Daughter of Darkness

By Hellfire_Guardian

More

Daughter of Darkness
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17 - WARNING: Explicit Content
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 8

16 1 0
By Hellfire_Guardian

Nightingale wiggled her hand free from his very quickly, drawing and recoiling it back to her side. "Well I've been alone a lot in my other life. Mother is the only one who was constantly there for me. Well..." Night sighed softly and curled her hand to her heart. "For the time that she was dead I was mostly alone. Father was too depressed to do much but sit in his office and work. I hadn't really met the Angel yet... and Ravin was gone." She said, a bit of pain reflecting in her eyes. "Loneliness kills worse than love. I can say that..." She muttered, once more placing her palm over his heart.

Her eyes suddenly perked. "No! don't be tired! Don't go to sleep and leave me to my insomnia if I still have it! No! Gideon." She whimpered, her eyes widening. "I'll make you stay awake." She then threatened, her hand forming a fist over his heart. "Either we go back now, you stay awake, or we sleep here." She said as a full ultimatum.

"Wah!" Gideon said, his eyes flew open. Her sudden exclamation had startled him. "I'm not sleeping, just resting my eyes. You know, sometimes dragons are more fun to talk to when they sleep anyways....." Gideon seemed amused by her distress, although he tried his best to hide it. 

"Whoops. Not supposed to tell people that." He hide his mouth behind his hand, but he moved it again as he sat up. "I'm not leaving, did I not just say that, and I wouldn't mind staying here."

Nightingale hid her head and widened her eyes, like a pleading puppy. She receded off if him slowly, dragging her fingertips over his chest till they slipped off, and at that point she cradled her own palms to her heart. "Are you talking about semi-conscious dreams, in which telepaths can communicate and interact with each other's dreams through?" She deduced, laying on her chest and accentuating herself further. "I've never been too good at that. If one leaves their mind open at night, often intruders enter and cause havoc. " She shrugged, "Or so I've learned."

At that, she shown a bright smile and started to twiddle her fingers. "So. What do you want to do even if you're tired? I absolutely love the night! It's just--" She broke into a small string of giggles. "It's my most comfortable time to be out and about."

"I would imagine, Nightingale" Gideon replied. "And while, yes, some of us can communicate through dreams, I meant something different. It's a rather dangerous secret. I shouldn't have brought it up," He shrugged.

Gideon gazed around at the old broken down farm hill they sat on. "I prefer the day, but when I can't sleep, I enjoy late night flying, when the skies aren't crowded, and even everyone's thoughts are silent..."

"Can't you hear their dreams?" Nightingale asked, rolling onto her back. "I like the night because I can just sing and play all night without anyone to bother me- Though father was often awake at night as well. The gardens of the Nightwood Estate absolutely sparkle at night!" Nightingale's eyes filled with a dreamy look, as if her memories were something she missed sadly. "I love singing..." She finally muttered after a few moments of silence.

She looked to Gideon and smiled. "I don't care about your secrets. We all have them and its everyone's own choice to share them or not.... Do you sing?"

"Hear Dreams... what an interesting concept..." Gideon mumbled. He wasn't really paying attention to Nightingale's word though. At least, Not until she mentioned singing. Music was a large part of Draconic Culture. Music, Song, The arts. Ways to express ones feelings, with out directly using words. Every dragon had one form of expression or another that they favored most, but they were expected to have some skills in many. "Well, everyone here sings..."

Gideon smiled a bit shyly, "It's a matter of whether or not you're any good. There are many singers better than myself, I'm more for literature," That was his favored form of expression, things like poetry and writing.

Nightingale rolled once more onto her back, and looked at Gideon upside down. She was a fidgety girl. "Have you tried singing a lot? Or did someone tell you a long time ago that you were no good? I hate when that happens 'cause it ruins your self-esteem forever and it takes a lot of work and devotion to conquer those feelings." She said, speaking quite rapidly until the end. "Papa is the best singer I've ever known, and he taught me all that he could. I love singing. I love the arts too. I'm more of a sculptor and jeweler than drawer or painter though." Nightingale said, rolling onto her stomach.

