Hey There, Delilah - A 5 Seco...

By 5SecondsOfFreedom

Things change, from when you were young. Once, Delilah Cook lived in Sydney, was best friends with a boy cal... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Quick Question :)
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
BONUS CHAPTER-Luke's P.O.V
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Epilogue

Chapter 45

57.7K 1.3K 251
By 5SecondsOfFreedom

Filler, filler, filler, filler. 

Not my best chapter, I AM sorry. I rewrote this like 7 times gahh -_-

Anyway, the next chapter I PROMISE some dramatic drama mwahaha

x

“She’s been all over him like a scarf all day.” Jules growled, glaring at the bleached-blonde Coco Stewart who, indeed, was currently draped around Ashton’s neck, her arms caressing his chest.

Em rolled her eyes. “And Ashton looks seriously uncomfortable.”

“Have you tried just interrupting them?” Stella suggested, glancing up from her magazine.

“Yep.” Jules huffed. “The ‘American Beauty Queen’ just death glares me and almost strangles him.”

We all continued to sit there, the rest of us chatting quietly while Jules fumed in silence.

Finally, she got to her feet, slamming them on the ground. “Let’s go out. I don’t want to hang around here anymore.”

I glanced over to Ashton, where Coco’s nails had him pinned to the couch and was whispering in his ear.

I stood up. “I’m with you.”

Stella and Em looked at us apologetically.

“I’m so sorry!” Em said, upset. “I’ve made plans with Lora, she’s going to show me some stylist stuff, give me some tips and training.”

“And I’m going out with Mike.” Stella added, chewing her nail. “I can cancel though?”

“Don’t be silly.” Jules waved her hand. “Those things sound so much more fun anyway.”

Guilt showed on Em and Stella’s faces.

Jules grinned. “Seriously, guys. I’m just being a drama queen right now. I don’t want you to cancel anything.”

I shoved my socked feet into black Vans and rushed into the bathroom to do my hair. I was dressed in a black button-up collared shirt and burgundy shorts. I left my hair hanging loose and curly and shoved my white-rimmed Ray-Bans on.

Jules was dressed in black shorts and a white crotchet lace singlet with black military boots and classy black sunglasses.

I grabbed my phone off the counter and pressed a kiss to Luke’s cheek before Jules pulled me out the door.

“I hate her.” Jules growled, when we’d stormed a fair distance away from the venue and into the town centre.

“Hate is a strong word?” I said, tentatively.

“I need to break some things.” Jules scowled. “I need to do something stupid.”

“Um…” I glanced around myself helplessly, trying to find something that would satisfy Jules’ anger. “Boxing?”

“Can I shoot something?”

“Archery? Shooting range? There aren’t any near here, Jules.”

“Damn.” She swore.

I grimaced guiltily. “Sorry, Jules.”

“No! No, this isn’t your fault. I’m sorry I’m being such a bitch.” Jules sighed.

I bit my lip and glanced to the shop window beside me and my eyes alighted on a neon flyer.

I stopped, our linked arms making Jules jerk to stop too.

“Ow! What?” She snapped.

“Laser tag?” I suggested, grabbing the flyer.

Jules’ eyes lit up. “Let’s shoot some things.”

I used my phone to guide us to the venue, which happened to be a good few blocks away.

“How big is Hobart anyway?” I panted, as we rounded yet another corner.

“There it is!” Jules said, pointing at the dark shop front, sandwiched between two dull coloured shops.

We went inside.

The front was deceptively small, as the foyer and then the laser tag area sprawled out for a fair way.

We booked yourselves in for a game, were told the rules, put on our jackets along with the other participants (mostly pre-adolescent children with a couple of dads and a few teenage boys) and were let loose in this massive, dark metallic mayhem.

Jules and I were both on the blue laser vest team and I generally followed behind Jules as she sprinted throughout the venue, shooting her ‘gun’ at anyone who appeared, whether they were in our team or not.

Finally, the lights went on and the lasers stopped working. We were all ushered out into the foyer and handed back in our vests.

“Again.” A red-faced Jules panted.

We played another three rounds until Jules gave in.

At my gentle suggestion, we wandered around until we found a small sandwich shop.

