The Faerie Curses

By August_Blue

A war is brewing in The Faerie Realm; it's up to a knight, a prince, and an outcast to stop it. When a sin... More

Chapter One: Stolen Magic
Chapter Two: The Return to Winter Academy
Chapter Three: The Fighting Ring
Chapter Four: The Summer Prince
Chapter Five: New Task, New Partner
Chapter Six: The Sprite Master
Chapter Seven: A Promise and a Funeral
Chapter Eight: The Price of Being Saved
Chapter Ten: Chasing Ghosts
Chapter Eleven: The Message
Chapter Twelve: Memories of a Traitor
Chapter Thirteen: Blood in the Snow
Chapter Fourteen: The Sprite Lair
Chapter Fifteen: Objects of Power
Chapter Sixteen: Fear Charm
Chapter Seventeen: The Witch's Potion
Chapter Eighteen: Afraid of Losing
Chapter Nineteen: The Knight Who Plays With Fire
Chapter Twenty: The Battle in New York
Chapter Twenty-One: Cursed Heart
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Guardians
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Protector's Test
Chapter Twenty-Four: Song Spell
Chapter Twenty-Five: Forbidden Love
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Summer Scepter
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Water Runs Red
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The East Tunnel
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Running From a Dying Kiss
Chapter Thirty: Diandre's Truth
Chapter Thirty-One: The Black Bandits
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Woodland Spirit
Chapter Thirty-Three: Death at Dawn
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Winter Wand
Chapter Thirty-Five: Pawns in a Game
Chapter Thirty-Six: Chased by Winter's Army
Chapter-Thirty Seven: Queen Mab
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Unlikely and Unwanted Reunions
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Midsummer Night's Festival
Chapter Forty: The Ball
Chapter Forty-One: A Dance Closer To Death
Chapter Forty-Two: The Monster Hiding in Skin and Blood
Chapter Forty-Three: When the Angel Falls
Chapter Forty-Four: Iron, Blood, and Moonlight
Chapter Forty-Five: Tick, Tock
Chapter Forty-Six: Ruler of Deception
Chapter Forty-Seven: The Death Curse
Chapter Forty-Eight: Scars and Broken Dreams
Chapter Forty-Nine: The Face of Vengeance
Chapter Fifty: Heartbeats
Chapter Fifty-One: The Longest Night
Chapter Fifty Two: Stolen Breaths
Chapter Fifty Three: I Haven't Lost You Yet
Epilogue
T H A N K Y O U!

Chapter Nine: Receptions and Runaways

2.5K 222 5
By August_Blue

The sun was slowly setting on the horizon as the Final Year students bursted out of Winter Academy's gates. The boys were holding the arms of smiling girls as they made their way through the snow towards Summer Academy. I watched from a window inside the school as a variety of silver and blue dresses brushed across the frosted ground below me. I tugged at my own dress self-consciously.

It was strapless with a deep, indigo color, and floated down to my ankles. My dress wasn't sparkly or decked out with glitter like the other dresses belonging to most girls, it was plain and tasteful. But I still hated wearing it. I felt exposed, and I longed to peel it off and dash to my room to pull on my leather pants and armor. But I had stashed all of my best fighting clothes in a fancy bag strung over my shoulder, along with other supplies that I would need. My ice sword was strapped to my leg underneath my long dress, almost invisible under the purple fabric. I felt comfort in it's cool presence on my skin.

I knew that I needed to blend in at this party, so I had the shopkeeper also style my hair all nice so that it was curled on top of my head, strands falling down and framing my face in silver rivulets. I denied wearing heels, though. I wore my same boots as always.

I gazed down the hallway, my silver earrings whipping side to side. The corridors were mostly deserted with the exception of a few stranglers rushing outside to the reception. I let out a slow breath and casually walked to a flight of stairs. I spiraled up up and up, my boots clomping on the frozen steps. Finally I had reached the topmost tower in the academy. I had also reached the armory. The armory was locked behind a heavy, thick door, surrounded by two bored looking guards.

I decided to trick them with one of the oldest tactics in the book. A diversion. Creeping away from the armory, I reached into my bag and pulled out a box of matches. I was able to bribe Noel to lend me some, and I was happy now as I fished one out of the box. I scraped it against the side and it ignited with fire. I stared at the flame, a slow smile spreading across my face. I dropped the match on one of the decorative wood tables crafted by the tree elves. Instantly, it burst into flames, and I snatched the match away so that there would be no evidence left behind.

Plastering my best worried expression on my face, I dashed around the corner towards the guards. They both straightened immediately, their hands reaching for their swords.

