Weaving a Song

Por Venari

"Your child will be gifted. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. Be warned, she may not... Mais

Weaving a Song
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 108

908 33 5
Por Venari

April 3 3019 TA

Thranduil arrived at the Palace but slipped in without letting anyone else know. He slipped into his room and took off his armour. He ran water over his body to take off any blood that was still on him. He then changed into a black tunic, leggings, and boots. He slipped a cloak of the same color over his shoulders and hesitantly reached for the crown he wished dearly he had never had to make.

It was the crown of his mourning. It was a metallic black and shaped in the way of thorns. The thorns that represented the imaginary blades that seemed to pierce his heart the many times this had happened. He sighed as he looked at himself in the mirror. Things as this should not happen.

Then he slipped out into the hallways, avoiding everyone but who he sought. Tawarthion, meet me in my office.

When Tawarthion arrived he appeared shocked. "Your Majesty!"

"Sit," Thranduil said. Tawarthion was shocked into silence before he sat. "Listen, the battles are over and our forest has been won. The armies have orders already. When a quarter of the army returns here, make sure you send some of them out with healers for those who are injured and some out with those capable of reviving trees and making the forest flourish again. It is possible that Galadriel may also try to aid us in this, and all the help we can get is needed. Particularly where the forest was burned. I am leaving for Gondor. Wait for two weeks, and then send an ambassador that way. There is no need to bring a horse. Mine is already on its way. You are in charge."

"Thranduil!" Tawarthion cried as the king stood and made to leave.

"I threatened once to give you the throne, and now you will have it for a little while. Good luck," Thranduil said and was halfway out the door. "Oh, and tell Galion that my armour is awaiting him in my room." And then he disappeared.

"Why can I never win with him?" Tawarthion muttered.

April 5 3019

Legolas sat in the tent. He had left it a few times. On the first Elrohir had readily apologized profusely to him and Legolas had forgiven him without much thought. On the second he had rejoined the conscious fellowship members and had made attempts to act normal. Though it was clear he was not normal, it had been said that he was usually the first to make attempts to laugh and smile again. He never really smiled but he did give a few half-hearted laughs.

Gimli noted that he sang a few songs but they were much more somber than he usually sang. As of now, however, he sat silent next to his sister. Then he heard a choked breath and then a sigh. He turned to examine Haldir who had yet to make any move. "Haldir?"

Sweat beaded on the Marchwarden's forehead and Legolas worriedly put his hand on his forehead. Haldir became more and more restless and Legolas started to call for Aragorn before Haldir shot up violently. Legolas jumped back and then approached Haldir more cautiously. "Mellon?"

Haldir's eyes shot to his, looking cornered. Legolas lifted his hands and backed away. He watched as Haldir tried to stand but collapsed back onto the bed. Haldir frowned and inspected himself. Glancing up he first saw Legolas and then his eyes caught the figure lying beside him. His eyes widened and he started to stand and rush forward but Legolas caught him.

Murmuring softly he tried to calm what should have been his brother. Haldir, however, took one look at him and pulled away before running outside and into the woods.

*

Thranduil had gotten back onto the Eagle's back and it took off. Its wings beat gently as it turned southward and went toward Gondor. "We have always passed down our promise to your family from the same story. That you once saved one of us. For that we always respected you."

Thranduil remained silent.

"We helped you partly for your daughter's sake in the Battle of Five Armies. Your family is given less credit than it is due."

"I do not think-."

"You are stuck on my back for a couple of days. You are in no position to argue." The Eagle said. Thranduil fell silent once more. "As I was saying, your son has done brave deeds with the Fellowship. We were there. We were there when your daughter fell. Perhaps it is too soon, but you need to know."

"You saw what happened?"

"Yes, and I could show you, if you wanted to see. But I can also simply tell you if you cannot see it."

Thranduil was quiet for a minute. "I will see it." He said softly.

