Victim

By HolaGurrl19

Who’s the girl with the silky waist-length dark brown hair, smoldering greyish blue eyes and kissable pink li... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Endless Parade
Chapter 2 - Fateful Meeting
Chapter 3 - Ego
Chapter 4 - Resentment
Chapter 5: Wicked Lady

Chapter 6 - Demented Pair

15 0 0
By HolaGurrl19

Chapter 6 – Demented Pair

If I thought it's going to be that easy to lose Chase Ashford, then I have the misfortune to be quite wrong. For someone who was said couldn't stand to be with women, he seemed to have a knack for chasing them.

It probably wasn't even 10 minutes after I left that I felt an intense glare at the back of my head. Unless there's an FBI wanted poster with my face on it, it's very like that the glare belonged to Chase and a quick glance backward confirmed it. Even amongst the busy New Yorkers going about their day walking the streets of the Big Apple, he's easy to spot. I noticed that since last night, even in simple jeans and shirt, he stood out. It could be his towering height, his naturally good looks or just his commanding presence.

After awhile, I felt him walking beside me without even glancing in his direction, several inches separating us from touching.

Chase continued to follow me as I walked on ahead without a destination, he didn't have a problem following my fast pace with his normal one, yet he hadn't spoken a word. That bothered me for some reason, so I broke the silence.

"You're a hard guy to shake off, do you know that?" He didn't answer at first; a quick glance to his face showed me his serious expression. "I'm surprised you didn't approach me as soon as you're freed."

He scoffed. "And have you accused me of being a persistent admirer?"

"Well, that wasn't a lie, was it?" I shot at him.

All I get was a grunt in response. Well, that doesn't leave me much to work with.

I get the sense that he's angry with me and his silence is his way from showing it. That unnerved me. Whether it was when we were kids or young adults, I quickly find out that I don't like him being angry at me for whatever reason. But before I can think of a way to end the stifling atmosphere starting to surround us, I get a distinct feeling of being watched and if Chase is already next to me, which could only mean one thing.

Unaware that my mind is already elsewhere, Chase kept up with my pace as I inched closer to his side so I can keep walking forward and took a quick glance backwards without bumping into an unsuspecting New Yorker. I knew the moment he thought I was acting unusual when I could felt his eyes on me but I ignored him. I surveyed the crowd behind us until my eyes narrowed on an inconspicuous man in all black...if not for his long-lens camera.

Paparazzi. "Shit," I muttered, sharply glancing forward.

Chase tense beside me, the space previously between our sides a few minutes ago are now nonexistent. "What is it?" he asked, alarmed.

I glanced back and I just knew that the guy noticed my suspicious questioning eyes. Knowing that his cover was blown, he didn't bother staying behind but rather without the pretense, he felt as if he could approach us now. Camera included.

Given this morning's headlining news and how close in proximity Chase and I were, that is not an option.

I glanced forward and quickened my pace, tucking Chase along. "This is all your fault," I muttered pointedly at Chase and without a warning went into a sprint, the stupid devil as my baggage until he took the hint and run on his own. This time I didn't need to glance back to see the paparazzi hot on our tails.

You're not getting a story out of me, I promised.

Recalling the way around the place and I know the perfect place to lose the guy. "This way," I called out to Chase, telling him to follow me. Surprisingly, without a question, he did. Seeing the public library ahead, I slowed into a slow jog and went inside quietly. Chase not far behind. He caught up to me at the front desk, and as if he couldn't help it, he asked, "How did you know we were being followed?"

"Do you honestly think this is my first time being chased by paparazzi?" I smirked at him.

He shrugged, looking around him. "I guess not. But why a library?"

It's now my turn to shrug. "It's huge for one so it's easy to lose them around the structure and it's usually filled with people about our age so we can blend in." Thank god he didn't wear that ridiculous suit from yesterday, or he would've stood out like a sore thumb. No matter how good he looked in it.

