I was curious why she was awake so late.

Of course, when I asked her, she told me everything was fine. Ha! Like I believed her, she actually thought I fell for her little lie! Nimrod.

Nevertheless, I let it go, knowing that she would not lie to me without a good reason. So, I decided to give her space for a while. Also, because I really wanted to go back to the Game Of Thrones marathon I was having and because my one true love, my bed, was getting cold.

When the pressure down there had been taken care of, I was headed back to my room when something very perplexing occurred.

I am still unable to explain to myself what it was. I had gotten strange vibes from Rosa. Somehow, I felt that she was terrified.

After grabbing a glass of water and giving it healing properties, I rushed back to check on her.

When I saw that her skin colour was back to normal and she no longer appeared sick, I thought everything was fine.

But what was it that had her so worried?

Then I remembered; the nightmare! She had a nightmare! The one she said she would tell me later- hey! She never told me about it! That liar!

Maybe that is what had her worried?

"Why are you constipated?"

Toto's voice brings me out of my musings. I turn to look up at her, since she is four inches taller than I am, with a confused face.

"Do I look constipated to you, bro?"

"Yeah, I wouldn't have asked otherwise."

What?

Before I could say anything else, she plants her hand on my purple head with a serious expression.

Involuntarily, I draw in a sharp breath, my eyes widening as I absorb the shock of the sudden, very uncomfortable, contact. I feel myself tense and freeze under her touch as I wait for it to go away.

Two seconds later, when it's still there, I look up at her to see the exact same expression.

Does she have to do this while touching me?

"What is it?" Annoyed, I ask.

"Shut up, child. I had an revelation."

Blood Witches did not get revelations. Still, I humored her.

"And what would that be, great old one?" I roll my eyes.

"That I should have food."

Before I could react, she withdraws her hand from my head, thank the Lord, and waddles to the kitchen.

Waddles.

At least, a human version of waddling. With hunched shoulders, she swung side to side while walking. For someone who came from an aristocratic back ground, she had terrible posture.

I follow her, making my way to the kitchen island and sit down on the chair. I watch as she heats last night's pizza with a frown.

I knew she was still thinking about Rosalind's behaviour recently, judging by how she was muttering under her breath.

"I'm worried about her too, Toto."

She sighs as she sits across from me and puts her plate on the white marble counter.

"What's going on with her, Serena? She's been under such a dark mood lately."

"I'm not sure. All I know is that she's been having nightmares." I admit.

I knew it was not something I should be telling her, but it didn't seem as if Rosa would be telling us any time soon. I decided that Victoria should at least know.

"Nightmares? Since when?"

I shrug.

"I guess ever since this mood of hers started."

"So, about... two weeks."

"Probably." I nod.

"How do you know?"

I tell her of what occurred last night, how I'd seen Rosa in the bathroom, terrified out of her mind.

"I felt strange vibes coming off of her last night. I can't explain it."

I told Victoria as I tried to figure out what exactly it was that had bothered me about what I felt last night.

"Maybe Alexis can help us?"

"Yeah. Only if her work schedule wasn't so demanding..."

Victoria nods her head in silent agreement.

Alexis had a passion for acting that was hard to ignore for anyone who knew her. She had participated in school plays and theatre all her life and had always won the lead roles. It was clear as day that she was born for the spotlight.

Which is why, at fourteen, she finally decided to pursue an acting career. That turned out to be the best decision Alexis had made. The ratings of the TV shows she starred in sky rocketed and before long, she was gracing the big screen as she starred in the biggest blockbuster hits out there.

Now, Alexis was one of the most high profile, well known celebrities, right along with Leonardo DiCaprio and Angelina Jolie, only at only twenty-one.

"Speaking of busy schedules, when is she getting home?"

"Well, she had countless interviews and talk shows today, not to mention the photo shoots for the magazines that have been hounding her these past few days."

A very anticipated movie was premiering in a couple of days, so everyone was trying to get the cast to talk about it. Which meant a busy day of work for Alexis.

"So she's getting home late." Victoria sighs. "I think she can really help us with Rosa, she's the only one we know who can."

"I know. It's either her, or looking for another Ancestral Witch."