"Fire!" I cried. "There's a fire!"

I watched as the guards' eyes widened in surprise.

"Where?" They asked in unison.

I pointed down the hall. "I think one of the tables over there went up in flames!"

I watched as the guards sprinted around the corner, and I waited until I heard shouting.

"We need to get some water to put this thing out!" One yelled. Two pairs of footsteps thudded down the stairs.

I let out a breath of relief, but I couldn't contain a small chuckle. I approached the armory door, but just as I whipped my sword out from under my dress, I hesitated. I thought of the consequences. When I came back here, if I even came back here alive without any luck of finding the human children, Headmaster Terron would surely expel me. I thought of my career as a royal knight being sucked down the drain. I knew that things would be even worse if I was caught. But if I managed to free the children, to stop the master, maybe it would be all worthwhile.

I squared my shoulders. I made a promise to avenge Nicholas, to make The Master pay. I made a promise to Tyler, to find him and save him. I couldn't break those promises. This was all worth more than me, it was bigger than me. If I failed, this could be the end of the faerie realm as I knew it.

I slammed my sword down on the armory's lock, and it  shattered into thousands of tiny ice shards. I pulled the heavy door open, grunting with the effort. Inside the armory were hundreds of weapons all mounted on the walls. Bows and arrows, swords, and knives surrounded me, and I reached for a few knives on a nearby pedestal. They were Cold Poison knives, blades that would freeze anything they touched in ice. I shoved them into my bag. Next I tore a map of the faerie realm off of one of the walls, along with many other supplies that I would need. Knowing that I only had a few minutes left, I zipped up my bag and swung it over my shoulder.

The full reality of what I was doing sank in. I was stealing school property. And I was also leaving. The thought made my nerves hum and my veins spark as I left the armory and entered the hallway again. Younger faeries were milling around after having just ate dinner, and they gave me sideways glances at my dress. I kept walking, my back straight. I disappeared into the crowd just as the guards burst out of the stairwell with buckets of water. I smirked.

Calmly, I spiraled down flights of stairs, trying to not to seem to paranoid. I would be at Summer Academy by the time the guards realized that someone had broken in and stole from the armory. I hope.

Finally, shoving past some thirteen year olds, I approached the gates. A lump formed in my throat. I may not ever see Winter Academy again. I shook my head, dismissing the thought. I didn't have time for this. I walked out of the ice gates of my school, and with a little breath of uncertainty, I threw open my wings. Shooting up from the ground, I flew into the twilight. Night was threatening the sky. The pale, crescent moon was barely visible behind light, wispy clouds.

Beating my wings, I flew away from my school. I was almost tempted to just fly far away and abandon my plan, but I fought down the urge as I soared over the snow covered woods. Skimming the treetops, I could see Summer Academy slowly coming into view. The frost and snow gradually melted away into bright green forests with emerald trees. Crickets chirped below me, and I gazed down at swarms of fireflies winking up at me from the grass covered earth. I was in Summer Court's boundaries now.

I veered left, towards the school. Summer Academy was built just like my school, except made of polished stone. Bright vines crawled up the walls, dotted with flowers. Every window in the academy was awash with light. I glided lower. I had to admit, Summer Academy's courtyards were gorgeous. They had tropical plants, bubbling fountains, and beautifully crafted stone sculptures. I marveled at one of of a satyr playing his pipes.

Behind the school were the gardens, and I could hear the sound of gentle laughter and enchanting music. I swooped around the academy until I found myself at a small gate. I hit the ground, my wings humming, and I gently pushed it open.

All of the Final Year students were mingling in an enormous area surrounded by green hedges that rose high above my head. There were lush fruit trees strung with luminous lights, filling the reception with a soft glow. Faeries were dancing in the middles of the gardens, twirling around to the beat of the flute and fiddle. I knew that this music wasn't induced with magic, my feet stayed under my own control as I crept into view. There were long tables filled with glasses of nectar and platters of succulent berries, and I brushed past them.

I felt incredibly insecure in my dress as I inched around the sidelines past a group of gloomy girls without dance partners. I didn't belong here at this party. I wasn't a dancer, and I sure as hell didn't want to flirt. I noticed some faeries whispering behind their hands, staring at me. I tried to appear comfortable in a purple dress, but I'm pretty sure that I failed miserably.

