From Protector To Lady

By thunder1417

Rebecca Morin, protector of her close cousin Jahnai Rutherford gets a surprise when she is summoned to the Pa... More

From Protector To Lady
From Protector To Lady Chapter 2
From Protector To Lady Chapter 3
From Protector To Lady Chapter 4
From Protector To Lady Chapter 5
From Protector To Lady Chapter 6
From Protector To Lady Chapter 7
From Protector To Lady Chapter 9
From Protector To Lady Chapter 10
From Protector To Lady Chapter 11
From Protector To Lady Chapter 12
From Protector To Lady Chapter 13
From Protector To Lady Chapter 14
From Protector To Lady Chapter 15
From Protector To Lady Chapter 16
From Protector To Lady Chapter 17
From Protector To Lady Chapter 18
From Protector To Lady Chapter 19
From Protector To Lady Chapter 20
From Protector To Lady Chapter 21
From Protector To Lady Chapter 22
From Protector To Lady Chapter 23
From Protector To Lady Chapter 24
From Protector To Lady Chapter 25
From Protector To Lady Chapter 26
From Protector To Lady Chapter 27
From Protector To Lady Chapter 28
From Protector To Lady Chapter 28.5
From Protector To Lady Chapter 29
From Protector To Lady Chapter 30
From Protector To Lady Chapter 31
From Protector to Lady Chapter 32
From Protector to Lady Chapter 33
From Protector To Lady Chapter 34
From Protector To Lady Chapter 35
From Protector To Lady Chapter 36
From Protector To Lady Chapter 37
From Protector To Lady Chapter 38
From Protector To Lady Chapter 39
From Protector To Lady Chapter 40
From Protector To Lady Chapter 41
From Protector To Lady Chapter 42
From Protector To Lady Chapter 43
From Protector To Lady Chapter 44

From Protector To Lady Chapter 8

27.9K 784 57
By thunder1417

"Widen your stance, your balance will be much easier to maintain," I said as I watched Philip practice his thrusts and slices in the air.

"This is ridiculous, I am not even going against an opponent," he mumbled.

"And if you were to go against an opponent as you are now, you would surely lose," I chided. "Your footwork is extremely important, I cannot stress that enough."

He did not reply, just grumbled as he continued his practice.

"Eventually I will let you spar against me for practice," I said absently.

"What?!" He asked, outraged, as he stopped his movements and stood there, bewildered.

"Is something wrong?"

"I cannot duel with you! You are a woman, in a gown, and...I could not do that," he explained.

"Oh please, Philip. I would train with many men back in Rillanon. It is not something I am unfamiliar with. And as for wearing gowns...I do have a remedy for that. From now on I believe I'll wear my old slacks to training," I stated, lightly.

"If you insist," he said, shaking his head and holding his wooden sword up again.

"Do not fret, poor prince, I will go easy on you at first," I retorted with a smile. I let out a hearty laugh when I heard him snort in a reply.

I sighed as I looked to the sun, my spirits high. It was a lovely day and training with the prince was something that was an enjoyable way to pass the time.

I returned my glance to him when I heard him swear in frustration.

"Blasted sword! This is an impossible task! I feel a fool," he said as he looked at me.

"What seems to be the problem?" I asked, stepping towards him.

"You speak as if the sword is to be an extension from my arm, but it just feels awkward and hurts my wrist," he said as he held out his sword to me. "I am finished for today."

"Nonsense. You just need to adjust your grip on the hilt," I said as I walked up to him. I used my fingers to pry his hand loose.

"First of all, relax your grip. If you hold it with all your might, it is bound to become tiresome, is it not?"

I then took his hand and slid it up farther on the hilt.

"There, this is where you hand should be. Keep your fingers slightly relaxed," I said as I wrapped his fingers loosely around the sword.

I looked up to him and saw that his face held an odd expression, his eyes intense as he looked from my face to my hand, which was still wrapped around his. I instantly felt my cheeks heat up and dropped my hand, now embarrassed by the contact.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"You're very welcome. But I must take my leave now," I spoke, frazzled.

"What? But why? It's early in the evening yet," he said as he stepped forward and grabbed my wrist lightly, causing me to back up involuntarily.

"I'm sorry, I must see to some needs. We will continue this another day, goodbye, Philip," I said as I quickly turned and began walking back towards the palace. My mind was screaming at me. How could I have been so foolish? I could not let any sort of intimacy form between the prince and I.

I slammed the door to my chamber shut upon my arrival, jumping when I saw a figure resting on my bed.

"Amelia?" I asked as I took in her state. Her hair was a tangled mess, her eyes puffy and red with moisture.

"Amelia, what has happened?!" I demanded as I walked up to her and sat beside her on the bed. She slowly turned her face to me, tears slipping from her eyes.

"Oh Rebecca! It's awful, just awful!" She wailed, putting her face in her hands, her shoulders sagging.

