Mute, not Deaf

By kae-now-what

For Casey Williams, life was perfect. Her Dad is a big time lawyer and her mom owns the best bakery in town... More

Authors Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Lucy's POV
Chapter 9: Lucy/James POV
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21 - Guest POV
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Business as Usual
Epilogue
This is Me Signing Off
In honor of 125k reads...

Chapter 27

16.3K 537 164
By kae-now-what

"We're here!" Derek announced as he threw my hospital room door open. The doctor looked startled and ran his hand though his hair shakily. Derek snickered and I shoved him slightly.

"As I was saying, we have realized that the sooner Casey gets the surgery, the higher chance that it will actually work. I am about to offer you something that I don't usually do." The doctor said. Mom shifted impatiently in her seat.

"Well? What is it?" She asked. Chance chuckled and put a hand on her shoulder. Grant was sitting in my hospital bed, messing with the TV channels. "Grant. Stop messing with the TV." She reprimanded.

"I am offering her a chance to have the surgery tomorrow morning." The doctor stated. Chance furrowed his eyebrows. Grant, sensing the seriousness of the conversation, turned off the TV. Mom looked up worriedly.

"How much is this going to cost?"

"Don't worry about it." Chance cut off the doctor before he had a chance to respond. "All that matters is what Casey wants to do." I smiled at him, but Mom's question was going through my mind. Was I making an expensive decision? Derek squeezed my hand supportively.

"Tomorrow is the 16th, correct?" Derek asked. The doctor nodded his head. Derek nodded his head absentmindedly. "Well, that's great then!" He exclaimed. We all looked at him in confusion. He shrugged. The doctor soon left. Mom and Chance went to take Grant to get something to eat. The only ones left were Derek and I. My other friends decided to go home and sleep.

"So...what are you gonna do my fair maiden?" Derek asked. I shrugged and sighed. "Why don't you text me so you don't have to talk or waste trees?" He suggested. I smiled and nodded my head.

Casey: I want the surgery so bad but what if it causes financial issues? What if the surgery goes wrong and I get messed up even more?

"Oh Case, don't worry about the money! If you really want it, then we will all work out something. So many people love you and cherish you. You aren't messed up either. Just...blessed in a different way!" Derek responded. I sighed.

There's also the fact of Grant. What if something happens to me and he is virtually without an older sister. What then?

"Is that what you're afraid of?"

I nodded my head rapidly. I don't want Grant to lose me. Heck, I don't want anyone to lose me. Derek, Saylor, Haley, Lucy, Chase, Jake, Jason, Chance, Grant, Mom, or even Brett!

"Oh Case, don't worry about it. I'll make sure nothing happens to you ever!" Derek stated assuredly. I looked up at him.

You promise?

"Cross my heart."

Let me talk to Saylor, Haley, and Lucy about it too.

"Ok. I'm gonna go get some coffee or something so that I don't fall asleep." Derek left the room. I smiled softly and started a group conversation with the girls.

Casey: Ok guys, they offered for me to get the surgery tomorrow.

Saylor: OH COOL!

Lucy: That's fantastic! Jason agrees.

Haley: JUST LIKE IN MY BOOK!

Casey: What?

Haley: Nothing...

Casey: Anyway, there are some dangers to it and I don't know what to do about it...

Saylor: Casey, nothing is going to happen to you. There are dangers to walking across the street!

Lucy: Really?

Saylor: Well there are!

Lucy: True. It's a once in a lifetime chance, Case.

Haley: What they said. Your fellow Hydra agents are behind you.

Saylor: Besides, like Derek would let anything harm you. Not with how he feels about you.

Case: What?

Saylor: GTG!

Haley and Lucy: BYE!

What are they talking about? Derek and I are best friends. That's it. Right? I'll just ask him about it when he gets back.

"I'm baaaaaaack!" Derek announced as he walked into the room. Speaking of the devil. Here goes nothing. I waved my phone in his face, meaning that I was going to text him.