"I was born an Alto, but Papa taught me how to sing Soprano if needed. It's really tough but it's doable. You seem like a tenor. Are you a tenor or baritone?" She asked, her voice and eyes shining with an eager excitement. It was obvious she too loved the arts. "I'm gunna fit in well here." She then purred, reaching out and poking Gideon. "I remember a few songs from my old life. Want me to sing them to you or would you rather read me poetry?"

Gideon squirmed away from her poking. He was rather ticklish, and real smile split his face. "Hey, Don't poke me!" He laughed.

"No, It's nothing like that. I just don't like to show off my voice very much. when I do sing, I'm a tenor." He sat up and folded his knees so as that he sat on his legs. Gideon's Bright eyes seemed to burn with interest. "How about you sing me a song, and I'll recite a poem for you?" He poked her side now in return. Just in good fun.

Nightingale rolled so that she was on her back and her head lay in Gideon's lap. It wasn't her infatuation that drove her to be so close, Nightingale just acted as if everyone was one of her pets, and she could cuddle up to them whichever way she wished. "Do you want me to sing a Soprano song or an Alto song?" She then asked, her bright lavender eyes swirling up at him. "I could do both: One after and one before your poetry." She said, a small smile gracing her lips. She wiggled herself further into his lap. "I'm glad you're awake now." She said, reaching up and poking his chin. "I like tenors. They've such lovely voices. Baritones always seem to sound either absolutely menacing or awesome gentle. Too much of a difference if you ask me." She said, drawing her light finger down his cheek and flicking it off his chin. She was way too comfortable.

Gideon had no problem being lounged upon, but a light blush grazed his cheeks when Nightingale began to poke at his face. Although Gideon was rather handsome, not many girls were ever this close to him. He smiled at NIght, getting slightly lost in her swirling eyes. They reminded him of flags twirling in a parade.

"I suppose you should start with a Soprano..." Gideon said. "You can save the best for last?"

"Oh, my dear." Nightingale said with a light giggle. "I can do whatever you want me to." She winked at him and sat up. She stood quickly and started to pace around on her tiptoes, like a gymnist on a balance beam. "Let's see..." She said, spinning like a ballerina and looking to the sky. Eventually, she stopped moving, and in her place of restful standing she put her hand behind her back and began to sing. She closed her eyes and let her very talented, very trained and seemingly expert voice soar into the crisp night. It was not exactly a soprano's call, but it was a soft song, that seemed to be accompanied by a mystical music, far off in the background.

"6:30 winter morn

Snow keeps falling, silent dawn

A rose by any other name

Eva leaves her Swanbrook home"

As she sang, her fingertip began to light up, and with her voice there was suddenly an orchestra of strings playing along beside her, like a ghostly duet. The blue from her fingertips leaked into the air and seemed to swirl into sudden notes, and disappear.

"A kindest heart which always made

Me ashamed of my own.

She walks alone but not without her name..."

Nightingale paced slowly back and forth to the beat of the slow song, eventually stretching her arms out to her sides as she paced.

"Eva flies away,

Dreams the world far away.

In this cruel children's game

There's no friend to call her name.

Eva sails away,

Dreams the world far away.

The Good in her will be my sunflower field."

She stopped at the end of the chorus and spun on her heels as the instrumental section distanced her words. Like ghosts, the music filtered from her fingertips and danced around her as soft blue lights. The lights rose and fell with the notes of the music

"Mocked by man to depths of shame

Little girl with life ahead.

For a memory of one kind word

She would stay among the beasts.

Time for one more daring dream

Before her escape,

Edenbeam we kill with her own loving heart."

"Eva flies away,

Dreams the world far away.

In this cruel children's game

There's no friend to call her name.

Eva sails away,

Dreams the world far away.

The Good in her will be my sunflower field..."

As she finished, she sighed greatly and looked around, her eyes now tired.

Gideon watched in amazement. As the lyrics and magical music swirled in the night, he felt his breath catch in his throat. The music summoned sent the boy dragon into a daze, almost a trance. It was beautiful, and enchanting.

