Heir to the Ice Queen (Book 1)

By Jazzie_delrey

The land is always covered in snow, so how can anything - let alone anyone - survive there? They don't. ... More

Prologue
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch.4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Ch. 21
CH 22
Ch. 23
Ch. 24
Ch. 25
Ch. 26
Ch. 27
Ch. 28
Ch. 29
Ch. 30
Ch. 31
THANK YOU!!
ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

Ch. 10

4.6K 340 12
By Jazzie_delrey

     He didn't close his eyes, he just continued to watch me. I walked over to the floor where my bed was and sat with my back against the wall, watching him too. Two can play that game, and I'll win.

     Minutes went by and his eyes started to droop, his blinking wasn't as fast. The day's adventures and the suns heat were catching up with him. A few more minutes passed and the sleep won, he didn't open his eyes and his breathing was steady.

     I on the other hand wasn't tired, but I was curios as to where he put my dagger. It wasn't on his body, so he must have hid it from me. I just needed to get that back and then I'll be on my way. I can ask a stranger help for directions, a simple smile goes a long way. I wasn't going to stay here anymore.

     I make a move to stand and the floor squeaks, Ray sits up so quickly that it makes me jump. His eyes are on me, his breathing is back to being heavy and harsh, while in his right hand he holds my dagger. Of course he would keep it near him, like under his pillow for a fast grab.

     "Calm down, shesh. I was only trying to get comfortable on my new bed," I whispered harshly to him.

    I fluff the pillow and fold the blanket so it can take away some of the harshness of the wood flooring and then lay on my back. Ray is still sitting up, rubbing his face with frustration.

     "You know, if you want to stay awake we can talk this out?" I say, "So you won't fall asleep, again."

     He doesn't say anything back.

     "Still no conversation?" 

      Nothing, no reply. I sigh in frustration. 

     "You're really starting to annoy me Ray, if you want me out of your hair then fine," I stand," I'll go back to where you found me, and you'll never see me again."

     I take a step towards the door, he stands ready to stop me. I turn back to him, I really am tired of this hostility from him. If I wanted to be watched then I would rather be at my own home, on familiar land, with people who at least respect me and my power.

     "What do you want from me?" I ask.

     Still nothing.

     "Ugh, you know what-" I take a step near him, the same time he does. Now we're inches apart, he's looking down on me and I have to lift my neck slightly to see his face.

     "I do not have time for this. I am not going to be your prisoner, or better yet I am not going to sit around and wait for you to trust me. It's your own damn fault for being so naive about someone who has a pretty face."

     "Where are you going then hu? Tell me," he said it like he was testing me.

     "I need to find out who my father is," I said.

     "Why?"

     "Why? Because of this," I lift up my hands, there are no flames on them now but he gets the point.

      "So you ran away from home, to find you're dad," he asked.

      "Yes."

      "And you're proof is your power?"

      "Pretty hard core proof," I replied.

      "So that's the reason you left home?" he asked more softly.

      I nodded my head.

     The softness in his face left, "Then why did you say that today was your first time even knowing you can control fire?" He asked suspiciously, "You left home two days ago, you 'learn' about fire just now. Your story is not adding up Nova. And that's why I don't trust you."

     Well, shit.

     "So what is it Nova? Are you lying to me about finding your father?"

     "No I-" I try to speak, but its clearly still his turn.

     "Or are you actually really good at playing the innocent girl-"

     "Woah, I am not innocent-" 

     "who wants our pity-"

     "Pity? I don't want your pity," I interrupt.

     "but is really sent from someone in the castle to hurt my sister and I."

     I stay quiet. No story I tell him will make him comfortable with me again. The only one will be the truth, and even then he will hate me even more when he realizes who I really am.

    Moments pass and we're still so close together. I let out a sigh and move to sit on his bed, he stays standing over me.

     "Look Ray, I really am trying to be as honest as I can be without letting you know the whole truth," I begin.

     "Just tell me the whole truth Nova."

     I hold up my hand to stop him from speaking any further, "I can't tell you the whole truth without putting you and myself in danger."

     "Danger from who?" He asks.

     "Someone who's stronger than me - for now."

     He stays quiet, thinking it over. He doesn't look so angry with me anymore, just tired. Tired from the lies and games I'm sure.

     "Who are you?" 

     "Someone who's just trying to get the the summer castle now."

     "Why?"

      "To find out who my father is," I reply.

     "And?" he asks.

     "And what?"

     "You didn't know you were someones offspring of the court until your outburst. So that means you had an original motive to head towards the castle, I'm asking about that one," He crosses his arms, making sure the daggers edge doesn't slice him.

      "Like I said, someone's stronger than me for now. I need the summer courts help in stopping them," I look him in the eyes, "That's the first reason as to why I am here."

