Be Careful When You Bite Me

By bynadine

Holly's life has always been normal. She had nice friends, good grades, loving parents, so how did she get su... More

Be Careful When You Bite Me
Chapter Two
Chapter three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
chapter six
chapter seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter twenty three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Fifteen

16.7K 295 37
By bynadine

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Be-Careful-When-You-Bite-ebook/dp/B0CLN42KS4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy!

Chapter 15

I had been lost in thought for what must have been hours when I finally was brought back to reality at the sudden sound of the door opening. I jumped up from my bed and gazed towards the window where I could see it had gotten dark. I turned my gaze back towards the bed where the cellphone Luna had given me rested. I quickly grabbed it and shoved it underneath the mattress. I got up and out of bed to witness Asia stepping in with take-out bags in her hands.

"Hey you," she set the bags down on the kitchen island," I brought some Chinese take out, I can't imagine how long it's been since you had any."

My stomach growled at the smell of general tao and I took a seat on the stool.

"Thank you, that's really nice of you, I don't have any money to pay you back."

She began to open up the small cardboard containers," please, it's my treat."

The scent of sweet and sour chicken balls was beginning to make my mouth water.  It reminded me of nights where my mother was too tired to cook and she would order in. 

I grabbed the chopsticks and hungrily munched away at the meal. Asia took a seat beside me," how was your day today?"

I tried to hide the sudden feeling of anxiety that arose within me. I wondered if she could somehow tell that I was hiding something," it was alright, I saw myself on the news as a missing person, that was hard to watch."

Asia's expression turned sad," I can't imagine what your parents are going through right now."

"Me neither, I wish I could call them, just to reassure them that I'm okay."

Asia looked hesitant before setting her chopsticks down and grabbing her cellphone," make it quick."

I looked at her with an expression of uncertainty," are you sure?"

She nodded," don't tell Damon."

I grabbed the phone and got off the stool, I punched in my mother's phone number and looked up at Asia who gave me a reassuring smile. I gulped back my nerves and hit dial.

I felt my heart drop to the deepest pit of my stomach as I heard the phone ringing and finally, the purest voice of all, my mothers.

"Hello?"

She sounded normal. That was my first thought was that she sounded normal. I took a deep breath and tried to get my words together.

"Hello," I replied," mom, it's me."

"Holly," I could always hear it in my mother's voice when she was getting ready to cry and I could tell that it was coming," Holly, where are you?"

"Mom, I'm okay, I'm not far from home."

"Where have you been all this time, I thought you were dead somewhere!"

"I'm in New York mom."

"What the hell are you doing in New York!"

I could hear the anger and the frustration through the crying but I could also hear the relief.

"I've been at a friend's house here, I'm going to stay a little longer but I'll be back soon."

"Which friend? I didn't even know that you knew anybody up there."

"She's an old friend from school mom, I never really told you about her."

"Holly this doesn't sound good, where are you really?"

"Mom I promise I'm okay, I'm at a friends and I'll be back soon-"

"No, you have to come back now! Your father is worried sick, he's got police all over looking for you."

"Mom I promise I'm okay, I just needed a couple of weeks away, I'll catch up on school when I'm back-"

"When Holly? I can't live like this, hearing from you once every week or so, you just turned 18, you can't be out on your own you have to be here."

I felt tears stream at the corner of my eyes and felt my heartbreaking.

"I'll be back home soon Mom I promise, can you tell dad that I love and miss him please?"

"He'll be home in an hour or so, you call and you tell him."

"I'll try, but Mom please don't be worried, I really am fine."

"I don't understand Holly, is it something we did? Are you in trouble?"

"No Mom, not at all, I miss you guys so much, I need some space right now, just for another couple of days maybe a week."

"We miss you Holly, please come back soon."

"I will Mom, I promise."

With that, I blinked back my tears and ended the car. That had to be one of the hardest phone calls I've ever had to make but I couldn't bypass the inevitable fact that a new sense of relief now draped over my body and it felt as if I could finally breathe again.

I thought about what Luna had said, my old life back for Dimitri.

I looked back to see that Asia was staring at me, her expression both concerned and sorrowful.

"Are you alright?"

I nodded and blinked back some more tears," I feel a lot better now, thank you," I handed her back her phone. I meant it when I thanked Asia. It was selfless and kind of her to have done that.

"Of course, I bet your Mom feels a lot better."

I nodded," I hope so."

The door suddenly burst wide open and in walked in Xavier and Damon.