"You must tell me what has happened," I cooed gently, putting my arm around her shoulders awkwardly, trying to comfort her.

"I cannot, nobody must know. But Rebecca I feel my heart has been torn from my very chest! Can I trust you?" she asked, her light blue orbs staring intensely.

"Of course you can," I said as I nodded, assuring her.

"I am in love!" She wailed, throwing her hands up.

"Is that not a wonderful thing? Something to be cherished?" I inquired.

"Normally, yes! But these circumstances are not ones that are looked upon with a positive light. He is the one I have been spending so much time with. Oh, I love him so, Rebecca," she said as she wiped at her eyes.

"Pray tell, what is the situation?"

"He is promised to another! His father just recently told him that he is to be betrothed to another woman! I cannot bear it," she said helplessly.

"Shhh," I cooed. "Don't fret so. Things have wondrous ways of working themselves out, you'll see."

"I dearly hope so. I cannot imagine seeing him with another woman," she spoke sadly. "Have you ever been in love?"

The question struck me as a surprise, my mind blank and searching for an answer.

"Oh, well. No," I stated plainly.

"Never? Have you ever had any interest in a man?" She asked, curious now.

I wasn't comfortable with explaining myself to her but I would take the chance to distract her from her sorrows.

"I can say I have not. At home I was too focused on working and making sure my family was taken care of. I never had any interest in any of the men in Rillanon and I do not intend to change my interests any time soon," I confided.

"You do not want a man?! Somebody to take care of you and love you?" She asked, surprised now.

"No. I cannot ever imagine myself being bound to a man in marriage; a man that I am to serve without question. I am a protector, I do not need a man to watch over me or provide for me. And as for love, it is something I have never felt for anybody other than my family, so I feel as if I cannot miss something I have never possessed."

"You are a very strong woman, Rebecca. I envy you. I feel I wear my heart on my sleeve and offered it up much too quickly," she said, shaking her head.

"Nonsense. Men have ways of stealing a woman's heart and there is not much she can do about it," I replied, rubbing her back in comfort.

"That is true. Do you not find any of the men in Somersham attractive enough?" she asked, her eyes alight with a devilish curiosity.

"I can say I haven't taken much notice," I said, knowing it wasn't entirely true. There was a certain male figure who had most absolutely struck a chord in my mind.

"That will change," she said confidently. "You said it yourself, men have ways of stealing a woman's heart."

"I am no ordinary woman, I fear. Any man who wishes to steal my heart will have to fight for it, for I will never give it up easily."

I sighed when Amelia nodded and put her head on my shoulder.

"This day has been full of many trials I wish I did not have to deal with. I am very tired," she said as she yawned.

"Perhaps a good night's sleep will rid your mind of your worries," I spoke gently.

"Yes. Do you mind me staying with you tonight? I wish not to be alone," she said as she looked up at me.

"Of course not. You are more than welcome," I said as I stood up slowly.

"I will just change into my nightgown, do you need one as well?"

"Yes, please," she said as she looked down at her gown.

I walked to the dresser and pulled out two white nightgowns. I walked into the lavatory to give her privacy and for my own sake. I quickly untied my gown and slipped into the thin cotton slip. I walked out, my eyes downcast as I spoke out.

"Are you dressed?"

"Yes, I am decent," she spoke quietly. I looked up to find her already curled under the blankets of the bed.

I walked awkwardly to the other side of the bed and slipped under the covers as well.

"Goodnight, Rebecca. Thank you for this, you are a very fine woman, and any man would be lucky to have you," she spoke, her voice lightly laced with amusement.

I smiled to myself at her persistence.

"Goodnight, Amelia."

     I found myself not able to fall asleep for some time that night. My mind kept tracing its way back to that blasted man who seemed to haunt my thoughts more often than I should like.

     He was always so cold and unpleasant. What was the reason for that? Many other knights I met were jovial and polite. Did they not have to abide by the code?

     Apparently Stanton did not. I sighed in frustration as I hugged the blanket to my chest. He had a secret, that much I was sure of. A secret that I was going to discover.

————————

"I hear that you have been helping my son with his training, as well as Sir Stanton," the king questioned me. My hands were wringing together in nerves.

     A servant had been sent to my room early this morn to tell me news that the king wished to hold a company with me.

"Yes, your highness, that is correct. I stumbled upon them training one day and felt that I could help."

"You felt that it was your duty to infringe upon my Master of Arms, Sir Stanton Holwell, the most achieved and highly esteemed knight in all of Ethelid?" he asked, his eyebrow raising.

"I am so very sorry. I will not interfere again," I said, my voice strong but my heart deceived me with its pounding.

"Oh, no. By all means, train the boy. He needs all the assistance he can get. I am just surprised Stanton did not tell me of this," he said, his hands fingering the lip of the goblet he held.

