Safe (gxg)

By -4eyes

Safe. For three years, Rachel Ashford has never been put into harm's way. Being the daughter of one of the ri... More

Safe (gxg)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
SORRY
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 14

Chapter 4

2.4K 149 21
By -4eyes

Lex's POV

Stupid.

I shouldn't have said that. I should have just kept my mouth shut.

I closed my eyes and breathed out a sigh.I continued to make my way to the cellar. I hope that I'm not making another mistake by letting them drink tonight. I shouldn't even have said yes to Cassie but I can't go down on my word now. I'd rather die.

They'll only get wine though. I did promise alcohol but wine is still alcohol. I don't want my cousin blurting out all our secrets. Not when Rachel's around.

After getting a few bottles, I made my way to the kitchen. I took out some buckets and made ADI spew out ice cubes in it before I placed the wine in it. I then placed the buckets in the fridge since it's too early.

Glancing at the clock, it's still three hours before dinner. I programmed Moi and Adi to be on kitchen duty. A few of Cassie's favorite dishes and some junkfoods won't hurt. They'll just have to burn more calories before Monday.

After settling everything,I made my way to my room. I felt the familiar surge of warmth in my hand as I held the doorknob indicating that I am being scanned for security measures. The lock clicked and I went inside, the door closing on its own.

My room isn't exactly big. There's a king-size bed, a bookshelf on each side, Tig's bed on the floor, and a bedside drawer/table with a lamp. I plopped down on the bed thinking about the events this week.

I've gotten closer to her than I had ever been for the past three years. It feels amazing just talking to her and hearing her voice. I close my eyes and I picture the way she looks at me and smile. Her flowing red hair and blue eyes. Her adorable freckles on her cheeks. The way she laugh and the feeling I get whenever our skin touch.

I never thought I'd be closer to her. But it's better this way. I can keep her safer.

I reached for the remote on top of my drawer and pressed a few buttons. A small monitor slowly appeared from the ceiling. Four views were displayed; the pool, the cottage, kitchen and Ashford's residence.

Everybody seems to be having fun in the pool. The cheering squad with Anna, Steph, Mary, whose names I had just learned today, Chloe and Stacy, are playing volleyball against Riley, Cassie, Sam, Rose Jessica and Amy. I looked at the view of the bots and they were almost done in the cottage. Rachel's still eating though. I can't blame her, grilled shrimps had always been her favorite.

I pressed another button which turned all the lights off and a dome covered the ceiling, it also turned the sound system in the pool on, catching them offguard. Lights then flickered and I see everyone trying to dance while in the pool. I don't think anyone aside from Rachel noticed that I was gone.

Just on cue, I saw Cassie talking to the girls and pointing to the screen in the ceiling. They all waved and even though they can't see me, I smiled. I pressed another button and a few bots came rushing to them, a cooler in tow. Everyone huddled up and out of the pool. Cassie opened it revealing cans of sodas, ciders and two bottles of wine.

I saw her get her phone out so I reached for mine knowing that she'll call.

"Seriously, Lex? Where's the vodka and the tequila we had bought?", Cassie whined loudly through the music as soon as I accepted the call.

"Seriousy, Cassie? You guys haven't had dinner yet. You'll have it tonight in the slumber room. What else do you want me to prepare?", I chuckled as I watch her scowl at the camera.

For a moment, something caught my eye. An unfamiliar man was in the security's control room in the Ashford residence. He was wearing a black suit and grey tie, the uniform worn by the Ashford's guards. He isn't wearing the prescribed sunglasses. I don't remember hiring him.

I zoomed out the pool view and pressed some buttons which shows all the Ashford Residences' cams. All of their security cameras show static. Only those I personally installed using my own system were up.

All of the guards are knocked down. This guy is good. I personally assessed them before they were hired.

"Cassie, I'll call you back", I said as I hung up immediately.

I went to the bookshelf on my right and pulled the last volume of the Encyclopedia to reveal a hidden compartment. There was a hole in the middle where I pressed my thumb. The shelf moved to open a pathway to a white room.