I bought us some sandwiches and water and we continued to walk aimlessly until we found a small park.

The park was oddly quiet, despite the heat of the day.

We sat on the bridge that arched over the lake, dangling our legs through the bars. I collected some stones scattered around in arm’s length and sat quietly, resting my elbows on the planks as Jules chucked the stones angrily at the pond.

I waited it out, knowing that (like always), Jules’ anger would end and she would break down, cracking that exterior she showed other people.

And when she did, when she folded over and sobbed, I was there to catch her, just like she had for me so many times in the past.

I let Jules cry onto my shoulder and I didn’t speak, just let her cry her anger and sadness out.

When she finally pulled away, sniffing, my pocket vibrated.

Frowning, I pulled out my phone.

Luke Calling

I ignored the call and slipped my phone back.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I offered.

A part of me was a little afraid. Jules had always been my tough, ass-kicking rock, and to see her break over something like a boy, felt odd.

Jules shrugged. “Sorry ‘bout that.”

“Jules, c’mon. How many times have you picked me up when I’ve been hysterical? It’s fine! It’s good! This is what best friends are for.”

Jules gave me a watery grin. “Look at you, all mushy and stuff. All loved up.”

Her voice faltered on ‘love’.

“Let’s not talk about me.” I rushed. “Talk to me.”

“I’ve never fallen so hard for someone.” Jules admitted, quietly. “Not since Joey.”

We both flinched at the mention of her first boyfriend, the one she’d given everything to before he’d left.

“Oh, Jules.” I whispered.

“I like him a lot, Del.” Jules wiped away her tears, putting her walls up again. “I really like him a lot. Ash is everything I’ve ever wanted in a guy, and he actually gives a damn. Do you know what he said? He said he doesn’t want to sleep with me yet because he doesn’t want me to feel like a shitty one-night-stand and regret it later. He wants this relationship to be something real. And then when Coco was all over him…and he was letting her slut around!” Jules scowled furiously, her frustration back. “I thought he was different, that’s all. And it makes me angry that I was wrong about him.”

“You weren’t wrong.” I said, quietly. “Jules, Ashton made a mistake. That doesn’t mean he’s a bad guy because of one bad decision. Besides, he’s probably only trying not to hurt Coco’s feelings by pushing her off.”

“So my feelings don’t count?” Jules demanded, but the bitterness had leaked out of her tone.

“You know they do. Ash just knows that you’ll forgive him.”

Jules sighed, wiped her eyes and gave me a rueful smile. “I overreacted, didn’t I?”

I shrug. “Happens to everyone.”

“Wanna have a girls day in the city?” Jules asked, hopefully. “I just need to clear my head.”

“Of course.” I agreed with a smile.

*

We were lost.

We’d been window-shopping and milkshake drinking and aimlessly wandering, and now we were completely lost.

Jules had left her phone back at the bus and mine had died, someone having taken it out of the charger last night.

I swore, unable to even call someone.

The time on my watch said 5.47, and that meant I’d already missed sound check and was well on the way to being late to my show.

The best thing we could do was try to flag down a taxi as we continued to walk.

It didn't work, no taxis appeared.

“This is ridiculous!” Jules said, stopping. “Let’s just ask for directions!”

I bit my lip. The sky was still bright because it was summer, but the air had cooled off slightly and a few clouds puffed across the sky.

The place we had ended up in looked pretty dodgy too, with grimy shop fronts and people skulking around swathed in hoodies and smoking cigarettes, giving us sideways glances.

“Ok.” I said, uneasily.

We ducked into a greasy fish-and-chips place and walked over to the old man at the counter.

“Uh…hi.” Jules said, trying to force some confidence into her voice. “We’re a bit lost. Could you please give us some directions to Carlyle Hall?”

The man laughed. “Sure, kiddo. Where are you really headed?”

“Carlyle Hall!” I put in, frustrated. “We’re going to a concert there tonight!”

“Better hurry then. It’s right on the other side of town.”

The other side of town?

I glanced at Jules in horror.

How the hell had we gone so far?

“How can we get there?” Jules demanded.

The man scribbled some instructions down on a napkin and told us to hurry.

“It’ll take a while to get there.” He warned. “So hurry up if you want to make your concert.”

