A Witch's Luck

By TayciBear

Isis is a ritual teacher at a school for magical beings. But if she is to lead her coven she must find a mate... More

Chapter 1: Summer Solstice
Chapter 2: Seshat Harris School for the Gifted
Chapter 3: Date Night- Witches Only
Chapter 4: Friends
Chapter 5: Meet Your Match
Chapter 6: Sister to Sister
Chapter 8: Confused
Chapter 9: What Can I Do?

Chapter 7: The Ball

105 7 0
By TayciBear

"Tell me exactly what Jill said, word for word." Sam leaned forward in her chair.

"Jill said that Grant was questioning some things and that he thinks he has feelings for someone besides Janet. She said that she didn't know who it was, but that she sees the way he looks at me when he thinks no ones looking." Isis grabbed one of the dresses and wriggled into it. She already knew she wouldn't like it, but Sam had insisted.

"She's his sister. She would know if he acts different around you."

Isis stepped out of the dressing room. "Yeah, but she wasn't one hundred percent sure. She could be wrong."

Isis turned around for Sam. "I told you I wouldn't like it."

Sam sighed. "You are the worst. It looks great on you."

"I'm not getting it," Isis said, shaking her head.

"Fine, try on another one and I'll see if there's one we missed. What color is it supposed to be again?"

"Silver or black. Jill has a purse that matches his tie that I can borrow." Isis headed back into the dressing room while Sam browsed.

Isis wanted to believe Sam, but at the same time she wasn't sure how she felt. She did like Michael and they got along well. Their marriage wouldn't be horrible, it would probably be pretty easy. But did she want easy?

"I think this is it," Sam called. She raced to the dressing room and handed the dress over the door.

Isis held it up in front of her. It is pretty. Isis slid into the dress easily. She turned in front of the mirror, smoothing down the front. The dress hit at her knee and was form fitting. It was a sparkly black with a sweetheart neckline. It accentuated her body yet, was still comfortable.

Isis walked out of the dressing room. "So, what do you think?"

Sam gasped and clapped her hands together quickly. "I love it! You look amazing. Now all we need are shoes and a necklace. I say a pearl necklace and shoes that match his tie."

Isis beamed. "Okay, give me a minute."

Isis slipped out of her dress and placed it back on its hanger. They walked to the jewelry department and found the perfect necklace. Next they went to the shoes and found opened toed slingbacks the exact shade of red needed.

"This was a good haul. Thanks Sam." Isis and Sam hugged.

"Of course. And you'll know how he feels after tonight. You are stunning." Sam kissed her cheek and squeezed her hand. "I love you."

Isis' eyes began to water. "I love you too."
______________________

Isis felt nauseous. It's okay, just breathe. Relax Isis. She took a deep breath and tried to settle herself.

There was a knock at the door and Isis jumped. She was at Jill's house while they got ready and Jill was helping with her makeup. Isis opened the door and Jill came in. She was wearing a long navy blue ballgown. Her dark hair was down around her shoulders.

"This lipstick will match perfectly." Jill had made it her mission to help Isis look perfect.

Isis put on the lipstick and looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was pulled back into a low bun which helped highlight the dress. Everything was on point, if only her stomach would stop fluttering.

Jill sat down on her bed and patted next to her for Isis to sit. She began putting on Isis' necklace. "Grant will be here with the limo shortly. Once we get to the ballroom, we'll be announced as we enter and be seated for dinner."

Isis gulped. "Announced? Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"Its not that big of a deal, I promise. There's a lot of us, but since Grant is next for Alpha y'all will go last." Jill finished clasping the necklace.

"Great. I'll be hungry and even more nervous," Isis said turning to Jill.

"After dinner there will be a dance with all of the upper pack members and their dates. Don't be nervous. Remember its not that difficult and follow Grant's lead."

Isis nodded. After dress shopping, she came here and she and Jill had practiced the dance for hours. The doorbell rang and Isis groaned.

