Weaving a Song

By Venari

"Your child will be gifted. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. Be warned, she may not... More

Weaving a Song
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 8

5.6K 160 9
By Venari

c. 2060

The next morning Legolas ran into his friend. "Haldir!" He said seeing him across the room. Haldir turned and grinned.

"It's been too long." He said and they clasped arms. Legolas felt his sister enter the room, finally having awoken.

Come sister I have someone for you to meet. Almiel came up behind Legolas but appeared shy and stayed behind his leg. Haldir knelt down.

"And who is this?" Legolas glanced amused at his sister. No matter that people came to meet the Princess everyday, somehow, Almiel still had a shyness problem.

"It's supposed to be the, ah, Aranel, but apparently she likes to hide behind my legs." Almiel seemed to shrink further into his legs as he spoke. Almiel? Why are you always so shy?

It's a new person, was her answer.

Come on! He said. She peeked around his legs at the smiling blonde elf in front of her. His eyes twinkled when he saw her.

"Hello." He said. She blushed and hid behind Legolas again. Legolas rolled his eyes and grabbed her. He swung her onto his side holding her close so she could not escape.

"Almiel, this is Haldir." Haldir smiled and took her hand.

"It's a pleasure, Milady." She blushed even more if possible when he lightly kissed her hand, but it went away as quickly as it came and Legolas felt shock coming through their bond.

Despite her shock, she smiled and said, "Hi." Legolas sighed.

"Obviously she is no diplomat yet." He looked at her. "Some excuse for a Princess you are." His voice was lilting and full of laughter as he said it. She gave him an "oops" smile.

"Like you were any better at forty." Haldir teased. Legolas put her down and crossed his arms.

"I most certainly was." Haldir rolled his eyes.

He gave the Princess a meaningful look and said, "No he was not." Legolas eyed him which only made Haldir laugh.

"I cannot believe I used to tolerate you, much less impart my skill to you."

"Just because you taught me to shoot doesn't mean you imparted your skill to me. Besides, you think I am to like you to do any less than tolerate me." Legolas only narrowed his eyes further. Haldir smiled at his sister. "He only gets like this when someone beats him at his own game." Almiel glanced up at her brother, eyes curious.

"Don't believe a word he says. He likes to think he's better than me." Almiel frowned slightly and looked at Haldir.

"And you better not believe your brother. His pride is only challenged by that of his father's. He says things like that when his pride is wounded."

"My pride-!"

Haldir waved whatever Legolas might have said down. "Will survive to make you stubborn another day. Are we not supposed to be getting ready to leave?" Legolas let his arms go.

"I suppose. I'll meet you at the gate at dawn." Haldir inclined his head but still in a rather sarcastic way.

"Of course, My Ever Diplomatic Prince, I'm not really yours to command." He said and walked away leaving Legolas nursing his wounded ego. Then Legolas turned to Almiel.

"What was wrong?" Almiel's eyes widened at him.

"I… I couldn't feel him…" She said. "And… and when he touched me… I couldn't help him…" She paused and then looked meaningfully at him, "Legolas… he helped me."

Legolas' mind spun for a moment before he collected himself. "Well since he's going to be protecting you that's probably a good thing." He said but still wondered silently at the new phenomena. Then he motioned to her. "Come, we must get ready to leave." Almiel took his hand.

"Where are we going?"

"To Imladris, the Last Homely House."

*

Dawn the next morning found the three companions standing next to the three horses they were to take. For the time being, Almiel was going to ride in front of her brother while the third acted as a pack horse. Even with Imladris being relatively close by, they had no idea how long they were to stay in Lorien before they would come home.

Thranduil and Oiolairë came out to the gate where the three awaited them. Hurry my son, make sure someone gets word to Mithrandir.

Yes Ada. Legolas replied touching the scroll hidden within his clothes.

"Take care of my daughter." Thranduil said to Haldir. Haldir smiled placing his hand on his chest.

"Of course, Your Majesty."