"As you wish, open your mind then." Thranduil closed his eyes. "You may want to lie your head down." Thranduil hesitated before leaning his body against the Eagle's back. Suddenly the eyes of his mind changed. He saw his daughter approach Sauron and his heart clenched. He watched the scene play out before him, the end wrenching his heart but he pushed his emotion down.

"What of the others?" Thranduil asked. "Did they survive?"

"Your son lives, at least last I knew. I am sorry I do not know of the others save for Mithrandir."

"Nay, it is fine." Thranduil said softly. The Eagle seemed to note his more strained tone.

"Sleep if you can. I will not let you fall." He said gently. Thranduil said nothing, but the Eagle felt his breathing even and the king fell asleep on the Eagle's back. He is a brave soul to keep going after so much.

*

"Legolas? Has something happened?" Estel asked and walked inside the tent. "We heard-."

Legolas was staring at the back of the tent. "Tis Haldir." Legolas said softly. "He just woke. I do not think he remembered what happened until he saw her. He was shaking. Then he ran out and into the woods I think."

"Should someone go after him?"

"I don't know." Legolas admitted. "I think he would like to be alone."

"Even if he hurts himself?" Legolas cocked his head and then took a step forward.

"You are right. I will follow after him." He said and headed out after Haldir.

Aragorn stared after him and then turned around and hoped for the best.

*

Haldir ran out into the woods, his mind flying through so many emotions he could never keep track of which ones they were. He collapsed to his knees and into the dirt of the forest, panting as if he had run for days instead of five minutes. His heart seared once in pain and he almost doubled over, and the images of the last few seconds he could actually remember replayed over and over again in his mind.

Crack! Haldir jerked his head up and looked around, his eyes wildly searching for whatever danger there was. When he calmed down, however, there was nothing more than a doe that was eyeing him nervously from its vantage point. The two of them stared at each other for a long moment before the doe took a step forward. Then he heard footsteps behind him and the doe took off in the other direction.

However, it had done him good. The shock to his system had calmed his previously roiling emotions. Pain still threatened to overwhelm him, but he could control it. He wiped his face on his shirt sleeve, slowly building a barricade around his emotions as he stood.

He turned, facing who he now realized was the Prince. He stopped short, both of them staring at each other once more. "Haldir-." The Prince started before he stopped.

"I am sorry," Haldir said. "I do not know what overcame me."

Worry passed over Legolas' face. "You cannot do this." He said softly. "I know what overcame you, it overcame me as well. You will fall into despair if you do not acknowledge and sort through it."

"Sort through it? I barely understand what is happening, how do you expect me to sort through it? Do not worry for me, I will be fine." Haldir said, and the surprisingly calm ellon walked past Legolas and back towards the camp.

"Haldir!" Haldir stopped and turned back partly as if mildly curious. Legolas was facing him but appeared speechless. "What are you doing?"

"I am walking." Haldir answered. Legolas opened his mouth again. Haldir turned back more fully. "As I said, do not worry for me. I will be fine." His face appeared completely stoic.

Legolas watched him go, now simply speechless. What has this done to him? Then he remembered what he had been like when his mother had died. Haldir had been a child and at first his grief was unstoppable but when he realized he was now responsible for both his siblings, he had stood numb and tearless and had gone off to Lórien to get his brothers. Haldir had told him his own father had been almost completely stoic in grief. Was this their way of coping? If so, it looked painful, very painful.

*

Rúmil and Orophin had both felt the wave of sorrow that passed through both of them at the moment when Haldir had woken. They had been toward the back of the army once clean up began and they were charged with piling the bodies brought to them for them to be eventually burned.

"What do you think has happened?" Rúmil asked softly.

"I do not know." Orophin answered. "I wish we could go to him."

"Can we not? We are not needed here, there is plenty of souls here."

"What of horses? It will take a week or two to get there on foot, and our horses are back in Lórien."

"But that is not far, we could reach our home by tomorrow if we hurry."