"I mean, I have some in my Circle, but it's a waste of time with them."

Every Witch and Warlock has a Circle they belong to. Circles are very important to the Praecantrix because it helps to balance and enhance their powers once they join the community.

Circles act as exclusive communities, in which certain types of Praecantrix are allowed. Some only accepted the crème de la crème, who were either very high society and profile people, or, very powerful.

Every coven or Circle has a leader. The most prestigious covens have the most powerful leaders, which is why only the best of the best are accepted.

Toto happened to have very influential parents, which was why she belonged to one of the most Elite covens, to which also, unfortunately, the most arrogant and snobby people belonged.

"It's okay, Alexis will help us when she gets back."

Alexis was Ancestral. They were called that because they could contact and communicate with the dead. These witches excelled at the spirit and soul element. This meant that Alexis could look at Rosalind's aura and find out what troubled her.

Victoria sighed, dejected. She reached for the remote and turned on the T.V.

The news channel came on. A newscaster was discussing a headline that declared 'Six more added to the victim list of the Manhattan Manslaughters.'

She turned up the volume as the newscaster informed the audience about the unfortunate murders. They ranged from people as young as fifteen to as old as eighty-five. Their mutilated bodies were found all over Manhattan but the police had yet to find the culprit behind the mass murders.

The victim numbers had grown enormous, enough for the media to give the assassinations its own name. 'The Manhattan Manslaughters.'

I listened intently and found out the numbers were now nearing two hundred.

"I can't believe this is still going on." Victoria whispered, horrified at the news.

"Who's doing that to all those innocent people?" I gravely wondered.

The people were all inhumanly murdered. Tortured before they were mutilated to death. It took some of the families days to recognize the corpse of their loved ones, their bodies destroyed, beyond recognition.

It was a time of horror and bloodshed for Manhattan and the news would not let the civilians forget it.

The news channel showed footage of paramedics putting the corpses in body bags and wheeling them into an ambulance. Obviously, the bodies were pixilated for the sake of the audience's sanity.

Next to me, Victoria had her elbows rested on her knees and her hands covered her mouth. Her eyes wide, with horror.

I reached for the remote in Victoria's hands to change the channel, but before I could, a breaking news headline flashed across the screen.

In bold, red letters, it said:

"Manhattan Manslaughter victim numbers on the increase, five more bodies found."

•♤•♤•♤•

My feet hurt from pacing back forth in my room, contemplating whether if I should come clean about my nightmares or keep it in.

Are you stupid? You think they are going to accept nightmares as an excuse for whatever is happening?

However, as it turned out, my inner voice won.

Rosalind: 1

Inner voice: 1

I had just sat on my bed, coming to terms with my decision, before my phone started to ring.

I grab my Samsung and without checking the caller I.D, accept the call.

"Speak now, or forever hold your peace." I say as I fall back on my bed.

"I wasn't aware that I was getting married." An amused, smooth, voice with an English accent spoke up on the other line.

Recognizing whom it was, I jolted up and leaped off the bed.

"Miss Devereux! Sorry, I wasn't expecting your call!"

"That's alright, I didn't expect to call you."

Tara Devereux was then woman in charge of our Organisation. She was the first ever female to lead a group of assassins as big as we were. She was well deserving of the position, because she was the only one who had ever, single handedly, slayed a dragon... and lived to tell the tale.

"Is everything alright?" I questioned. The director didn't just call without warning first.

"That depends. Is Liam Blackwood with you?"

"No, I'm not suppose to meet him until tomorrow. Wait, is he missing?"

Her voice grew distant as I heard her ordering someone to dispatch the search team to look for him.

Liam Blackwood was a Vampire who had willingly come to us, claiming he had unknown information about the Manhattan Manslaughters. He claimed to be aware of the culprit's identity.

Obviously, the Director had not believed him completely, but still decided to listen to him. He was assigned to me, as I would follow and track down the leads he provided us with.

It had hardly bee more than a month since he came to us. However, providing information to an organisation that was identified as an enemy to most of the supernatural races was dangerous business, so it was understandable why he would wish to stay on the down low.