I felt sudden butterflies forming at the base of my stomach at the sight of Damon. Asia ran out of her chair and into the waiting arms of Xavier and I wondered if Damon had expected me to do the same. His gaze met mines as soon as he walked in and the expression on his face told me that he felt uncomfortable as well.

"Hi," I meant to say the words but instead I breathed them out," you're back."

He nodded, coming closer to me," I'm back."

I looked up at him now that he was just a foot or two away and wanted so badly to touch him," you left."

He nodded once again," I'm sorry, I should have told you before I left, you fell asleep I didn't want to wake you up."

I nodded and looked down at the ground before looking back up at him," there's Chinese...if you want some."

He smirked an amused smile and said," not my kind of food but thank you for the offer."

I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment and I wondered what the feeling in my chest was. I diagnosed it as missing him and pondered why.

"Is there any news, did you find someone who will help me?"

His expression turned serious and he shook his head," not yet."

I swallowed back my nerves and thought of what Luna had said.

He's got a soft spot for you, use it.

I hardly believed that but I figured that it was my last chance to help myself out and so I brought up my hands and placed them on his jacket," I want to go back to the castle."

His gaze flickered from my fingers back to my eyes and a look of confusion crossed his face," why?"

"I don't like it here, I want to be back in my room," my voice was shakier then I had intended it to be and I gave myself a mental kick to remind myself that his intuitions were stronger and better then mines, he could pick up on when I'm lying," I-I feel like if nobody here wants to help me I might as well be somewhere I got used to-"

"You got used to the castle? You want to go back after I put you in that cell?"

"I understand why you did that Damon," I locked eye contact with his and repeatedly reminded myself that I had to do this if I wanted to ever see my mother again," I know you didn't mean it, I could tell it hurt you, but I don't know these people and I feel like I'm intruding-"

"The castle might not be safe, Matheos and Elisabeth might come back to finish what they started."

"Not if you're there with me, you'll protect me, you always have so far."

He stayed silent for a couple of seconds and I almost wanted to vomit at the sound of my own words. Technically I wasn't telling any lies, had it not been for Damon, I'm sure someone would have killed me by now.

"I could get you a hotel to stay in, just until we figure it out, I'm planning on meeting with the Council, explaining the situation-"

"Please," I begged," can't we do all that from back home?"

He finally nodded, his gaze softening up," Okay, I have some things I have to take care of tonight, spend another night here and we'll be out of here first things tomorrow morning."

I nodded and forced a smile," thank you."

Xavier and Damon only stayed an hour longer before bidding us farewell and departing again. I lay in bed that night, tossing and turning, glancing at the phone Luna had given me.Sleep didn't come easily as my thoughts did a good job of keeping me up. I couldn't help but feel guilty for playing Damon like that but a part of me was shocked that it worked. Half of me expected him to dismiss any request I may have had.

Maybe it was because I let him bite me?

It had to be.

I thought about what might happen if I were able to pull of Luna's plan. I couldn't pretend part of me didn't feel a bit of distaste at the idea of never having to see Damon again. The mere thought made me uncomfortable. I forced myself to put those thoughts to rest by remembering that I had a life before all of this. I had school, and college applications and after that, I had a whole life that I hadn't even started imagining. I finally drifted to sleep, my last thought still being Damon.

Morning time rolled around quickly and before I knew it I was being awaken by the strong beams of light penetrating though the window. I tiredly got out of bed and took a quick shower before slipping back into my clothes that Asia had so kindly washed last night.

I grabbed the cellphone that Luna had given me and made sure it was turned off before placing it deep inside my bra.

In the kitchen was Xavier and Damon talking amongst themselves while Asia was busy making breakfast.

Damon caught my eyes as soon as I entered, "Good morning."

"You sleep a lot," Xavier said, munching on a piece of bread.

I thought that vampires don't eat.

"Leave her alone, she had a long day," Asia chimed in, sliding a plate with eggs, bacon, and fruit my way," eat up."

"Good morning," I replied tiredly, munching on a piece of bacon," thank you for washing my clothes and breakfast."

Asia's smile lit up the entire room almost as much as the sun did," my pleasure, I'm going to miss you when you're gone."

I nodded, suddenly losing my appetite," I'll miss you too."

The drive back to the castle was silent. The tension made the air thick and I could tell it came from Damon's confusion towards how I acted last night. I couldn't keep up the act, I didn't know how to, and so I remained silent for the entire ride. When the car finally reached the main gates of the castle, my eyes flashed with pictures of the hard cold pavement walls of the cell Damon had put me in. I swallowed back my fear and reminded myself of the plan.