"I'll be fine." Almiel said slightly exasperated. Thranduil smiled and kneeled down in front of her while Legolas and Haldir were mounting their horses bareback. "I know. But we have to give him something to do right?" Almiel cocked her head and nodded. "See?" He said with a smile. He picked her up and, after her mother kissed her, swung her in front of Legolas. Good luck, he said to Legolas. Then, as they started off, both siblings heard their parent's voices.

We love you.

Almiel smiled and leaned back into her brother who was smiling as well.

*

They followed Haldir who rode in front, eyes alert for anything amiss. It had been three days. Another day of traveling and they would be in Imladris. It was nearing dark when Almiel tugged on Legolas' sleeve.

"What is it?" He asked.

"The horses need water." Haldir nodded and dismounted gracefully. Legolas jumped off and then helped Almiel down. Haldir glanced around.

"Is there any water around?" Legolas shrugged.

"I know there's a river somewhere around here." Almiel stood still for a moment.

"There's a stream over there." She said. Haldir glanced that way. Legolas was staring that way with narrowed eyes. Almiel shifted and then pointed at one of the trees. "She told me." Legolas walked up to the tree and started singing softly.

He felt the tree hum in response. Its lifeblood, water, was coming from somewhere nearby. He then followed it and sure enough there was a small stream. He tested it finding it safe enough. He whistled. Soon all three horses were drinking their share while the three travelers sat in the shade.

"How did the tree speak to you?" Haldir asked curiously. Almiel was playing with a twig. Then she glanced at him.

"I spoke to her because of how lonely she seemed, so then when it spoke again I could hear the water and knew a stream had to be somewhere over here."

Haldir's eyes shifted to Legolas. "Maybe she's more of a Wood-Elf than you are." Legolas' face remained rather blank as his eyes roved over Haldir.

"As long as you don't go putting ideas in her head, she'll be fine." Haldir raised an eyebrow but even Almiel could see the traces of a grin in his lips.

"Oh, and what ideas would I put in her head that you have not?"

"Ha, you're from Lórien yet you also like traveling and adventure. Something hardly any from there ever do. There's sure to be something dangerous for a Princess in there." Haldir shook his head.

"I think it's you she better watch out for. All those tales of those who live in Mirkwood… what is it? More dangerous, less wise?" Almiel glanced curiously at her brother.

What does it mean? She asked.

Nothing, just a saying.

Liar.

Am not!

Liar.

Haldir saw the silent interaction. Funnily enough, he seemed to be getting some sort of emotional waves from Almiel. Why? He asked himself. At that moment, however, Almiel's widening eyes darted to his. Legolas, who had been watching a bird singing above them, missed the whole thing.

Almiel looked up as well when she saw him. Her eyes lighted up. She started singing in Sindarin. The bird flew down and landed on her finger where she sang softly to it while the bird chirped along.

Haldir and Legolas sat listening amazed. Her voice rivaled that of any either had heard before. Many Elves could sing well. It was a well known trait of the Elves, but her voice seemed magical. It was as if it alone could wipe away all the fear and pain in the world. Her gift keeps getting bigger. Legolas thought.What will she not be able to do?

A/N: In the Two Towers Legolas rides Arod bareback and Gandalf calls it Elf-Style. Also when Haldir meets them in the Fellowship he says he only knows the Common Tongue because he is one of the few who has travelled abroad. Also, thanks for all the support :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 2.6K 22
When a princess elleth unknowingly enters the realms of Mirkwood, she finds herself to be the missing piece to a promise made long ago
6K 115 66
''My heart doesn't matter, does it? Even if it is true, and he feels something for me too, it is still doomed to fail, isn't it? Elves can only love...
28.6K 907 24
Sequel to Celebrimbor's Daughter and Thranduil's Son 70 years later I am Vilya, daughter of Celebrimbor and wife of Legolas Greenleaf, son of Thrandu...
335K 13K 74
Book One "From the time we are born we start making choices. At the time when we are young we learned that our choices come with consequences. Some a...