"You are right, but will our Lady give us leave?"

Rúmil stared off toward where the main party of their army still resided. "Perhaps," he paused, "But what if our uncle spoke for us?"

"That is a thought. Is he even still here?" Orophin asked.

"I am not sure. I last saw him about to talk to Lord Celeborn four days ago."

"When our break comes, then we shall look for him. If he is not here, we will simply have to take our chances. I am worried for him, Rúmil. I have not felt this much sorrow from him since our mother died."

Rúmil's eyes clouded with worry, but as he had been newly born he had no memory of such sorrow. "I am worried as well." He said softly. "The sooner we leave, the better chance we have of getting to him before-." He stopped himself before following his thoughts through to conclusion.

Orophin silently put his hand on Rúmil's shoulder before he walked away.

*

Once they were on their break they walked through the forest toward the campgrounds. They did not see Thranduil, but they found Ortherion quite quickly. "Is the King here?" Orophin asked the Commander.

"Nay, he went back to the Palace four days ago. Whether he is still there or not, I do not know. I have not received word from him since." Ortherion narrowed his eyes at them. "Why?"

Orophin fell silent. If the King has left, what if he also went to Gondor? Rúmil asked suddenly much more worried.

What do you mean?

Remember what Haldir told us? He was bound to the Princess, if not in marriage then in the strange bond they shared. The only thing besides one of us dying that could cause him such pain-.

Would be the Princess. Orophin finished sighing. It does not seem like anyone here knows. If he truly took off without saying anything-.

Both of them looked back at Ortherion who was now eyeing them much more suspiciously. "I apologize for bothering you." Orophin said softly. "We merely wished to see him." Both brothers started to walk away before Ortherion reached out and grabbed Orophin's arm.

"What do you know?" Ortherion asked lower. Orophin's eyes widened slightly. Ortherion suddenly glanced around to see if there were any eavesdroppers before he almost dragged Orophin further from the campgrounds. "I can see it in your eyes, do not lie. He took off suddenly and without warning, and during the battle there was one point where we feared we lost him. What do you know?"

So it is true.

Aye. "I cannot lie because I am not completely sure of the truth myself." Orophin answered. "Our family is close to his. He practically raised Rúmil for the first twenty-five years of his life. All we know is that something has happened. We were hoping he would still be here so we could ask him ourselves. If he was, we also wanted to see if he could convince our Lady that we could leave. I feel there is a need for urgency." Ortherion's eyes inspected his.

Ortherion was the closest person to the King outside of his family, and Thranduil had confided in him before. He had known something was bothering Thranduil, and something had continuously tugged on his subconscious since. "I know." Ortherion finally said. "I do not know what it could have been, but now suspicion grows in my mind. Suspicion that, if proven true, could mean we must choose a new king." Ortherion glanced up at the sky. "Go, I will tell Galadriel I sent you off on a mission. Thranduil left me in charge, and I will try to give a credible excuse, though she might already know if something has happened."

"If so," Orophin said, "She has kept it to herself."

"Well, that's not surprising." Ortherion muttered. Then he fell silent and stared southward for a few minutes. "Go, and hurry on your way." He finally said and turned away. Rúmil and Orophin glanced at each other before they took off, racing through the woods back toward their home.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

137K 3.8K 91
A girl from the 21st century, Jannidriel Smith came to Middle-earth for saving it to the Dark Lord, Sauron and to rewrite the prophecy written in th...
16.6K 299 24
For everyone who dreams of a life far, far away in Middle Earth. Settling down with one of the fine Elves Tolkien created. This is a collection of fl...
885K 21.7K 55
Amara is the youngest child of Elrond and Celebrian. After her mothers departure nothing is the same in Rivendell. When Elrond comes back from Mirkwo...
135K 3.5K 25
[Highest Rank: 1 in Lord Of The Rings] "love is a strange thing. Once it happens, nothing and no one can change it, in any condition.". Niphredil Ele...