When Nightingale had finished her song, Gideon just sat, dumbstruck. "Dear, do not ask me to compare to that." He said finally. Shaking his head, like to clear a fog. His long hair hid his eyes, and Gideon quickly brushed it out of the way. His orange eyes shined bright with joy, and an even brighter smile sat on his face. "I'm jealous of you once more, Nightingale. You have such a lovely voice, and yet you claim soprano not to be your place."

Gideon got up and walked over to stand next to her, "I am eager to hear where you claim to be stronger. That was impressive."

"Oh. no..." Night said, shaking her head and dropping her gaze. She sat where she had stood, as if crumpling to the ground. "Thank you... I don't know if I should though..." She said, shaking her head and swishing her long hair around. "Whenever I sing I know Father is listening. The more I sing now the more he's assured that I am alive... I don't want him to come." She said, glancing up at Gideon. 

The song seemed to have put Nightingale in a sad mood, as was the mood of the song. "I'd rather hear one of your lovely poems than the lyrics he and I composed together ringing through my head..." She said, looking to the ground and dragging her finger along the top of the grass. "I'll sing if you wish for me to..." She said, shivering her shoulders and sighing. "I don't like my Alto anyway. I sound so weird, but my voice is stronger. My notes are clearer. Want me to try?" She asked, rolling her head back and laying down in the grass.

"You seem sad..." Gideon touched her shoulder with a few fingers, then sat down in front of her. "How about a light hearted song? I'd still love to hear you sing, and if your father loves you like you make it sound he does, I do not fear him so much."

"He puts all his nice emotions into loving the family." Nightingale said, a small chuckle coming from her as she raised her head to him. "But enough about him." Nightgale bounced to her feet. "Sorry if this one scares you. I absolutely love it!" She said, with a wide grin. This time, her voice was much rougher and deeper, and her fingertips glowed a dark blue and seemed to form the sounds of metal guitars and heavy drums. "My louder songs often cheer me up. I know when I need to cheer myself up too." She said with a sheepish grin.

"We came to battle baby

We came to win the war

We won’t surrender

Till we get what we're lookin for

We're blowing out our speakers

There goes the neighbourhood

A little scissor happy

Little misunderstood"

Her voice was a lot rougher, and louder than it had been with her earlier, softer song. The rythym of this song was heavier, and the beat faster. The music was also, like her voice, a lot louder and rougher.

"We can turn you on

Or we will turn on you..."

Nightingale turned to Gideon and winked at him, then spun away and continued singing.

"Daughters of darkness

Sisters insane

A little evil

Goes a long, long way

We stand together

No we're not afraid

We'll live forever

Daughters of darkness

Daughters of darkness"

Nightingale had began to pace around again, this time holding her fist near her mouth, as if there was a microphone in her hand and she was singing to a crowd. She had shut her eyes and was practically singing her little heart out.

"We're all survivors somehow

We just broke out the pack

And I don't need no dogtag!

My name is on my back!"

As she sang that verse, her large black wings burst from her back, and she twirled happily on her tip toes just for a moment. In the next few seconds, her wings receded once more.

"We can turn you on

Or we can turn on you...

Daughters of darkness

Sisters insane

A little evil

Goes a long, long way

We stand together

No we're not afraid

We'll live forever

Daughters of darkness

Never down

Never out

Playing hard

Living loud

Keeping up

With the boys

Making out

Making noise

And you better get me home

Before the sun comes up...up...up!

Daughters of darkness

Sisters insane

A little evil goes a long, long way

We stand together

No we're not afraid

We'll live forever

Daughters of darkness

Daughters of darkness!"

As she came to the final notes, she raised her fist into the air above her head and used her voice to her fullest power, making her words and song boom out like it was amplified.

Gideon was, again, taken aback at Nightingales amazing voice. Her skill at mixing Magic and Music was amazing. The song was so powerful, he had actually fallen backwards a little. Sitting up again, Gideon smiled at the black haired woman. "That was Impressive."

Continue Reading