The Term Sheet | Wattys 2016...

By LucasCarlson

2016 WATTY AWARD WINNER - HQ LOVE THE TERM SHEET is a fast-paced technothriller about entrepreneurship, start... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
More By Lucas Carlson

Chapter 21

1.3K 119 2
By LucasCarlson

Andrew rushed in the front door of David's apartment without knocking. David was making coffee, standing near the kitchen counter in his T-shirt and boxers.

"Hey, David."

"Hey, I have something to tell you."

"It will have to wait," said Andrew. "We're back on again."

"Back on what?" said David.

"Pitch Deck. Put on some pants, will you?"

It had been a month since he last spoke to Mark, and since then he had been focused on writing code.

"Oh, great," David said in a soft voice. "I need to tell you something."

"You don't sound that excited," said Andrew. "What's wrong? You getting cold feet? Afraid they're going to make you cut off your beard?"

"Of course I'm excited, just confused." David turned around to face the sink. "I just haven't had my morning coffee. Look..."

"Morning, Meg," interrupted Andrew. "Looking good."

Megan came out from the bedroom dressed in a short skirt and loose-fitting blouse.

"Thank you, Andrew," Megan said as she rolled her eyes. "David, why don't you put some pants on already? Don't you see we have a guest? Hey Andrew, what do you think of the acquisition offer?"

Shit.

"What do you mean the acquisition offer?"

"Didn't David tell you, yet?" Megan turned toward David and tilted her head. "Typical."

"I was just going to—"

"Tell me what? No wonder you weren't excited about Pitch Deck. Are you trying to sell our company behind my back? Were you going to make it a big surprise, or something? Don't you think I deserve to know these kinds of things? We're cofounders, aren't we?"

Megan rushed to the door. "I'll leave you two at it, I'm late anyhow."

"Of course not. Just give me a minute to explain," David said as he willed himself to turn around and look Andrew in the eye. "The reason Doug invited me to dinner yesterday was to tell me that he wanted to acquire our company."

"So how much did he offer?"

"Well, he didn't say yet." David blushed. "In fact, he was just about to call me. But they have been working on something like Cryptobit for years and they haven't been able to—"

"And what's going to be my new job?"

"Look, Andrew, I don't have all the answers yet. I don't know what your job would be, I don't even know what my job would be. I don't know how much they're offering. I don't know anything specific yet."

"In that case I think we should go on Pitch Deck first and see what happens there."

"Maybe," said David. His coffee was finally finished and he brought a cup up to his nose. "But we might not have enough time to go on Pitch Deck."

"The acquisition won't close in a week, will it?"

"No," said David as he took his first sip. "Probably not. But it's not like we're going to be on Pitch Deck next week."

"Yes we are."

David blew scalding hot coffee through his nose and started choking.

"Next week?" said David, clearing his throat. "We're not ready to go in front of millions of people."

"This is what we've been waiting for, David. An acquisition at this point would be meaningless. We need to finish our vision first. We need to raise a round of investment, hire a team and blow this out. We need to go big or go home. I didn't start this company with you to give it up in the first few months."

"You know how few companies ever get acquisition offers? Isn't this exactly what we were hoping for? How do you know if the offer will be meaningless? Why don't we just calm down and wait to see what they say? It really sounded like they were desperate to make us the cornerstone of their new product suite."

"You mean make you the cornerstone. And what will I do? Be their janitor? I seriously doubt they need yet another business guy. They hire people like me to the mailroom these days."

David walked to his bedroom but kept the door ajar. "Don't be like that, this could be a big opportunity for both of us." David slipped into a pair of old jeans.

"And so could Pitch Deck." Andrew's face looked pained. "With exposure from that show, imagine how many other companies might show interest in acquiring us. The more, the merrier, right? I mean, we could pick and choose who we sold to, and make some real money in the process. This is a business decision, and I'm your business guy. This is the stuff I know best and I'm just saying we should keep our options open."

"Let's not get too greedy. What if this is our only opportunity to sell the company? For all we know, if we don't take this offer, System will crush us. I know both of us could use the cash—it has been a while since either of us took a steady paycheck."

Andrew sat down at the dining room table. "Since you brought up the topic of paycheck, I have something else we need to talk about."

David came out of the bedroom fully clothed and sat down next to Andrew.

"Oh great, what is it now?"

"It's just that I ran out of savings a couple weeks ago. I won't be able to pay rent at the end of the month." Andrew looked out the window while he talked.

"Jesus, Andrew, why didn't you tell me earlier? I am starting to run on fumes myself, but I'm not empty yet. I can spot you and we'll make it through this."

"No, don't worry about it. My grandpa left me a small emergency fund when he passed away." Andrew looked down. "I'm supposed to use it for my education, but I think this counts as education. Anyhow, nobody enforces that rule. The trust fund manager is my uncle and he loves me. When I turned twenty-one, he told me I could use it for whatever I want. I just never wanted to touch it, until now. It's not much but it'll cover rent. But there's always a chance I won't have to touch it at all if we go on Pitch Deck and get an investment."

"That's a big 'if,' don't you think?"

"Not at all. This is exactly the kind of startup that Tom Lewis and Atlas Vanguard invest in. It would be a no-brainer for them."

"Or if we sell the company, we could both be rich."

"David, listen. I know you think you understand stuff because you are the CEO, but this all sounds sketchy to me. My business instincts are calling bullshit on this opportunity. If they don't want to talk money or roles, it just doesn't sound serious. And even if it's serious, it'll probably take months to negotiate and I don't have that kind of time."

"What are you saying, Andrew?"

Andrew looked up, and there was a silent pause like he was trying to muster some courage.

"If we don't get an investment from Pitch Deck next week, I have decided to get a day job."

"That's fine, I understand. I don't want you out on the street homeless. You can get a day job and work on this in the evenings and weekends."

"No, David. I don't think I am making myself clear. If we don't get an investment next week, I..." Andrew looked down again. "I'm out."

David sat stunned. His heart dropped and his palms and feet became wet with sweat. His mouth went dry. David remembered sitting on the corner of his bed when he was thirteen years old with McKenzie Sutherland on the phone breaking up with him. He felt the same rush of panic and dread.

"David, it's not like I'm quitting right now. Don't look so stunned. I just have to be able to pay rent is all. This is fun and all, and I believe in it with every bone in my body. But if I can't afford food and shelter, what's the point? I have to take care of myself."

David wanted to be able to take the high road and say: "I get it, no problem. Hell, I'm in the same boat with you, and in your shoes I would do the same thing." But another part of him wanted to say: "What the fuck? You're the one who talked me into this in the first place and now you're quitting on me?" Since he couldn't decide which one to say, he said nothing.

"You're kind of freaking me out," said Andrew. "Look, I'm not quitting. Stop acting like a deer in the headlights. I've got to call Mark. He wants to prep me on a few things. I'm going to walk over to Palio's. Come join me when you are ready."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Perceptive By tom

Mystery / Thriller

36.6K 650 24
UPDATES ON EVERY TUESDAY! #EDITING Have you ever heard of dreams becoming reality? Reality becoming a question mark? When clouds of confusion blo...
95.3K 4.3K 41
I see how people die. It only happens the first time I touch someone. A handshake. My arm brushing yours on the subway. All of it. So much noise, eve...
Untangled By Stephanie Aston

Mystery / Thriller

1K 395 47
I slammed the table loudly and groaned out of pain. Not only the pain from the headache I was having right now. But also from the memories flooding m...
2K 416 74
Sequel to Hacking the Sun. [Updated every Tuesday]. In 2130, the world is still reeling from the collapse of the largest corporation. A recent crime...