Unfortunately for us, that meant he could not meet us whenever we wanted him to and so far, we had not gotten much further with this case than we had before him.

"We are not sure yet. But still, take precautions, Miss Knightley, if he is not found today, we will have to take action."

With that, she hung up the phone with a click.

Take precautions.

I dropped to my knees to look under my bed. Spotting what I was searching for, I reached my arm and dragged a heavy, black, briefcase out.

After punching the password in, it opened with a hiss. Inside were some of my best guns and daggers, but that was not what I was looking for.

I opened a small compartment within the briefcase and took out the glass vial. I closed the briefcase and slid it back under my bed.

I crossed the red-carpeted corridor that lead to the T.V lounge, where I saw Victoria and Serena watching the news with petrified faces.

The headline running was about five new victims that were found in dumpsters after pedestrians had complained about the putrid smell wafting through the alleyways.

The number of victims had reached two hundred and by the looks of it, it was not about to stop any time soon. This brought be back to the task at hand.

I grabbed the remote out of Victoria's hand and turned the TV off. As soon as the screen turned black, Serena slumped against the sofa, like a puppet whose strings had been cut.

I turned my attention to Victoria and hand her the flask.

She looked at me with alarmed eyes, as if I had grown another head.

"Do I want to know why you have a vial full of blood?" She carefully asked.

I rolled my eyes. It was just a bit of blood.

"I don't care if you want to know or not, I'm going to tell you anyway."

I cut off her protests with a single glare.

"Remember Liam Blackwood, you know, the Vampire you thought I banged and was having a child with?"

She looked up at me with guilty eyes.

"You're still bitter about that?"

Me? Bitter? Hell, nah! I mean it's not like she questioned my morals by accusing me of sleeping with the undead or anything.

"Oh, good, you remember him! Well, he just went M.I.A on our ass and I need to find him, so I need you to put a tracking spell on him."

She tentatively inspected the flask in her hand.

"This blood is still fresh, maybe... a day old? How did you manage to take this much of his blood?"

"Right... about that, about a month ago, I might have, sort of, 'accidentally'" I made speech marks in the air "stabbed him with my dagger when he was working with me and collected the blood without him knowing. The flask is enchanted, it keeps the blood fresh."

"Accidentally?" She asked dryly.

"Of course! Why would I want to hurt the poor guy?" I dramatically placed my hands on my heart with a hurt expression.

"Because he's undead?"

"Victoria Isabelle Dante! What do you think I am?"

"An assassin...?"

I gasped and wiped an invisible tear.

"You wound me."

Out of thin air, a nasty looking dagger appeared in Victoria's hands. Before I could react, she lashed out and slashed me across my left arm!

"OW!" I let out a howl of pain as the cut burned and the blood spilled all over my arm and down to the ground.

Before I could retaliate, she grabs my wounded arm and spills the contents of the flask on it.

GROSS!

I try to yank my arm away, but it wouldn't move, nor would my feet.

Victoria starts to chant something under her breath and right before my eyes, the blood slides back into my cut, as if in reverse and takes Liam's blood along with my own.

If I were not paralysed, I would have gagged.

When she let go of my arm, there was no sign of blood or any gory wound. Fascinated, I bring my arm close to my face to expect my skin and lo and behold! It's unblemished! Unbelievable!

"There, you're tracking spell is done. You're welcome." Victoria says with a self-satisfied grin.

I look up at her with a scowl. Just because what she did was sort of cool, didn't mean I was happy with her for cutting me!

"When I said 'you wound me' I didn't mean it literally!"

"But I felt obligated to." She smiled in mock innocence.

"I wish I could do that." Serena spoke from the couch.

Ignoring her, Victoria turned to me again.

"Because of the spell, Blackwood's location will come to you from time to time. It depends from person to person how that happens. You may be able to hear or see where he is, or maybe even both."

"Okay, so... what now?"

"Now, you wait."

************************************

HI! =D

If you liked the chapter, please show your support by voting, that would mean so much.

Tell me your thoughts about The Manhattan Manslaughters or anything else by commenting, I would love to read what you people have to say!

Thanks for reading and I will see you soon!

~N. Bajwa.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

280K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...