Monitors lined up on the side of the wall, a huge console consisting of buttons served as a table, there are also two swivel chairs, one for me and another for Cassie. Too bad I'm gonna get all the fun.

"DES, Initiate Ashford entrapment sequence", I stated. DES stands for Defensive Emergency System. I along with my mentor created it for further security purposes.

"Ashford Entrapment Sequence engaged", DES confirmed and I watched as Titanium doors rolled down and sealed each room in the Ashford residence.

"Fix on Unknown. Initiate Identity Scan on Target", I stated as I slouched down on the swivel chair. I watched him press the buttons in frustration. He's trying to override the security system.

A printed profile emerged in the console's fax.
"Augustus Dubois. Fugitive. Found in MI6 and CIA Database. Committed offenses against the British and American Government. Professional Hired Killer. Independent". I sighed as I glanced at the time on the screen. The ride to the Ashford residence takes at least one hour from here. That would give him the chance to flee. Those doors may be titanium but I'm not taking chances.

I glanced at the monitors again. All of the other bodyguards are down. In the kitchen, however, is the chamberlain. The fifty-year old woman is busy peeling potatoes.

"Initiate Call to Agent Olivia Remington", I chuckled as the old lady jumped when the residential phone rang. The familiar maternal voice of Nana Oli filled the white room. "Ashford Residence."

"Nana, it's me", I answered as I watch her on the monitor. She may be the best cook around but she's also one of the best secret agents during her time. Former secret agent who retired ten years ago. She then helped in training Cassie and I, mainly me to become Cobra. She's also a grandmother figure, practically raising us when she's not in the Ashford residence.

"Athena Alexis Reynolds! Don't Nana Nana me! You and Cassandra haven't talked to me for a month. A whole month! Do you know how worried I am about you two?", Nana bellowed over the phone. I had to pull the phone away from my ear before talking.

"Nana, we're sorry. We just have a lot going on", I whined and pouted even if she couldn't see it. She had her hand holding the kitchen knife on her hip while the other is holding the phone.

"We're really sorry. It's Cassie's birthday by the way. Rachel's here though so we can't be seen together. And the attacks are becoming more aggressive. If you haven't noticed, I pulled the doors down", my eyes trailed back to the security's control room. I composed myself before speaking again. "The boys are down. We need pest control in the security room."

"Don't you use that tone on me, young lady", Nana said in her stern voice. I whimpered and sunk down on my seat. "I am not that old to forget Cassandra's birthday. And I did notice eventhough I was facing the stove. Pff! I still haven't lost my touch yet. I can still take you and Cassandra down in hand-to-hand combat like I used to. Now roll the doors up. No one bullies my boys", she threw the knife on the table. An unpeeled potato dropped to the floor in half. The knife stuck on the kitchen cabinet. I gulped and felt sorry for the man who'll face her wrath. She rolled her uniform's sleeves up.

I pulled the doors up leading to the security room. She grabbed her favorite tools, the kitchen knives and placed them in sheaths inside her maid's uniform.

"Nana, please tell me you're planning to keep him alive", I said as I watch her put the last knife into its sheath. She gave out a soft hmm to which I groaned. "Nanaaaaaa!"

"Just let me have my fun, munchkin. I haven't got a present for Cassandra yet. I haven't shopped yet. Hopefully this bully has something on him I could give her", she said as she made her way to the control room.

"Okay, Nana. Just call me later. I need to tell David about the intruder. Rachel's staying the night here", I said while watching Augustus try to break out. "And don't forget that we need him alive. Call me back please and be careful." I ended the call as soon as she reached the door to the control room. Knowing her, it will be messy.

I turned the monitors off and commanded DES to call David on his private number. He immediately answered.

"David, did you hire a new bodyguard? Big guy around 6'3 and buff, strong nose, curly black short hair, green eyes, and white", I cut to the chase and asked him.

"Yes, that's Raymond, I think. He's an ex-marine. I hired him just in case. I'm still in China so Rachel needed extra protection at home. Is there something wrong?", his voice was full of worry. I clenched my fist and griited my teeth.

