Dangerous Encounters

By sauthca

The tale relates the impact of protest against corporatism with players in the construction industry, the int... More

Chapter 1 The Americans, the protesters, and Ruth.
Chapter 2 Sabotage, client's error, Liz, and always the weather.
Chapter 3 Ruth and her proteges confront, and a suicide is saved.
Chapter 4 Love is declared and acknowledged. Liz wins through
Chapter 5 Psychology of love, the filthy Press, fending the client off.
Chapter 6 A getaway week-end is planned and starts - but hesitantly
Chapter 7 Ruth overcomes her past and love prevails - eventually
Chapter 8 Liz makes a proposal, complications loom at site.
Chapter 9 The course of true love - through a minefield
Chapter 10 Liz takes control of the takeover
Chapter 11 Bolting two companies together causes stresses
Chapter 12 A day at the office promises future confrontations
Chapter 13 Ruth and Liz confront the Americans, the takeover hits problems
Chapter 14 The evil underbelly of marketing
Chapters 15/1 Keeping it together and 15/2 Offloading the past
Chapter 16 The horrors of dismantling the past
Chapter 18 Initial survey. Not as simple as it looked
Chapter 19 Ruth conceives a workable plan
Chapter 20 The eve of the raid
Chapter 21 The trap is sprung
Chapter 22 The immediate aftermath
Chapter 23 The muck thickens and sickens despite the love
Chapter 24 Revealing the evidence
Chapter 25 The ultimate confrontation and death of the innocent
Chapter 26 Destruction death and revelation
Chapter 27 and Epilogue Two lives come together, and end in peace

Chapter 17 Planning to destroy Railton House's influence

76 8 9
By sauthca

Betty drove me to the station, and I asked her to rebook the Swallow hotel, apologise for my not having been there the night before, and to put the computer and files I hadn't unpacked from the car, in my office. 

At four o'clock I waited in the ante office of Sir William Ogilvy whilst an elegant secretary typed at a terminal. 

Liz came in, confident and blooming, and shook my hand in both hers. 

"Thanks for coming Graham. I'm sorry I had to do this to you. But I hope things will go the way we want. Shirley, please tell Sir William we're both here now." 

We were ushered in. The panorama of the Thames subdued by tinted glass, was displayed on two sides of the office. 

Sir William was regarding the view with his back to us. He turned and held out his hand to me. 

"Wisheart, we haven't met before, although Liz speaks highly of you and at some length, so I feel I know you quite well. Thank you for coming down. It must seem a strange request. It's not that I don't trust Liz, or her judgement, but what I may have to do is very serious indeed, and I must have good corroboration of her views. 

"I'll get some coffee in and then I want you to tell me in your own words about Railton House." 

We sat on grey leather armchairs around a glass coffee table which reflected blue tinted clouds in a dark sky, whilst I recounted the day Liz and I were at Railton House, and my earlier experience of it. 

Sir William was lean and tall with intense blue eyes set in a square, tanned, chiselled-out face. Balding, with a shock of grey hair slicked back each side of his head, he sat very still whilst I spoke, interpreting every syllable, movement, and expression. 

"I think that's about as much as I can say, Sir William," I concluded. 

"I have a concern, and I hope I can ask this without giving offence, but you say that effectively Eve offered you the use of Railton House as a love nest for the two of you as a couple." 

"Yes." 

"Why would she think that would have been acceptable to either of you?" 

"I am undeniably fond of Liz and attracted by her. Eve would detect that. She has uncanny prescience. But she would not necessarily know that I have a lover." 

"And you, Liz?" 

"Much the same Sir William. We work well together, and Graham is attractive to me. But I know about his own relationship. We have nothing between us except affection and respect." 

"No hint of scandal could attach to you two then?" 

I said, "These days? I think it would be  only too easy. We've stayed in the same hotel for a week. We've been working late together. Both being single leaves us open to any accusation of that kind." 

"Well, if you're both single no one would be damaged if you were intimate, so I think that'll be alright. The fact that you are comrades now, rather than lovers can be argued. But if somehow you were compromised later the answer is 'so what?'" 

I said, "I have a question, Sir William. How come that Railton House and its purpose was apparently unknown to you until Liz brought it up, and your staff claim ignorance of it, yet a main board director is involved up to his neck? I can't see him not trying to use its attractions to influence the board here, including yourself. It doesn't strike me as very probable." 