Jill grabbed Isis' shoulders and squeezed gently."That's them. Breathe, you'll be okay."

Jill grabbed her hand and they walked downstairs together. Jill's longtime boyfriend Dave had let in Grant by the time they made it downstairs. Grant was fidgeting with his hands when he saw Isis. His face began to turn pink and he smiled nervously. Isis stopped in front of him and smiled. He was wearing a dark grey suit and a red tie.

"Hey," he said softly. "You look amazing."

He pulled her into a hug and sighed. "I missed you. Sorry for being a jerk."

"Its okay," Isis mumbled into his chest.

Jill cleared her throat. "Y'all ready."

Grant and Isis stepped apart awkwardly, Isis shooting daggers at Jill.

"Yeah, let's go," Grant said, grabbing Isis' hand.
_______________________

When Isis stepped out of the limo, her nerves dissipated. The ball was being held at the town hall and it had been transformed. Limos were lined up outside and lights were twinkling everywhere.

"Whoa," Jill said. "This is wonderful. Even better than last year."

Grant put his hand on Isis' lower back. "Come on sis. If we're late mom's going to yell at us."

Inside were dozens of matching couples fussing at each others clothes. Isis took deep breaths, her nervousness returning. I can do this.

"Comstock," a voice yelled. Isis' party turned towards the voice, a mans. "Over here," the man waved.

They walked over and the man clapped Grant on the back. "Hey man we're ready. Jill you're here, Grant you're here." Everybody settled into place.

"Let's get this show on the road. Adams, start walking."

"You ready," Grant asked Isis.

She looked up at him and smiled. "Ready," she said, grabbing his arm.

The walk felt like ages and they were both aware of how close they were to each other. Isis could feel him looking at her, but she kept straight forward.

Finally they were about to be called when Grant squeezed her arm. "Thank you for coming. It means a lot."

Isis looked up at Grant. "You're my best friend Grant. I would do anything for you." They stared into each others eyes and the moment seemed to last forever.

"Comstock, you're next."

Grant blushed and looked away. He straightened his back. "Smile."

The curtains opened and Isis was blinded.

"Grant Comstock and his partner, Isis Harris."

Isis could hear applause and felt hundreds of eyes upon her. Her smile began to falter, but she remembered what Sam said. She pushed her shoulders back and smiled as big as she could. They made their way down the large staircase and finally she could see. There were round tables and chairs set up around the emptied hall and a large area had been cleared for what she assumed was for dancing. The applause died down and they were at their seats near the front.

"That was intense," Isis said to Jill as she sat. "Not as bad as I thought it be would be either."

Grant sat down next to her. "It never is and you get more used to it every year."

Jill beamed at her and Isis felt elated. Her dread turned out to be for naught and even if Grant did not have feelings for her, he was still her best friend and she treasured that. She was surrounded by people she cared for and she couldn't be happier.

"Excuse me everyone."

The room went immediately silent. Isis looked at the podium that had appeared. Standing there was Grant's mother looking regal in a purple dress.

Jeanine Comstock continued. "I want to thank everyone for joining us today. This is our 50th annual ball and we couldn't have made it this far without all of you. Dinner will be served shortly, thank you."

"Good," Dave said, rubbing his stomach. "I am starving."

Isis' stomach growled and she giggled. "Me too."

Three courses were served, each one more amazing that the last. They had risotto with scallops, braised beef short ribs, and finished with a chocolate tart.

Grant leaned back in his chair and sighed. "That was amazing."

"Yes it was," Isis said wiping her mouth with a napkin. "Is it bad that I want more."

Grant grabbed her knee and squeezed. "We still need to be able to dance."

Isis' stomach fluttered for the millionth time. This is so confusing.
She forced a smile and nodded.

"Attention," the man who had lined them up was now at the podium. "Can the couples please come to the dance floor."

"That's us," Jill said, standing up.