     He looks confused, "Who's so powerful that you need the courts help in stopping them. Summer land is as peaceful as it's ever been."

     I stay quiet, I wasn't going to lie, and I wasn't going to give him every detail.

     "You can't tell me who's threatening the very land I live on?" he raises his voice in frustration.

     "Well the person isn't threatening your precious summer land, so calm down."

    "Then who's such a big threat-" he stops.

      I look at him, the wheels in his head are turning.

      "Nova where are you from?"

     "I can't answer that," I say quietly.

       "Are you even from summer?" He questions me.

     "My father is," I reply.

     "And your mother?" he continues.

     This time I don't reply though. I'm not worried that he'll put the pieces of my life together. No one has ever looked at me and thought that I belonged to the winter court. My skin, hair, and eyes are all too dark to even compare to a winters pale and light features.

      "Is another court the threat to summer?" he seems a little worried now.

      "No other court is looking to start a war with summer. This is mealy my own mission," I tell him.

      I turn around and look at the window, it's still dark out but the sun will star to rise in a few hours.

     "We should get some sleep," I stand up and walk over to my spot on the floor. Ray grabs my hand, gently.

       "Take the bed," he looks at me, his face is blank but his eyes show that he's sorry for treating me so badly. 

     He sits on the floor, and I sit back on the bed.

     "You know there's room for two on your bed," I tease.

     He smiles, just a little, "Go to sleep Nova."

     At least things are slightly better between us. He's still going to be cautious about me - I would do the same thing. Well actually I would torture to get the answers I want, but I'm not home and I've been a different person since I've came to summer. I'm starting to care like one of them.

---------

     I wake up just a little after the sun rises. Ray's still asleep on the floor, but I see Zinnia outside gathering vegetables from her garden. She walks around with a basket full of greens and reds, then she sets it down before she enters the chicken coop. When she comes out she's holding a chicken upside down, and it isn't moving.

     Guess that's for breakfast.

     I try to walk out of the room quietly but again this stupid wood creaking floor wakes up Ray. He doesn't wake up flustered like last night, he just opens his eyes and rubs his face to be more alert.

     "I saw Zinnia outside picking food, I was going to see if she wanted help," I tell him.

     He sits up and looks outside, "Crap, I slept in. She's going to be mad."

     We both walked outside and meet up with Zinnia, we all picked the food and farmed in silence. There was still that weird tension that came from Zinnia and Ray, but it wasn't irritatingly awkward. Plus Zinnia was by my side the whole time telling me what to do, because I had no idea how to farm.

     When we finished we got breakfast ready, chicken with some veggies.

     "So... " I said, as they began eating, "I've been thinking, I really do need to head for the castle. Zinnia you said you'd draw me a map, once you have it ready I'll go."

     Zinnia looked to Ray, she didn't know about Ray and I's heart to heart last night.

     "It's a weeks trip there on foot," Ray began, "but we can ask for horses from one of the villagers, making it a 3 days trip."

     Zinnia turns back to me and pulls a sheet out from her cooking apron, "Here's the map."

     I open it, there's a short cut to the castle but it has some tricky roads. The easier rout seems a little longer but it's safer, just following the beach south to the court. The map has the borders drawn out too, and I see that spring is east and my winter is up north.

     "Thank you," I tell her, "I guess I'll leave right now."

      "But you haven't ate," Ray said.

     "I'm not hungry," I replied, "Here, you guys have it. The suns starting to get stronger, and I rather leave now then later."

     "Are you trying to die of a heat stroke?" Zinnia asked, "You're seriously not going to take anything? No food, no water?"

     Ray turns to his sister, "Thats how I found her before," he mutters.

      "You know you can't drink the ocean Nova," Ray said, and when I looked confused he continued, "It's salt water, it'll make you thirstier."

     "Nova you won't last a day out there," Zinnia said in her 'i don't care' attitude, still eating her food.

     "Did no one hear me say 'we' could get horses," Ray looks around, "as in, Zinnia and I are coming with you Nova."

      Zinnia stopped eating and looked up, both her and I gave Ray a shocked look.

     "What?" we both say in unison.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

448K 27.3K 66
"You just love getting yourself into trouble, don't you?" Moonwitches, the rarest and most powerful beings in the entire universe. They are favored b...
487 22 14
Yes in this y/n also has powers she's friends with the gang She's sisters with sunset shimmer for all books I'm making in the flash x readers Y/ns p...
289 2 15
(*PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT*) Zora's parents knew she was powerful the day she was born. She almost innocently killed her cousin before she was even a...
1.6K 96 27
***This is Book 1*** Please Be Aware That This is a First Draft Nisha Caldwell finds a stranger, an intruder in her house. The stranger, who calls hi...