For a second, he looked impressed. "Nice job, Angel," he smiled at me.

"Yeah, whatever," I turned away from him nonchalantly. Not my best comeback but I was too taken back, not by his compliment but by how pleased I felt from that. It's almost like I was still 5 years old and still worshipping him. "Act normal," I told him before trying to blend into a table with a bunch of high school kids, picking up a random book to hide my face. Chase taking my queue and took a seat at the private study table, his face hidden while inside the cubicle.

As soon as he settled, the paparazzi guy burst into the library loudly causing the librarian to glare at him and the proceeded to scold him while he looked sheepishly around, still trying to locate our whereabouts though unsuccessfully. Apparently, he isn't allowed in the library for the disturbance he had caused and was escorted out by two burly security guards. Even when he was on his way out, he still keep glancing around and when his eyes wandered in my direction, I dropped the book covering my face and mockingly waved at him.

His eyes widened and he reached for his camera. But the security guards saw it before he does and one of them confiscated it from him. In the end, he was thrown out without achieving what he came for. Oh well, it's sad when you have a story but no proof to support it.

Then it's nothing but a rumor. My lips unconsciously tilted up at the sides into a smirk.

I feel someone leaned on the end of the table beside me, "You're diabolical," a whispered in my ear, his breath sent a shiver through me. I shrugged it off and turned my smirk up at Chase.

"Couldn't help myself," I whispered innocently at him, batting my lashes exaggeratingly.

He grinned at me. Leaning down again he said, "Now that he's gone, let's get out of here. How about that breakfast?" I raised my eyebrows at him, so we're back to that, huh? By now I already know denying him won't make a difference. Not to mention that paparazzi could possibly be still waiting for us outside but the victory from the aftermath with the pap made me thirst for another.

So instead of telling him that, I answered with a loud voice; "I DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE NIGHT WITH YOU!!!". All the students in the library started staring at Chase with judgmental eyes and he was embarrassed as he walked back to his seat from before. I, on the other hand, raised the book I was holding again. Before it was to hide my face but now it was to hide me laughing my ass off. Thinking of his face when I said that to him in front of everyone only sets me off on another round of laughter. He peeked at me several times, and turned away with an annoyed grunt when he saw my shaking shoulders.

Chase: 1, Destiny: 2. I win.

After a couple of minutes, I manage to compose myself and I walked quietly to his table, finally ready to go have that breakfast he persistently wanted us to have to make up for the embarrassment. Even by my standard, that may have been too harsh. But after one last joke, so I whispered to him, "Listen here you little devil, I study psychology," okay, just one semester because I need to, "and I know what a man is thinking, I guess you felt embarrassed, right? Well, get used to it. I hope you don't think you'll have a peaceful stay in my turf."

Chase turned to me with a mischievous glint in his eyes and before I knew what's coming to me, responded with a loud voice: "$300 JUST FOR ONE NIGHT?! THAT'S TOO MUCH!!!" To my mortification, all the people in the library looked at me in shock at the turn of events and they started whispering amongst each other, eyes averting from us. Chase then whispered in my ears, "I studied Law and I know how to make someone feel guilty, Angel. So bring it on, I'm looking forward to rumble with you."

Chase: 2, Destiny 2. Damn him.

I glared dagger at him and marched to the library exit, paparazzi or no paparazzi. It's way better than staying another second in his presence. Just when I thought we could get along too. Relaxed footsteps behind me mocked me that I'll continue to have a shadow following me, at least for the rest of the day and I muttered several curse words under my breath at the infuriating man behind me.

As I was passing a secluded alcove, I recognize one of faces carefully hidden in partial darkness and dread filled me at the thought someone I know witnessed my humiliation. The last person I wanted to know about it, Damien Kings, is seated next to a good-looking boy about our age – though he doesn't look familiar so he might've not been from our school – and by the way his amused grey eyes stay connected with mine throughout my walk of shame to the door, I knew he watched what happened previously with Chase. The tiny tilt of his lips only confirmed it, if not for his companion's grin.