"It is a fair question. As far as I am concerned, and in the strictest confidence I have a wife who is gravely ill and I spend as much time with her as I can. I believe you are in a position to have an understanding of that, Graham. Therefore I do not leave this office unless it is supremely important. 

"Andersen was the other man responsible for Foot on the board. I suspect he would have been keen to sample the pleasures of Railton House. But as you know he has gone. Since then Herrigan, as Foot's Managing Director has kept a low profile on the Main Board. Presumably with Liz here looking at company structures he isn't sure which way to jump. His first move was onto her direct through Eve. Does that answer your question?" 

"Perhaps," I looked at Liz, "What do you think?" 

"I was Andersen's secretary and I didn't know. So it could be feasible." 

"Now, you two, I may seem indulgent but I'm not having you discuss in front of me whether you think I'm telling the truth." 

"Would you rather we did it behind your back?" I asked. 

He looked long and hard at me, then his face broke into a grin. "You don't scare, either of you, do you? I can't frighten this young lady at all. I do wish you'd reconsider staying in the longer term, Graham. You would make a truly formidable management team. 

"Right, let us discuss the business. Liz tells me that subject to completing the investigation, she leans towards keeping the Wolfenden organisation and winding Harold Foot down, gradually transferring the site people to Wolfenden. Unfortunately if we expose Railton House I'll have to remove the three directors. That means the responsibility for both companies will devolve suddenly and catastrophically onto you two. You'll have to recruit the whole of a board structure. It will be a heavy burden." 

"But," I said, "at least we won't have a board that's undermining Liz, which was a major worry. I know some good people we could filch out of the industry. There's a lot of good talent that's being thrown away. If you're backing her, and Foot's board has gone, Liz can control things. And I have promised to help her with this, in a sort of six month time frame. But it's not cast in concrete. I just don't want to be in the long term picture. I think it's do-able." 

"And you Liz?" 

She grinned and her eyes sparkled, "Just let us at it, Sir William." 

"Good. Now, we need evidence. Could you go to Railton House again with a tape recorder and a spy camera or something like that?" 

I said, "I think Liz would have to respond positively to an invitation to partake of Eve's delights. We've already had the Cook's tour of the place. We won't get behind the public facade again, without something like that." 

"Well Liz? We must have something solid to face these fellows with," said Sir William. He looked sad, "Young lady I can't see another way. I fear Graham's right. You will have to appear to submit with Graham to Eve's temptation." 

Liz said "Can we think about it some more alone, Sir William, and let you know tomorrow? I'm sorry to seem so feeble, but there are personal feelings involved here, and I want to be secure we have an agreed workable plan." 

"Yes, of course. Come and see me at -, " he went to his desk and looked at his diary, " - could you be here at eight thirty. I have a meeting at nine fifteen. Really though do we need a meeting? You telephone me if you're going ahead, and then I'll wait for the evidence. If you aren't then we do have a problem, but I think you will see that for yourselves. Ring me tomorrow before nine fifteen. Alright?" 

We took the silent lift down the thirty three floors and out into the blustery April day near the Tate Gallery. 

"When did you eat last Graham?"  

"Last night. Ruth made supper. 

I was late and missed breakfast, and I couldn't get a meal on the train. The restaurant car wasn't staffed."

"Let's go to my place. I'm not doing any more office work. I haven't booked you a hotel. Don't worry I have a spare room." 

We took a tube which clattered and roared its way to Camden. We banged up some tired looking uncarpeted stairs in an Edwardian three storey block, and entered Liz's flat. It was modern, well furnished, if a little bleak. I didn't see Liz's vivid personality in it. 

She left me in the sitting room in front of a flame effect gas fire she turned on, and came back a little later in a colourful flowered silky tracksuit. 

"Let's have a drink, I have some whisky." 

She took out glasses and bottles. She took her usual gin and tonic. 

"Here's to us. We did well this afternoon." 

I raised my tumbler to her and drank. 

"You're quiet, Graham." 

"I'm sorry. I feel a bit defeated." 

"Come on, man. Don't fail me now. We have a problem to discuss. We have to tell Eve we want a week end, arrive latish on a Saturday. Pretend to turn in early after supper. Wait till its quiet. Do our spy activity. Then we run like fun." 

"That would alert them to our intention." 

"You don't say we have to stay the course?" 

"It may be worse than that. How do we know the place isn't bugged or video'd, so that we have to be more convincing than that?" 

"Oh," she said, "I hadn't thought of that." 