I decided to ignore a couple that was passionately kissing on the bench next to me. I peered around the courtyard. There was Noel, dancing with a winter caster girl with toffee skin and bright eyes. There were the two summer punks that had attacked me earlier today, standing by a pond and keeping their distance. And there was Glen, being his normal self. Smack dab in the center of the dance floor, he gracefully dipped a pretty girl in a lavish red dress. They smiled at each other, and with a wink, Glen guided her back up again and spun her around. The girl's red dress swirled around her ankles. Glen then put his hand on her waist, and they floated around the dance floor, their wings humming to the rhythm. It was mesmerizing, watching their steps in perfect synchronization and their flawless, smooth motions.

It was obvious that Glen was the best dancer in the academies, the other guys paled in comparison with their awkward, disconnected movements. Glen looked like the essence of a prince. His coppery hair was falling into his face in that irresistible way that drove girls wild, and his dimples practically lit up the whole garden. It was annoying.

I tore my gaze away from the dance floor and over to a framed painting of Nicholas surrounded by numerous candles and roses. His face smiled back at me, his warm brown eyes burying themselves in my chest. It was like looking at a ghost. It was nice to see the smiling, content Nicholas for a change, and it made me glad to know that the last time I would see him would be here, in that painting, his happiness preserved.

Snapping back to reality, I knew that I needed to get going. I spotted the door across the lawn. It led inside the headmistress' wing, and I meandered towards it, casually picking up a glass of nectar from a silver tray.

I was a few steps away, the music filling my ears. Just a little longer-

"Marissa! You came!"

I smothered a groan and turned around. Headmistress Flora was making her way towards me, hovering slightly off the ground. Her gown for the night was just as large as her others. It was a huge, pluming pink dress with an astounding amount of ruffles.

"Hi, Headmistress Flora." I greeted her, trying to be polite by plastering a fake smile on my face.

"You look so beautimous tonight!" She exclaimed. "I haven't seen you in a dress in a long time, Marissa. You look absolutely marvelous."

I'm pretty sure that beautimous isn't even a word.

"Thank you." I replied. "I love your gown, too."

The truth: it looked like a five year old girl's birthday party threw up on it.

Headmistress Flora tossed a long blonde curl over her shoulder, and I could tell that she had way too much nectar to drink.

"Why thank you, I had it custom made." She gushed. Her eyes suddenly brightened. "Ooh, and that bag you have is adorable!"

I prayed that she couldn't see my knives poking through it.

"Well, a girl needs a way to carry her things." I remarked. Headmistress Flora giggled. If only she knew those things happened to be deadly stolen weapons.

"Well, I should leave you be. And if you don't mind me saying, those young men over there look like they want to dance with you." Headmistress Flora whispered, followed by a giddy chuckle.

I peered across the dance floor at a group of summer faerie guys who raised their nectar glasses at me. I made a face.

"Thanks for the warning." I told the headmistress. She doubled over with laughter.

"You're quite the independent one, Marissa. Try not to stab any of those poor boys tonight." She winked. "But just in case, I've got nearly all of the guards out here in the gardens."

Headmistress Flora sashayed away, and I watched her go thoughtfully. Nearly all of the guards were out here, to my relief, so the academy was probably almost completely unguarded. This was my chance.

Ignoring the wolf whistles of a few of the boys, I marched towards the headmistress' wing. My dress whispered against my legs as I carefully slipped behind the door, unnoticed. I quietly shut the door behind me, muffling the bubbling voices and music.

The headmistress' wing was empty. I crept down the hall, scanning the doors as I passed. Mounted to the wall were torches, casting my shadow against the stone floor. My boots made slight echoing sounds as I made my way toward the study. I was on high alert now, listening for any noise.

Looking around, I placed one hand on the doorknob of the study.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I jolted with surprise. A female guard stood glowering at me, her hands on her hips. I held up my glass of nectar.

"I had...twwo much nectar." I explained, forcing my words to slur and my eyes to glaze over. I stumbled a little, leaning against the corridor wall.

"I'm gonna bbe sick...headmistress told me to gget medicine in hhere."

The guard looked skeptical, and when she was distracted I took a quick sip of the drink. I doubled over, spitting and coughing it up all over the floor.

The guard jumped back when I narrowly missed hitting her boots.

"Crazy drunk kids." She muttered.

I sat on my hands and knees, still sputtering.

"Alright, fine, I'll let you in." The guard gagged, reaching for the keys at her belt.

She selected one and slipped it into the lock. The door to the study sprang open, and the guard turned to me.

"Make it quick." She ordered, and I stood up, still wobbling.

Suddenly, there was a clang at my feet. I looked down in horror. One of the cold poison knives had fallen out of my bag. The guard heard it too. Her eyes narrowed.