“Thank you!” Jules and I chorused and raced out the door.

The instructions were painfully hard to decipher, the man’s writing almost illegible.

But we followed them as fast as we could, our legs aching and our throats dry, exhausted.

We had to make that concert.

*

The sky was just beginning to fade to twilight when we arrived at Carlyle Hall.

“Miss Delilah! Miss Juliana!” Tony exclaimed, rushing forwards from the gates. “Everyone’s been so worried about you! Where have you been? Jo’s about to call the police!”

“We. Got. Lost.” I panted. “On. The other side. Of town.”

Jules leaned heavily against the iron fence, coughing. “Jesus. I need to get fit.”

Tony lifted his radio to his mouth. “This is security, they’ve been found. I repeat, they’ve been found.”

“What time is it, Tony?” I demanded, terrified.

“Past your set time.” Jo said sharply, storming out from the venue and glaring at us both. “Where the hell have you two been?”

“We got lost.” I admitted, shamefacedly. “I’m really, really sorry, Jo.”

“You damn well better be.” Jo said, then grabbed me tightly in a hug. “I was so worried about you girls."

“I’m so sorry.” I said, biting my lip. “I had some personal issues to deal with and then my phone died and then we got lost…”

“No. Jo, it was my fault. I was upset and…” Jules cut me off.

“We can discuss it later.” Jo interrupted us both. “Now you need to get onstage. The boys are performing now and want to know you’re alright.”

I was hurried through hair and makeup with Lora, who admonished me the whole time, with Jules tapping her foot in the corner.

Em and Stella flew at us both, scolding and crying.

I changed into my set clothes and Eddie adjusted my mic.

Then we were rushed side stage.

The boys were singing Unpredictable, which I recognised as their third song of the night.

None of them looked focused. Ash’s hands were set on autopilot with the beat, his face showing a mass of emotions.

Luke kept flicking his gaze about, glancing in all of the wings.

Guilt stirred in my stomach, knowing he was looking for me. He worried about me too much.

I must have come into Luke’s vision, because suddenly, his eyes locked with mine and he stopped playing the guitar mid-chord and stared at me.

Cal’s voice trailed off with the lack of guitar and Mike’s guitar screeched to silence.

Ash stopped drumming and followed Luke’s gaze to see us standing there awkwardly.

“Jules!” He shouted, getting to his feet and jumping off the slightly raised platform his drums were on and racing towards Jules.

Fry pushed us both onstage and then Jules was in Ashton’s arms, kissing him passionately.

“I’m sorry. So sorry.” Ashton murmured.

Jules shook her head. “I’m sorry. Now get back to your show.”

“I guess the fans know about you two now.” I said to Jules, as Ash released her and returned to the drums.

I knew the fans were the reason that Luke hadn’t run to me. He didn’t want me to get hate.

I could tell from the desperate look in his eyes that he wanted to come over to me and make sure I was ok. But he couldn’t and it was killing him.

I sat in the wings with Jules for the remainder of the show and watched as 5SOS returned to their performance with much more energy and enthusiasm.

Just as they finished the last song, instead of saying goodbye, Luke grabbed the microphone.

“Seeing as we didn’t get to hear Delilah Cook sing tonight, how about her and I do a duet, yeah?”

I shot him a glare as Jules herded me onstage amidst the screams of teenage girls.

“Luke.” I growled, softly.

He smiled at me tenderly, pushing a curl of my face, his hand lingering slightly on my cheek. “C’mon. Just like on the beach.”

He started strumming his guitar and I began to sing.

“Right from the start, you were a thief, you stole my heart, and I, your willing victim…”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1M 74K 46
May had recentely moved from her home in England to sunny Sydney, Australia. She hated the thought of moving, but little did she know, that her move...
31.4K 474 43
I'm that girl, you know the one that sits behind the scenes as her best friends make their dreams come true? Yeah her. In my case, I'm best friends w...
690K 17.4K 33
Scarlet and Luke have been best friends since the first day of kindergarten, since then they were inseparable. But what happens when Luke leaves with...
4.5K 103 18
You've heard about them, all over the radio and YouTube, and you've possibly seen them play a gig or two. Calum Hood, Michael Clifford, Luke Hemmings...