"That's what hit me. That's why I'm not happy. Because I'm pretty sure it will be equipped like that so as to provide material for blackmail." 

"I don't think I could do that, Graham. I'd feel very mixed up." 

"I know how you feel. I was trying to conjure up an alternative. I have, so far, drawn a blank." 

"Could one of us get called away?" 

"We've done that once. Twice is too much of a coincidence. Eve is very shrewd." 

"We could set the fire alarm off." 

"A false alarm wouldn't get us away. And if we weren't properly dressed for a bit of close contact it'd expose our hand. We could try a bit harder and have a proper fire, but arson is a crime, and I couldn't live with some innocent member of the staff being burned or injured, or even Eve herself." 

"Let me find something for us to eat. You keep thinking." 

There was a banging of freezer drawers and cracking of packaging and whirring of a microwave. 

"Come and eat," she said leaning on the door jamb. 

We ate a salad with egg maionnaise, and a prepacked canelloni, the latter with a red wine. 

I smiled across the kitchen table. "Thank you Liz." 

"Oh, I know what you're thinking. You and Ruth are in to chopping things up and herbs and spices. I wish I was. I don't know sometimes what to do with myself in London at week ends alone. Since - Oh shit I didn't want this." 

She rose and went to the bathroom and slammed the door. A little while later she returned composed. 

"Sorry about that." 

"Do you want to talk about it?" 

"No. You can't be there for me that way. Don't make it worse by trying to be. Please." 

"Sorry," I whispered. 

"Look, perhaps I'd better find a hotel," I said 

She clasped my arm, "No, that's not necessary. Just don't be so - warm. Oh, you can't be anything else can you? That's you. Come on. Business. What are we going to do about Railton House?" 

"The best thought I have is to infiltrate the staff. Get Ruth's girls to make a friend of the little maid, and either get her story onto tape, or get our girls in with the necessary apparatus. Or both." 

"Do you want to expose your daughters to that drugs risk?" 

"They're not-" 

"Don't quibble, Graham. I've seen you four together, I don't know what the other three have as surnames but if there ever was a nuclear family you're it. The only reason they don't call you Daddy is because you didn't change their Pampers." 

"If Ruth says they could handle it I'd be relatively comfortable. Of course I'd be afraid." 

I smiled and sighed, "But I'll be afraid when they introduce some gormless looking twenty something year old man, and say 'this is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.'" 

Liz laughed, "How sweet. I think if Ruth agrees, it's a good idea. Does she know about Railton House?" 

"Yes. I can have no secrets from her." 

Liz's acute power of word interpretation led her to say, "That sounds as if you babble in your sleep." 

"Something like that. Do you want to run with this plan to the extent of asking Ruth, or do we need to find a better way?" 

"I don't want to pretend to go to bed with you at Railton House. I can't help but feel that we'd end up feeling confused and miserable." 

"I agree," I said, "Right. Lead me to a phone." 

She passed me a loudspeaker phone. 

"Hullo." 

"Ruth it's me." 

"Graham - sweetheart, how are you?" 

"OK. I'm with Liz in London." 

"Oh?" 

"Ruth, he's safe with me," said Liz. 

"Oh - hallo Liz." 

"We have a question for you Ruthie, " I said. 

"Yes?" 

"You remember what I told you about Railton House." 

"Yes. Of course." 

"We want to kill its influence." 

"I understand. Good." 

"We need evidence of what goes on there."  

"But you know. You've told me." 

"No we need corroboration. Tape recordings, photos, things like that." 

"Oh. Is there something you want from me, love?" 

"I want Pat and Amanda to infiltrate the staff. Get to know the maid, and either subvert her or get into the place themselves." 

"But that's dangerous." 

I took a chance, "So's sending them with a chainsaw to cut an eleven thousand volt power-line down on a wet February night." 

There was a silence. 

In a voice edged with fear she said, "Point taken, my love."  

"Will you ask them?" 

"Yes. But I haven't told them anything about it. Can I talk to you later?" 

"Yes. Ring me on my portable. I love you." 

"Love you too. Leave it with me. 'Bye Liz." 

"'Bye Ruth." 

"So it was Ruth's work that cut the power at Doncaster," said Liz.

I nodded, "She didn't know it was my site at the time." 

"She's a dangerous woman to have around you, Graham." 

"Dangerous to corporatism perhaps but not me. I'm getting out of it - remember?" 