Isis and the rest of the table stood up and walked towards the dance floor. The man led them to their spots and they got into position. Isis placed her hand on Grant's forearm.

"Do you remember the steps," Grant asked.

"Do you?" Isis winked at him.

The music began. Isis had known that Grant danced, but she had never seen it first hand. He moved with a grace that was unexpected for someone so tall and thin. Before she knew it, the dance was over. The crowd clapped and the dancers went back to their seats.

Jeanine returned to the podium. "We will begin the next dance in ten minutes. Drinks are in the northern corner."

Isis felt confused from the dancing and didn't notice Grant talking to her.

"Hey," he said gently, rubbing her arm.

"Huh," Isis answered.

"Would you like a drink?"

"Yes please." She frowned as he walked away. She was more confused than ever and she couldn't get Jill's stupid voice out of her head.

Jill stood up quickly. "Isis, will you go to the bathroom with me?"

"Sure," Isis said. Before she could get up, Jill was already halfway to the bathroom.

Isis found Jill sitting in the waiting area of the bathroom. "Why did you leave so fast?"

"My mother was coming. It's best for everyone if we avoid her. Besides I needed to talk to you," Jill said seriously.

Isis furrowed her brow. "About what?"

Jill sighed and rubbed her eyes. "I know you don't believe me about Grant. I know what I saw when you were dancing. And you're one of my closest friends, but he's my brother. I'd hate to see him get hurt because you aren't sure."

"I swear Jill I don't-"

Jill held up her hand. "Just think about it. You may not, but I know my brother."

Isis nodded. What am I going to do?

When they left the bathroom, dancing had already begun. A live band with a singer had appeared and they were playing Billie Holiday. Grant was back at their table with the drinks.

"Here you go," he said, handing Isis her drink. "Old Fashioned, just like you like it."

"Thank you," she said, looking down at her drink.

Grant rubbed the back of his neck. "Do you want to dance again?"

Isis looked at him. She knew she had to make a decision, but she could pretend for awhile longer. "I'd love to."

Billie Holiday's Guilty began playing as they made their way to the floor. Isis put her hands on Grant's shoulders and he put his hands on her hips.

"Oh I love this song," Isis said, humming the tune.

"I know I already said this, but thank you for coming tonight. You saved me."

Isis smiled. "Of course. I had a good time."

Grant pulled her close and was absentmindedly making small circles on her lower back. It was distracting, but she didn't want it to stop. She became hyper aware that their bodies were pressed close together. He was looking into her eyes with a little smile and his heart was beating so fast. She became lost in his eyes when he began to lean in closer. They were inches apart and she closed her eyes.

"Again I want to thank everyone for coming. Your limos are waiting outside when you are ready. Please be safe and have a good night." Jeanine turned off the microphone and looked towards Grant, frowning.

Isis blinked and stepped back. "I'm going to go find Jill." She turned and walked away as fast as she could.

_________________________________

*Author's note: Thank you for reading. We are almost done with this book. If you want, comment or vote. Let me know what you like so far or want to see in the next one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275K 17.1K 26
A young fairy's desire to break free from the restraints tethering her to her world, pushes her into the arms of a charming, young wolf, whose world...
471K 15.6K 30
(Interracial Story) READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! A LOT OF MISTAKES PLUS I WAS LIKE 14 WHEN I WROTE THIS. NEEDS A LOT OF REWRITING. Athena is a beautiful yo...
66 20 27
Growing up for Naomi Warner was nothing less than a nightmare. She was bullied by her peers, and her home life wasn't always easy. On top of that, Na...
174K 5.4K 14
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪsᴛʀᴇss ᴏғ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ᴛʀᴀᴠᴇʟs ʙᴀᴄᴋ ɪɴ ᴛɪᴍᴇ 𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐘 ; ᴄʀᴏssᴏᴠᴇʀ copyright | @𝐚𝐯𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