"What was that?" She asked, glancing down at the floor. Her expression became astounded. "Where did you get that?"

Dammit. There goes my great trick and acting skills.

"Sorry about this." I apologized, and lightning fast, I jabbed her in the neck. Hitting a pressure point, the guard crumpled to the stone floor, unconscious. After putting the Cold Poison knife back in my bag, I dragged the guard to a nearby room. It was a classroom, and I heaved her through the doorway. I found a big enough storage closet filled with parchment, and wincing, I set the guard down inside. She slumped over.

I didn't bother locking the closet. I knew that after my blow, the guard would be out for at least an hour. Shutting the supplies closet firmly, I exited the classroom. Once again I was in the hallway, but I was much more on edge now.

I froze for a moment. I blinked at the wall, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Glen, now I'm really convinced that you're stalking me." I called.

He stepped out from behind a large potted plant, looking disappointed.

"What gave me away?" He asked.

I pointed to his shadow cast against the wall.

"I should have known." Glen huffed.  "Technically, I wasn't following you for long, I just found you. I had to ask a couple of dorks who told me about an 'icy hot babe' that came this way, so I figured that was probably you."

I snorted. "I thought you were busy with your new girlfriend on the dance floor."

"I was," he grinned. "But then I realized you weren't on the dance floor tonight. And I hate nothing more than faeries who break their promises."

"Glen, there's no way that I'm dancing with you at this party." I snapped. "Try asking every other girl at this school. They'll happily drool and say yes."

Glen laughed, throwing his head back.

"Come on, Marissa. You can easily fight and defeat anyone and anything from here to the Human Realm, and you're scared to dance?"

"I've got to get going. Not that this hasn't been really fun." I told him, avoiding an answer.

Glen looked thoughtful. "What are you doing back here, anyway?" He inquired.

"The headmistress said that I could use her bathroom in her study." I lied. "The others are locked for the night." I smirked."Hopefully you're not going to follow me there, too."

Glen made a face at me. "Fine, partner. You've got me there."

I opened the door to the study, wishing that he would just walk away. I needed to make my escape fast.

"By the way," Glen called. "You don't look bad tonight. That dress suits you, partner."

I raised an eyebrow. "Thanks. Do you want to borrow it?"

He grinned. "I'd rather borrow your purse. Did a Barbie doll give it to you?"

I threw my hands up in exasperation.

"You're impossible!" I exclaimed, shutting the door behind me.

I stood still, listening. I could hear Glen chuckle as his footsteps faded. I peered under the door. The coast was clear. I turned back to the task at hand. The headmistress' study was an oval room with wide windows showcasing a bush of roses. There was also a polished desk at the room's center, with a collection of fancy pens scattered on it and a vase with more flowers.

It was so bright and cheery, it made Headmaster Terron's study look like a prison cell. I smiled at an elegant vanity that sat in the corner, and then my eyes rested on the mirror. It was a long, narrow one with images of flowers engraved in the frame. An undetectable mirror.

I stepped towards it, as if something was pulling me closer. My legs had a mind of their own, and I found myself staring at myself in the glass.

There's no time to lose. I told myself, not wanting to dwell any longer.

"I am Marissa of Winter Court." I whispered, placing my hand on its cool surface. My reflection faded away, and I was looking at the scene of the crime. The small town in Colorado. Taking a breath, the finality fell on top of me. I was seriously doing this. My wings twitched with anxiety and anticipation.

Gingerly, I reached my arm out. It passed through the glass like butter. I slowly stepped through, my body being engulfed. I felt the sensation of being pulled in two directions, and the pressure increasing drastically. My eyes forced themselves shut, but before I could emerge on the other side, I felt something on my wrist. I almost screamed. It was a hand.

With a cry, I was yanked backwards, and that's when I realized. Someone was pulling me. They were pulling me back through the mirror.

Thanks for reading!
Feel free to vote or comment with any feedback. I'd love to hear thoughts or ideas!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 239 60
After a failed assassination attempt, a princess leaves her life in a magical world to live a normal life among humans, but leaving royal life behind...
34.2K 4K 48
Secrets can be Powerful. ...But they can also be Deadly. Unable to weld magic dooms Julia to a life of servitude and drudgery. Desperate to break fre...
31.7K 1.1K 43
ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜱɪɢɴ ᴀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ ᴀɴᴅ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴏᴜᴛ, ɴᴏᴛ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ. The Land Of Merthia - once a place full of serenity, now a place full of...
1.7K 93 31
There' a private war In the world of Genies and Witches Only one Genie was able to get away. Then the war begins. In the middle of all the hate and...