As soon as I stepped outside, a camera flashed and I internally groaned.

Turning my head slightly, I practically growl at him, "You can forget about breakfast!"

His answering laugh only made me fumed even more.

***

By the time we got back at the penthouse, it was almost noon. I received a glare and an indigent huff from Marshall upon my arrival as I marched straight to the elevator, punching the button in anger – no doubt words had reached his ears about of Chase's identity and he's making it known that he's unhappy with my behavior this morning. Though he won't get fired or face any disciplinary actions (my pranks are that infamous), I lost some of his favor and it seems Chase earned a great deal.

"Mr. Ashford," Marshall greeted with a nod of his head, completely ignoring me. I let out a huff and continued towards our private elevator. As I waited I heard them exchanged a few words. "I'd like to say how sorry I was again about this morning; I was misinformed." Though I was facing the elevator with my back towards them, I can just imagined Marshall looked pointedly at my back as he said 'misinformed'.

Chase let out a chuckled. "It's alright, Marshall. She just likes keeping me on my toes."

"You might be the only man who can handle her then," noted Marshall, his voice so full of wonders it makes me feel slightly insulted. I wasn't that bad.

Arms crossed and a frown upon my lips, still waiting for the private elevator to descend, was what Chase saw when he went by my side. He didn't say anything, reading my foul mood and decided he tortured me enough for today, and gave me mercy.

Or at least that was what I thought.

Once the elevator closed, he couldn't help another chuckle at my expense.

"Not one word, I may just kill you," I muttered, closing my eyes and shaking my head in restrained annoyance. Another small laugh responded.

I left the library with as much as dignity one can after being caught in a scandal (though there isn't really one!) and I'm willing to bet that by tomorrow it'll be all over the news and on the internet by tonight. Today's news was bad enough, I cringed as I recalled today's headlines. Making the gossip columns once for a dating rumor can be debunked as a baseless rumor, but two days in a row with incriminating pictures this time? No doubt I'll have to deal with another phone call from Alicia for lying to her and then Alison for her absurd theory about Chase and me. I internally groaned thinking about what's to come.

It felt like the ride to the top floor took longer today for some reason and I kept muttering curse and insults under my breath, but he didn't say anything. At last, I say, "You're a demon; I swear you are sent here to make my life a living hell."

"That depends, Angel," Chase drawled, "whether you did anything to deserve that."

Cue eye-roll. "So he speaks."

"You said not to say one world," he chuckled, reminding me.

"I hate you, I really do."

"Now, we both know that's a lie." There's a note of challenge in his statement, waiting for me to deny it. I just let out a huff, looking the opposite of where he stood. I know we both note that I didn't contradict him any further.

That conversation ended in silence for the rest of the elevator ride until the door opened and I continued my march to my room, my feet stomping along the way. Surprisingly, my dad sat in the living room (he's usually in the office right about now), newspaper in hand; only looking up at the noise I was making and raised his eyebrows in question as I slammed the my bedroom door closed, surprising Zeus who lay lazily on the floor.

"I take it breakfast didn't go well," I heard him asked Chase.

I tuned out his answer and the rest of their talk as I dive face first on top of my bed, more exhausted than I thought I was.

After awhile, I felt Zeus climbed up next to me and nudged my hair with his head, letting out a quiet whimper. I turn my head to face him as he sat on his paws next to me. As soon as he settled, he nuzzled my hair again as if knowing how distressed I am and offered some comfort. The thought tugged something in my chest. So I lifted myself and reached out to hug him. Zeus didn't resist as I lay my head on top of him with my arms still around his neck. He didn't move or made a sound as I let myself relax.

I decided then that nothing matter as long as I have Zeus. He's always the one to make me feel better so I'll do whatever it took to keep him near me, even if it's to endure Chase's presence in my life again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...