I turned towards Damon as the car stopped in front of the back entrance," thank you for bringing me back."

He examined my face for a couple of seconds with a thoughtful look on his face," Asia says you're welcome to go back whenever you please."

I smiled," thank her for me."

I stepped out of the car and into the castle, memories flooding me like a wave of misery. I didn't wait for Damon, instead, I marched up, back to the room I thought I wouldn't have to see again.

I jumped into the covers and sobbed uncontrollably for a couple of hours until I heard my door open.

I sat up abruptly and demanded," who is it?"

To my surprise, in walked in Isabelle and Seth.

"Look who's back," she greeted, the expression on her face clearly amused," I didn't think I'd get to see you again."

I almost wanted to groan out loud at this point. I was sick and tired of people like Seth and Isabelle making my life here worse than it already was.

"I guess you couldn't find someone to help you out after all," Seth chimed in.

"What do you want," I demanded, my voice steadier than I had predicted.

Isabelle came face to face with me, her fingernail  dragging down my neck," I know you told him."

I felt myself swallow and realized she was talking about telling Damon. I stayed silent.

"I know I said I'd drain you and feed you to the wolves, but I've got a much worse fate planned out for you."

"Are you going to have Matheos and Elisabeth drain me instead?"

Hatred slithered through her cold gaze as she muttered through gritted teeth," you wish." She pushed back on my neck hard enough to send me falling back against the mattress. I heard the door shut as they existed.

I felt the hot tears begin to stream down my face and wondered if that had meant that Damon believed me. I crawled under the mattress and went over ways that I would be able to get out of here before Isabelle could hurt me. I fell asleep and the last image on my mind was Isabelle's cold and evil stare.

I woke up screaming and grabbed my throat to make sure I wasn't bleeding. I looked down at my arms and fingers to see nothing but pale and clear skin. I fumbled with the cover to expose my body but there was no blood. The door flung open and in marched in Damon.

"What's wrong?" His voice was abrupt and worried," you were screaming are you alright?"

I tried to calm down my breathing in order to utter out some words but it took a couple of seconds," I-I had a nightmare."

He sat on the bed beside me and stroked my hair back," that's okay, you're alright."

I nodded, still breathing hard. My neck still felt sore from the dream I had. I brought my fingers up again to massage it.

"What was the dream about?" Damon asked, his voice soft. He still stoked my hair back.

"Someone was trying to kill me, I couldn't tell who, I think it was Elizabeth and Matheos."

Damon brought the sheets up to cover my legs," they won't hurt you, Holly, the outside of the castle is guarded, no one can come in without my permission."

I nodded and thought if I should tell him that it wasn't who was outside the castle that scared me as much as who was inside of it.

Damon stood up," I'm going down to the village tomorrow, you should get some sleep."

"Wait," I stopped him," why are you going to the village?"

"I have to run some errands-"

"Can I come? Please?"

"Why?"

"There's not much for me to do here, I don't want to stay alone."

He sighed out loud but nodded," alright, get some sleep."

"Damon," I mumbled, my head on the pillow. I debated my next sentence and figured it was worth a shot. I was desperate and this was the only thing I had right now that could dig me out of this hole," can you stay with me, until I sleep."

I kept my eyes shut mainly because I didn't want to witness the no doubt cringe-worthy look on his face. To my surprise, he only took a couple of seconds before replying with," yes, I can do that."

I felt the bed sink as he sat beside me.

"Stroke my hair," it felt comforting when he did it the first time and I began to yearn for the feeling again. I felt his fingers playing with the tips of my hairs and drifted into a comfortable sleep.

Read the full book + gain access to my other work on Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/bynadine

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

491K 17.5K 44
"Tomorrow, we don't have to speak of this again." I hardly know what I'm asking. I just know I want whatever it is. He watches me with an intensity...
17.5K 490 28
Hey y'all! This has been blowing up lately, I don't get it it low key kinda sucks write it my freshmen year, but if you some how enjoy it, my newest...
215K 5.4K 55
A simple mute girl who lives in a world of silence and serenity with her grandmother. A ruthless cruel mafia who lives in the world of women,drugs an...
352K 11.5K 62
The human world is long gone and is now controlled by the vampire race. Humans with money can live a peaceful life while the poor decide to sell thei...