"I'm not sure about her being an ally to us. Would she be likely to take us so far along the line and then expose the thing to the press to take out the company as a whole?" 

"Ruth's understanding is deeper than that. She's not against the people who do the building, just what is being constructed, or the consequences that flow from its existence. She wants other things to be done. 

"Admittedly at that point the logic becomes fuzzy. That's where I perceive her and her kind to be wholly muddleheaded. They're invariably against things, but I've never heard a workable alternative put forward. No-one I've met who gets into that arena can do elementary arithmetic." 

"Surely Graham, you and Ruth must argue like fury?" 

"No, we have a truce. It's forbidden territory between us." 

"But you couldn't live together with - oh. I'm sorry. I understand now. That's why you don't spend all the time you could together." 

"Yes, we need more space between us than most. But if I can be rid of the job that'll ease one source of conflict." 

We finished the wine with some Stilton. Liz had put Vivaldi on the CD player, and was reading some papers she extracted from her briefcase. My portable trilled. Liz silenced the CD player with the remote. 

"Graham, we'll do it. But we'll need organising by you. Espionage is different from demonstration. To mount a demo you just go there with a placard. We're going to have to construct personalities and get background information to do the infiltration. That needs money and resources. We have none." 

"OK Ruth. Understood. It was the principle first. Thanks a million and thank Pat and Mandy. I'll talk to you later. It still may not be on." 

Liz said, "So they'll do it then?" 

"Yes, but we need a fighting fund. I'm beginning to see how it might be done. We need to buy a van, and possibly a  reasonably civilised second hand camper van sleeping three or four. Have you an Exchange and Mart?" 

"No - I have an Evening Standard though." 

I looked up some prices. 

"Looks like we need about five thousand for the vehicles and kitting them out. They'll have a resale value so it won't be a total loss. We'll need a miniature camera and tape recorder, and a bug or two, and an infra-red camcorder. That'll be pretty expensive. Can you get us ten thou'?" 

"Ouch. Sir William's going to find that hard to justify for our reluctance to spend a weekend together. Particularly when we've indicated that we don't find each other repellent." 

"You'll have to tell him that simulated copulation isn't part of your job description, and that's what we think would be necessary." 

Liz looked at me, puzzled, "Are we right in going for this DIY operation? I'd have thought that we could employ a private investigator with ten thousand pounds to play with." 

"OK. It's nine o'clock in the evening. We have to tell Sir William something tomorrow. Let's see what Yellow Pages can do for us." 

There were many 24 hour services offered. I took the first one that was prepared to meet Liz and I immediately, Granville Investigations, and we took a taxi to a quiet office in St James. 

A heavy set, mid-fifties ex-policemen regarded us with world-weary eyes. We explained the situation, making it a theoretical one with no names, just saying a house in Yorkshire, and asking him to make a guess at a cost. 

"What outcome do you wish for?" he asked. 

"The staff and directors sacked quietly, and the house disposed of." 

"Hm. Your problem isn't money. It's the drugs. A PI couldn't let it go without informing the police. Rumpy pumpy's OK between consenting adults. The PI could close his eyes to that. Drugs are a different matter. 

"I guess one could get to the point of having the evidence to confront the staff and directors for about eight thousand pounds. But you'd have the police involved and then the media." 

"OK, thanks for the advice." I handed him the fifty pounds he asked for and obtained a receipt for consultancy services. 

Back in the flat, Liz poured another drink for us. 

She said, "Looks as though if you take the resale value of some of the stuff we buy into account, the costs are a bit less with the DIY approach, assuming we're successful. And we run less of a publicity risk. Providing Ruth and the girls keep quiet." 

"In truth you could get the PI cheaper up north. You're looking at a London based price." 

"Same applies to the vehicles though," said Liz, "Looks like we'll have to give Sir William the options." 

Back in Sir William's office next morning the early sun streamed on his desk in strips through lowered venetian blinds. 

He said, "It seems a bit rich, ten thousand pounds just because of your - um - sexual delicacy." 

"Look," I said with a flash of real anger, "if we didn't have, using your word - delicacy, but I prefer integrity, we'd have been there humping the odd week-end, you wouldn't have known a thing about this and we'd have sunk Wolfenden into Foot, and you'd have a crappy early twentieth century company and an even bigger scandal when it all came apart at the seams as inevitably you know it must." 