"I do not think Stanton is aware, your highness," I said quietly.

"Is that a fact?" his eyes caught mine, casting a hellish glint. "Perhaps we should let him know?"

"If you wish, your highness," I said, casting my eyes down. Stanton would surely be furious if he was to find out.

"Does the idea of that bother you?" He asked now, his voice wicked.

"I do not think Sir Stanton looks upon me with the highest regard," I said quickly.

He looked from me, to the servant who came to refill his goblet. "You," he spoke to the servant. "Fetch Sir Stanton. Tell him it is of the utmost importance."

     My heart sank. I will surely get thrown from the palace as soon as Stanton tells him of the way I had acted towards him. He would but just have to speak of the actions I had partaken and I will be cast from the palace.

     I stood there in silence in front of the king while we waited for Stanton's arrival. I watched the king, his long, ringed fingers making circles around the rim of his goblet.

     After what seemed an eternity, Stanton slowly entered the room after one loud, hard knock to which the king told him to enter.

"Ahh, there you are, good Sir Stanton," the king spoke icily. I cast my eyes to the floor. Whatever had happened the day I overheard the king reprimanded Stanton had to have been huge, for him to still be upset about it.

"My king," Stanton's smooth voice spoke as he stepped beside me. I could instantly feel the tension between my body and his, as if there was some sort of static electricity suddenly flowing between us.

"Do you know of the events that have been happening between Lady Rebecca and my son?"

I did not look up to Stanton's face as I heard his reply.

"No, I do not have any knowledge of any events," he spoke, his voice strong, unwavering.

"You are not aware that she has been working with my son behind your back? Training him with ways of a swordsman?" the king spoke, his voice amused.

I dare cast a sideways glance, and I saw Stanton's hand turn into a fist, his knuckles white.

"No, your highness. I was not aware," he spoke.

"Well now that you are informed, what say you of this arrangement? Is she to be trusted?" the king inquired.

"Your highness, if I may be so bold to say, I feel the woman is no threat to us. She is merely a very well trained swordsman. I have witnessed her abilities and have heard much praise of her in her hometown of Rillanon," Stanton spoke confidently. My mouth dropped open as my head instantly lifted to look at him. His face held no sign of a jest. He was defending me, but why? Surely he could have told the king I had some sort of malicious intent to seek harm upon the prince...but he had not.

"Hmm," the king thought to himself. "You do realize, Lady Rebecca, that to conspire against the King in any way is punishable by death?" he asked, his eyes alit.

"Yes, your highness," I said as I curtsied slowly. My pulse was racing in my veins as my heart was stricken with fear.

"Your king, I am sorry to interrupt but there is nothing to fear with the woman. I have spoke to her on many occasions, twice when I was training the prince myself. She shows only genuine interest in the well being and bringing of knowledge to the prince, I assure you," he spoke, his hands still in tight fists.

     The king sighed, leaning back in his chair as he spoke. "I suppose you are right. You are dismissed, both of you. But do know, Lady Rebecca, that as a newcomer to my palace, you would be wise to tread lightly."

    I curtsied and quickly fled the room. I started to walk swiftly down the hallway, hoping to escape any further confrontations when I heard a loud voice call my name.

"Rebecca!" he said, seeming frustrated.

"Sir Stanton," I spoke quietly.

"I am sorry you had to see the king that way, he had no reason to threaten you as he did," he spoke, his blue eyes searching mine.

"You defended me," I blurted out. I cringed mentally, my loose tongue was something I was not proud of.

"Yes, well I would not allow him to attack any woman like that, even one such as the likes of you," he spoke, his voice strained now.

"Such as the likes of me? What is the meaning of that?" I asked, feeling the tension between us once again.

"Never mind, it is of no matter. I bid you goodbye," he said as he turned around and quickly stocked off.

I watched him with a reproachful eye. What was he playing at? He could have got me thrown from the palace, or worse, with just a couple words, yet he did not.

     My mind was swirling with thoughts as I walked back to my chambers. The king, was he really so awful as to threaten my life, after I had done nothing of any real suspicion? Was I to continue training Philip?

     And as for Stanton, being the ever frustrating, irritating and pigheaded cad that he is, he actually acted kindly towards me.

I shook my head, hoping to rid my mind of the worries that now plagued me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 142 72
Best Ranking #2 in Action-Adventure. He yearned for her vanilla-tasting lips and skin. Are you going to kiss me, Princess? Azrael whispered onto he...
4.9M 183K 55
Chosen when a child, Lady Joselyn is trained to be a ruthless killer. She is destined to be the English king's assassin and protector. Only he and th...
141 16 12
"Do you remember when I tried to sneak a kiss from you when we were children?" "Your Highness, I don't think this is the most appropriate time to rem...
409 28 10
Princess Mikayla, the last living heir to the king must prepare to rule upon his death. There are some who think a woman not rule. That she should pa...