Sooooo, Saylor mentioned something about you feeling something for me. You mean by being best friends, right?

Derek shifted in his seat uncomfortably. He didn't laugh it off or make a joke out of it. He just sat there, twiddling his thumbs and staring at his feet.

"Casey, I..." Derek gulped. "I didn't want to tell you like this. I wanted it to be sweet and rememberable. I guess things aren't always what we want them to be." He smiled. Oh lord, is he going to kill me? I always fall for the crazy ones.

Wait what?

"Anyway, I like you Case, more than I've liked anyone." He rubbed his hands against his face. "I mean it's fine if...if you don't return the feelings. I mean how could I blame you? I'm kind of nuts." Derek chuckled nervously. Aw, he's adorable when he's nervous. I tried to text a response but the doctor came in with Mom and Chance.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry to interrupt but we need your answer now." Are you kidding me? We are getting interrupted again? Nope. Not today. NOPE NOPE NOPE. I ignored the doctor and turned towards Derek.

"I like you too." I rasped out. The doctor looked petrified. Chance nodded in approval. Mom had a face full of mixed emotions. Derek looked relieved.

"Ma'am. You may have just lowered your chances of speaking. Do you still want to take the surgery." He asked fretfully. I nodded my head forceful. Honestly, I didn't care if I ruined my chances. A guy that isn't crazy likes me! Mute or not, he likes me.

Who knew?

"Alright then. You'll have your surgery at
8 a.m. tomorrow." The doctor walked out of the room. Mom and Chance turned towards me.

"We are going to go home and give the babysitter a break from Grant, ok kiddo?" Chance asked. I nodded my head cheerfully. "Derek, you should go home too." Derek cracked a smile.

"Oh Chance, you know me. I can't leave my best girl here!" Derek exclaimed. I blushed at his words. He looked over and gave me a cheeky smile. Chance nodded approvingly and left the room. Mom waved on her way out.

"Alright sunshine. You need some sleep. You've got a big day tomorrow." I tried to protest but he wouldn't hear it. I rolled my eyes and got more comfortable. Soon enough, I fell asleep.

•_•-•_•

"Casey. Casey. Casey. Case. Case! PRINCESS OF ASGARD OR GALLIFREY OR SOMETHING!" Derek was shaking me repeatedly trying to wake me up. I'm going to have to go to sleep anyway.

"Miss Williams. We need to do a few procedure things." The doctor stated. I sat up groggily. The more procedural crap the doctor did, the more nervous I got.

What if something messed up?

What if I got worse, or worse?

What if Grant lost me?

Derek must have sensed me nervousness. He held my hand and looked at me supportively. I looked at him and tried to give him a slight smile.

"Alright Miss Williams, it's time." My palms started sweating as they started to put me under. Derek spoke up.

"Hey, don't worry about it. You'll be ok."

How do you know? I mouthed.

"Because I would never let anything happen to my best girl." He gave me a small smile and squeezed my hand. I felt calm. It didn't matter if I was scared or nervous. Nothing was going to happen to me.

Not as long as Derek was around.
**
Hey Kae's Baes!

This is the last chapter. I am hosting a one shot contest if you want to enter. It's more of, if you want to write one, I'll put it in the book.

More of that the next chapter.

What did you think of this chapter?

The book?

I'm not writing an epilogue, so please don't ask. You'll guilt trip me into doing it, no joke.

I am unloading a new book soon. It'll be called "Who is He?"

Random question of the chapter:

What is your favorite day of the year?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...
114K 5.7K 43
❝We were quite a cliche, weren't we?❞ he smirked but I ignored the pang it spread in my chest. ❝We were. But this is real life. We can't hang on fan...
35.3K 768 23
Little girl always believe in Fairy Tales right? Not Annabelle she stopped after her parents fought and broke everything apart. She goes and lives wi...
369K 8.6K 41
What do you do when your boyfriend of two years cheats on you and gets caught at junior prom, in front of the whole school? You grieve, you suffer, a...