"He's right Sir William. The more Railton House extends its influence the more vulnerable to exposure it becomes, and somebody who could take part, however cynically, in what goes on there will want it to continue. It's too good at what it does." 

"Alright you two," he smiled, "You need to be tested from time to time. So you're offering me an amateur operation or a professional one at about the same cost, but the professional one exposes the house and its history, and the Foot company's part in it, and presumably a route through to all sorts of naughtiness by past and present clients. A big scandal. 

"I don't really think 'I have much of a choice. Get your spy organisation up and running Graham. You say you need ten thousand. Do you have site Bank accounts at Wolfenden?" 

"No. We do all transactions centrally." 

"Right. Liz take him to treasury, and get a bank account with ten thousand in it wherever in England he wants, with you and he as joint signatories in the name of White Marquees Incorporated. I'll telephone down whilst you're making your way." 

"I've never heard of that company," I said. 

Sir William smiled. "Oh, we sometimes have other little local difficulties that have to be covered. Is that alright now?" 

"Yes, we'll manage," said Liz. 

"One of you report to me in person every ten days or so. Don't mention the names of the directors or Eve or Railton House to me on the phone. We'll call the project 'Scuttle'." 

We were back in the York office by two, and in the boardroom drinking coffee. 

"We need to meet Ruth," said Liz. 

"Mm." 

"Have you a problem with that?" 

"Yes. You are so striking to look at. You draw attention wherever you go. Most times it's an advantage. For this it isn't. OK. We'll go to Ruth's caravan after dark tonight and get some principles sorted out." 

I rang Ruth and arranged the meeting. 

Liz said, "Now I'd better re-establish my programme with Foot, and get Rosemary her data. I'll take that alone from here on. You concentrate on Scuttle." 

"Right. I'll go to Thirsk and sort out the bank account that end, and look for the first vehicle. I'll be going back to the hotel to change before I get the van. So I'll book you in and get your case sent up. Sign this cheque for me." 

At the Thirsk Lloyds Bank I drew out a thousand pounds, and returned to the Swallow Hotel, by York race-course. I changed into jeans and pullover and took up the local papers in the hotel. I found three likely prospects, eliminated one on the phone, and went to the others. 

I found a blue, seven year old, petrol Transit van that had been used by a builder. It had slightly beaten up look, but it had a good service record, seemed sound structurally and mechanically, was clean, had eleven month's MOT, and six month's tax to run. I put a deposit on it, and said I'd bring the cash when I'd insured it. I arranged a fully comprehensive insurance, any driver, which cost more than the van, since I had to say it wasn't garaged, and gave my Burnley address. 

I had to use my personal cheque. 

I paid the owner, and asked him to drive the van to the hotel for me, and gave him a taxi fare. We parked it near the back of the hotel car park. It looked out of place beside the BMW's, Jaguars, Mercedes, and big Rovers of the guests. I left the Granada in a conspicuous place by the hotel entrance. 

By that time Liz had arrived from work, and we met in her room. 

"There wasn't a lot I could do," she said, "I've arranged to go to Foot tomorrow. Rosemary will drive me in her car. We've already discussed what we'll do. I thought I'd have a bath and something to eat before we go to Ruth's." 

"Have you some unglamorous clothes?" I asked. 

"Well not really. The least conspicuous is the trouser suit, but it's 'worn with a frilly blouse which makes it striking. I'll see if the hotel shop has something else. A man's shirt." 

We had a pizza in the buttery, and drank perrier water. 

"OK," I said, "you nip off to the car park." 

I passed her the key. 

"Get into the blue Ford Transit van at the rear of the car park, and wait for me." 

Liz went, and I signed the bill for the meal. I took the lift to my room and stayed there five minutes, turned the TV on, arranged a morning call with reception, and then left via the backstairs to the car park. 

I hopped into the Transit. "OK Liz?" 

"Yes. Not exactly luxurious is it?" 

"The previous model was even worse. Keys?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.8K 379 16
This was an imagine in my S.O.A book but two of my readers wanted it as a story so here it is. the following may be mentioned or will be mentioned...
682 14 34
Two young entrepreneurs fall inlove in an arranged marriage. Things get tough when the truth about one of their successes is revealed and puts one of...
218K 6.4K 51
Revision of 2017 version When a business man with a troubled past and player ways meets a model, they're lives take a dramatic turn. Will these stran...
13.1K 160 37
Your name is Anna and you live a great life, you and your husband have a business ,but your husband lives a double life that you didn't know about. R...