"Did you check his background?", I asked trying to keep my temper at bay. David means well but sometimes he can be quite stupid.

"U-Umm. N-Not really. Where's Rachel? What's happening? Is there something that I should know?", I sensed nervousness and panic. I heard him shift in his seat. He's probably already standing.

"Rachel's with me. His name is Augustus Dubois. He's a fugitive. A hired killer. He knocked out the guards but Nana's taking care of him", I said causing him to breathe a sigh of relief.

"Why is my daughter with you? What happened to the she-doesn't-need-to-know-me mindset?", David said and I can sense him smirking through the phone.

"Change of plans. Cassie and I are getting close to her to intensify protection. We had concluded that there are teenage assassins at the school. She doesn't need to know that I'm Cobra though. Just as Alexis Smith", I said as I slouched back against the chair. I zoomed on the pool and cottage view.

I saw the redhead on the cottage with a towel draped over her shoulders while drinking apple cider. The others were chatting about who knows what. Rachel's gaze is fixed on Riley and Chloe who are still at the pool. She's probably thinking of hooking her bestfriends up.

"Is that it, Lex? Just to intensify protection?", I turned my attention back to David who had an amused tone. I can imagine him smiling over the phone.

I cleared my throat "O-of course. Why else would I get closer to her?" I asked eventhough I already knew the answer.

"No reason, Lex. Anyways, I'll be returning this Sunday since I almost sealed this deal with the Chinese. I got a plan you'll like. It's about time I introduce you to Rachel. But bye for now. Call me when something comes up. Take care of my princess."

"Wai-", I was cut off when I heard the tone indicating that he already hung up. I decided to head back to the pool where dinner will be served shortly.

As soon as I came out, everyone turned their heads to me. I was about to say hello when someone from behind pushed me causing me to fall on the pool. As soon as I reached back up, I saw my cousin laughing her ass off. My eyeglasses are wet and so are my clothes. I felt my shorts sipping the water and getting heavy.

I quickly swam to the edge and moved out of the pool. My back to the cottage as I was facing my beloved cousin who was smirking. I knew exactly why she pushed me. And knowing I don't exactly have a choice, I groaned. Walking with a soaking shirt and a pair of heavy shorts is an inconvenience.

I took off my eyeglasses and handed it to her. Next, I gripped the hem of my shirt and pulled it off. I heard gasps coming from the cottage. Not to sound cocky but I am confident with my body. All those trainings and workouts paved way to a well-toned back. I still have my back turned on them so they still haven't seen the light contours of my stomach. With a glance, soft highlights of feminine abs can be seen. I then removed my shorts which I then squeezed. Thank goodness I didn't put anything on my pockets.

I wore a pair of red bikini earlier knowing that I'll probably be pushed in. I looked at Cassie in annoyance but she only looked back at me chuckling.

"You should turn around before they forget how to breathe", Cassie playfully said. I felt my cheeks heat up. I wasn't used to people seeing my body. I may be confident but this is the first time that the people who are looking at me knows me. Well, aside from Cassie and the other agents.

I took a deep breath and turned around. I felt eyes roaming around my body. I was already on my bikini but I felt as if I am being undressed completely. But I felt a surge of confidence when I saw my favorite pair of blue eyes looking at me up and down and licking her lower lip. As soon as she looked into my eyes I couldn't help but smirk causing her to turn away with face as red as a tomato.

Gotcha, Ashford.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.3K 860 13
Remy Viper, she's Maya's girlfriend since they were young, and Remy asked her. Remy is very possessive over Maya and protective of her. Remy is a ver...
33K 1.2K 44
Lily Adams has been always protected by her father John Adams, the billionaire, and surrounded by bodyguards since she was little. Turning 21, Lily...
99.5K 3.7K 21
When Quinn, 37, gets assigned as the new bodyguard of Nia Nazari, 22 year old daughter of a billionaire, she is less than excited. Little does she kn...
4.9K 230 26
Kaitlyn Jarred has a relatively good life; great parents, great school, great boyfriend. She's also the daughter of the United States Speaker of the...